Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Solo & Mute Buttons At Last!! wishfull thinking ?

RealBand
J
Expert
Expert
J
Hi Musocity

Where does one find the button for the new mixer in Realband i can`t find it anywhere and looking closly at your pitcher i cant see it on your computer just the ordinary mixer

regards Dave

I always play the right notes but not always in the right order
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Dave -

Quote:

i can`t find it anywhere

That's because there isn't one. He has simply superimposed the BIAB mixer onto the RealBand screen, hence the "wishful thinking" comment.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Which is really silly since there are solo and mute buttons on the Tracks screen behind the mixer..

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey guys, if you would like this to be added to RB please go here and request it:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=325438&an=0&page=0#Post325438

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Which is really silly since there are solo and mute buttons on the Tracks screen behind the mixer..

I can't see them, i only see one blue solo button

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Clicking the checkmark on a track (by the track name) will mute it.
Highlite any track and solo it.

I realize it is one more click to solo a track.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
As I said in another post, you can ctrl-click multiple tracks to solo them. However, as Musocity pointed out, you can't then select multiple bars from the chord chart to play; it selects all tracks when you do that. But in the tracks and mixer window, you can ctrl-click to select multiple tracks to solo.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
RealBand
J
Expert
Expert
J
thanks john i only asked as im having problems getting the volumes to stay i`m using garritans aria and its very hard to keep the volumes at a level they seem to drift when you shut down the mixer on the Aria which you use first to set the volumes on the tracks you use the big band and jazzband instruments on,so you can never get the tracks volumes to stay ok over all and the main mixer seems a bit useless overall

regards Dave

I always play the right notes but not always in the right order
RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
You do know the existing mixer window can be sized to float over the tracks window.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
This is just to show that BB has solo mute buttons but RB don't, in BB you can only solo one track at a time, so when they put it in RB you would need to be able to solo more than one track at a time. In RB at the moment it is a pain in the ass soloing the tracks you need to hear and them staying soloed especially if you are working with a hell of a lot of tracks.

Other DAW, All with Solo Mute Buttons

Pro Tools

Cubase

Adobe Audition

Audacity

Kristal

Sony Vegas (video & audio)

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
A lot of work telling us something we already know!

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

we meaning everyone ?

RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I don't understand?!?! RB has solo buttons on both the tracks view and the Mixer view?!?!

ML, what am i missing? I can solo one or all the tracks in RB, 1. hold down ctrl and hit click each track you want and hit solo. 2. hold ctrl, and click the solo button on each track.

The solo is the "S" button on the tool bar, and the mute is the green check mark on each track.

Are you saying that it does not stay solo-ed? Or that you want a solo button on each track?

Please clarify.

Last edited by Robh; 07/25/11 04:31 PM.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

In RB at the moment it is a pain in the ass soloing the tracks you need to hear and them staying soloed especially if you are working with a hell of a lot of tracks.

RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Repeating what you said does not clarify what you mean, although i understand now. It is there, just a different step process, i guess i am just so used to it.

Is the fact that you click any track and it unsolos the others what you object to?

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Ok click the blue solo button, use the ctrl key to select the tracks you want to solo

now select the region you want to hear

now click "Play Selected Area"

now select another region you want to hear

now click "Play Selected Area"

RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Where is this "play selected area"? I looked under every tab and could not find it. I right clicked the track in the wave file, and the track area.

I did as you asked I was able to:

1. solo any or all tracks i want with the ctrl key and those played fine.

2. select a region or area of a track, and hold ctrl, and have the selected area apply to more than one track. But hitting play made it play the soloed tracks but not the selected areas only, it kept playing after the highlighted area, and only on the soloed tracks.

Next i opened cakewalk MC5 and selected two tracks to solo and selected an area, and it played both selected tracks, but did not single out the highlighted areas.

Are you looping an area? I was able to set a looped region and solo it, and add other tracks to the solo with ctrl i can release any and change from one to another.

Yes in RB, if you solo two or three tracks and then click on one of them to select a region it will cancel the solo and apply it to that track only. In MC5 it will stay soloed, but not do anything else. SO you might not have the feature to hold the solo-ed tracks, but in MC5 you can't one click and release the solos so one is not really better it is just a different approach.

Am I still missing the point, or did i understand, and just don't see the importance of this?

I really am being sincere.

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey man one click will save all this hassle. "solo click"
No one is saying that you can't solo tracks in RB, but when your are using it every day
time is wasted, I want to solo the tracks i want and STAY soloed no mater what i do.
For the work you do you are obviously happy with how it works and don't need PG to improve anything.

Industry Standard

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

we meaning everyone ?

Yes. I doubt that there's anyone here that doesn't know that the mixer in RB doesn't follow the standard console layout. Yes I would also like the M S R buttons for each track. I would also like to choose the recording source for each track from a drop down however I can live without them also.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Solo is missing, but doable, mute is actually there it just is not called mute, record is handled differently instead of arming a track, like Sonar or Cubase you highlight it and then hit record.

So I understand what you want, you want RB to function like all other programs out there, "Industry Standard" as you call it. Cool I guess I would be fine with that addition, although that means that the other side of it will not be the same. No longer can you cancel soloed track with out clicking each one of them. So you save a step on one end, and add one on the other. I would have to mull that over a while to see if it is a net gain.

One think to think about, there is a lot about RB, and PTPA for that matter that is not Industry standard. If it was would it be unique.

There are a few upgrade that most of us feel are needed, like finally adding a true node based automation feature, rather than the drag in piano roll, or fader record like it has now.

Oh and the picture you used for illustration, well many folks drive an automatic transmission, so your industry standard might not be someone elses. Just sayin'

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

thanks john i only asked as im having problems getting the volumes to stay i`m using garritans aria and its very hard to keep the volumes at a level they seem to drift when you shut down the mixer on the Aria which you use first to set the volumes on the tracks you use the big band and jazzband instruments on,so you can never get the tracks volumes to stay ok over all and the main mixer seems a bit useless overall

regards Dave

Dave, you have a confusing way of writing but if I'm understanding you correctly, your problem with individual track volumes can be related to your midi file itself. There have been tons of posts about that problem especially with midi files you download from the internet. Check your event list (hit F2 per track) to see if there's any embedded CC7 volume controllers. If there are then that's your problem. You can change the sliders all you want but as soon as you hit play again, RB is reading that embedded volume and changes it back. You need to either be aware of that and work around it or delete those and create new ones. If you delete all embedded CC7's then your mixer moves and volume sliders will stick. The reason I say you may want to keep those and work around it is because some midi's I've downloaded are actually very good and the person wrote in some good dynamics into the file. Once I realized what's happening I also realized I didn't want to delete all those because I like having some dynamics in most tunes. Other midi's, those CC7's are not for dymanics, they're just for the overall track to track mix and the mix in the file doesn't work with the synth I'm using so those I will either change or delete.

This situation is why people shouldn't lump Real Band with Biab. They're totally different programs. RB is a audio/midi sequencer and it's designed for this kind of detailed work with midi files, Biab is not. Plopping Biab's mixer into RB would do nothing with embedded CC7's in a midi file.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Jford had a good point, about not being able to select certain tracks from the chords view, you could select a range of bars, but it played all tracks. But last i check no other DAW had a Chords view, so really that is not a deficency really. That view is not for soloing and testing parts of track per se.

Is not the mute button the same as a reverse solo?

Could you not open the chords view above the mixer view and highlight a range or bars and mute the tracks you do not want to hear, and leave the others "live"?

Seems like a decent workaround for now.

I remember a discussion a few years back on another forum board regarding the difference between mute ansd solo. Seems that they do exactly the same thing only backwards.

I also remember Rharv telling me once that all the tools are there, they are just a tad different from usual. Kind of the OP's point i think.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Workflow is important though; more so to some than others. I happen to find RB (and PT)intuitive, but I cut my teeth with them. I find Audition to be very cumbersome. Reaper I can deal with, but still not 'comfortable'. TBH this whole idea should be in the wishlist forum where Peter and Jeff may see it better. I wouldn't mind seeing it as an added feature. May not use it much but others may. If it makes the program better for some (without causing problems) why not? I still want a single click to the mastering FX section (A1 FX) with one click ... so I just keep asking.

I may the only one asking though. They could call it the rharv version! (and blame me if people don't like it).

RealBand
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Musocity,

Many thanks for the suggestions, and the screenshots. I agree with that idea, of the M S R buttons, hopefully it is something we can add.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

????

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

????

What?

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
There's all kinds of room on that tracks window to function as both. Shame that you have to flip/stack/arrange, just to do a simple task like mutes/solos/etc.

In that huge circle on the left in each track showing a depiction of a waveform - there's where you put them.

RealBand
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
"M S R buttons"

Great, no need for massive long discussion, it's a no brainer, just do it already.

RealBand
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
2011, Gee that Floating Mixer was ahead of it's time,
2017 Floating Mixer and Mixer Enhancements

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,745
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191