Band-in-a-Box for Windows
J
Jed Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Hi All,

I'm totally new to this....got BIAB 2011 Everythinpak(plus the 20 pak)a few days ago...I have a few problems getting it to work properly and I expect it's all "finger trouble" on my part, and I haven't read the whole manual yet!! Also am a bit stumbly with computers...

Anyway,

1 Worked ok'ish first test (put in a few chords) and used style already set..only snag was song seemed distorted at first then "sorted itself out?

2 Put in a few basic chords and selected style British Pop Physc 1 (or something!) to try and get a pink floyd (guess my age!) sound. When I tried to play it I got no sound at all though though "cursor" moved through the chords. Tried it with a different but similar style with same result.

3. Selected a Jazz type style which played but intially was really distorted as if trying to sort itself out on first run through...it got better'ish if I left it playing.

I'm running BIAB via USB and I've installed the 20 pak onto my C drive...assume this is OK? Any advice gratefully received, thank you.

Regards,

Dave

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Jed,

Welcome to the forums. It's certainly a bit of a learning curve when you first start out learning Band In A Box. Well worth the effort, though!

One thought that came to mind regarding your problem ...

Did you run the installation program on the USB drive to set your computer up so that it can run BIAB properly on the external drive?

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
J
Jed Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Hi Noel,

Thanks for the quick response!

Well..I thought I'd done the installation properly but I ran the installation thing again(or maybe I dream't the 1st one?) and things now seem to work OK in as much as the styles selection seem to work OK now...many thanks.

I still get a bit/alot of distortion if I change something (e.g. key of song) and I can't stop it as mouse button becomes ineffective? Any suggestions welcome...but I'm much happier now...thanks again.

I think your right about the learning curve but I do believe it will be worth the effort!

...mmm where did I put the user guide!!

Regards,

Dave

Veteran
Veteran
What kind of system are you using, Jed?
Give us specs.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
J
Jed Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Hi rharv,

Thanks for the post. Here is the spec (hopefully all that's needed?) of my computer;

Computer - Advanced configeration & power interface (computer built be local shop)

Operating sysytem - windows XP

Processor - AMD Athlon (tm) XP 2400+ , 2.01 GHz , 1.46 GB RAM

Display adaptor - S3 graphics Prosavage DDR (microsoft corp)

Audio & Mixer device - Vinyl AC'97 codec combo driver (WDM)

Can honestly say this is first time I've known so much about my computer...but it doesn't mean too much to me!! If I've missed a vital piece of spec please let me know.

While I'm at it could I ask if you have any idea why I might be getting an error message when I try to run chord finder. Funkizfide (?)as submitted a post about it...error code seems to imply a problem with the graphics card?

Many thanks.

Regards,

Dave

Veteran
Veteran
Hi again, Jed,
Quote:

I still get a bit/alot of distortion if I change something (e.g. key of song) and I can't stop it as mouse button becomes ineffective

This sounds like a processor issue (which is the path rharv is walking down).

Does the problem happen early after generating the song (i.e. hitting "Play")? How BIAB works is that once a few bars of the song have been generated, the remainder of the song is generated as a background process. Under Opt. | Preferences | Realtracks, disable the "Speed up generation of Realtracks" and see if that makes a difference. With this disabled, the song won't play until it has been completely generated. This means, it will take a little longer for the song to start after hitting "Play".

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, try what Noel suggested for the posted problem. Will likely fix the issue.

You look a little light on RAM for the new stretching, my guess.
How do you end up with 1.46 RAM in a DDR machine?
There should be matched sticks of RAM installed for it to work correctly. That number raises my eyebrows a bit. Three 500 meg sticks?? This may be part of the problem.

We asked in the other thread- please tell us the correct name of the process you are trying. There is no 'Chord Finder' that I know of .. is it the Audio Chord Wizard??

Veteran
Veteran
Regarding 'Chord Finder'-

See Andrew's post in this thread

Jed
I have a system with the Savage video running; I'll double check that it works on that system. I have updated those drivers a few years back though ..

*Edit
S3 Prosavage DDR runs fine here with ACW, using driver 6.13.10.1100 for what it's worth.
They were an update from eMachines at the time.

Last edited by rharv; 01/05/11 04:43 PM.

J
Jed Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Hi rharv & Noel96,

Thanks for the help...disabled speedup generation of realtracks as suggested and that seems to have done the trick..thanks.

Re the spec of my computer...I bought Guitar Pro 5 and it kept crashing - helpfull people on the web said it looked like a RAM problem (I only had 0.5 GB.) When I took the machine to the shop they said they could add 1 GB as it was or would have to replace RAM completely...looks like I made wrong decision and will have to go large anyway!!

Re the chord finder - looks like my S3 Prosavage DDR may need upgrading..have tried searching the web with little success (S3 pro savage site confused hell out of me...too many options!!).

Is emachines a web site I can use to upgrade?

I can see it will be sometime before I stop appearing in the forums as a newbee (!), but thanks to you guys I feel that progress as been made and I can start to "do something" with BIAB. Thanks again,

Regards,

Dave

Veteran
Veteran
That driver is also a cnet.com
Yes, there are a lot of versions out there.
I searched 'S3 Prosavage DDR 6.13.10.1100' to find the cnet link
You can always roll back the driver if it doesn't help.

What version of the driver are you currently using?

Control panel - system - hardware - device manager - display adapter - driver tab should show you the driver version.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Jed i also have a AMD 2400+ with XP it is my main DAW. It runs great, but i had to put two matched sticks of Ram in it 1 gig each. I had 512 to start, the added 1 gig like you and it reverted the machine to single round ram, and i had to remove the 512 to get it to work well, then i went down and got another 1 gig and it runs very strong and smooth.

Make sure that the ram sticks are all the same if you have 1 gig make sure that the speeds match and all that stuff. 1.5 gigs will work fine for things other than audio and midi work which is always a big resource hog!

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
Jed,

I just upgraded to BIAB 2011 and when I loaded in REALTRACKS DEMOs and tried to play them the sound was very choppy and distorted. When I brought up the Windows TASK MANAGER I discovered that my CPU Usage was at a constant 100%.

To read my thread go to REALBAND Form and look for the Subject Titled:
Using DXi and VSTi Synthesizers - RealBand 2010_5 Manual Page 51.

Bottom line is this: I "had" a DELL Dimension 2.54GHz with 1Gb RAM installed. Playing REALTRACKS in BIAB 2011 caused the sound to be choppy.
I just upgraded my RAM to 2Gb and all runs GREAT now. Even rendering to WAV is mind boggling fast.

Now, I am not sure if your issue is RAM related.....I know adding the additional 1Gb to my PC fixed my issues.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,553
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199