Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
J
JonahR Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Howdy Folks, should you always normalize your tracks in BIAB and RB before mastering? I've tried mastering normalized tracks and not normalized tracks and the final output doesn't seem to have much difference (not that I can tell)--the volume and overall sound is more or less the same, after applying mastering compression. Is there a reason to normalize tracks before mixing/mastering? Or it doesn't matter?

Thanks, J

Veteran
Veteran
I do but I'm old school were you wanted all your tracks on tape to be as hot as possible. Less noise that way.With digital it doesn't really matter.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
J
JonahR Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Quote:

I do but I'm old school were you wanted all your tracks on tape to be as hot as possible. Less noise that way.With digital it doesn't really matter.

Hi John, Thanks for the info. Tons more to learn! J

H
Apprentice
Apprentice
H
When you normalize a track, it moves all the audio samples in the file up by the same amount, so that the highest sample value is at or near the maximum allowed (0 dB) (or the level you specify). If your peak sample is already near that, then there won't be any noticeable increase in volume. If the peak sample started at -6 dB, and you normalized to 0 dB, then you'd get a 6 dB gain in volume that would be noticeable.

If you were going to get a file professionally mastered, they want the peaks at around -3 dB, not at the maximum.

Veteran
Veteran
So one thing to point out is that when you raise the whole track 6dB (as in Hog Time's example) you are also rasing the noise floor by that amount. That is something to listen for.
Whether you normalize everything is up to you, although once you do it means starting the mixing process all over again, because one track may have been increased 18dB and another only 2.
The time to get the good levels is during the recording process so the signal-to-noise ratio is good and the convertors are getting a good strong signal to work with.

For what it's worth I don't normalize every track. I rarely normalize any tracks, but will use the gain change plugin if a track needs it. A lot of realdrum tracks seem to need a little boost I've noticed.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

So one thing to point out is that when you raise the whole track 6dB (as in Hog Time's example) you are also rasing the noise floor by that amount. That is something to listen for.
Whether you normalize everything is up to you, although once you do it means starting the mixing process all over again, because one track may have been increased 18dB and another only 2.
The time to get the good levels is during the recording process so the signal-to-noise ratio is good and the convertors are getting a good strong signal to work with.

For what it's worth I don't normalize every track. I rarely normalize any tracks, but will use the gain change plugin if a track needs it. A lot of realdrum tracks seem to need a little boost I've noticed.

Agree. I just didn't say it quite right.I meant I usually normalizes all RTs & Rds.Self recorded tracks are done hot to start.This is all done before the mix.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
F
Journeyman
Journeyman
F
It also depends on the Real Track. Some of the newer electric guitar parts are already pretty compressed and "hot", so you won't hear a lot of difference.

One thing to bear in mind is that, if you are recording your own parts as well for use in RB, Sonar or whatever, you might be better off normalising in those programmes, or just using the faders the old fashioned way except with automation(!), as, if the RTs are already very hot, you might find that, if you have to use shed loads of gain on your own parts to match them, you will end up with a lot of noise as well. You can hide this within a distorted electric guitar part, but it is harder to remove from your own vocal, acoustic guitar or whatever. Generally, I wouldn't ever normalise in BAIB for that reason. I tend to normalise in Sonar and either use the fader or apply gain to the part in small increments till it sounds right. It takes about 5 minutes more, but you end up with better balanced parts. Just my view ...

Brian

R
Veteran
Veteran
R

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Veteran
Veteran
I liked the article, the only comment I have is to partially disagree with their statement "Normalizing is indistinguishable from moving a volume knob or fader."

Sliders and knobs in DAWs only reduce a track from it's peak volume downward. Setting all sliders all the way up only stops any reduction from taking place.

Now if it were inside a different setup where the track could have an amplification source, I would pretty much agree. But then we wouldn't be discussing normalization.

Expert
Expert
I would say never normalize individual tracks. I think the volumes of the tracks should be determined by the mix itself. Normalizing each individual track has to lead to a dull, muddy mix. If all tracks become louder, then the final master bus will require more compression to keep the whole thing from clipping (although, in reality, I have no idea what I am talking about).

Kevin

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Quote:

Sliders and knobs in DAWs only reduce a track from it's peak volume downward. Setting all sliders all the way up only stops any reduction from taking place.

In my DAW I can raise the level with faders (going over 0.0).

edit: oh sorry - I think I do know now how this was meant. But at least we have the gain control at the very beginning of each channel or one could apply a gain plug helping out if there's no such input gain control. I would strongly recommend never to maximize tracks nor to go over -12 to -6 peak on 16 bit tracks. It strongly depends on what plugins one uses on the tracks and on what level they operate best. -18 db is the equivalent of 0 on a VU meter in the analog world.
Here's some in-depth information by one of the most accomplished engineers in the field (Paul Frindle). I suggest starting to read at post #71 (in the upper right hand corner) and if you're interested I would strongly recommend reading all the posts made by Paul Frindle in this long thread. VERY insightful.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-g...restored-3.html

BTW: ITB just means "In The Box" which means on a computer DAW as opposed to analogue OTB (Out Of The Box) gear. It took me a while to get this first.

Cheers, Daniel

"Plugins use the same reference at real equipment. Never try and drive them to the top of the Digital scale. Don't try and make your mix look like a master. You don't do that on an analog console, so why do we do it ITB?
"if your production environment dictates that you must provide limited, maximised and level-blasted material, just do it at the end"

Last edited by deltagolf; 03/10/11 03:40 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
That was fun reading,
Thanks

I'm going to try the X-ISM meter suggested, I have been using Parmeter for that purpose usually. I like how it keeps a record of the various ways to read levels for you.

Last edited by rharv; 03/10/11 09:06 AM.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi rharv,

Quote:

What gain change plugin do you use?

Col

WIN 10, BIAB WIN2022, Studio One 5, Audient iD4
Veteran
Veteran
I was referring to RB, lost track of which forum I was in, apparently.
edit-audio effects-gain change

Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

I was referring to RB, lost track of which forum I was in, apparently.
edit-audio effects-gain change

Hi rharv,
That's what I assumed. So when you say you don't "normalize", do you just untick the "pre normalize" check box, that comes on automatically when you select "boost" from the edit-audio effects-gain change-boost dropdown?
Col

Veteran
Veteran
Yes, then set the decibels I want. Safe to leave the post limit checkbox.

Journeyman
Journeyman

Thanks for the advice rharv, much appreciated.

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I would say never normalize individual tracks. I think the volumes of the tracks should be determined by the mix itself. Normalizing each individual track has to lead to a dull, muddy mix. If all tracks become louder, then the final master bus will require more compression to keep the whole thing from clipping (although, in reality, I have no idea what I am talking about).

Kevin

+ 1

Trax

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

Kevin

+ 1

Trax

Another +1

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I can't tell you whether or not to do something like this for the simple reason that I cannot HEAR your tracks.

In other words, they maybe could stand a bit of Normalization, perhaps only one or two of them might, or perhaps the composite might benefit from one single Normalization pass, or then again perhaps Normalization is not the proper tool at all for that particular set of tracks and we may elect to use an instance of Compression, again maybe only on some of the separate tracks, also maybe a Mastering Pass with the Compressor as well.

It may seem to be the easier path, looking for blanket recipes or routines that will deliver the magic goodstuff every time, but quite honestly I do not know of anything like that which can compete with trained mind, ears, knowledge, experience, measurement tools and time. YMMV -- and so will your sonic results.

That said, if you are using Realtracks, the hard truth is that they need very little massaging to sound good, the pgmusic demos are done and posted "as-is" right out of BiaB.

--Mac

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,605
Posts735,009
Members38,513
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon, Xtian, michael07716
38,513 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186