Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
G
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
G
Hi,
Because the soundcanvas doesn't work in win7 I had to look for another option and i found the VX. I'm having trouble getting BIAB to recognize it and I could use some help.
Under Options/Midi Driver setup is chose VST/DXI. A window pops up and again I choose options. scan for plugins does not turn anything up so when I manually register the dll my BIAB just hangs.
What am I doing wrong?

Veteran
Veteran
Couple things off the top of my head-

Is the file in a zip file/folder that hasn't been extracted yet?

Does the dll file have an associated install file (executable) that installs the synth to the system (required for DXi synths, but not for VSTi synths)?
If so, have you ran that installer?

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
G
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
G
The dll is just sitting in my programs folder.No zip file there
emudspdetect.exe is another file but I don't know what it does.

J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Hi gimmeagig,

I don't recommend Proteus VX at all for BIAB. It has some great sounds, and the price is right, but it's not GM compatible and even though you can load a VX patch map, it will still load the wrong sounds. You can work around this by turning off patch changes in BIAB and manually loading the patches you want for whatever style you are playing. The problem is--if there would normally be a nice patch change anywhere in that style, you won't get it. Another problem is when you change styles, if you need a Rhodes instead of a grand, of jazz drums instead of a standard kit, you have to load them yourself.

However if you want to install Proteus, run setup.exe. It should be in the ProtVX folder, which should be in your Proteus VX folder. When it asks you what folder to install to take note where you install to. Then the very next thing it will ask is where you want to park the vst. If you don't have one already, I recommend creating a folder on the c drive and name it Steinberg then a sub folder under that named VstPlugins. What ever you choose to do here, remember the folder because that's where the install program is going to park ProteusVX.dll which is the synth itself and what you want to navigate to from BIAB. Once you get it installed you should be able to load it in BIAB.

Once loaded, up toward the top left of Proteus click the open folder icon and find - Proteus X Composer v2.0.1.exb -, load it and you should have sounds. Tip: Any time Proteus pops up with - the samplers memory has changed, save changes? - always choose no because those changes will be saved to the exb file and you don't want to change that. If you have a certain group of sounds you want to save, then save them as a bank or multi and thats fine. Hope this helps and good luck.

Jim

G
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
G
Hi Jim,
Thank you very much for that explanation. It doesn't surprise me that the proteus isn't GM compatible. I used to have the hardware model and I got rid of it for that reason. I'll uninstall the VX as well. I don't understand why e-mu doesn't spend any time to make their stuff more accessible to the average person.
I'm sorry there's no easy solution for it.I had to get a new laptop and now I have win 7 so the vsc doesn't work anymore, the onboard sounds are very bland and there doesn't seem to be a good replacement for the vsc.I tried to look for the TTS1 but I can't find a download for it either.I do have it on my desktop computer but I don't have the sonar installation disk that it came from and I don't know if there is another way to transfer it to my laptop.

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I tried to look for the TTS1 but I can't find a download for it either.I do have it on my desktop computer but I don't have the sonar installation disk that it came from and I don't know if there is another way to transfer it to my laptop.

TTS-1 comes bundled with the different versions of Cakewalk products like Music Creator or Sonar and you were already told you had to buy it. I also explained to you that the Proteus is not GM. Why are you posting this in a new thread?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
G
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
G
Really sorry Bob, I read that you had the Emulator X studio, that it is not GM and that you didn't like it.I didn't realize that that is the same as the Proteus VX, that Dan mentioned.
So not realizing that, this new post was about how to get the VX working in BIAB as a dxi or a VST and it was more specific than the question in my other post.
I'm really not trying to waste anybody's time and I appreciate all the help I get here.I just plain misunderstood your response.I apologize!

Veteran
Veteran
No problem, everything's a judgement call. I try to keep things in the same thread if they're related.
Also try to get used to using "Forum Search". I just typed in TTS-1 and set it for 3 months and there's tons of discussions. If you went back a year you would find virtually any thing you want to know about the how's and why's of using that synth with Biab. I just put in Proteus for 3 months and there another big group of discussions for that too and most of them include Emulator X and Proteus. Unless a particular piece of equipment or software is brand new like it came out yesterday, it's guaranteed it's already been discussed not just once but multiple times. Reading all those threads in detail even if it doesn't directly answer your question is how you learn this stuff. After that if you still don't get it it's perfectly ok to post a new question to an old thread. All that does is resurrect it to the top in the forum list.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
You might look into soundfonts. You can download a version of the RGC:audio SFZ player here: http://www.soundbrewer.com/pages.php?pageid=20. Since you'll be running it in BIAB it should work ok in Win7. I don't know for a fact but it should.

There should be a gm sound font called - 32MbGMStereo.sf2 - floating around the web and it sounds pretty decent. I can't seem to find a link at the moment but there's a couple of fairly good gm sound fonts out there if you can find them.

Several members on the forums here have some gm soundfonts and they might know of some links to them.

Later,
Jim

Apprentice
Apprentice
I may be getting in way over my head here, but I know there are emulators out there for people that want to run old programs or games...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Virtual_PC

the 'stable release' is only out two months now, so it looks possible

just something else to think about.

BiaB/RB 2014 OmniPak
Juno-Gi Mobile Synth
Roland GR-20+GK-3 Guitar Synthesizer System
Godin Nylon String Synth Access Guitar
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,608
Posts735,031
Members38,514
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon, Xtian, michael07716
38,513 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186