Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#112616 04/25/11 01:41 PM
Off-Topic
T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Hi all. Hoping someone may have some advice for me on active speakers or reference monitors. No return when I search the forums on this which seems weird.

Anyhow, I use BIAB and other programs mostly to provide backing for tenor sax. So I need my sound system to be pretty beefy so I dont drown it out. I also do some mixing, (but not pro) so I want the sound to be reasonable quality and as flat as possible. Also of course I want to listen to general music on the same system. Also the speakers live on a busy desktop, so they cant be too huge. And there's a risk of the speakers getting knocked.

So I need a good few watts, good frequency response, not too big, and ideally a grill on the front. Oh yes and I'm skint.

Heres my observation on the following:
M-Audio AV40: compact, good price, have grill, bit low power at 30W RMS total, response bit low at bottom end.
M-Audio BX5a: bit too big, bit pricey, no grill, probably good for 70W RMS total + good response.
KRK Rokit 5: compact, big bucks, no grill, power and response good
Resolv A5: bit big, good price, grill on tweeter only, 75W RMS total, response bit iffy at low end
Alesis M1 Active 520/USB: bit big, no grill, bit pricey, 60W RMS total, response good
Behringer MS40: quite compact, cheap, grill on tweeter only,40W RMS??. response not quoted.
ESI Near 05: compact, bit pricey, no grill, 70W RMS??, response not quoted.

Anyone have any thoughts on this please? - I'd be grateful. TBH if I thought the AV40 would be loud enough I think I'd go with those - they seem to get good user reviews generally.
Cheers, Tommo

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Really all reference monitors will work, it is a matter of how clear and efficient you want them to be. The whole purpose of a reference monitor is to play back without adding "color" to the mix, so that you can hear as close as possible what is recorded.

The smaller ones will lack in Bass, the larger ones take up a lot of space. Once you refer, or listen to a lot of music in genres you like you can get a feel for what sounds right and mix your songs to that ideal, you will find out how to use them.

I personally would not buy under 5" and would prefer 8" woofs. I currently have M-Audio BX5As, and they do a great job. I am familiar with the sound of them.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
If all you need is backing for practicing and playing your Tenor, you may already have a good stereo hifi system, all you would need is the proper cable to connect computer audio or headphone out to the AUX input.

--Mac

Mac #112619 04/25/11 05:55 PM
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Quote:

If all you need is backing for practicing and playing your Tenor, you may already have a good stereo hifi system, all you would need is the proper cable to connect computer audio or headphone out to the AUX input.

--Mac

+1

Hit up the local Goodwill or equivalent in the UK for ultra cheap speakers and amps if you don't have this already.

Monitor speakers are really not designed for what you are doing - they are mainly used for mixing. Properly designed as near-field monitors, they will actually NOT work for what you are looking for. They are designed to be used in close proximity to the head.

Consider a good pair of headphones and a long extension cable as another viable alternative.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
While I still have my old stereo system, I find I rarely use it anymore, even when the music is cranked to play along with some high-energy Latin jazz. For one thing, it's rare I use the record player or even the CD player; instead most of my music is now on my computer in a whole different area of the house.

A studio monitor set smaller than maybe 6" probably will not give you enough power to practice with if you like to play loud. I have a set of 8" KRK monitors that do the job for me nicely for that. I don't mix with them, however; for mixing I prefer a set of 6" Mackie monitors in a small treated room.

I realize my post isn't helpful for you. Your needs are quite varied, and although I also play tenor sax, I use different rooms for different purposes. I would think 6" KRK might be the better choice from among the brands you listed. Note: I'm not familiar with the EMI brand. Good hunting!

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Hi and thanks for comments.
Yes I realise requirements for mixing and backing are a bit different - and I dont really need studio quality type reference monitors. I also realise that I can make use of conventional stereo system, and I do this sometimes downstairs.

But in my upstairs office/music room I dont have any amps, so I need something to run straight off the laptop - so its active speakers/reference monitors.

In fact as you say using headphones also works, but is aint quite the same - especially for anyone else in the house - they don't wanna hear my disemobied solo sax for hours!

I think I will go for "bang for buck" option. Rokit 8 sounds good - but we have a recession here in the UK!!

Anybody out there tried the Resolv A5?

Still would rather find something with grills. I think they do accesory grills for Rokits - I reckon I could just afford the grills...... but not the speakers.

Cheers Tommo

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Quote:

In fact as you say using headphones also works, but is aint quite the same - especially for anyone else in the house - they don't wanna hear my disemobied solo sax for hours!

Have you asked them this question? If sound travels through the house as well as you suspect, then they just MIGHT prefer to only a loud sax, instead of a loud sax AND the backing tracks.

As for grilles - the monitors belong on stands, at ear-level. If you aren't going to bother getting the monitors at proper listening level, quite honestly, you are wasting your money even bothering with monitors. The models you have listed are all near field monitors - intended to be used at ear-level. Putting them up at ear level should put them out of harms way. That's one of the reasons you don't see grilles on many systems intended for monitoring.

Off-Topic
T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Quote:

Have you asked them this question? If sound travels through the house as well as you suspect, then they just MIGHT prefer to only a loud sax, instead of a loud sax AND the backing tracks.

Well I guess thats true.

Quote:

As for grilles - the monitors belong on stands, at ear-level. If you aren't going to bother getting the monitors at proper listening level, quite honestly, you are wasting your money even bothering with monitors. The models you have listed are all near field monitors - intended to be used at ear-level. Putting them up at ear level should put them out of harms way. That's one of the reasons you don't see grilles on many systems intended for monitoring.

As far as near field goes - I'll be within a couple of metres or so, and could mount them higher for better sound and protection.

I guess part of the problem is I really would prefer an "all-in-one-box" (well two boxes obvoiusly) solution, ie active speakers of some sort.

But the options seem to be either:

1 Multimedia speakers - which are typically too feeble
2 Near field reference monitors - which are a bit over the top on sound quality, and often not enough W
3 Disco type speakers - 500W plus monsters and probably not great sound.

So I guess I'm just wondering if there's anything else, or if not which of these will be best for my mixed
uses.

Cheers Tom

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

1 Multimedia speakers - which are typically too feeble
2 Near field reference monitors - which are a bit over the top on sound quality, and often not enough W
3 Disco type speakers - 500W plus monsters and probably not great sound.

So I guess I'm just wondering if there's anything else, or if not which of these will be best for my mixed
uses.

Well, it's really all about the money. What you're asking is similar to the guy who says I want the performance of a Porsche but I can only afford a Civic so please, please people tell me what can I get for the price of a Civic that drives like a Porsche? Right. There's plenty of killer high powered active monitors from JBL, Genelec, Mackie etc but they're like $1,000 or more each. JBL has a 5.1 surround sound studio mixing system for only $3,500. That's why by far the best bang for the buck is to pick up an old but still decent stereo amp/receiver for $100 and a set of decent home stereo speakers with 8-10" woofers for another couple hundred. A used 300 watt Sony home theater system that sold for $500 new would work fine too. You don't have to plug in the sats. Something like that will rock the house and sound great for maybe $300 total for good name brand pieces. The thing about home speakers is they can put out plenty of sound using prerecorded material such as CD's or Biab tracks but if you try to plug in a guitar/keyboard or mic through a mixer and play live through them you'll blow out the tweeters in a heartbeat.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Quote:

Well, it's really all about the money. What you're asking is similar to the guy who says I want the performance of a Porsche but I can only afford a Civic so please, please people tell me what can I get for the price of a Civic that drives like a Porsche? Right.

Bob

Well you cant blame a guy for trying!

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
You might take a look at some of the powered systems that are designed to support video viewing, some of those make awesome music systems as well. The Logitech powered speakers that feature more than 200W of power come to mind, there are others and you can go upwards to around the 500W or more level without a large expenditure these days with careful shopping. Also, the speaker boxes are rather small, don't let that fool you, the 5.1 systems, when playing back stereo audio, using the included subwoofer, can output some pretty stiff sound pressure levels. The subwoofer assures that the bass is right, tight and powerful.

--Mac

Mac #112627 04/27/11 04:13 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/54...eluxe_130W.html

Surprisingly powerful. I've never had them past half volume in a normal size room.
In a small banquet hall we probably used them at about 60% or so. Also very clear; detail is amazing when used at conversation levels as nearfields. If you have a store near by to audition these it would be worth checking out.

As Mac said the 2.1 and 5.1 systems are very well balanced these days.
Blue Sky and M-Audio come to mind for these. If he says the Logitech are good; I believe him.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
A cheap place to buy Logitech PC satelite/subwoofer systems is Surplus Computers. http://www.surpluscomputers.com/350687/logitech-z523-speaker-system-subwoofer.html

Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
I was inspired by this thread and finally decided to upgrade from my 30 year old Hifi amplifier and speakers. I haven't been using the amp and speakers very often because they don't do justice to RTs and the great piano sounds in my Yamaha stage piano. I have been monitoring mainly through some good Grado phones. I now have a pair of KRK Rokit6's and wow what a difference! I hadn't realized just how much my old setup was coloring the sound. My wife is going to have to get used to hearing me practising without the headphones from now on.

Tony

Off-Topic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
This might be another option for you. I played a keyboard through one of these at GC the other day and the sound was awsome. Can also serve as a small powered sound system. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-CM-30-Cube-Monitor-104017108-i1167688.gc

Terry

TerryB

Windows 10, Dell 8700 XPS i7, 12MB Ram.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Musician's Friend claims they are blowing out lots of different monitors: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/nav...S1&ZYXSEM=0

Off-Topic
T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Thanks for all the useful comment - sorry bit slow to respond.

5.1 probably a bit complex for my needs, but I wondered about a 2.1 system.

Somehow cant help but want my woofers separate - surely these are dealing with some of the mid-range that really wants to be split?

That said, I listened to my son's HK soundsticks - and the sound quality is really very good. Only 20W RMS for bass and 20 for treble, so not really enough - but gives the idea of what a 2.1 can do.

Thanks for the links - in fact I'm UK based so need to source here - but gave me some leads.

I'm looking at some M-Audio BX5a's which should do it. Will let you knw how I get on.

cheers Tommo

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Somehow cant help but want my woofers separate - surely these are dealing with some of the mid-range that really wants to be split?

No.

Subwoofer deals with only the bass region.

Takes advantage of the fact that the human ear cannot detect directionality below a certain frequency.

Usually works a bit better actually, as the subwoofer is designed to handle the larger excursions required for the bass notes plus does not have to be trying to produce higher freqs such as the mids and also typically the subwoofer will have its own power amp. Many use dual voice coil technology such that the lows from both channels appear at the subwoofer cone.

--Mac

Mac #112634 05/03/11 07:29 AM
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Quote:

Quote:

No.

Subwoofer deals with only the bass region.

Takes advantage of the fact that the human ear cannot detect directionality below a certain frequency.

Usually works a bit better actually, as the subwoofer is designed to handle the larger excursions required for the bass notes plus does not have to be trying to produce higher freqs such as the mids and also typically the subwoofer will have its own power amp. Many use dual voice coil technology such that the lows from both channels appear at the subwoofer cone.

--Mac

There's a reason why subwoofers work, and why humans can only detect directionality below a certain frequency and it's due to the simple physics of the wavelength of these frequencies.

One of the biggest directional cues our hearing system has is what's called the inter-aural time or phase difference. If you look at the wavelength of a 200 Hz wave, it's quite long, 67.8 inches at sea level, to be exact. That's 67.8 inches for the whole sine-wave. The distance between your ear-drums is only about 6 inches. So at any one time for a 200 Hz wave, your ears are experiencing the difference in time of only about 1/10 of the entire wavelength; undetectable. This percentage in time or phase difference gets smaller as the frequency gets lower. For a 100 Hz wave, it's 1/20th of the length along the 136 inch wave. For a 50 Hz wave, the phase difference is only about 2% of the entire length of the wave.

These very long wavelengths are also the reason that you should test the low frequency response of your speakers in the room. With almost any home setup, you will set up standing waves in the room, which will unnaturally color your overall low frequency listening experience.

I still believe that your best solution for practicing sax with your backing tracks is with headphones. Trying to use nearfield monitors as a small PA system; which is what you are trying to do; is not the intended purpose for nearfield monitoring systems.

Most of those nearfield monitors will not have the proper dispersion for the midrange and tweeters to give you an optimum listening position for sax practicing (assuming you stand) as well as sitting (assuming this is what you do while mixing). If the speakers are actually designed well as nearfields, you'll notice a rather large difference in mid/high frequency response depending on your ear height relative to the tweeter height.

See if you can get a store to let you take a set of these home and try this out yourself. Set the monitors so that the tweeters are at ear height for sitting. Then alternatively stand up and sit down while a track is playing. You'll see what I mean.

Off-Topic
LT Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
This is a great thread. Very helpful for me also.

I am a sax player also (although I'm playing more alto than tenor at the moment) and have similar needs to yours. I had/have been thinking about monitors, but given the limited amount of mixing that I would do (really just related to recording myself) compared to the amount of time I use the speakers for playing backing tracks for practicing and for listening to music for pleasure and/or transcribing, I decided that I will probably just get a decent set of headphones (for tracking when recording and for mixing, since I am trying to get decent but not pro mixes) and continue to use my current speakers. So, what are the speakers?

I have a set of these for the computer

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Klipsch+-+Pr...&st=Klipsch Computer Speakers&cp=1&lp=1

They aren't audiophile quality, but they get plenty loud, are small and sound pretty darn good for a set of computer speakers.

I also have a stereo in the room where I practice with an old receiver, a pair of ADS floor standing speakers and a CD player/changer. It also works great for these purposes, but to be honest, I usually just use the computer and attached speakers. I may move the stereo out of the room to give myself more space.

Good luck on the hunt. I'm interested to hear what you decide.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,499
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195