You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#115996 - 06/03/11 08:02 PM [User Showcase] Lang Synes I've Known - new song
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ian Fraser Offline
Expert

Sorry - couldn't wait another six months to release this.

Definitely an a-seasonal tune but set your imagination free – it’s New Year’s eve.

The following new song was sketched in BIAB and mixed in RealBand with RTs Fiddle RT624 and Pedal Steel RT639. The flute voice is an XG voice, as is the Bass Fretless. Unfortunately I’ve forgotten the original BIAB style name.

The song was written one quiet New Year’s Eve 3 years ago, with a single malt in hand, while waiting for my potato to bake . . . my dining-room is my studio, and right next to the kitchen . . .handy. The chords were set before dinner, and the lyrics before midnight. The song originally had drums, piano, strumming guitar RT from the BIAB style.

Thanks to help and the good ears of three friends - Mario, Greg and Laurie.

For those of you who choose to listen today, any suggestions are welcomed.

>>> Lang Synes I've Known

Initial volume may be low.

Lang Synes I've Known
© 2009 Words and Music - Ian Fraser

I may as well be on a bus
As sitting here with nowhere to rush,
On a New Year's night not a soul in sight
Memories in flight into the night.

The years go fast, youth on the wane
Lovers move on, family the same
Always tomorrow when you're young
Looking back now so quickly done.

Auld Lang Synes I've known a few
Can't remember one, can't remember two
Auld Lang Synes I've sung before
Wouldn't you think I'd remember more.

Kids grow up and do their thing
Build their lives, visit again
Aren't you grateful when they call
Hop a jet, come home at all.

Auld Lang Synes I've known a few
Can't remember one, can't remember two
Auld Lang Synes I've sung before
Wouldn't you think I'd remember more.
Auld Lang Synes I've known a few.

Thanks for visiting - Ian

#115997 - 06/04/11 11:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lang Synes I've Known - new song [Re: Ian Fraser]
Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Ian,

This is a very engaging tune. The chorus really sticks with you. Good job! Happy New Year!

Steve

#115998 - 06/04/11 11:12 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lang Synes I've Known - new song [Re: Steve Young]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Like the intimate coffeehouse feel Ian. I'm with Steve. Very engaging chorus and thoughtful song.

#115999 - 06/06/11 09:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lang Synes I've Known - new song [Re: Sundance]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Loved it - but you already knew that!

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#116000 - 06/06/11 12:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lang Synes I've Known - new song [Re: Steve Young]
Ian Fraser Offline
Expert

Hi Steve - I'm a little slow getting around to replies.
But thanks for your response to the song. I knew it wasn't going to be everybody's
cup of eggnog.

I consider your observation very much an honour given your writing strengths.

Cheers - Ian

#116001 - 06/06/11 12:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lang Synes I've Known - new song [Re: Sundance]
Ian Fraser Offline
Expert

Hi Josie

Thanks for visiting.
Although it didn't start out to be a "minimalist" production, the coffeehouse feel
seemed to be the most comfortable production for the song.
Thanks for your kind observation.

Ian

#116002 - 06/06/11 12:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lang Synes I've Known - new song [Re: MarioD]
Ian Fraser Offline
Expert

This is true, Mario.

I owe you thanks for suggesting I turf those drums and the extra instrumentation.
A much better result.

Go Sens Go - Ian

#116003 - 06/06/11 07:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lang Synes I've Known - new song [Re: Ian Fraser]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Ian,

I really enjoyed this - great song and vocal.

Bob

#116004 - 06/07/11 05:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lang Synes I've Known - new song [Re: rsdean]
jim111 Offline
Journeyman

Fantastic Ian. I really enjoy when the bass kicks in. I'm playing it on a couple of Event TR8 monitors and a KRK sub and it sounds great to me. Happy new year. lol.

#116005 - 06/07/11 05:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lang Synes I've Known - new song [Re: rsdean]
Ian Fraser Offline
Expert

Thank you Bob - nice to have your comments.

Ian

#116006 - 06/07/11 05:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lang Synes I've Known - new song [Re: jim111]
Ian Fraser Offline
Expert

Hello Jim - it's been awhile since I've seen your name here. Welcome.

I really hope that the bass didn't "attack" you. I too enjoy that part. In fact there was some discussion with Mario whether it should be the smooth fretless or the acoustic upright - there is not much difference but I like the fullness and presence of the fretless.

Thanks for giving a listen. HNY to you too

#116007 - 06/10/11 06:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lang Synes I've Known - new song [Re: Ian Fraser]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Ian,

I've listened to this a few times now. I like it There's always something fresh and different about your songs that makes them very appealing to me. Terrific work.

All the best,
Noel

#116008 - 06/11/11 06:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lang Synes I've Known - new song [Re: Ian Fraser]
Loc: Scotland
George Nelson Offline
Expert

Loc: Scotland
Hi Ian,

Lovely soulful rendition.

You are not alone, I can't remember some Auld Lang Synes as well, but then I'm Scottish .

Hope you have lots of family and friends over this new year.

Best regards
George

#116009 - 06/11/11 12:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lang Synes I've Known - new song [Re: Noel96]
Ian Fraser Offline
Expert

Hello Noel

Thank you for your kind words - I'm honoured that you find that in my music. It's very encouraging.

I'm currently waiting for your next foray into the User's Forum.

Cheers - Ian

#116010 - 06/11/11 12:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lang Synes I've Known - new song [Re: George Nelson]
Ian Fraser Offline
Expert

Thanks George - You know once the kids spread out it's hard to get 'em back.
Some might say that's a blessing.

My ex's reaction when she heard this song was "you'd better remember some of them!"

Glad you listened.

Ian

#116011 - 06/15/11 06:00 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lang Synes I've Known - new song [Re: Ian Fraser]
Loc: France, but I'm an ex-pat Brit
mglinert Offline
Expert

Loc: France, but I'm an ex-pat Brit

a very touching and coherent piece this, with the lyric very well matched to the musical choices and simple melody and structure.

I would say this was a New Year’s Eve well spent Ian!

Happy 2012!

Marc

#116012 - 06/17/11 12:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lang Synes I've Known - new song [Re: mglinert]
Ian Fraser Offline
Expert

Hi Marc

The kind words are much appreciated, all the more so given the subject matter and time of year.
But I agree - seems a new years well spent. You have a most interesting way of assessing compositions - I've never looked at songs in quite that way.
Thanks

Ian

#116013 - 06/17/11 02:37 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lang Synes I've Known - new song [Re: Ian Fraser]
Tommyc Offline
Veteran

I always feel lucky to remember yesterday ,much less Auld Lang Synes (my spell-check says I can't remember to spell it either) ! I may have to try a drum-less song ,good job Ian ! Thank You for sharing !

#116014 - 06/19/11 09:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: Lang Synes I've Known - new song [Re: Tommyc]
Ian Fraser Offline
Expert

Hi Tommy

Well I am an old folkie and seldom used drums over the years of performing - but I had some in the song originally. With all the goodies offered by PG, it's difficult not to use them all. But a PG Forum member MarioD suggested they took away from the overall feel of the song. . . and he was right.

Thanks for the feedback

#116015 - 06/22/11 06:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: Lang Synes I've Known - new song [Re: Ian Fraser]
Loc: TEXAS, USA
Powderman Offline
Apprentice

Loc: TEXAS, USA
Ian,

Nicely done. I kept trying to listen from Firefox - it always seemed to lock up. Tried IE today - glad I did. It was a very nice listen - enoyed the mellow-ness of it.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=933265

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
With Band-in-a-Box®, Making Music Has Never Been Easier!

We came across this recent post, Music Making Software: Record, Edit, Create and Share Your Own Songs, which includes Band-in-a-Box® in their list of software you'll need to record and edit your own songs!

One of our favourite products, and one that doesn’t seem to come up much in discussions about music making software, is Band-In-A-Box from PG Music. This is probably the longest established and certainly one of the most popular music making software packages of all time. Already packed with features, the latest version has added functions that in our opinion make this an essential buy for musicians in any genre, for keyboard players, guitarists, singers, in fact any musician looking for an outstanding tool to make the most of their creative ideas.
-www.musicrepo.com

The Download Manager - Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

The "Download Manager" within Band-in-a-Box® for Windows is a great tool to confirm or help with the installation of your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows program!

What does the Download Manager do?
Automatically installs Band-in-a-Box® content (RealTracks, RealDrums, etc.) in the background, so you don't have to sit there the whole time! It can also confirm that you've completely installed your purchase.

How do you use it?
Within the program, go to Help | Utilities | Run Download/Install Manager now. Using your activation code, the program will analyze the installation folders, and list anything that still needs to be downloaded and installed.

Learn more about the Download Manager with this tutorial, or check out the topic within the Online Manual.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows Online Manual - Chord List & Shortcuts

Visit the Chord List of our Online Manual, and you'll see all the chords that can be used within the program! The list includes a few Tricky Chords and Shortcut Chords that you may find useful too!

Tricky Chords:
C5b This is "C flat 5." It is spelled this way to avoid confusion.
C2, C5, C4, C69, C7alt, Cm7#5
You can type C-7 for Cm7 (i.e. use the minus sign) or C7-9 for C7b9.

Shortcut Chords
If you enter a lot of songs, you will appreciate these shortcut keys.
J = Maj7
H = m7b5 (H stands for Half diminished)
D = dim
S = 7sus

There's even information on how to add your own chord shortcuts - check it out!

Video Request Answered - Creating Intros, Bridges, and Endings in Band-in-a-Box®

Check out the newest support video created by Kent that explains how to create intros, bridges, and endings in Band-in-a-Box®! Click here to view...

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker Feature

If you have a folder of songs that you'd always like easy access to within Band-in-a-Box, make sure you familiarize yourself with The SongPicker feature, which access the folder that you choose and lock it to!

Access the SongPicker by clicking on the [Song] button next to the title of the song within the main screen of Band-in-a-Box. The first time the SongPicker is opened, you can choose the folder to use to create the list by selecting [Change] and navigating to your preferred directory. Once chosen, select [OK - Make Song List], and Band-in-a-Box does the rest... the next time you click on [Song], you'll be taken directly to your preferred folder!

Learn even more about this feature within Chapter 5 of our Online Manual, here.

Just Launched - The FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum!

If you have a question (or questions!) about Band-in-a-Box®, PowerTracks, RealBand®, or any other PG Music Inc. product - whether it be technical support or pre-sales, there's now an easy one-stop spot to find the answer - our FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum!

Don't want to read through the 600+ posts? Use the Search FAQ option, and you can choose your key search terms to locate the topic and answer you're looking for!

Common pre-sales questions about our products, ordering, and delivery:
Pre-Sales

Technical support & troubleshooting by product:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Band-in-a-Box® for Mac
RealBand® for Windows
PowerTracks Pro® Audio for Windows
Other Products

There's even a Request New FAQs forum, if you didn't see your question answered anywhere!

Over 190 Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Today's the day we say "Happy Birthday" to Adolphe Sax, the creator of the Saxophone!
(Adolphe was born November 6, 1814 - 32 years later he patended his saxophone creation!)

We have more than 190 Saxophone RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box with the following RealTracks Sets - review the complete list here.

Check our our Saxophonist programs for Windows:
The Jazz Saxophonist
The Rock Saxophonist

Forum Stats
28212 Members
59 Forums
54895 Topics
455269 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
RU3, devotrain990, layton, TomTowle, Dische

28211 Registered Users