Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Here is another song from an old tape I found. BIAB with a Sound Canvas Module.
Vocals and Acoustic Guitar are myself. It was originally recorded on a a Tascam 4 track Portastudio.
Cassette was then transferred from a boombox into PT12 on PC.

If you have the time give it a listen. Thank you. I hope you enjoy it.
Wayne,

Night After Night

What will it take to get you out of my head
Night after night you keep sharing my bed
How do you expect me to go on with my life
When you keep coming back to me night after night

You're taking me back, to a dangerous place
Where we can't exist and I can never escape
Don't make me want you, any more than I do
You're drivin me crazy, did I do this to you

I don't need your help remembering yesterday
Night after night, day after day

Feeling your body and hearing you speak
Telling me things that come only in my dreams
I'm just one big heartache and nothing feels right
While you keep on taking me, deeper in the night

Laughing and crying, is the same to me now
I want to be, the way I was, but I don't know how
You're taking advantage, of my state of mind
When you keep coming back to me time after time

I don't need your help remembering yesterday
Night after night, will you ever go away

Wayne Whiteside, Copyright November 20, 1992

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Loved it!

Great song, super lyrics and an outstanding vocal and guitar parts. Great picking!

I would have never guessed this came from tape! Great job on that.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks Mario, I'm really glad you liked it.

I remember writing it. I was was in a pretty dark place.
It's strange hearing songs from so long ago.
It's a painful reminder of long ago. I'm not been a big fan of the past.
Wayne,

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wayne,

Wow, you really got some great sound out of that Portastudio. I love this song. Flat out love it - everything about it. The lyrics are simple but incredibly well written which is much tougher for most writers than it appears - and the whole vibe - guitar - vocal is spot on.

It's beautiful. What else can I say.

You obviously have a fan here.

User Showcase
occ Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
Fantastic sound!! Did you play all the midi parts? Your vocals are becoming my favorite. This song was so refreshing to me. occ

User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Josie, Josie, Josie, (like Cary Grant)

Thank you again. I really value your compliments. They are encouraging, which is something I treasure.

As far as the Portastudio, it wasn't a big deal. I've been recording since the late 1960s on reel to reel. I discovered early on that having the cleanest clearest tracks was all that mattered. Everyone I knew who were making demos. They were bouncing tracks and overdubbing till it was just a muddy mess.

I record like a performance. Since my bands were always trios, guitar, bass and drums, why did I need more? I just make sure the vocals are understood. Everyone I ever admired just played a piano or an acoustic guitar and sang.
On a lot of my songs, I recorded the vocal and acoutic guitar with one mic. I still do.

As far as writing lyrics, I’m clueless. Some songs take 20 minutes, some 20 years.
Everything I write has too many words when I start. I usually cut about half of them out. I use as few words as possible. I like to write as if I’m talking to someone.

Sincerely, Wayne, (How about this? You can be in my fan club if I can be in yours)

User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi OCC,
Thank you so much for taking the time to listen and comment.
I didn't play any of the MIDI parts. They were all BIAB. I have no idea what style it was. I used a Roland Sound Canvas Module, SC-55. I know I used the TR-808 drum kit in the Sound Canvas. I used that patch a lot. I still do. I like that vintage synth sound that patch has. My favorite drum sounds were the fist Alesis Drum machine. The Gray Alesis HR-16. I loved it.

I didn't do any MIDI editing or playing on this one.
Thanks again. Your feedback means a lot to me.
Wayne,

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wayne,

This sounds like it was recorded yesterday! Outstanding song, production and vocal. You have a very cool Dan Fogelberg vibe to your voice and delivery - really great all around...

Bob

User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thank you Bob,

"Outstanding song, production and vocal" High praise, thank you.
I don't sound all that much different now. Just older and a bit rougher around the edges.
My wife says, more character.......lol

I never heard of Dan Fogelberg but I'm going to look for him on youtube.
I checked wiki and he was my age. He was very popular in the late 1970s.
Gold and Platinum records. I want to hear him now.

Thank you, Wayne,

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Wayne,

Another great job! If your wife is right, I would really like to hear your voice now! It was outstanding in the 90's! Thanks for posting this.

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks Steve,
I'm glad you took the time to listen and then write. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm curious what it will feel like recording new songs. I used to live music. Now it's a concept or idea I can't relate to anymore.

I'm trying to get up to speed.
I haven't written anything new in over 10 years. I have a lot of songs I never recorded. So I'm looking forward to recording them.
I have older ones that I want to record over; because they were recorded playing piano and now I play them all on guitar. (In a lower key)

I know this sounds stupid, but a big hurdle for me is restringing my acoustic. A lot of everyday things are projects for me. After that I can practice for a couple of weeks and hopefully my fingers can take it. Then I just grab my mic and hit record. I should get a portable digital recorder that really sounds good. I always recorded everything I did with a portable cassette recorder years ago.

If anyone has any advice about one, that isn't too expensive and really does a good job for singing with an acoustic guitar, I'd appreciate some advice. I bought a Boss MicroBR 4 track a couple of years ago. It was a big mistake. Too complicated for me and it doesn't sound that good at all with the built in mic. It’s a good unit, but not for me. It’s more for rock guitar players I think.

Thanks again, I am going to try harder.
Wayne, (Sorry this got so long,)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
There is lots to like about this one. i agree that it sounds a lot like Dan F. i love the vibrato in the vocal that blends with the chorus effect of the midi. The bass is very cool, kind of a start stop sort of reggae feel. The guitar work is outstanding. You captured the vibe on the main lead break. Easy listening at its best. Why don't you use your computer and forget about the stand alones for recording. i use the samson g-track mic and guitar interface combined. Usb simple solution to inputs. Simple works for this old man and the recording software is much easier to use now than in the past. Thanks for posting this beautiful piece. Tom

User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi Tommy,
Thanks for listening. I’m glad you enjoyed it. I appreciate it. You’re comments mean a lot. The chorus effect was on the Fender Rhodes patch.

This was done on a Portastudio because it was 19 years ago. All my old equipment was lost in a flood 5 years ago.

I haven’t played for 10 years. I was disabled in an auto accident. I lost the use of my left hand for about 9 years. I started to regain the use of my arm and hand over a year ago. I’m still working on playing again. I have good days then some not so good ones. But I haven’t given up.

I do use my PC. I have BIAB and PowerTracks 12, for Windows. I have one decent mic and a small Alesis Mixer. It all works and sounds great. It's more than I need so I'm thrilled with it. Back when I recorded these songs, I used an Atari ST with BIAB and my Portastudio. They didn't have digital recording on computers yet in 1992. I love how easy it is now.

I record my electric guitar, a Telecaster, direct from a Marshall practice amp. It's a tiny 10 watt with a 6" speaker. You can hear it on "Craylike Jam". I used BIAB with the VSC-dxi and PowerTracks and just plugged my guitar in direct. The Blues songs at the bottom were also recorded direct using an old Marshall knockoff. All the electric guitars are my Telecaster. These are the links:

"Craylike Jam" This was done using my PC.
"Worried Bout My Heart" Mellow Blues song.

Thanks again for the kind words. I appreciate it.
Wayne,

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Wayne,
Sorry it's taken so long to comment. I just wanted to let you know I really enjoyed "Night After Night." Well done in all aspects from composition, performance, through finishing.
I'm touched by your story and impressed with your fortitude in fighting back from your injuries. A real lesson there!
Best Wishes
Mike

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Wayne,

A very good song with a very good singer..you can't beat 'em
And this is one very good song and a very good singer.

Well done Wayne.

If I may be so bold as to comment on music....

Like you I am now disabled (just old age and misspent youth ) but I would encourage you to continue (as best you can) in your musical journey.

I don't live for music but.. music lives in me, and I love being able to express an idea (however fragile) with the help of Band In a Box.
Music is fun...now where did I hear that again...oh yes, Peter Gannon tells us to have fun and if my memory serves so does Mac .
So Wayne enjoy it as it is a gift.

Best regards
George

Windows 11 64 bit, Biab 2023 1006, Realband 2023 (1)
i7 Desktop Computer 16Gb Memory

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Wayne,

Josie summed it up perfectly when she said,
Quote:

Wow, you really got some great sound out of that Portastudio. I love this song. Flat out love it - everything about it. The lyrics are simple but incredibly well written which is much tougher for most writers than it appears - and the whole vibe - guitar - vocal is spot on.

I TOTALLY agree. There is absolutely nothing that it is out of place in this song. It's beautiful. To my mind, this work is a superb testament to the musicality of an outstanding musician on all levels.

Definitely a song to be proud of!
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,500
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195