#117065 06/12/11 05:52 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
D
Donsta Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
I tried to do a search but couldn't wade through all the posts to find the right info. I'm looking for a set of usb foot pedals that I can substitute for key presses while I play. Any suggestions?

Thanks ahead of time

Donsta

The harder I work the luckier I get.
Donsta #117066 06/12/11 06:58 PM
D
Apprentice
Apprentice
D

H
Apprentice
Apprentice
H
I've used one from this company for a while and it works fine:
http://www.delcomproducts.com/products_usbfsw.asp

D
Donsta Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
Thanks guys. Do either of you use Windows 7? I bought a cheap set of pedals that apparently don't work well with 7 and I'd prefer not to repeat that mistake.

Thanks again

Donsta

Donsta #117069 06/15/11 08:21 AM
H
Apprentice
Apprentice
H
I use mine with XP. I suggest a call/email to the mfgr re Win7.

Donsta #117070 06/15/11 08:38 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Thanks guys. Do either of you use Windows 7? I bought a cheap set of pedals that apparently don't work well with 7 and I'd prefer not to repeat that mistake.

Thanks again

Donsta

What pedals did you buy? Are there drivers for them? If so are the drivers win7 or win7 compatible?

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
MarioD #117071 06/15/11 08:52 AM
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
And is your Win7 32 or is it 64 bit?

Donsta #117072 06/23/11 07:27 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I'm looking for a set of usb foot pedals that I can substitute for key presses while I play. Any suggestions?

I am actually researching this as well because as I get old and can't remember lyrics, particularly when they are my own tunes and thus I have not been hearing them for 25 years, I need a teleprompter. I have the software but the space bar toggles the scroll/no scroll and the +/- adjusts the speed. Obviously I can't be reaching out to a laptop during a song. My plan is to have a monitor on stage in front of me with some kind of keyboard on the floor, both running to a laptop off stage where my off stage guy can load the right text file in for the upcoming song.

I may TRY to jury rig something where I build a "layer" that fits over a standard keyboard with "plungers" connected to three oversized keys and then to the 3 keys on the keyboard and then run LONG cables to the offstage computer.

We'll see.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Donsta #117073 06/23/11 08:30 AM
Expert
Expert
Quote:

I'm looking for a set of usb foot pedals that I can substitute for key presses while I play. Any suguggestions?

This question gets asked at least a couple of times a year. Click here for a place that sells a bunch of different pedals that do what you want. I personally have been using the Triple Action Footswitch on stage for several years. It is a bit pricey, but it is well built and has worked through 3 different operating systems (Window XP, Vista 64 bit, and Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit). Mine has taken a beating and keeps on ticking. I've primarly used it with Sonar to do live playlists but it will work with any program that is looking for keypresses to execute commands.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Quote:

I'm looking for a set of usb foot pedals that I can substitute for key presses while I play. Any suggestions?

I am actually researching this as well because as I get old and can't remember lyrics, particularly when they are my own tunes and thus I have not been hearing them for 25 years, I need a teleprompter. I have the software but the space bar toggles the scroll/no scroll and the +/- adjusts the speed. Obviously I can't be reaching out to a laptop during a song. My plan is to have a monitor on stage in front of me with some kind of keyboard on the floor, both running to a laptop off stage where my off stage guy can load the right text file in for the upcoming song.

I may TRY to jury rig something where I build a "layer" that fits over a standard keyboard with "plungers" connected to three oversized keys and then to the 3 keys on the keyboard and then run LONG cables to the offstage computer.

We'll see.

One of the BiaB Old-Timers, Luiz Dias from Brasil, did exactly that using a second keyboard. In his case, he used a desktop and simply wired both keyboards in parallel at the standard din keyboard input. He also paralleled pushbutton footswitches to the keys he needed to operate by foot, hiding the second keyboard inside a metal chassis that sat on the floor.

I see no reason why that couldn't be done with a second USB keboard and a laptop, provided that both the USB keyboard AND the laptop keyboard could be made active at the same time.

If yoo do decide to use mechanical "plungers" to the keys, design in some sort of mechanical limit or STOP to them such that the keybed can't be *crushed* by a footstomp that causes overtravel of the plungers. Something like a coilspring at the end of the plunger between plunger and key may do the trick.

--Mac

Donsta #117075 06/24/11 07:04 AM
Expert
Expert
Quote:

I bought a cheap set of pedals that apparently don't work well with 7 and I'd prefer not to repeat that mistake.

I would point out that even a relatively expensive set of pedals like the one's I recommended can't be programmed by a 64 bit operating system. The work well with a 64 bit system, but the actual programming has to be done under a 32 bit OS. Not sure why, but the manufacturer gives a heads up about that fact.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Mac #117076 06/24/11 11:32 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

One of the BiaB Old-Timers, Luiz Dias from Brasil, did exactly that using a second keyboard. In his case, he used a desktop and simply wired both keyboards in parallel at the standard din keyboard input. He also paralleled pushbutton footswitches to the keys he needed to operate by foot, hiding the second keyboard inside a metal chassis that sat on the floor.

That is EXACTLY the model I have in my head, Mac. This is for a very specific show when (if?) I do a CD release event in fall, and the songs will be played in CD order, so I have taken all the lyrics and created one BIG text file with the lyrics to all 11 songs with a break between them. With that in place I just need to set up one monitor and the floor controller, start the teleprompter software and turn it on and off as needed.

The trifecta of an aging musician... HUGE fonts along with the glasses, a telepromter to remember lyrics, young people to carry equipment....

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Donsta #117077 06/24/11 01:24 PM
Apprentice
Apprentice
http://www.xtempozone.com/

The Pok USB Wireless Foot pedal should do what you want for about $350.00.

B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
I've done the same as this & its perfec. Not the most sturdy but very easy to use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxaClh7FACw&feature=player_embedded

Donsta #117079 07/04/11 07:54 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Trying to wrap my thoughts around why ANY generic USB device would not work with anything USB ready if you have any OS newer than Windows 98SE when USB started. It's just a human interface device and run off a generic driver. I mean there are not "USB Keyboard for Win7 Only" keyboards out there. In a pinch I needed to plug in SOME USB keyboard into my computer while I set up the Bluetooth and the one I plugged in I had to wipe cobwebs from to use it, like literally over 10 years old, and Win7 detected and was ready in under 5 seconds. Win7 doesn't even know it's a keyboard. In the hardware list it says HID, and it can't tell mouse from keyboard, just a Human Interface Device.

So I am just confused why the pedals, which Win7 should see as a HID, would have an issue. Can you expand on what kind of issues you found?

For me I just needed a foot control to press the space bar as a way to start and stop a teleprompter program for scrolling lyrics, so my situation is different. All I did was took a 1 inch strip of wood, drilled 2 holes into the space bar, and two into the wood that line up with the ones in the space bar, and used screws to attach the wood to the space bar. Now that wood stands up one inch and I can tap it with my foot any time I need to pause the scrolling.

The sad part of the story is that I even needed to do this to remember lyrics I WROTE, but that is another post about aging....

Expert
Expert
I think that the only issues with the pedals are not driver related but programming related. The manufacturer of the pedal that I recommended warns on their website that that the pedal works perfectly fine with Windows 7 64 bit, but that it has to be programmed first on a 32 bit system.

Keith
KeithS #117081 07/05/11 06:15 AM
D
Donsta Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
I do have a 64 bit system. I've been trying to use the 3 pedals so that left pedal is left click, middle is space and right is right click. For some reason it keeps on going back to all 3 pedals being left click.

Sorry but I can't remember the make. They instructions don't list one and the pedals have no markings.

On the bright side it's really convenient when I want to left click.

Donsta #117082 07/05/11 06:19 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

On the bright side it's really convenient when I want to left click.

That would make you the NASCAR driver of computing. They only turn left, you only click left....

Veteran
Veteran
The thing I liked the best about Cleveland were the horror movies and Goulardi blowing up model cars. I think that was a while back. I remember not wanting to live in Parma with a pink flamingo. Man those were some bad movies too. White socks and Polkas. Maybe only Eastside Eddy will remember that stuff, I got it because we are essentially just across the lake.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

The thing I liked the best about Cleveland were the horror movies and Goulardi blowing up model cars. I think that was a while back. I remember not wanting to live in Parma with a pink flamingo. Man those were some bad movies too. White socks and Polkas. Maybe only Eastside Eddy will remember that stuff, I got it because we are essentially just across the lake.

Yeah, that was fun when we were kids. Ghoulardi with those awful movies on Friday nights, where sometimes he would superimpose himself into the movie.... He was a very gracious, accommodating guy who did a lot in the community. Eventually he moved to California where he made a small fortune as a voice over artist for commercials and the "house voice" for ABC. He died in 1997 at 74.

As the crow flies you are just 60 miles away from Cleveland. As the car drives, a lot farther.... :-)

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,456
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195