#120100 07/07/11 05:13 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
V
vishnu Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
V
lets imagine i had a PC meltdown (it's happened before.you too.huh?) and lost EVERYTHING.....

last month i bought the BIAB 2011 discs from a store in England.lets just say for a moment that i have, sometime in the future, upgraded to BIAB 2012 and then the meltdown hits....what happens now?

i reinstall my discs?
but those are the BIAB 2011 pre upgrades......

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Vishnu,

I keep back-ups of all my installation files for exactly that reason. My motto is, "Never trust a computer".

When you upgrade, if you choose the "download" option, you receive a number of files which can very easily be burnt to DVD. My experience is that downloads are ONLY the files needed for the upgrade. In this scenario, you'd need to reinstall the original disks and then run the upgrade files.

Alternative, you could simply save a back-up copy of your entire BB directory. (I bought a USB hard drive expressly for that purpose.) Then, if you need to reinstall, you simply copy over the entire BB directory and then run the latest version of the BIAB/RB installation file (usually around 250 MB).

Every once in a while, I buy the USB hard drive version of BIAB because that gives me the entire, up-to-date program and makes it easier to keep track of everything because the USB purchase installs directly from that drive.

Hope these thoughts give you ideas.
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Backup, backup, backup! And not just your user created data, but your program installation files and disks.

I have found there are very few programs that have to be installed from hard media (CD or DVD); so I have copied all my applications, updates, upgrades, add-ons, etc, to an external USB hard drive, categorized by type of application, with each application in its own folder. I include any license codes in the folder name, so it's easy to copy/paste when asked for them. I create text files with notes about the application, and I have an index spreadsheet that lists everything, including web links to the application. For applications that want to be installed from media, I just create an ISO image and then use a virtual CD utility to mount the image as if I had the original disk.

I synchronize this USB disk drive to another every so often to keep things up to date and to have a complete backup. So far it's worked very well for me, and it makes re-installs go much quicker.

But it takes time and diligence to do that; once done, however, maintenance is pretty simple.

And of course, I backup my own data to a different external hard drive. In general, if I crash, I might lose at most a little bit of recent email.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
If you did not have backups, PG Music could probably help you out. If you purchased directly from them, they keep good records of what you bought, and could supply replacements. I recall a few times when this has been done for the cost of the media and shipping (although there are no promises that would still be the case).

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Any time I add something major, and by "major" I mean software that cost me a lot of money, I do an image of the hard drive on to another hard drive.

And this is where I get on my "experience" soapbox and say NEVER NEVER NEVER buy through download only. ALWAYS get media. I bought a piece of hardware from a company called Dacal like 8 years ago that stores 150 CDs with a software interface where all my CDs and DVDs are. Everything I have ever purchased is in that library, down to drivers for NIC cards. When I need something, I load "CDLIB", find it, click it, and the box spits out the CD that holds what I need.

Also, as was mentioned, backup backup backup. I wrote a small batch file I called back2thumb.bat that is little more than

copy C:\documents\*.* h:\documents /Y
copy C:\songs\*.* h:\songs /Y

and so forth, where h: is an 8 gig thumb drive. That copies everything in those directories to my backup drive and overwrites existing files automatically. If you prefer to not automatically overwrite and be prompted every time, make the switch /-Y and it will ask if you want to overwrite. I use the switch because I know I want to, but that is your call. Just make sure you label your thumb drive if you have more than one that looks the same.. LOL!!

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
V
vishnu Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
V
Quote:

Any time I add something major, and by "major" I mean software that cost me a lot of money, I do an image of the hard drive on to another hard drive.

And this is where I get on my "experience" soapbox and say ALWAYS get media. I bought a piece of hardware from a company called Dacal like 8 years ago that stores 150 CDs with a software interface where all my CDs and DVDs are. Everything I have ever purchased is in that library, down to drivers for NIC cards. When I need something, I load "CDLIB", find it, click it, and the box spits out the CD that holds what I need.

Also, as was mentioned, backup backup backup. I wrote a small batch file I called back2thumb.bat that is little more than

copy C:\documents\*.* h:\documents /Y
copy C:\songs\*.* h:\songs /Y

and so forth, where h: is an 8 gig thumb drive. That copies everything in those directories to my backup drive and overwrites existing files automatically. If you prefer to not automatically overwrite and be prompted every time, make the switch /-Y and it will ask if you want to overwrite. I use the switch because I know I want to, but that is your call. Just make sure you label your thumb drive if you have more than one that looks the same.. LOL!!

am i not right in thinking that REAPER is available as download only?

V
vishnu Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
V
i would need to have someone do this for me.......is it a straightforward enough job for someone with the PC skills?

V
vishnu Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
V
Quote:

Hi Vishnu,

I keep back-ups of all my installation files for exactly that reason. My motto is, "Never trust a computer".

When you upgrade, if you choose the "download" option, you receive a number of files which can very easily be burnt to DVD. My experience is that downloads are ONLY the files needed for the upgrade. In this scenario, you'd need to reinstall the original disks and then run the upgrade files.

Alternative, you could simply save a back-up copy of your entire BB directory. (I bought a USB hard drive expressly for that purpose.) Then, if you need to reinstall, you simply copy over the entire BB directory and then run the latest version of the BIAB/RB installation file (usually around 250 MB).

Every once in a while, I buy the USB hard drive version of BIAB because that gives me the entire, up-to-date program and makes it easier to keep track of everything because the USB purchase installs directly from that drive.

Hope these thoughts give you ideas.
Noel

i would need to have someone do this for me.......is it a straightforward enough job for someone with the PC skills?

Expert
Expert
Quote:

If you did not have backups, PG Music could probably help you out.

I can testify to this, they went WAY above what was required to get me back up & running just a week or so ago...great company!

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Veteran
Veteran
jcspro40, thanks for the confirmation. It is indeed a great company!

vishnu, I realize managing computer files is not everyone's strength, but in my opinion, nothing mentioned here is at all difficult for those of us who are practiced in file management.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
vishnu,

Let me put it this way . . . my name would never be spoken about when people talk about the really PC savvy members on this forum. With that said even I was able to backup any and all files I deem worthy of saving (and BIAB tops the list) simply by purchasing an external hard drive and backing up to same. Therefore even a monkey can do it, as I peel a banana for lunch.

Later,

Veteran
Veteran
Vishnu, yes, anybody with basic PC skills can show you how to do this. Then YOU will have the skills for next time. Teach a man to fish....

Just remember that you are just copying files and don't let it overwhelm your thought process. Sure you are copying a LOT of files, but still you are just copying files.

At the very least, wherever your BIAB songs are, back that up often. For the example I typed in earlier, I created a folder on the root of the C: drive called "songs". Thus the path to those songs is C:\songs and to copy them you could copy and paste to a thumb drive. I backup more than one folder, thus the command line option of using a batch file. And that batch file actually copies 5 different folders so it is slightly bigger, but each line in the file I execute copies one folder on the computer to another location. Just think of it as taking a picture of a file drawer and saving it elsewhere.

You'll be fine.

2. Send it to us.
Veteran
Veteran
Many of the hard drives you buy as 'external' backup come with software to manage the whole thing. I'd suggest that approach if you are not savvy in such stuff.

I presently use google's gmail and the storage you get for files to store important documents AND dropbox so I can use them on all my systems.

I sort of have system overload lol.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Veteran
Veteran
I use Dropbox as well, John. Copies of my songs are there so I can listen from anywhere. I use Google Docs for sharing. I like the security of it where you have to specifically email an invitation to people.

The external drive is great if you need 2tb of storage. If you are only backing up docs and such..... just a matter of each person's application and what they want to back up. Varying degrees of familiarity will end up with varying methids.

2. Send it to us.
Veteran
Veteran
It's always good to back up your software programs. However, if you are a registered user with PG Music, they will assist you in getting back up and running. They have helped me a few times.

I would recommend buying directly from them for this very reason. No iffs ands or butts when it comes time to reinstall and you don't have the disk.;)

PG & Team have THE BEST customer support of any business I have done pleasure with. Their products are amazing, even for geetar players :P

Trax

Veteran
Veteran
I would also like to add something because the original poster appears to be a little new to computers. You need to be very aware of what the term "backup" really means. You can "back up " files, which makes a copy of the files. You can't "back up" a program by copying the folder from the hard drive to a backup device. There are supporting files in other directories that are necessary to run a program.

For example, if you install "Bob's Program" onto your hard drive, Bob's Program will install to C:\Program Files\Bob's Program, as well as create Windows registry entries that are not exactly the same on every computer. Also it will call up something known as .dll files that are located in the C:\Windows\system32 folder. (That means "dynamic link library".) If you were to copy C:\Program Files\Bob's Program to an external device, reformat your computer, copy Bob's Program to C:\Program Files\Bob's Program on the newly loaded hard drive, Bob's Program will not run because the supporting files and registry entries are not there.

DATA (files that a program reads and interprets) can be copied. PROGRAMS (the executable program that reads and interprets data) must be installed.

As an analogy, if you have a photo of you called mypicture.jpg, that is a DATA file and will not do anything by itself. A PROGRAM like Irfanview, Paint, Photoshop, Windows Image Viewer.... will INTERPRET that data and display the image. However it is important to understand that the PROGRAM is what runs and just reads and interpret data. I see a lot of customers who don't understand the difference between an executable program and a data file. Note, one is a program, the other is a file.

Hope this was not interpreted as speaking down to you, but as i said, I see a lot of people who don't understand the difference.

2. Send it to us.
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Eddie is right on, and if someone wants to "backup" the programs and files they need to explore the world of hard drive cloning.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Veteran
Veteran
And hard drive cloning should NOT scare anybody away. Just follow the directions and know the difference between "source" and "destination" and it is a stroll in the park. You can download programs for free from the web. They will create a bootable CD, then you connect that second drive, and boot from the CD. Tell it to clone (or it might use the term "mirror") the source to the destination, and it will make a byte by byte "snapshot" of your original hard drive so if there is ever catastrophic failure, you can pop your clone into your machine and run it.

2. Send it to us.
Expert
Expert
Seagate, Western Digital, and a few other HDD manufactures usually come with some kind of back-up utility, mostly based around Acronis.

I have tried a ton of software over the last few years ( Norton Ghost, etc} both free & pay-for, and none were as easy to use as Acronis. Once set up it is a 4 click process. And after you make the image & you have problems, you just place the startup CD in your drive, reboot, and re-image the drive.

After 2 years of using Acronis I have never had any problems re-imaging the drive back to a working state. I do a lot of software testing, so I have at times trashed my system beyond repair...

And the good thing about this software is that it was one of 3 that kept ALL licensing information, so I don't even have to re-install codes or go online to re-activate.

Like I mention, check your Hard Drive Manufactures web site to see if the offer a download of the software. I ended up buying Acronis when it was on sale, so it was not too much &&. Next to BiaB & Reaper I feel that this was one of the best investments I have made for my system!

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Quote:

none were as easy to use as Acronis

Don't know what I would do without my Acronis True Image. I know over time, some folks have had some problems, but I've never had a problem with it. I always backup/image using the bootable disk (even though you can do it from within Windows), and that has always worked for me. Re-installing complete configurations to new/different hard drives (to include resizing) has always worked great.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,662
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200