Go To
#121493 07/16/11 10:15 AM
RealBand
F
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
F
I'm Running RBW 2011.5 build 3. Initial Track Type is set to Midi.
Midi file in use:
Ch1 Bass 1
Ch3 Piano
Ch4 Guitar Muted
Ch6 Bass 2
Ch7 Guitar Jazz
Ch 10 Drums
Ch11 Sax Melody
Ch12 Sax Harmony
All are user tracks No BB Tracks. Sound routed through default Forte Dxi or Coyote Wt
When I play this file, No sound comes out, except the two Sax tracks Ch11 and Ch12.
Oddly, sometimes if I change the synth while the song is playing, momentarily I get sound from all the Midi tracks, but if I stop and restart the song - once again I get sound from only the two Saxaphone tracks.
I also notice that the graphic lines depicting the Midi notes on Channels 11 and 12 seem to be a bit darker than the graphic lines on the other channels.
What can I do to get all of the Midi tracks to output sound ...
Thanks, FlaMusician

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
What happens if you assign Track one to an instance of the DXi, then right click and 'Set all MIDI tracks to ..." ?

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
F
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
F
That's what I typically do.
I scroll to nearly the top of the right-click dialog box
Then I highlight the line underneath "Track Type Midi"
A box opens to the right side with about 32 Sound Output choices
I select (in this case) >>coyote WT (default)<<
Then I move down one line on the main right-click dialog box
I click on "set all Midi Tracks to >>Coyote WT (default)<<"
I operate the "Play" softkey
The song plays and sound comes out, except that only two tracks have sound - all other Midi tracks are silent.
I've checked the Midi file, and it appears to be good - I can play it with VanBascos little Midi File player, and all tracks have what sounds like very similar volume.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I'm getting the same thing you are now that I test it.
Send Support an email and I'll report it too.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I just tried this with the Forte DXi and it works as it should.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
RealBand
F
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
F
I have forte dxi 1.6 and coyote WT 1.1 and the problem appears on SOME Midi files regardless of which DXI sound module you use. The condition does not appear with every Midi file, and I don't know what the "trigger" condition is. This test Midi file plays OK on VanBasko's player, Quick Time, and PG Music's Power Tracks 2011, but it will not play all tracks (only two) on Real Band. It would appear that somewhere in the software handoff routine from Midi file to DXI sound module there is an intermittant disconnect.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I just tried this with the Forte DXi and it works as it should.

I was using Forte also, double check John

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I played about 30 midis through about 5 different DXi/VSTi synths and I had no issue. I have though set in Prefs the default track type to MIDI as before.?????????????

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I know for sure one file I had to have 'set default to MIDI' because I extracted channels to tracks .. from type 0 MIDI
related?

RealBand
J
PG Music Developer
PG Music Developer
J
Please send an example .MID file, in which the problem happens, to support@pgmusic.com referencing this thread and ask them to send me the file.

Thanks.

Jeff Yankauer
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Done
Thanx Jeff

RealBand
J
PG Music Developer
PG Music Developer
J
If I'm understanding correctly, I've been informed that the issue is with some soft synths, like Forte, which require a program change to be sent in order for the track not to be silent. The workaround would likely to be to add a program change to track(s). My understanding is that this isn't a new issue.

Last edited by Jeff Yankauer; 07/18/11 11:22 AM.

Jeff Yankauer
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks. The file I sent worked prior to 2011.5 though, maybe something changed. I used it while beta testing RB2011 to test a couple MIDI things others reported back then. That's why I pulled it out to test the OP's original issue.
But if a program change will fix it I can live with that! Thanks again.

I'll test later.
EDIT-
I see what happened; when I was testing the 'extract channels to tracks' I used the channel table because it wouldn't extract to the first 8 tracks (just testing a theory). The program assignments stuck on tracks above and did not move when the midi got rechanneled. They were assigned by the track, not by a program change (which is how I usually do it).

Thanks again, hopefully this works for original poster too.

Last edited by rharv; 07/18/11 12:09 PM.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I've worked at this and can't seem to get it to mess up. When you save the song it saves with a program change based on the instrument that is up there. The best I could do was to set the midi channel of each instrument to 0 and also set each instrument to ----. Then save the song. Open a different song and play. Then reopen the song I saved with the striped out program changes. Open the MIDI monitor to verify that there are no program changes happening. All tracks still play however they are using the instruments that were being used in the previous song. If I then close the program thus resetting the Forte so that all instruments are reset then the only thing I hear are the drums as channel 10 is locked to "standard Kit". I then change each instrument to something and the song plays.
Bottom line for me here is that EVERYTHING is acting as it should.This issue.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
D/L this file -
http://audiomastering-online.com/stuff/test.mid

Close RB. Then open it fresh and open this file.
Extract to tracks if it asks ...

Hit play and you hear every track?

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Well that file is totally crazy. Not sure if you made it that way or the extract to tracks made it that way. 4 tracks have initial program changes to tell the Forte what patches to play but 3 of the tracks have note note data. One track the organ has both the initial program change and note data so it plays. There are 6 tracks that have note data and no initial program change. So it's acting as it should. Each track needs note data and an initial patch sent to the synth.
The original complaint didn't mention anything about the extract to tracks. He said a midi file won't play all tracks. I'll see if I can find another file and see how the extract to tracs works.If there's any issue at all with the program it'll be the extract to tracks.
FWIW I opened your file in 2011 and it exhibits the same behavior. I suspect your file is wacky as I've never had this issue in 2011.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I just found another type 0 midi file. It extracted and played perfectly.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah, I think the 'no program change' is the issue; but if I recall correctly it used to default to program 1 and you heard *something*. Not sure when that changed.

Could be remembering it wrong I suppose.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
When you open a file it should lay things out just as it was saved. Whoever created this file you have saved it very weird. No instruments in most cases.
The bottom line to me is there is nothing wrong with RB as far as these two issues go.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,631
Posts735,243
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SYOTR, Steve Smith, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185