Print Thread
Go To
#122886 07/26/11 06:35 AM
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi guys, it's been a while.
Last time I was here was back in November last year when I posted a couple of tracks for your listening pleasure.
You were all so very helpful then, offering much constructive criticism and valuable advice that opened my ears to both the shortcomings in my recordings and the possibilities for improvement.
And I thank you all again for that.

I would like to single out Rharv for special thanks. He re mixed some of my tracks for me in an effort to improve them, and did a great job. But he was unfortunately fighting a losing battle and he quickly made me realise that I had to vastly improve the original tracks before I would get anything like the sound I was hearing from other songwriters on here.
So thanks again Bob.

So I've spent most of this year adding to my recording equipment and learning how to use it a little better. Though I'm still far from being an expert I am at last happy with my sound.

I would like to point out that my tracks are song demos to allow me to promote and sell my songs rather than finished masters for release.

I look forward to hearing any comments anyone would like to offer.

Here's the first:

Equipment: Roland VS 1680
Digitech Vocalist VR
Alesis 3630 Compressor
Rode NT1 Microphone
Art Studio V3 Pre Amp
BBE Sonic Sweet

****** Song Summary *************
Title: THIS IS THE SONG

Key=Gb , Tempo 120, Length (m:s)=4:10

Soloist is saved with the song : Guitar,El,Sol,RockBalladEv65 (1167)
Style is _BALBMS2.STY (Pop Ballad Brent Mason)
Style MIDI Instruments are :
RealTracks in style: 366:Bass, Electric, Country Ev 065
RealTracks in style: ~~686:Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 841:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopBalladSlowGritty Ev 065
RealTracks in style: 1167:Guitar, Electric, Soloist RockBalladBrent Ev 065
RealDrums in Style: NashvilleEven16^1-SideStick,Ride

This Is The Song: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10354931

Music is what feelings sound like.
User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Nice lyrics, and nice production. Thanks for sharing!

My 50/90 Songwriting Challenge
My Music Reverbnation
My Music Myspace
Read My Blog

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Songman,

I thoroughly enjoyed your song. Every aspect worked for me. In my book, you've got yourself a winner with this one! I especially liked the lyrics and the way you made the VCVCBC form do a terrific job.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #122889 07/27/11 02:12 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert

What an outstanding song! Noel (above) is quite right

You’ve got 2 good sections going there, a fine and thoroughly coherent lyric and a nice mix.

The organ is terrific, in terms of both choice of patch and placement.

My only reservations about this piece would be that there is perhaps too much going on.

To me, parts of the vocal performance sound a little ‘over-the-top’ (that phasing effect…),

Also I find that the lead electric guitar weaving in and out during the chorus section and particularly in the bridge (“Words that used to come…”) is at best a distraction.

None of this is at all necessary as the song and the sentiments are easily strong enough to stand up for themselves.

As ever, these comments are purely subjective, reflect no superior knowledge of anything and are wholly intended to be constructive.

Hope the lyric is purely fictitious Martin!

Regards,

Marc

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Songman,

I enjoyed your song. But I agree with Marc on that lead guitar being a distraction in the chorus and bridge - it doesn't fit quite right to me and you really don't need it - imho your bridge and chorus would be stronger without it.

Good job! Keep 'em coming.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
No problem with the lead vocal sound here.
Agree though that at times the left side guitar leads distract from the song (which is what you are really trying to sell if I read correctly).

Nice live sound to it.
Very cool that you listed the realtracks for us. It helps hearing how certain ones work in different situations.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Noel96 #122892 07/28/11 05:41 AM
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi Noel,

Thanks so much for the kind words - really pleased that you liked it. Thanks for taking the time to listen.

Martin

User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi Marc,

Thanks for the comments - can I book you to do all my future reviews?

Not sure what you mean about the vocal. I did push it a little to give it some "oomph" tho I'm sure your ears are better than mine. Maybe you could explain the "phasing" reference to this poor novice. I seem to remember getting that comment on my earlier posts last year!!

Now for that damn guitar!!
Josie and Bob seem to be of the same opinion and I have to confess I dithered over it a long while when I first recorded it.

But mostly my concern was the guitar part in the Bridge, which I had a feeling was too much. I think the problem with me was that I listened to it so many times I eventually got used to it.
But I think you are all correct - it has to go. Shoulda gone with my first instinct!!

I actually like the guitar in the Chorus, though maybe it could be a little lower in the mix. But I appreciate and consider all your comments so thank you for them and look forward to any you may make on future posts!

Sadly the lyric is entirely from the heart. And a broken one at that.
So a warning to all forum members.........there maybe a few more sad songs on the way. If nothing else, a broken heart inspires some prolific songwriting. Hey ho....every cloud!!

All the best and thanks again

Martin

User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi Josie,

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Much appreciated and taken onboard - see comments above!

As I write this, I have "Rain On The Roof" playing in the background. I like this song so much and wish you every success with it.

Take care

Martin

rharv #122895 07/28/11 06:12 AM
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi Bob,

Seems the guitar is unanimously hated - and yes - the song is the thing here. So time for a rethink and maybe a remix!

And thanks again for your help and input last year with some of my tracks. It certainly made me realize what could be achieved even in a little spare room studio.

My recordings may never be perfect but they are soooo much better than before.

Thanks again

Martin

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Songman,

Very well written song! I am truly impressed with the song, itself. And I think your vocals fit well.

As to the guitar...
The problem with those Brent Mason solo parts is when you use a tempo that is very far away from the original intended temp for the Realtrack. Brent uses a lot of vibrato/bending - sounds really awesome when played at the right tempo. While Elastique does a great job of maintaining the tone and pitch when you alter a tempo, vibrato is one thing that doesn't translate well. Hence the problem. There is a Brent Mason solo intended for the 120 tempo that you used, and would probably have sounded much more natural, if used sparingly. The solo used in your song was intended for tempo 65, but played at about tempo 120.

Again, I really like the song! Sorry about the broken heart, but it does seem to have yielded some good music in the process.

Keep up the good work!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
They are improving without a doubt.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #122898 07/28/11 01:34 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
As Steve pointed out, the pitch remains constant when BiaB timeshifts the music, but the vibrato starts being cartoon-like. The flute has similar issues.

There's an option for choosing a different time base (Half/Normal/Double) that you might want to look at. You can find it in the RealTracks dialog in the upper right side. The instrumentalist plays twice/half as much to fill the space, but you don't get the problem of time distortion that you have now. It's a pretty good solution.

But I also agree with other folk, in that you've got a very solid song, and there's really no need to add all that guitar to it. It just adds busy filigree to a song that's quite good just fine without it.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
dcuny #122899 07/29/11 04:29 AM
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi Steve and David,

The points you both make about the tempo of the style I chose, made me realise that I had actually completely forgotten to check the tempo when I originally used it.

I have a habit of randomly selecting a style merely to input the chords and then work on the song proper once that is done.
On this track, I was pleasantly surprised by how well it fit with what I actually wanted that I merely went with it.

I must confess, to my untrained ears it still sounds okay apart from the twiddly stuff going on in the bridge which I thought at the time was wrong but went with it anyway.
That'll teach me!

Very happy that you liked the song however. And I'll be sure to pay more attention to my tempo next time.

Thanks again guys

All the best

Martin

User Showcase
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
"This is the song I thought I'd never have to write". If I could write I would have penned these words due to a breakup last October. I am just now beginning to come out of the funk of heartache and being able to listen to music (lyrics) without sinking into despair. I suppose I shouldn't mention personal stuff but I am celebrating the fact that the sun does shine again.

Also I think the melody really works well to bring out the lyrics.

Good song!

Mike

MrEd #122901 08/01/11 12:29 AM
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi Mike,

I truly know where you're coming from. Mine was April last year, and like you I've had a slow climb back.

As to personal stuff, every song I post on here is just me pouring my heart out - and it helps. And to me, the best compliment a songwriter can receive is to be told that there music has touched someone in some way.

So thank you for your comments.

Bring on the sun!!

Take care fella.

Martin

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,569
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200