Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#123583 07/31/11 12:51 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
One last sample of the demos. The players should have had time to learn these well enough to record in maybe 2 weeks and I'll keep everybody posted after we record.

The One That Got Away

There is no guitar solo because I just didn't bother since I am not going to be playing it, but there will be one after the second chorus. Maybe 6 string, maybe pedal. Depends on which guy wants it.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hey Eddie,

I have listened to a few of your demos and except for one (?), your intros are way too long for the genre you are writing for. Plus I think at least two of them were well over 5 minutes -- that is just too long to hold folks' attention. The demo quality is good enough for your band to figure out what you want, but it seems like you are playing the backing tracks out to speakers and you are singing along and recording all that. Is that how you are recording?

One other thing, I would write 5 uptempo tunes for every slow ballad. I don't know your ratio, but 2 of the 4 that I have listened to are super slow. If your audience loves it, then continue on -- but contemporary country demands up-tempo (or mid-tempo) tunes.

It looks like you have figured out this BIAB stuff!

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Thanks for the input. When I record it is all line level, no speakers. I dump the BIAB to an 8 track TEAC on 2 tracks. Then I start layering in vocal, additional keys, additional guitar, etc.....

I could probably cut the intros in half. No big thing there.

As it sits now, the 10 tracks come to 54 minutes. Some I actually struggled to make LONGER so I didn't put out a 34 minute CD. I will reconsider that line of thinking, as you are not the first to mention length.

Of the 10, the 2 on the Sound Cloud pager are the only 2, outside of one country waltz. The rest are uptempo.

Private message coming at you here as well.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Quote:

As it sits now, the 10 tracks come to 54 minutes. Some I actually struggled to make LONGER so I didn't put out a 34 minute CD. I will reconsider that line of thinking, as you are not the first to mention length.

Well, 10 songs at 54 minutes is OK for a jazz instrumental CD -- but for a country type disc? Way, way too long. 12 songs/40 minutes is the target. Anything longer than that and you will lose your intended audience -- unless it is so great and dynamic that the genius of it all can not be denied. 10 songs at 34 minutes is quite alright -- just because you CAN put 60+ minutes on a CD doesn't make it a good idea.

I responded to your PM and I hope your CD turns out great. If you work on that length thing, your chances of success go up.

Kevin

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Good advice that I will consider. Thanks.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Eddie

Since you sounded open as to information, country music is weird in the format changes it goes through.
Here is a link to Nashville's Ralph Murphy - he does an assessment of 2010 hits.
Ralph Murphy

As to country rules - I once heard, no longer than 25 sec for an intro, and you'd better be starting the chorus in 45 sec. That's when it was Verse Chorus Verse Chorus Verse Chorus. Now Country has switched to VVC and then whatever.

Thought it might be an interesting FYI.

Cheers Mate - Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Good reading and I will refer back to it.

I think my problem with this is that at 60 years of age, everything to me should be a Pink Floyd "opus" kind of work. Drawn out, elaborate, lots of slow tension before the release. I have never tried to write "for radio" and that's what I need to learn. I have this old school "formula" in my head of long intro, verse, verse, bridge, chorus, half verse... etc.... like the old school songs were. A few of mine hit SIX minutes.

Thanks for the link and the input.

Added in edit:

One other thing I see is how formulaic I am as far as how I word things. My hook is always the last line of my chorus, which makes the listeners wait a LONG time to see why "The One That Got Away" IS The One That Got Away. However, since songs are stories set to music, I don't know how else to tell the story about being born in different worlds, paths crossing, things going well for a while, etc.... to word it any other way would feel like doing the punch line of a joke before the setup. That is what I need to work on.

The "win" side of this is that none of these songs were ever meant to go anywhere but on my CD. Not going to be shopping them, so no rejection letters.....

User Showcase
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Dump to tape?!?! Really when Rb will open your Biab files and allow up to 48 tracks. Really that is the way to go, since you can then burn a copy for everyone, and even convert to MP3 and send a file over E-mail.

Yer a computer tech, step it up boy!

;-)

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Not to tape. To an 8 track direct to disc recorder. From which I send mics and keyboards and such through the Mackie into the Tascam.

All in the exploration of BIAB and RB. I don't know how to input into BIAB or RB yet. So I can feed back through my M-Audio MIDI interface and record into BIAB?

Never tried, never thought TO try, never looked at if it was possible. Old school guy I though BIAB was only output.

User Showcase
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Real Band is a 48 track recording studio. You can use any USB or PCI or Firewire interface and record just like in the Tascam, but you have far more options.

Add solos, add instruments, add vocals, use the extra tracks to add background vocals, mix, pan, add effects, and ultimately burn to Disk.

BiaB has limited recording one track really, RB has as i said above.

What M-Audio interface do you have?

Never mind you have a Fast track Pro.

Dude are you pullin my leg? Seriously Plug that thing in and configure it to work with RealBand.

Close BiaB abd open Rb, then open the Biab song in RB, and start adding to it.

Last edited by Robh; 08/01/11 01:39 PM.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Eddie

FYI - my interface is a Tascam Portastudio 488. I run the Line out into the Sound Card Line in.
Mics in the Tascam Mixer, out the line out.
Back into the Tascam via the Sound Card output, then out of the Tascam monitor in to the poweramp. Works like a charm.

You got better pieces than I do.

Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Quote:

You got better pieces than I do.

That may be, Ian, but yours work.....

User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,478
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195