Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Well you don't need to hear this, or maybe you do.

I never record in RB, just not part of my workflow as I move from BIAB to Reaper for my projects. But after all this hoopla in this thread I thought I'd give it a try.

I read Rhave's setup instruction and in two minutes, on my first try I was recording in RB 2011. So it ain't the software.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

I also notice that one pic says 16 bit recording and the previous pic says 24 bit .. Probably not the problem but something is changing .. I just noticed. Stick with 16/44 for testing if possible. I like 24 bit much better, but sticking to a set bitrate can help solve issues.

Yeah that was testing every setting I could on the interface itself. Same results with both.

STILL concerned why the tracks turned yellow yet nothing recorded. And I have now tested with line and mic level inputs, with the interface set to mono, stereo.... input 1, input 2.... the only thing I have not done yet, and will do after dinner, is plug up a controller and see if it records MIDI.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Well you don't need to hear this, or maybe you do.

I never record in RB, just not part of my workflow as I move from BIAB to Reaper for my projects. But after all this hoopla in this thread I thought I'd give it a try.

I read Rhave's setup instruction and in two minutes, on my first try I was recording in RB 2011. So it ain't the software.

I DID need to hear that, Dan. SO now, let's think. I know I am sending signal to the interface. The light on the M-Audio flashes to say so. That means that the issue has to be between the M-Audio and the computer. We h ave verified the computer settings, so the puzzle piece between point A (synth/mic) and point C, computer is point B, the interfaces connection to the computer. Please god tell me it isn't a bad USB cable..... Is it even possible that a USB cable could carry bytes one direction and not the other? Not that I know of, but I have been wrong before.

Well, not really... I thought I was once, but I was wrong about that....

Thank you. I'll be here all week,

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
LOL that is a good one!

What i get from this is that you are not getting any signal in RB to the track level.

Let's start with what we know.

We know the interface sends signal because Sonar receives it.

We know that Rb is recording since the track changes color.

Okay Eddie, what version of RB? 2011? and what build?

Is the volume fader all the way up in the Delta driver applet?

Is there a volume fader on the interface that might be down now?

Is the volume output in the Delta (M-Audio) applet muted?

Is the green check mark showing in the RB track? (or a red X)

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

What i get from this is that you are not getting any signal in RB to the track level.

CORRECT

We know that Rb is recording since the track changes color.

I DID NOT KNOW IF THAT MATTERED OR NOT.

Okay Eddie, what version of RB? 2011? and what build?

2011 (4)

Is the volume fader all the way up in the Delta driver applet?

I ASSUME THAT WHERE THE TRACK NUMBERS ARE ON THE LEFT? YES, IT IS

Is there a volume fader on the interface that might be down now?

NO. I HEAR MY KEYBOARD PLAYING THROUGH THE INTERFACE

Is the volume output in the Delta (M-Audio) applet muted?

I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN BY THAT. "DELTA APPLET" IS THROWING ME.

Is the green check mark showing in the RB track? (or a red X)

GREEN CHECK

Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Eddie -

As a start, and you may have tried this already, but here goes (in picture):

Let me know once you have that set. I suggest you do the same for playback devices.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Oh no it didn't.......

I looked at my wiring. My Fast Track was plugged into my USB hub. I moved it from the hub to a port on the computer.

Somehow that mattered and I can now record audio.

You all have my complete and expressed permission to call me "jackass".

I have NO idea why that matters. None. EVERYTHING else is fine and has been fine since I go this computer and put in the hub.

Un-freakin-believable.

THANK YOU to every one who joined me in my hair pulling adventure. If my frustration boiled over and was taken as anything more, I apologize.

Veteran
Veteran
Okay, Eddie -

I suspect the problem was that it wasn't getting enough power from the USB hub. I actually went to Radio Shack and bought a universal power adapter for the Fast Track, because I didn't trust that it would receive enough power from the USB port to do all that is says it can do. You may want to consider the same thing, then I suspect it will work fine even in the USB hub.

And in the end it was not drivers, so you were right on that account. But it wasn't RealBand either.

So now, just enjoy playing with it and we're still here to help you with any problems you encounter.

Last edited by jford; 08/02/11 06:03 PM.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
(cool)
Weird that it worked with Sonar though ..
Anyway, now you can have fun like the rest of us!

Thanks Robh and John, for hanging in there and helping him

Last edited by rharv; 08/02/11 06:29 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
R
Journeyman
Journeyman
R
Quote:

I suspect the problem was that it wasn't getting enough power from the USB hub. ........

Probably so. Although somewhere above, I think the OP said the interface is powered up 24/7. If no external power (to either the interface or the hub itself), that would imply the computer is on all the time. That got me wondering if the interface itself might need to be "rebooted." Buried deep in this thread is some teensy advice from one Peter Gannon, apparently ignored, but which would have effectively done just that.

So I'd be curious to know if switching back to the hub now works.

Whatever. Glad problem solved.

-Ron

Last edited by rkl122; 08/02/11 06:40 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
No advice given by Peter Gannon is teensy .. Not many owners show up to help like he does.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
We be a team around these here parts!!

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
We've seen others who were so sure they could blow off Peter's advice. They do so at their peril.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Weird that it worked with Sonar though

Dude, is weird even the word?

That was top down troubleshooting by everybody all the way to the floor and it was something stupid like taking it out of the hub and putting it into the computer.

Thank you EVERYBODY!!! Playing with Brent Mason right now pasting together a good solo. Fading out a held note... all of it.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Hey Eddie,
You're not a Jackass, We have one of our PCs with a USB Webcam and 2 USB printers plugged into it.
Before we replaced the second printer for a newer photo printer everything was fine. Whe we installed the new printer the Webcam stopped working. This was a big deal for us because my wife speaks to her daughter and grandsons every week in England. We plugged and uplugged it a dozen times. and nothing worked. We thought the webcam was broken. I installed it on another PC and it was fine. We switched places with the new printer and they both worked, only now our other printer wasn't being found.
So I went back to the PC it belongs on and moved the 2 USB printer cables over to the next USB port. Then I plugged the Webcam into the first USB port and it was recognised right away. It was like musical ports. That same PC has 2 USB ports on the front, where I plug in thumb drives and an external HardDrive for backup. If I reverse the cables neither one works. So one goes into the left and the other into the right.
Before everything became USB I used to plug into any port and things would work, but now that we have more devices than ports the computer has gotten really picky.
I had a powered USB hub and it worked fine until I bought a new scanner. I figured the hub would work well because it was a powered hub and the scanner ran off USB power. Wrong, I had to use a USB port on the PC. The hub is off now and the scanner is on a different PC because the other PC ran out of ports. Who would have thought 6 ports wouldn't be enough.

It has worked out better anyway. The scanner works much better on the core 2 duo, with more RAM and even with my music gear, my music PC is much less cluttered than my wife's. Her computer area is beginning to look like an OfficeMax store. lol

Wayne,

Journeyman
Journeyman
I think we should just agree to disagree. PTPA is not a crippled Realband and no one said Realband is not a good DAW. Many users here go from BIAB right to Reaper.

You're right I hardly use RTs. So there's really no difference in me using BIAB and PTPA like others who use BIAB and Reaper.

We both stand by what we believe. To each his own. I love BIAB but I have no use for Realband.
Many people here don't even know what Powertracks is.

If PTPA vanished tomorrow I'd be using BIAB and Steinberg's Cubase.
Nuff said,
Wayne,

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
You are certainly welcome to your opinion Wayne, but the facts are simple RB is a product that came from a melding of Powertracks and BiaB. RB has everything Powertracks has with one exception, the TC harmonizer is not built into it. That was due from my understanding a licensing issue. But you can access it thru either PTPA or BiaB.

I have both, and have had Powertracks since version 10. It is virtually the same program as RB, just that RB does a whole lot more with the BiaB features added in. RB allows direct opening of BiaB files, and will generate RTs. PT does not do that. If you open the same files that you open in PT in RB it would act the same.

RB is certainly more feature rich, and that is why it is a bit more heavy. PT is a lighter weight program, because the BiaB features were not added, allowing people who do not use BiaB to have a lean DAW for basic tracking.

Rb was designed and built to allow BiaB users to take their creations to the next level.

Rb is not considered on the level of programs like Sonar, Cubase, and even Reaper due to that fact it does not have some of the very deep features those have, it is more basic, of course none of them can generate a realtrack. A couple things RB does not have that these bigger names have is Node based automation, tempo locking of VSTis, and things like Lanes, or takes. Interesting thing is PTPA does not have them either. The reason is that PT is RB, they come from the same coding.

Actually PTPA will not do anything that Rb does, but RB does a lot PTPA can't.

Expert
Expert
This is why I returned my USB audio card & went with an internal one so long ago.....

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Veteran
Veteran
Crippled wasn't a good word choice. How about 'lean and mean' ? I know others that still prefer PTPA. If I didn't use RT's I'd probably prefer it too. But honestly RB is PTPA with a few more BiaB features thrown in. Sometimes those features are handy here.

Eddie, thanks for letting us know what it was.

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

You are certainly welcome to your opinion Wayne, but the facts are simple RB is a product that came from a melding of Powertracks and BiaB. RB has everything Powertracks has with one exception, the TC harmonizer is not built into it. That was due from my understanding a licensing issue. But you can access it thru either PTPA or BiaB.

I have both, and have had Powertracks since version 10. It is virtually the same program as RB, just that RB does a whole lot more with the BiaB features added in. RB allows direct opening of BiaB files, and will generate RTs. PT does not do that. If you open the same files that you open in PT in RB it would act the same.

RB is certainly more feature rich, and that is why it is a bit more heavy. PT is a lighter weight program, because the BiaB features were not added, allowing people who do not use BiaB to have a lean DAW for basic tracking.

Rb was designed and built to allow BiaB users to take their creations to the next level.

Rb is not considered on the level of programs like Sonar, Cubase, and even Reaper due to that fact it does not have some of the very deep features those have, it is more basic, of course none of them can generate a realtrack. A couple things RB does not have that these bigger names have is Node based automation, tempo locking of VSTis, and things like Lanes, or takes. Interesting thing is PTPA does not have them either. The reason is that PT is RB, they come from the same coding.

Actually PTPA will not do anything that Rb does, but RB does a lot PTPA can't.

I have the TC harmonizer but I had to buy powertracks to get it, just wondering does the TC come with realband now or you still have to buy powertracks?

musiclover

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,514
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195