Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Journeyman
Journeyman
Are these Crows the same as big Blackbirds?
We have them here upstate NY, a couple of time a years when the seasons change and they scare the squirrels and even the cats. When the fall comes and the leaves fall off the trees, you can see the nests and they're huge and really high. They seem to stay pretty high up.
When a bunch of them drop down on our property, we can see how really large these birds are. And loud when they get into a little scuffle.
Wayne,

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

So it was drivers after all.

Actually, it was not the drivers. The drivers have not been touched through all of this.

So bottom line, the who thing was fixed by rebotting the computer - or turning in off and on again.

Eddie, Eddie, Eddie, isn't that one of the first things we all do when a computer doesn't do what its supposed to do?

I don't know how Rharv got associated with the label of "its his fault", but this should go down in the forum achives as "pullin an Eddie".

Make sure you read my signature - my intentions are only intended to be humorous. After all Eddie did get us the new search feature in the styles menu and this entire thread has been a hoot.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

I don't know how Rharv got associated with the label of "its his fault", but this should go down in the forum achives as "pullin an Eddie".

I can deal with "pullin' and Eddie".

No worse than "pull your head out of your Eddie...."

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I don't know how Rharv got associated with the label of "its his fault",

I guess that has been kind of an inside joke for a while now ..
One time a user said they tried everything rharv suggested and it still is not working (and the program was junk etc).
Problem is I hadn't done the suggesting he was referring to. Mac thought that was funny and replied that it must be rharv's fault.
Being in a humorous mood, Mac went the rest of the day blaming me for every problem anyone had on the forum.

I didn't notice right away what had initiated it, so it was throwing me for a loop too, until I PM'd Mac and he showed me the original post .. which was kinda funny.
So we've had fun with it ever since.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

And the issue is NOT my M-Audio box. When I use Sonar I set things up the same way and can record real time with no problems.

And one more bird helping here.Maybe
This statement was made 2 days ago and was probably the single most important thing that through everyone off the track.So did it or did it not record in Sonar in the same session you were trying to record in RB.Just trying to figure out what really happened. If it did record then something is amiss with RB not detecting or hooking up. If you were mistaken then we've reach the end and it was indeed a need to cycle the interface.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Okay. it worked in Sonar 2 days before all this started when I laid out a whole song. Closed Sonar down and went to bed. Next day started the "use Real Band, dummy (in my best Fred Sanford impersonation)" conversation so I did. I went in and I THOUGHT followed every tutorial correctly about how to set up the audio properties. Tried the ASIO thing and all of it. After many crashes the driver discussions started, which sent me down the "it worked yesterday" path. Relented and through I would normally be too stubborn to do so I went to M-Audio and checked, and that had a driver dated Dec 2010. Given that I got this computer in June 2011, I already had that driver because I downloaded rather than play with CDs.

This is where the "howevers" start. I had never played with ASIO, MME, M-O-U-S-E.... any of it. I plug the stuff in and it works. Done. All in BIAB. Not RB. Which is a WHOLE new learning curve, and I am not even off the BIAB curve yet.

So yes, the bottom line is that 60 years of macho kept me from listening to people who were earnestly trying to help me and coming off as an arrogant a**h***. (Which I can be when I set my mind to it, but over a bucket of wings at the sports bar watching the Browns lose I will have you laughing the whole day. I used to do stand up comedy, in fact.)

The thing that fixed this was essentially moving it from the USB hub to a computer port, if only to let Windows redetect the thing and give it a new address on the memory bus.

I have since finished the crow dinner party and hope you can all understand that after hours of doing the same thing and expecting different results, the definition of insanity, I wanted to toss the computer, the interface, all 5 keyboards, all three controllers, both drum machines, all 10 guitars, all three saxes, both mixers, the monitors and the effects rack out of this second story window and give up music forever.

Last edited by pgmoderation; 08/04/11 03:48 PM.

2. Send it to us.
Veteran
Veteran
From M Audio. Interesting

Conectiv

Issue: Power Spikes/Fluctuations can cause the device to go offline and stop communicating with the computer. Audio input and output will stop functioning.

Workaround: There is no definitive workaround. Recommendations include using a power conditioner/surge protector; using a USB cable w/ ferrite bead; keeping all power supplies, neon & fluorescent lights, and other EMI emitting devices away from Conectiv; and connecting other DJ and lighting equipment to a separate circuit when possible.

AND

Q: I used up all of my computers built-in USB ports. Can I use a USB hub to connect my M-Audio device to my computer?

A: Do not use a USB hub during the driver installation! Install the drivers with M-Audio USB device connected directly to your Computer’s USB ports without using a hub. Once the drivers are installed and verified that your M-Audio interface works as expected that way, you can test the device with a USB hub to see if it still works properly. Most USB hubs we've tested worked fine with MIDISport Series products and USB MIDI Keyboard controllers. When using a USB audio device on a USB hub, keep in mind that all devices that are connected to the same hub have to share the native USB port's bandwidth. This means that it is more likely to run into problems when the bandwidth limit of the USB port is reached.

If you experience any problems, you should use the device without the USB hub. If you are thinking about purchasing a new USB hub, we recommend using a powered USB 2.0 hub that uses it’s own power supply. We've had very good experiences with powered USB hubs by “Griffin Technologies” and “Dr. Bott”.

AND

Q: My M-Audio USB Audio- or MIDI interface fails to install, doesn't work after installation, or drops out of the system every now and then. What could be the cause of this?

A: A common reason for such problems is the Power Management function of the USB Root Hub. Under Windows XP, disabling the Power Management for all USB Root Hubs in your system should resolve this problem:

1. Open the Device Manager (Start-> right click on "My Computer", click on "Properties" -> Hardware -> Device Manager)
2. Look under the category Universal Serial Bus controllers and find the USB Root Hub.
3. Right click and select Properties, go to the Power Management tab
4. Uncheck the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." and click "OK".

Repeat this for each of the USB Root Hubs shown in the Device Manager.

AND

Performance issues with multi-core processors (Windows XP)
Text size [-] [+]

Computers that are running Windows XP Service Pack 2 and that are equipped with multiple processors that support processor power management features may experience decreased performance.

Symptoms
Computers that are equipped with multiple processors that support processor power management features, such as Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) processor performance states, require Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2). Additional updates are available to optimize performance and behavior on computers that are running Windows XP SP2. Without these updates, computers that are equipped with these power management-capable, mobile, dual-core processors may experience decreased performance or unexpected behavior.

Resolution
For users experiencing any of these symptoms, including irregular playback of the Click-Track in Pro Tools, the following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:

Download the WindowsXP-KB896256-v4-x86-ENU.exe package now

Note: It is always a good idea to back up your valuable files before making any changes to your system.

MORE INFORMATION
Windows XP SP2 is required on computers that have multiple CPUs that support ACPI processor performance states. This requirement includes computers that support the following items:

• Multiple physical sockets
• Multiple-core designs
• Multiple logical threads, such as Intel hyper-threading technology

Any users experiencing a decrease in performance after this update, click here and scroll down to the Update details section.

AND

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Veteran
Veteran
I concur, I was puzzled by that detail as well. [EDIT: i was referring to post #326889, above, which was the latest as of the time I was writing this.]

To "throw" one more thing out there, it is possible in Windows to overflow the allowed number of USB drivers. You say, that couldn't happen to you? As mentioned above, just plugging in the same device to a different port can load a new driver. I was amazed how many USB drivers were loaded on my system.

Last edited by Matt Finley; 08/04/11 02:30 PM.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Okay. it worked in Sonar 2 days before all this started when I laid out a whole song. Closed Sonar down and went to bed. Next day started the "use Real Band, dummy (in my best Fred Sanford impersonation)" conversation so I did. I went in and I THOUGHT followed every tutorial correctly about how to set up the audio properties. Tried the ASIO thing and all of it. After many crashes the driver discussions started, which sent me down the "it worked yesterday" path. Relented and through I would normally be too stubborn to do so I went to M-Audio and checked, and that had a driver dated Dec 2010. Given that I got this computer in June 2011, I already had that driver because I downloaded rather than play with CDs.

This is where the "howevers" start. I had never played with ASIO, MME, M-O-U-S-E.... any of it. I plug the stuff in and it works. Done. All in BIAB. Not RB. Which is a WHOLE new learning curve, and I am not even off the BIAB curve yet.

So yes, the bottom line is that 60 years of macho kept me from listening to people who were earnestly trying to help me and coming off as an arrogant a**h***. (Which I can be when I set my mind to it, but over a bucket of wings at the sports bar watching the Browns lose I will have you laughing the whole day. I used to do stand up comedy, in fact.)

The thing that fixed this was essentially moving it from the USB hub to a computer port, if only to let Windows redetect the thing and give it a new address on the memory bus.

I have since finished the crow dinner party and hope you can all understand that after hours of doing the same thing and expecting different results, the definition of insanity, I wanted to toss the computer, the interface, all 5 keyboards, all three controllers, both drum machines, all 10 guitars, all three saxes, both mixers, the monitors and the effects rack out of this second story window and give up music forever.

Listen my friend I'm glad it appears sorted out. Let's all learn from this and move on to making music. And helping others with their problems. Have you seen the issues I posted above?

Last edited by pgmoderation; 08/04/11 03:50 PM.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Listen my friend I'm glad it appears sorted out. Let's all learn from this and move on to making music. And helping others with their problems. Have you seen the issues I posted above?

I read all of that and in fact printed it out. It deals mostly with XP as far as the power side of it but the rest is just good computer management stuff.

This is where "the world should be perfect" Eddie comes out. For M-Audio to say "Yeah, we know." without adding "We have a team working on that issue 24/7 until it is resolved" makes me angry. To tell customers who pay $200 for this thing that "it's good enough, and it works, so just accept it with lowered expectations" just doesn't sound like a good business model. At the help desk when I had to tell customers, by management order, "That is a known issue".... I hated that. I once told my bosses "If it is a known issue, find the right people to fix it, lock them in a room and every 6 hours slide pizzas under the door, but nobody leaves that room until this is fixed." Though I suppose the bathroom aspect would be a little problematic.... maybe gallon jugs....

But I am all for leaving this in the rear view. It was a simple issue that I made complicated.

One of my lyrics is "Everybody lives most all of their lives looking for mountains to climb".

2. Send it to us.
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Ain't chu done with that album yet?! Get on with it slacker!

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Ain't chu done with that album yet?! Get on with it slacker!

On to the next one!!!

The country album is done. Back to rockin'. First one is called "You Had Me At Goodbye".

2. Send it to us.
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

"Everybody lives most all of their lives looking for mountains to climb".

Not if you're driving a 1977 Oldsmobile wagon filled with your band's equipment and a bad radiator.
Wayne,

Veteran
Veteran
Yer 'on' tonight Wayne. Smiled more than once. Only cause I can relate.

Smiles all around tonight

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Journeyman
Journeyman
True story,
We got more than halfway up a long hill in the dark, in the woods at night and the car would not go any further.
Not having headlights on the rear of the car, my wife just covered her eyes as I backed down the hill in reverse, because there was no room for me to turn the car around. She couldn't believe we made it. What else could I do? I had to try.

Ah, the good ole days,
Wayne,

Last edited by redguitars; 08/04/11 05:01 PM.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Not having headlights on the rear of the car, my wife just covered her eyes as I backed down the hill in reverse

That is a funny story and I have one similar, though not "funny".

I was stationed in Danang Vietnam. Between Danang and Phu Bai was a road that wrapped around Monkey Mountain. The road was one vehicle wide, so there was a radio operator at the top and the bottom because if one was coming down, nothing could go up because they couldn't pass.

One morning at 3am I got a call (because I was motor sergeant) that a truck was hit with mortar fire on that hill and we had to go clear it. I told 4 guys they were volunteering to go with me and we set off in a 5 ton wrecker. When we got to the mountain I told one of the guys "You remove that right side mirror", which he did. Then I told the driver to put the right side of that truck against the mountain and scrape it all the way until we get to the wrecked truck. And because they had been shelled, we had to run on blackout lights, which are essentially lights the size of that little slot airplanes have to put razor blades in. (Who is shaving on these airplanes?) So with two guys walking up the mountain to help guide the truck through the darkness, we made it to the wrecked truck. Now, remember, 3am. Jungle. Mountain looking out over a valley. Sound travels really well. As we hooked up the tow bar, being as quiet as possible, the sound of the metal let them know someone was there and they tossed about a dozen more mortar rounds in. We all took cover the best we could, and then it was Katie Bar The Door to get out of there. Blackout hell! They knew we were there so we went down that hill as fast as was safe.

Only when we got to the bottom did one of the guys say "Hey sarge. You are bleeding." I looked down at my lower right leg and sure enough I had a little shrapnel that hit my shin. The adrenaline was so high I didn't even feel it. And I didn't get it bad. They landed so far off target that is was really at the end of the velocity of the shrapnel, to the point where I took all 3 pieces out with needle nosed pliers on the way to the med station.

Had they been better shots... LOL!!!

Moral of the story, I'll take that old car!!

2. Send it to us.
Journeyman
Journeyman
That's some story Eddie. It's funny when guys like us get to be our age now, things other people say sometimes make us think of things we haven't thought about for a lifetime. You and I are just about the same age. That's a big deal to me. Most people I know are either much older or much younger.
Since we made it this far and I'm not saying we're very old, but most of my friends have past away quite a few years ago, we remember things that happened to us so long ago, it's amazing we can recall them with such detail.
If I had to write a book about my life, I'd be stumped, but talking to people, the things they say make me remember things I haven't thought about in 40 years.
Your story about going up that hill with a wrecker made me remember that when I was in my 20s I was a Police Tow Truck Driver in NY City. Lots of stories from that, but not now and not here.
My point is that I haven't thought about that since 1973.
And I think maybe my hill story made you think of your Vietnam Hill Story.
I do wonder how some of us make it this far. I never thought I'd make it past 40. My father died when I was 8 and he was 40. I thought he was old. Now I'm just about 20 years older than he was.
He seemed like such a mature man then. When I think of who I was and what I was doing 20 years ago, I think of myself as being a kid. The fact is, I could have a kid that would be 40 years old now if I had one in my late teens.
My wife is in England now visiting her Daughter and grandsons. She's 39 and her huband turned 40 a couple of days ago. They seem so young.
I never got it when everyone said my father was so young, when he died. Now I do. He missed a lot of living.
Life is strange. You have a good night Buddy, Wayne,

Last edited by redguitars; 08/04/11 07:48 PM.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Well Wayne, the reality is that I am diabetic due to exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam. I am the type who has to be dragged to a doctor, so for YEARS there was no reason for me to go in for more than the occasional stitches, a shot of something for a throat infection, etc... never anything that involved blood work. At 52 my then wife kind of pushed me to my 50 year tuneup and that included blood work, EKGs, all of it. Complete top down physical including "the glove".

Well, "the glove" was and still is okay but at that point I was told I was diabetic. So doing the math, the Agent Orange caused it, and I did not know until 30 years later, thus did not treat it for 30 years, and MUCH damage was already done. I am sitting on 60 now and realistically I have 7-8 years left. I am good with that and my main concern is that if my dog is still alive she does NOT go to a shelter. That is actually in my will, that if she is alive when I go my executor takes her in. My house and all is to be sold and any profits go to the animal shelter where I got all my dogs, and that is my legacy.

Now to get this ONE CD out and maybe sell 100 units..... that will be my musical legacy.

But the point of the post is that yes, sometimes a story or a comment will trigger a thought of something that happened. Had I need 20 yards closer to where that mortar landed, who knows if I'd be here annoying everybody when my temper takes control of my brain?

And now to go out with my dog one last time for the day and off to bed for me.

You have a great night as well.

2. Send it to us.
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

...but over a bucket of wings at the sports bar watching the Browns lose I will have you laughing the whole day. I used to do stand up comedy, in fact.)

AH HA! THATS where all this came from. Comedians are notorious emotional basket cases, I've worked with three over my musical show group career. My favorite was a former Dublin policeman with a black belt in Judo with that killer, crazy Irish sense of humor. Talk about a combination of skills and guy you don't want to piss off in a dark alley. We were partners for about 3 years when I lived in Canada. Paul was very quick with the comeback one-liners. You want to talk about Pat and Mike jokes? Or Father Murphy and the nuns? He knows em all. He was also an emotional wreck with several ex's but a great guy to be around anyway.

You're a good guy Eddie and a fellow vet. I wanted to fly in the worst way and was 'this close' to joining the Army chopper flight school in 1964 after I got my draft notice. I had already passed all the initial tests. Sounded like fun to an 18 year old and you graduate as a Warrant Officer with no 4 year degree? What a deal. If my father hadn't talked me into joining the Air Force instead I probably wouldn't be posting on this forum right now. I don't have to tell you what the life expectancy was of a new chopper pilot arriving in Nam in those years. I was in the Air Force Security Service and almost went to the unit at DaNang but went to Misawa, Japan instead. Remember when the Pueblo was captured by North Korea? Same outfit, just the Navy version.

Just try to chill a little scosch ok?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,746
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191