Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

One way to see if it is the routing -
Open a new seq file
highlite every available device in the drivers input window
click OK and hit record.

Every device will record to its own track so you can see if any of the selections are getting a signal. If one does, count how many tracks down it is and compare it to the list. Yes they will record and not show in the VU.

Maybe RB mislabels the inputs (?)
This test would find out.

How does the M-Audio connect to the computer? USB, PCI, Firewire?

I don't know what that means "every available device". What "device" are you talking about? Recording input? You can only use one or the other (input 1-2 or input 3-4), and I tried both. And I knew 3-4 was wrong because it is turned off in the control panel. M-Audio 1-2 is my default recording "device" if that is the context you are using that term.

And again, I keep coming back to this, it works with Sonar so there is not a hardware issue. The M-Audio is routing, as controlled by Windows sound hardware in control panel, not BIAB, and if I can record in Sonar, nothing in setup is preventing me from recording in BIAB.

Pulled my hair out for 2 hours last night over this, and this is all wasted time. So back to "create with BIAB, record to Tascam, play overdub tracks into Tascam"... I know that works for me. Real Band does not.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
To clarify - There have been times when a device gets mislabeled or put out of order in RB. It's rare.

To see if something is happening with RB you should first go to audio preferences and change the box for mono track recording option that lists Left, Right, or L&R .. set to select L&R. Just to be sure all possibilities are covered.

Now go to the Drivers section (drivers button) and highlite EVERY available input at the same time by just clicking them.

Then go to RB and record to a stereo track while inputing signal (just for a couple seconds).
The driver listed first will record onto the first track. The next driver down will automatically record to the second track, third down to third, etc. It will do this for all enabled drivers (and yes I called them devices earlier).

Most users do not multitrack so would not have known about this feature.
This will tell if something weird is going on inside RB like inputs are labeled wrong .. or the sound is getting routed to MS Sound mapper or something. It's a test worth trying. It's quick, easy and I should have thought of this much sooner.
This trick will tell you if RB is getting audio at all anywhere.

Last edited by rharv; 08/02/11 09:48 AM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
As for your rendering problem; try clicking the rebuild button in the realtracks dialogue. See if that realtrack start functioning.

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

The output VU meters are fine. When I try to record a little Hammond sound over that song we worked with, the input VUs do not move, it doe snot record, but I can hear the synth as I play it. That tells me it is hitting the interface but not going through it to the software. When I stop the record, it asks if I want to keep the take. I say yes. I play back, nothing. The track does not show any wave activity.

You say you are using a "Synth". Then you say "no wave activity".

Simple question - just ignor if not applicable but, are you recording midi or audio?

Veteran
Veteran
If you are recording MIDI data from your keyboard, you won't see any activity on the VU meters. The VU meters only register audio. If you are hitting keys on the synth and they are connected to the synth port on your M-Audio, then you need to make the record track a MIDI track. Once recorded, it should play through whatever your output synth is.

Otherwise, if you are using line-out audio from your synth plugged into an audio input on your M-Audio, then you should be receiving audio and you should see the VU meters. I've got the M-Audio FastTrack Pro and that's how it works for me in RealBand.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Otherwise, if you are using line-out audio from your synth plugged into an audio input on your M-Audio, then you should be receiving audio and you should see the VU meters. I've got the M-Audio FastTrack Pro and that's how it works for me in RealBand.

1/4" plug I took right out of my Mackie mixer and plugged into the input on the front of the M-Audio. No disrespect or snippy attitude intended, but I know the difference between MIDI data and audio signal.

The track is set as an audio track, and I have used every input option offered by RB at least 3 times. (All of them show as M-Audio 1-2, by the way, is BIAB/RB does not give me any choice outside of the correct one. I pushed that input gain so high I thought my headphones were going to burst just to see if it was WEAK signal or NO signal. The answer was NO signal. Yet, I closed BIAB, booted Sonar, and recorded 8 bars of the B that the keyboard was sending. And that was touching nothing but the computer keyboard. Big X to close BIAB, double click to launch Sonar, new file, audio track, default input, beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep... recorded 16 seconds of it. Closed Sonar, loaded BIAB, created new song, track 1, set to audio, input M-Audio 1-2 stereo, nothing. Then input M-Audio 1-2 mono, nothing. Then it was 2am and I went to bed angry. This was after 90 minutes of digging through FAQ which only showed me how to connect stuff, not how to troubleshoot it when it failed.

2. Send it to us.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

You say you are using a "Synth". Then you say "no wave activity".

Simple question - just ignor if not applicable but, are you recording midi or audio?

Audio. I should have seen sine wave on the track and activity on the input VU meter. I was recording HOT too just to see if it was a level issue, so hot that I could not wear my headphones lest I risk hearing damage.

As I said in the next post, this was after 90 minutes of fishing in the FAQ, and it was 2am so I just quit and went to bed angry that software that purports itself to be plug and play is not so. A simple function like recording audio should not require 90 minutes of digging through help files. Plug it in, hit record, and go. There is no troubleshooting help, just "plug A into B" type stuff. Well, when "A into B" doesn't work, we need more.

2. Send it to us.
S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
S
I have had nothing but trouble with the ASIO driver on my M-Audio Fast Track Pro. I don't know if it's the driver or if PG Music's problem, but the ASIO leads to crashes, sometimes giving me the message that my ASIO driver is for MAC.

The simple solution is to switch to MME. Absolutely crash-free. But it still is a nuisance if you wish to run ASIO.

John

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

I have had nothing but trouble with the ASIO driver on my M-Audio Fast Track Pro. I don't know if it's the driver or if PG Music's problem, but the ASIO leads to crashes, sometimes giving me the message that my ASIO driver is for MAC.

The simple solution is to switch to MME. Absolutely crash-free. But it still is a nuisance if you wish to run ASIO.

John

Same here, John. Using MME.

And NEVER say "driver" here. You will get 27 people telling you that you need to upgrade the driver, even though it worked yesterday.... meanwhile sound drivers are generic to a point where if they were ice cream, they would be vanilla.

2. Send it to us.
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

After chatting in another forum, I went to try Real Band.

Quote:

On the next restart, I got an error message and a crash that my ASIO drivers were not correctly installed.

Eddie, this is from your original post. You were talking about recording into Real Band and all of our responses were directed to RB, now you're saying you're trying to record into Biab??

IF you had both RB and Biab open at the same time using ASIO, that will crash one of them and cause all sorts of problems because ASIO is usually only available to one open program at a time. Is that what you did?

And please be very specific which program are you talking about.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Eddie, this is from your original post. You were talking about recording into Real Band and all of our responses were directed to RB, now you're saying you're trying to record into Biab??

IF you had both RB and Biab open at the same time using ASIO, that will crash one of them and cause all sorts of problems because ASIO is usually only available to one open program at a time. Is that what you did?

I only had RealBand open. I then opened a song I had created in BIAB. After having to totally recreate the solo section because RB did not import/load/recognize/translate from the BIAB song, at least those 8 bars worked.

I then went to an empty track, set it as an audio track (I know the difference between audio and MIDI), plugged my Ensoniq ESQ-1 into the #1 input of my M-Audio Fast Track Pro MIDI interface, which is connected via USB, using the same cable with 1/4" plugs that normally plugs it into my Mackie mixer, and taped a key down (specifically a B above middle C) so the keyboard was outputting. I hit record on RB. The song played. However, the VU meters did not show any input.

When that failed I closed all PG products. With that ESQ-1 still playing B above middle C. I loaded Sonar. Created a new file, assigned an audio track, hit record, and Sonar recorded that audio stream, showed me sine waves in the track... all of it. Closed down Sonar. Still not touching hardware AT ALL, I loaded RB again. This time instead of overdub, I created a new song. Set track 1 as audio, input from the only input source I have the option to use, which is M-Audio 1-2 in RB language, and it still will not record live audio.

I tend to consider BIAB and RB as the same product since they both come from the same place. Like BIAB, and then RB being BIAB on steroids.

Please no more driver talk. There is not a problem with any drivers. They work. The driver will not pick and choose which programs it will and won't work with. The driver is a hardware function. If it works in Sonar and Finale is HAS to work with BIAB and RB. If it failed in Sonar then I would accept driver talk. But once again, my interface will not say "I am going to work with Sonar but not you, BIAB or RB.. nyah nyah nyah." That part of the game is black and white, yes or no, on or off. No shades of gray.

I am SO stumped by this.

2. Send it to us.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
It sounds like you've been switching driver types (ASIO to MME) as well as switching programs within the same session. That should work fine, but once a problem occurs, it will likely recur within the same Windows session.

If things are not working, you should reboot Windows, and start up with MME and stick with it.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

...I closed BIAB, booted Sonar,...

So, what does this mean? Just a typo or were you trying to record in Biab? Different protocol for Biab.

Also regardless of what you think, never ever put Biab and RB together and think they're either the same program or first cousins even. They are not. Think of RB like it's Reaper or something else. Just because they grafted some Biab functions into Power Tracks does not make it Biab. When Mercedes bought Chrysler a few years ago did that suddenly make all Chryslers Benz's? Of course not.

Also, even though I understand your feelings perfectly you should post with a bit more humility. Just sayin. When you read these forums and nobody is having this kind of problem, just you, what does that tell you? I've been recording both audio and midi for years and years first with Power Tracks and now RB. There's no problem with the program buddy. Simple as that. You may know computers but you don't know DAW's and/or your M-Audio interface. You may have figured out Sonar but like Mac said every DAW is completely different with their configurations and they all use their own language for it too. Just the way it is.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
<raises hand>
Did you ever try recording with all available input drivers enabled? I know you have said M-Audio 1/2 is your only choice, but since you are running windows I would think that the MS Soundmapper would still show up (unless you specifically uninstalled it which would be difficult) especially when using MME.

So have you tried recording every available port at once just as a test yet? Whether you call them drivers or devices it is an important setup step to find the correct one. Windows has been known to mix/match devices via drivers before. Hence my post about incorrect labeling of drivers(devices) earlier. RB uses the driver to select which input device it is recording.

I'll look back (again) to see if I missed results for this.
/sorry for the 'driver' talk, but in RB drivers point to devices so it is the most relevant solution. Your device is not recording after all.

Last edited by rharv; 08/02/11 01:20 PM.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

So, what does this mean? Just a typo or were trying to record in Biab?

Also regardless of what you think, never ever put Biab and RB together and think they're either the same program or first cousins even. They are not. Think of RB like it's Reaper or something. Just because they grafted some Biab functions into Power Tracks does not make it Biab.

Bob

Part 1, yes typo. I was working totally in Real Band.

Part 2. I was not changing drivers. I was looking at options. I am in MME and have always been.

Part 3. That would mean more if I knew what Reaper is, other than the guy with the scythe who started following me around in June....

I would love to use Real Band exclusively like so many of the more experienced people do. But the advantage of doing so is that I can add live tracks and eliminate the dumping to the Tascam 8 track direct to disc recorder and layering that way. If that doesn't work, then Real Band holds no advantage for me over BIAB and I will just use BIAB. Real Band plays the same celebrity snippets and clips them into an arrangement like BIAB, right? The advantage is that it's a multitrack sequencer that replaces (in my case) Sonar. But if I can't record live input....

2. Send it to us.
Veteran
Veteran
The point is you CAN record live input. Hundreds (probably thousands) of us do it every day.
Look up above and try what I suggested and let me know if anything happens. If not then there is something weird going on. If you record every available input at once and get nothing, RB doesn't recognize your interface (most likely) and that would be really rare for RB, since it is an M-Audio device.

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Part 3. That would mean more if I knew what Reaper is, other than the guy with the scythe who started following me around in June....

Ok, fair enough. Reaper is another highly regarded DAW. I know you're an old pro musician, you're also an old pro computer tech but you're a total noob when it comes to DAW's. Just post accordingly, that's all.
Rharv is our resident expert in RB. Follow his instructions exactly and don't harass the teacher. You're in school now.

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

No disrespect or snippy attitude intended, but I know the difference between MIDI data and audio signal.

Hi, Eddie -

No disrespect received; however, I don't know what you know and can only visualize your setup, so I'm just trying to help.

And don't dismiss drivers necessarily. I had a problem once where everything worked great in BIAB but not in (at the time PowerTracks, since this was pre-RealBand). It just didn't make sense to me...I was doing essentially the same thing in both, but it didn't work. And no one else on the forum could duplicate the problem. Turned out, after contacting the device manufacturer, that it was in fact the driver and with the help of both PGMusic and myself pressing for a fix, the manufacturer finally provided the fix. Everyone else on the forum was not having the problem and couldn't understand why I did. Once I updated the new driver, everything worked properly.

Even with my M-Audio Fast Track Pro, I had to make sure I used the driver from the web site, not the one that came on the CD in order for it to work properly with Windows 7 64-bit. Once I did that, everything fell into place.

There are many of us on the forum that use an M-Audio interface successfully, so there must be a problem somewhere. So it's either a matter of figuring out where the problem is, or just writing it off and not using the product. That's your decision; however, RealBand does a lot of neat things that you just can't do with BIAB (or even another Digital Audio Workstation - DAW).

And Reaper is just the name of another company's DAW offering, just like Sonar, Cubase, Tracktion, and others are. I guess it's one you're not familiar with, but there was a time I didn't know what Sonar was (I thought it was what submarines used to find target ships), but I did know what Cakewalk was. We just live and learn everyday.

I can say this - lots of folks are trying to help you here, but that help will start dropping off quickly if you keep cussing out the folks giving that help.

No one's questioning your abilities, but we're just trying to get to the bottom of the problem. I've helped longtimers who can run rings around me and they have helped me. That's why we hang out here. RHarv and I spent a lot of time working with one guy to ultimately find out he had a bad motherboard. Here's a secret - (Shhhhh!!) IT happens!!!

But it's up to you. We can either help you figure out why it's not working on your computer or you decide not to use RealBand.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
I was trying to be nice ..

Comparing Sonar to Realband is like comparing WinMovieMaker to Adobe Premier. They are different. RB needs more attention to set up, but once done it is well worth the effort.

If you record ALL available drivers (and hence devices) you will know if RB is seeing anything at all.

At least *try* recording with all devices enabled as described earlier in the thread. If you get an error it may point to the source of the problem. If it records on a track that seems wrong, it may be an RB or Windows labeling issue.. Point is that this test eliminates a lot of possibilities.
Again-
open RB fresh
make sure the checkbox for L,R or L&R is set to 'L&R' in the "Options-Preferences-Audio tab" area
Click the Drivers button and select every available driver (device) by highliting them all
go back to RB Tracks window and select a blank stereo audio track

and then try to record.
If RB sees nothing on any of the resulting tracks, there is a different issue. This will answer a lot of questions really quickly. You *should* see multiple tracks (one for each for each driver selected) after 'keep take' dialogue.

If you go to "Options-Preferences-Audio tab-drivers" and see more than one instance listed for M-Audio 1/2 then it's possible multiple drivers are installed and causing problems. If you see only that input and nothing else listed I'd say the drivers are wrong for your device (even if they work in Sonar).

Last edited by rharv; 08/02/11 02:17 PM.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

The point is you CAN record live input. Hundreds (probably thousands) of us do it every day.
Look up above and try what I suggested and let me know if anything happens. If not then there is something weird going on. If you record every available input at once and get nothing, RB doesn't recognize your interface (most likely) and that would be really rare for RB, since it is an M-Audio device.

Okay you are losing me with "try all inputs". I assume what you are calling an input is what RB is calling a port. When I assign the track, every input is the same input.

Selection screen here

That is what I am plugged in to. Port 1 on my interface. I don't know where else you mean that I can change anything.

While recording - note VU meters are dead

Keeping take

Track shows data

Playing back - note VU meters are dead

I have no clue.

2. Send it to us.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,607
Posts735,028
Members38,514
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon, Xtian, michael07716
38,513 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186