Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12626 01/31/09 07:47 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi - just a quick one - I've loaded up lots of songs and I've noticed the chord C5 (or G5 or whatever) cropping up. I don't know what this means and how it affects Biab's interpretation, can anyone explain?

Thanks!

PS. Having a great time with biab/rb - learning loads about music and chord progressions, learning blues piano riffs, it's all GOOD!!!!

Veteran
Veteran
It's a "power chord" with no third, just the root and the fifth.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks Matt.

Expert
Expert

And since it has no third, power chords are neither major or minor (sort of like suspended chords).

Think Pete Townshend.

PS: My favorite sounding guitar chord is this G5: 3x0033

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks FirstBassman - what do you mean "3x0033"? (I'm a pianist and don't play guitar very often) is this a neck positioning?

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
That's a quick sort of TAB notation, Mel, in which the numbers represent frets on the guitar, the X's indicate a muted string.

Notewise, the 3X0033 represent the G two octaves below middle C, the D above it and the G below middle C, with the D above middle C and then the G above middle C, making one big giant G5 that has three G's and two D's in it.

Working with both guitar and keyboard as well as trumpet has given me a lot of insight into chord voicings. Being able to voice chords that typically only guitarists might play opens up a lot of things to do with the lefthand piano comping that might not be so obvious when dealing with "just" the keyboard patterns.

--Mac

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks Mac. that's very useful and food for thought too...

Expert
Expert
Sorry, Mel.

I assumed you (and others) would know what I typed meant.
Mac did a great job explaining.

As Mac alluded to, chord voicings is an advancement (to me anyway) in the development of a person’s guitar playing.

A fretted instrument like guitar allows a person to play a chord in many different ways. There are the common ideas of inversions, also open chords, barre chords and different voicings at different positions on the neck.

Since I am not a good player at all (about a ‘2’ on a 1-to-4 scale) I have had to find many “shortcuts” and “tricks” to get things done.

So, the 3x0033 translates to notes in this order (from low to high): G-D-G-D-G.
I play it with my thumb wrapped around the top of the neck holding down the G note and touching the A string in order to mute it.

PS: Though I did come across this chord by myself, it is also the main chord used in GE Smith’s version of Steve Earle’s “I Ain’t Ever Satisfied.”

- Mark

D
D
The output from BB to my computer is output from computer line out in mono - can't get stereo. I find this also applies to playing wave or MP3 files via the computer. The soundcard itself must generate stereo since a test program of soundcard effects has a stereo test and this comes over correctly.
Dave

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Dave. Welcome to the forum. Your question is not related to this thread, so to get better attention, may I suggest you start a new thread? If you can tell us more detail about your soundcard, and how and where and to what you are trying to connect it, that will help.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks Mark for filling me in on the guitar tab

D
D
Sorry about my mistake, new to this - please how do I start a new thread?
Thanks
Dave

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi Dave, go back up a level till your screen looks like this:

http://www.melaniemaguire.com/bigstuff002.jpg

then hit the post button (top right)

hope my screen capture worked...

H
Apprentice
Apprentice
H
You should play power (5th) chords on a heavily distorted guitar. Use all downstrokes because they're more menacing. (Advice from James Hetfield).

Like the man said, "ain't that a kick in the head!"
Expert
Expert
Quote:

You should play power (5th) chords on a heavily distorted guitar. Use all downstrokes because they're more menacing. (Advice from James Hetfield).

Yes, exactly.
That's where they've gained most of their prominence. With heavy distortion, a guitar chord loses a lot of its major-or-minor aspects and other tonal qualities and is brought down to its sheer essence.
So, with Heavy Metal bands, for example, the 1-5 power chord is all that's needed to play and drive the song along.

As I alluded to earlier, Pete Townshend is thought of as the "father of the power chord." Many of his guitar riffs for The Who were basic C5 type of things. And also a lot of suspended chords.

But don't be fooled. (No pun intended.) Pete was (is) very inventive in the types and ways that he used those chords.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Most times we think of the Power Chord as having the Root on the bottom.

In G, then: 35xxxx

There's another one that has a more modern sound, which puts the 5th on the bottom:

Same key, G: x55xxx

Assume that the bass will be playing the root.

One can also do some fast powerchord changes with this one, as it is just a one-finger barre of two strings. Don't overlook the A string as bottom string for motion in 4ths. If the G is as above, then the IV chord, the C, would be: x55xxx

This one also has a lot of use in blues rhythm guitar work for certain songs, too. While still a Power Chord, it has a "lighter" sound to it.

--Mac

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
With no third, power chords are great for modal music. In traditional Irish music acoustic guitarists use them a lot. A real popular shape is 079900. It is used with tunes in Em. Start on 079900 then slide the shape to 057700, to 035500, to 024400 and end on Em 022000. You can use these in many combinations the low E gives the drone modal sound. They sound real good picked as well as strummed. There are many acoustic guitarists here who base there style on a complex system of power chords.
Derm

Expert
Expert
Quote:

A real popular shape is 079900. It is used with tunes in Em. Start on 079900 then slide the shape to 057700. Derm

The slide (back and forth) between x799xx and x599xx is the basic riff of JJ Cale's "Cocaine."

Quote:

There are many acoustic guitarists here who base there style on a complex system of power chords.

That's an interesting phrase ... "a complex system of power chords." Can you give any examples, Derm?
Thanks.

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
The chords I posted yesterday are not played in that sequence only . They are used to accompany tunes in E Dorian mode. In the posted sequence the chords represent Em,D,C,Bm. The low E drone is similar to the drone of pipes . There are many more chords + bass & melody fills. There are similar chords for A Dorian, x,0,7,9,10,0. A large number of the minor tunes in Irish trad are in E or A dorian with a range of about one and a half octaves. There are no set chords for the tunes, you just got to invent. I will try to put up some examples in Off Topic later.
Derm

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi there, great info about c5. I'm not really familiar with rock music, so come across it in early blues/spiritual forms where the blue third is somewhere between e natural and e flat - both major and minor sound "wrong" and the third is suppressed on fixed tuning instruments like the piano. In slide guitar open tunings (eg open G) the third is only played with the slide, which can vary the pitch into the elusive blue third.

Now here's my problem: I would like a c57 - i.e. I want to keep a dominant seventh in there - 1,5,b7. eg C,G,Bb. biab isn't recognising it as a valid chord.

Any ideas how to get a 1,5,b7 chord in biab?

Thanks very much for the help and fascinating musical knowledge..

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,531
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200