Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Off-Topic
GDaddy Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
The Gibson plant in Nashville was raided in November 2009 for possible violations of the Lacey Act, a federal environmental law that prohibits importing endangered species. Federal agents seized materials, files and computers from the Nashville plant on allegations that a rare endangered ebony wood from Madagascar was illegally used at the factory. No charges were ever filed.

This time it was the Memphis Plant...nice guitars "through the glass darkly"!!

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/aug/24/federal-agents-search-gibson-guitar-factory-memphi/

Ever since I bought that first "L-5" from the Gibson Rep in Chicago, Circa 1958... I've wanted to tour that place!!

Exotics or not they delayed the tourist for a while...again!

Yamaha...Motif ES-8, Motif Rack, CS6X
Korg...Karma,Triton Classic, PA-80, M-1+
AkaiSampler-S5000, Roland.. X5080 Rack/G-1000 Arranger
Various Guitars/Basses Amps Pedals Rec.Equip.

Plus, BIAB 2015 and Sonar Platinum 2015 Upgrade from Cakewalk's Sonar X-3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Goodness gracious!! Don't the Feds have anything better to do than harass one of the oldest American companies?

Of course not.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
And then in the next breath, let's hear them criticize businesses who leave for foreign shores. I bet none of them have ever had to play a Japanese Telecaster or a Mexican Strat....

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I am interested to hear the outcome of this. I am not yet to cynical to believe that the Feds would raid the company without pretty good indication that something illegal was going on. We all have to play by the rules. And while I am pro-american work, I do have a Mexican Stat (due to the lower cost) which plays very nice.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The imported instruments coming in to the US now are FAR superior to what they were in the past and are a great bang for the buck. But they generally don’t hold a candle to their American counterparts, especially in terms of hardware, finish and playability.

Companies like Gibson, Martin and Fender are a part of America’s musical history. To harass them is unconscienable! If there’s problems with some of the woods they’re using, the Feds, (sic – aghhh – petewy), should meet with them and figure out alternatives. Not try to shut them down!

As usual, the Feds are idiots who are more concerned with international law than they are about preserving American companies and jobs, …… not to mention our musical heritage.

It’s no wonder so many folks are turning on the Feds. But it’s definitely more PC and EC to take jobs from Americans and wipe out companies who’ve been around almost as long as the US in order to appease international pressure. It makes us look good at the UN.

Off-Topic
GDaddy Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Golly...
Am I too old to join the Fish & Wildlife Agency...

I'm all for fishing, hunting and raiding Gibson Guitar Emporiums....

Yamaha...Motif ES-8, Motif Rack, CS6X
Korg...Karma,Triton Classic, PA-80, M-1+
AkaiSampler-S5000, Roland.. X5080 Rack/G-1000 Arranger
Various Guitars/Basses Amps Pedals Rec.Equip.

Plus, BIAB 2015 and Sonar Platinum 2015 Upgrade from Cakewalk's Sonar X-3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I'm all for fishing, hunting and raiding Gibson Guitar Emporiums....

Fishing … count me in, let’s go catch something and cook it up! Hunting, … you go kill it and clean it, then I’ll cook it and we’ll both eat! (shucks, ...... I'll even do the dishes!)

“raiding Gibson Guitar Emporiums”, …… this part I didn’t get. (Unless of course you meant it would be nice to be able to go in and pick out what you want).

Last edited by bobcflatpicker; 08/24/11 06:11 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"Put your hands up and step away from the table saw!" Your Imperial Federal Government at work, under the control of an anti-capitalist administration.

Maybe laws concerning rare and/or endangered resources are a good thing, but this could--and should--have been handled a lot differently.

Richard

Note: Edited to remove deliberately inflammatory phraseology. I can always put it back in later.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hopefully this is nothing to fret about, and they will get over the bridge. They need to use their head and stay in tune with the world. I just really hope the see the keys to success and not string up along.

And it's late and I am out of puns.... maybe I can pickup in the morning....

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Okay, ……, I’m gonna use tongue PARTIALLY in cheek for this comment.

Quote:

Maybe laws concerning rare and/or endangered resources are a good thing

I can’t think of a better way to “preserve” exotic woods than to put them in a fine handcrafted instrument.

(Now, ……, taking the tongue out of the cheek). Considering that many, (or most), of these trees are burned to the ground to make room for corn, potatoes, soybeans or livestock, ………, instead of WASTING them by burning them, cut them and pay the locals, so the woods can at least be used in a respectful manner.

So if the choice is between having a tree be a pile of ashes on the forest floor, or fretboards for a 1,000 Gibson L-5’s, ……, let’s see, ….., let me think about it, ……, I’ll take 1,000 L-5’s!

Shucks, ……, just give me one L-5 over a pile of ashes.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Fishing … count me in, let’s go catch something and cook it up! Hunting, … you go kill it and clean it, then I’ll cook it and we’ll both eat! (shucks, ...... I'll even do the dishes!)

I have some great Madagascar ebony that burns great for a barbecue...

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Maybe laws concerning rare and/or endangered resources are a good thing, but this could--and should--have been handled a lot differently.

The endangered species I am more worried about is the musicians who play original music......

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Perhaps the Feds were looking for an "axe" wielding employee................

Cheers,
Keith
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
A police raid, in the US, is not a conviction.

It takes the court of law and time to sort that out.

And I'm fairly certain that Gibson has already retained rather substantial talent.

The kind of legal beagles who pronounce the word, "contest" with the accent on the last syllable...

Remeber, it ain't over 'til its over.

Innocent until proven guilty, not guilty by accusation.

Speaking of fishing expediions...

--Mac

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I'm sure Gibson will make another goofy signature model named after this.
The Gibson Raid, little handcuff tuning keys and Miranda rights inlayed on the fretboard.

You have the right to play with a pick.
Anything you play or can't play will be held against you in a club or bar.
You have the right to speak to a roady.
If you cannot afford a roady, one will be paroled for you.
Do you understand these lyrics as they have been sung to you?

Last edited by redguitars; 08/25/11 09:14 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

You have the right to play with a pick.
Anything you play or can't play will be held against you in a club or bar.
You have the right to speak to a roady.
If you cannot afford a roady, one will be paroled for you.
Do you understand these lyrics as they have been sung to you?

And those would be the Carmen Miranda rights?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Fishing … count me in, let’s go catch something and cook it up!
I have some great Madagascar ebony that burns great

Did I smoke that? Probably.

Your Nanny state(s) are catching up or passing us here in the frozen wastelands.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Ok, I hate doing this since I'm somewhat to the right of Attilla the Hun but still, illegal importation of exotic hardwoods is a huge problem worldwide. It boils down to are there illegal hardwoods in that factory or not? If there are then what's the defense? Is it the good ol "Gee officer I have no idea how that cocaine got under my seat, honest!". Or is it "The manifest says it was this kind of wood when it's actually that kind of wood and how were we supposed to know?". Right. Trust me, the exec's at Gibson are experts in those woods, they know what is what. The only real defense is the feds are wrong, those woods are in fact legal and I hope that's the case.

I'm definitely on the side of preserving American jobs and all that but what are you guys suggesting here? That the feds look the other way because it's Gibson? What about another boutique guitar maker up the street that competes with Gibson who is stuck using legal hardwoods that are not as nice as that killer illegal Brazilian Rosewood, or Indonesian Ebony or whatever it is? Those guys can't compete and wind up going out of business because the Gibsons are nicer with better wood. What about those jobs?

Same principle with illegal immigration. They're either here legally or they're not. It's totally unfair to all the hundreds of thousands of people worldwide who spent the money and went through all the crap to get their legal green cards to then see all the illegals get some kind of amnesty? What a slap that would be.

It's not fair to the legal immigrants and it's not fair to Gibson's competitors if it proves to be true.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Well, again the caution is to try real hard not to jump to any conclusions.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
From a Gibson press release dated 08/25/2011:

Quote:

“The Federal Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. has suggested that the use of wood from India that is not finished by Indian workers is illegal, not because of U.S. law, but because it is the Justice Department’s interpretation of a law in India. (If the same wood from the same tree was finished by Indian workers, the material would be legal.) This action was taken without the support and consent of the government in India.”

This has the ring of truth to it. The Justice Department under Obama is proving itself to be an instrument of political correctness rather than of law, notably by their unwillingness to enforce laws which inhibit the enemies of this country. Left-leaning members of the judiciary increasingly refer to foreign law for precedents, which is an affront to U.S. sovereignty. The administration walks and squawks like a duck that is inimical to the capitalist free enterprise system.

I am neutral on the subject of corporations, believing that they are not inherently good or evil except as they are made so by the men of which they are composed. I so far haven't heard a lot of good about Gibson's CEO. If Gibson is guilty of wrongdoing then there should be consequences. The same should be true if the government misbehaves. I am extremely wary of this administration as regards American institutions.

Whatever the outcome, I hope it reflects a basis in American law rather than of political vendetta.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195