Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I think a wish list is that the RT data is also recorded as "MIDI" or accessible in the same way that other tracks are. After all, if you can see the notes in the window, it would help to have the data, even if the actual RT track can't be manipulated. For example, I could take those notes and double the notes using some other instrument and triggered via MIDI.

RB is a DAW and it's easy to confuse RB with RT and then not be sure what is what. They probably should change the name of RB to something else, IMHO.

You're getting it Hink. That's a close enough explanation of how the RT's work. As for the midi part, the midi data is there you just have to jump through a hoop to use it. These RT's had to be manually transcribed the old fashioned way from the original audio files in order to create the notation because the program has to get the notation from midi data. But, it's note data only no program change for an instrument, volume or velocity data. If there were velocity data then the program would play it along with the RT and that would cause mass conflicts. So, you have to take the midi data and play with it a little bit in order to hear it but people do it all the time. I can't tell you exactly how that works because I have no interest in that and haven't done it.

As for the names of this stuff, I think the only reason it's confusing is because we all love to use abbreviations because we're internet geeks . RB instead of the full name Real Band. If we used Real Band and Real Tracks all the time instead of RB and RT, no confusion. And don't forget the Real Drums or commonly known around here as RD. So now you have RB, RT and RD. What's the problem with that, you can't read? Jeesh

Here's an experiment I want you to try. Take a favorite midi file and open it in RB, not Biab, RB. We don't know what you're using for synths but figure out how to assign different synths to the tracks or if you have one good one then just use one synth for all the tracks. Hit "edit" to the left of each track and assign some plugin's for effects. Play around with that stuff a little. Now, go into the chord grid and correct the chords because RB will analyze any midi file and give you what it thinks the chords are. It's usually fairly accurate but it won't be perfect because of the instrumentation on some midi files. Note, chord info is not part of the midi standard, this is a bonus you get with both Biab and RB. Anyway, put A and B part markers where you want drum fills on the chord grid. Then go to an empty track and generate a Real Drum part using a style that's compatible with your song. Then go to another empty track and generate another RD part using a different style, then do it again for a third style. Doing this you can stack, layer or cut and paste parts from all those RD tracks and come up with a killer drum track plus you still have your original midi drum track too. You can't do that in Biab. If you have a good midi synth, the midi drums will blend in pretty well with the RD's. I use Jamstix for this. A basic midi drum kit part layered with a couple of latin percussion RD's really sounds great with some songs I've got. The reason for keeping the original midi drum part is it usually has those song specific fills and punches that the RD's won't have so I will use those punches and fills only layered with the RD tracks. All this can get tedious but you can really create a studio quality drum track with some effort.

Since drums are one of the most difficult things to create in a midi file and make them sound good, the RD's were the first Real Tracks PG came up with and they caused a sensation around here. Just that, a RD track in an otherwise mediocre midi file can transform it. Just play around with various RD tracks in RB for now, you'll see what I mean.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Hi hink,

Welcome to the fun!

The one thing about Band in a Box that no other music making program I know emulates is that BiaB is much more like picking up a musical instrument that is new to you than any of the rest of the programs.

If you view the program in that fashion, then all the same caveats apply. A person brand new to a brand new guitar is not going to be very likely to sit down and rip off "Giant Steps" on their new flattop guitar, but they may indeed be able to memorize three basic open string chord patterns and strum along to accompany the singing of a simple song. As they practice daily, perhaps take some lessons or at least study using printed materials and the internet, of course their ability with the instrument should improve.

Band in a Box is an instrument.

When first confronted by the program, the ease with which one can get something up and running belies the fact that it will take some time exploring and experimenting with the program to become someone who can bring the best out of it.

Don't get in a hurry and don't get discouraged.

One of the best things a new user can do is to open up the Stylepicker, pick any style that interests you at the time, for whatever reason -- and use the Play Demo Song button to load the pgmusic supplied Demo songfile for that Style into the main chord grid and then watch BiaB perform while listening to the song. A very good way to see how things like Shots, Holds, Rests, Fills, Repeats, First and Second Endings, Choruses vs "One Long Song" (durchcomponiert), and many other things are implemented.

And always keep the sessions short enough that you can enjoy Peter Gannon's infamous BiaB motto:

Have Fun,

--Mac

H
hink Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Oh no!!! My rather long post to you all somehow didn't make it here despite it seeming like it did with a confirm page. I'll respond yet again later - thanks much to all of you for GREAT suggestions.

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Oh no!!! My rather long post to you all somehow didn't make it here despite it seeming like it did with a confirm page. ....

I hate when that happens!

Veteran
Veteran
I notice it getting long, I highlite and copy it just in case ... been there myself.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Bob that sounds a bit like a personal problem!

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
H
hink Offline OP
OP Offline
H
OK... this forum does not work as well as others in my experience. I have no idea why it doesn't refresh and show you the post instead of have a "you posted successfully!" page, which is eventually followed by a "NOT!"

What I was saying was that I've heard all sorts of sampled rhythm guitar and it seems that nothing approaches the realism of RealTracks, at least IMHO. There are some great loops but that is all they are. RealTracks is far more than a loop and provides the slight variations and subtleties that one might expect in a real player. No, it's not perfect and there are times that I want to use it exactly as some of you suggested -- muting out the autogenerated track and replacing it with my own, e.g. a specific fill for four bars that may go to a cappella.

I was originally told that you cannot access any MIDI from any Real Tracks because they aren't MIDI - even though there are charts. I said I didn't understand this at all since the data seemed to be there. I guess there is a convoluted way - but it is useful (even though I know I can't edit the Real Tracks as if it were MIDI.)

Anyways... I thank you guys so much for helping me understanding how to approach BIAB and RB. It seems like the perfect tool for musicians to do "rapid development" and then fine tailor the parts to your need after generating what you need. Much in mastering will be in the approach. All these great tips so very welcome.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

I was originally told that you cannot access any MIDI from any Real Tracks because they aren't MIDI - even though there are charts. I said I didn't understand this at all since the data seemed to be there. I guess there is a convoluted way - but it is useful (even though I know I can't edit the Real Tracks as if it were MIDI.)

The MIDI note data found along with RealTracks that are underscored in their trackname to indicate that notation is available, was placed there merely for the notation ability. The Velocities and Durations may be quite a bit off from what the actual RealTrack plays because all that is needed or originally intended are those notes on the staff. This was really done so that players could read along and play along with the RealTrack players, as in a practicing aid.

While it may be possible to load the MIDI created for RealTracks into a sequencer and assign a Patch to the thing, be careful there, it may not sound like the original RealTrack does. Might, might not. Might work as you suggested above, as a source of Note On data for layering along with a RealTrack for an interesting sound occasionally, but that is the type of thing that I would place under the "specialty" heading, meaning I don't think that it is someting that one should do very often but reserve for special occasions as an effect.

--Mac

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,509
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195