Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RealBand
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
I set it up as the manual says, and so far it works. it is different from what i am used to. When i use my M audio card i can chose from stereo or mono tracks and i get the sound in both sides of my head phones, with either one. This is because the M-Audio 24/96 card uses delta 1/2 for it's default input. I have to split them to get separate tracks, and i never have really done that.

With the Tascam 800, i seem to always get a mono signal that comes out of one side of the headphone. I can't seem to get RB to record on two separate tracks. I set two up for recording, but all i get is both signals on one track one in the let and the other on the right half.

Now i tried it in four other DAW packages, and go varied results, as follows:

1. Sonar, can't record as Tascam is grayed out.

2. Cakewalk MC5 sees the Tascam properly, but did not want to allow the tracks to inputed properly

3. Multitrackstudio, opens and automatically assigns the inputs to each track in order, but seems to be a bit shakey using the Tascam, and the timeline display is jittery. Also it crackles a bit on playback. I need to experiment with buffering settings.

4. Reaper can be setup to receive input from what ever input i want, and i can record and playback nicely.

I am so comfortable with my M-Audio 24/96 card i am thinking of just continuing with it, unless i need to breakout the Tascam if friends come over to record.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
To make RB record a stereo signal to two mono tracks..
In audio options set the box for 'Mono input' to L&R

Set track to mono audio track and record. Afterwards RB should ask if you want to put the take on next available track. Then you pan the recorded tracks however you like.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
That is cool, but what i want it to do is to see all 6 inputs and record them each to a separate track.

What i am getting is that when i plug my guitar into input 1 and mike into input 2 they come out on one track as track 1 left and track 1 right.

RB shows only a gazzilion of the same tracks in the drop down input on each track it just says Tascam US 800 1L/2R over and over on every track. Reaper shows Tascam US 800 1/2 3/4 5/6

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Set the track to be a mono track before recording. RB will intelligently put them on separate mono tracks for you, using the next available blank track. It sounds to me like you are recording to a stereo track.

You don't use the dropdown to enable inputs, you use the audio drivers section to enable inputs to be used. The dropdown you are looking at is for playback port I believe. If you have more than one playback port enabled (again in audio drivers, but on output side) you'll see more selection in that list.

RealBand
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
OIC, cool i will investigate!

RealBand
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Okay i got it working Bob, and i was able to attach my TC helicon unit through S/PDIF, now i have vocals on inputs 7/8, freeing up 1-2-3-4-5-6 for guitars and other stuff. I am going to really like this thing once i get the hang of it.

My only gripe so far is the difference between stereo and mono tracks.

On my M-Audio card i could choose either stereo, or mono, and i go either stereo or mono. On the Tascam if i chose stereo, i get two separate tracks. Actually it does not matter on guitars, basses, and vocals. Only on midi synth tracks.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Personally this adds control I like; having a stereo track as two separate monos doesn't bother me. Exact positioning in stereo field is nice.
Glad you got it working.

RealBand
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Rharv, i suspect that whatever track i choose to be at the top of the list, it will add the inputs in after that one. For instance, if I have things already recorded on track 1, 2, 3, and I open up tracks 4,5,6,7 and highlight them all using Ctrl (4 is red, and 5,6,7 are yellow), then RB will assign input 1,2,3,4 to those right?

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
No.
In your example just select track 4 to record on, make it a mono track, and record.

If you have all the inputs selected in the drivers area RB will do the rest for you automagically. It stacks each one on the next available blank track. You don't need to make any yellow tracks and it won't help if you do. If you want them in a different order you have to move them around afterwards.

RealBand
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Awesome, i really appreciate the information. I had heard bad things about Tascams for a long time, but so far this little guy works well.

RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Rob, are you using the mixer applet from Tascam? There are buttons to link the channels together there, without any interaction from any DAW software. I think it's called 'panner.exe'.

RealBand
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Yeah i saw that as well. I really over use stereo tracks, where they are not necessary. I am really learning this a little at a time. What i am doing so far is continuing to setup RB on my M-Audio Card, since i use that card to play my live music. as i find it easier to get a solid live mix thru my Yamaha mixer.

It seems that with the Tascam, I am fighting way to many volume faders and knobs and getting a balanced mix is tough. With the M-Audio 24/96 card i just ahve to adjust the mixer.

I have Sonar X1, reaper 4.10, and Multitrackstudio all setup with the Tascam for multitrack recording and mixing. I still use Rb and BiaZB for basic track beds, then drag over to finish.

I also know i can finish in RB, but right now it is easier the otherway, plus i keep RB setup for live work., until i get a new lappy topper!

RealBand
S
S
If I may ask - how do you like your Tascam US-800? Right now they are on sale. The next cheapest are the Presonus, which seems a bit low in the value side as it's only 2 in/out with no SPDIF. I bought Reaper and it seemed that this Tascam is a great buy for 8 ins/outs with a SPDIF. Just hard to tell as to the audio quality and the drivers for Windows 7 64-bit. Some early complaints but people generally seem to be happy. Hard to get straight answers from actual owners though.

RealBand
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Slink, i have not really done that much with it so far, but I will say what i have done has been good. I have XP though and the drivers are great for that OS. I will say it loaded fine and the sound is good thru it.

RealBand
Journeyman
Journeyman
hey Rob - I've not been on these forums in a while and I had no idea you had bought one of the us-800s. unfortunately tascam's drivers are hit and miss, at least with sonar.

which driver mode are you using? I would recommend ASIO, not sure if WDM works correctly.

RealBand
Journeyman
Journeyman
well, I just went and tried RB with my MOTU and I could not get it to let me assign anything other than the first 1/2 inputs, regardless of ASIO or MME and regardless of how many inputs I selected in the AUDIO settings.

is RB only 2 inputs?

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Works fine with M-Audio.

Options-preferences-audio tab-drivers button
enable the in and out ports you desire by highliting them.

Assign outputs by right-clicking a track and selecting an available output port.

When recording you do not assign ports except to enable them as described above. Hitting record with multiple inputs selected (in options area) automatically puts each input on its own track; either in pairs (if a stereo track is selected) or individually if mono track is selected. You will not see any results until you actually attempt to record and then keep take. You also can not select the desired input except to enable it as described above.

RealBand
Journeyman
Journeyman
yep, I did that with the MOTU. I enabled all inputs by highlighting them and then when I right click on the track all ports are the same - the first one only.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
When you right-click a track and select a port that is for playback. That selection is not for input.
Try recording with them all enabled; you'll get all the tracks recorded. Don't even need to record anything to prove it. Just hit the dang recording button and keep take. You'll see it happen.
To make it easy to see, highlite a track to record on that has a bunch of empty tracks below it. Input one will go to the first track (so will input 2 if a stereo track is recorded to)
Then each input (from top to bottom in the drivers list) will go the next available blank track.

RealBand
Journeyman
Journeyman
oh, cool. thanks I'll try that.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,529
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200