Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#130643 - 10/08/11 08:40 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Medical Update on Ray Thigpen [Re: manning11]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Ray, if you're about to see an oncologist for the first time, this must be a very recent development. Can you tell us what symptoms sent you to the doctors in the first place? Shortness of breath? Fatigue? What would you encourage others to look for to catch something like this as quickly as possible?

#130644 - 10/09/11 10:53 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Medical Update on Ray Thigpen [Re: Pat Marr]
Loc: Georgia
RayThigpen Offline
Expert

Loc: Georgia
What a comfort and blessing each of you have been in your postings. So many survivors. We're gonna beat this thing. With your prayers, we're going to beat this, and I WILL SING AGAIN. Please cheer me from time to time. You all are and have been a second family to me for several years now. Feel free to email me anytime.

Pat Marr to answer your question, I was a smoker for 46 years (3 packs a day mostly). Diagnosed in 2009 with pulmonary fibrosis and pulmonary hypertension. Been under care of Pulmonologist since. In early September started noticing that I was more short of breath than usual. I generally wear oxygen when out shopping, but suddenly realized I needed it all the time at a setting of 3 liters per minute. I use a CPAP at night when I sleep and always have oxy flowing. Went to my family doc, he treated me with TAMIFLU for flu-like symptoms, tired, no appetite, feeling so bad and running low grade fever. After 5 days on the TAMIFLU, went to my pulmonologist to check me out ---- he gave me antibiotics CIPRO, TUSSENEX cough syrup, Mucinex, and started me with Albuterol treatments with my nebulizer. Had a chest x-ray (first one in two years since I was diagnosed with lung problems) and the x-ray came out totally WHITE. Two days later felt so bad, called ambulance at 10pm and went to local ER. They contacted my Pulmonologist and realized they should do a CT SCAN. The result in one hour was: "appears to be a worrisome mass, possibly malignant on the left lung."

I was immediately transferred to Northside Hospital in Atlanta GA and my case was taken by a Thoracic Surgeon. My left lung collapsed 2nd day I was there and the head nurse grabbed my bed and started running down the hall with me to ICU. They flooded me with oxygen. I was on 25 Liters Per minute (the equivalent of a car tire blowout on impact, and with 100% saturation. Blood pressure dropped well below 100 and pulse was over 130. Basically, I was leaving here. Soon my vitals returned to somewhat normal status but the oxygen was coming so hard and fast it felt like I could hear the roar of a WATERFALL in my head and ears. It was deafening!

A few days later, they figured out I had blown a blood clot in my left and right lung (which is why so much oxygen was needed), they put me on high doeses of Heparin to dissolve blood clot(s) and then put in a filter in my abdomen blood line to keep any new clots from coming up from my legs to enter my chest cavity, lungs, heart or possibly even the brain. Which would have been instant death.

They put in a pick line to make blood draws and medications easier to administer. They drew fluid off my lungs first time equivalent to 2 quarts. 2 days later they got 2.5 quarts. Then 2 days later they got little over 1 quart and then it got to where draining the lung was useless as they only got a few tablespoons. That was a very good thing. I was totally in bed most of the time except for sitting up a couple hours most days. Medications and vital signs taken all hours of day and night. I was in ICU for 10
days and they let me wife stay with me in the ICU room. Gave her a bed to sleep on, fed her 3 times a day. She needs knee replacements and cannot mobilize through hospital. But when she had to they used a wheelchair for her; they brought her snacks, ice, bed covers, pillows, cokes. They treated her as good as if not better than me. I had the best nurses and chaplains anyone could ever hope for and a doctor that pulled no punches. He told it like it was and I appreciated that!! He is a very good doctor and I have high regard for him. He refused to call me RAY, he insisted on Mr. Thigpen.

My arms are black and blue and look horrible. I lost 6 pounds while in the hospital. I go to see my Oncologist for first time tomorrow. Home Health Nurse has made her first visit and I take a lot of medicines. Most of which I was taking before hospitalization. I have to do an injection in my belly twice a day for fighting the blood clots. I'm on Coumadin, Prednisone, and they gave me liberal PERCOSET for pain which I have little to no pain and the Percoset causes such horrible dreams. Scares me that I'm taking PERCOSET cause that is OXYCODONE. But thank the Lord it is real cheap in prescription form and on the streets it's quite expensive. So I'll buy mine through the pharmacy.

I'm sleeping fairly well at night. Anxious to get this lung drain plug out and wish I could get a SHOWER!!!! Oh gosh I've never wanted a shower so much in all my life. This sponge bathing is for the birds!!!!!!! LOL

I'm in good spirits and postings like all of you made sure made my day today. We ARE going to beat this thing! I have cancer but it ain't got me!!!!!!!

Love to you all. Please keep prayers going. I thank you for them!!!!! Blessings to ALL!!!!!

Edited by RayThigpen (10/09/11 10:54 AM)

#130645 - 10/09/11 11:00 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Medical Update on Ray Thigpen [Re: Pat Marr]
Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
filkertom Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
[big damn manly hugs] All the best, Ray, to you and your family. Keep us posted, and, YES -- you will sing again, and we'll be there to share 'em.
Win10/64 • i5-3570K • 16 GB RAM
Audiophile 192 • BIAB 2019 • Reaper 5.964
AKG C1000S • Behringer Xynex1002

#130646 - 10/09/11 11:21 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Medical Update on Ray Thigpen [Re: filkertom]
Loc: Hibbing, MN
multitracker Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Hibbing, MN
Thanks for updating us Ray. Thoughts and prayers continue here. You have a great attitude, and that will go a long way towards winning the battle. And of course you can see from all the posts that you have a lot of heartfelt support from your forum friends. Keep up the good fight Ray.

Terry

#130647 - 10/09/11 12:15 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Medical Update on Ray Thigpen [Re: manning11]
Loc: Arizona
toucher Offline
Expert

Loc: Arizona
Ray you are an inspiration to many, We are praying for God's blessings and healing.

Rob

http://www.reverbnation.com/roberttrippmusic

#130648 - 10/09/11 02:28 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Medical Update on Ray Thigpen [Re: toucher]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Ray,

thanks for the detailed description of your symptoms and treatment. My wife recently had similar symptoms and got a similar diagnosis, so I'm trying to get a handle on what to expect.

Regarding our ability to cheer you up... report in often! Based on what I've seen from this crowd, support and encouragement are two things you are guaranteed to get from the people here in the forum.

As Rob just said, you really are an inspiration to many. Hang tough. We're all thinking of you, praying for you or rooting for you. (In many cases, doing all 3.)

Based on your own comments, it sounds to me that your faith has been established during the good times so you have it to draw on during the difficult times. THAT is an inspiration to me. Whether these vessels of clay are doing well or not, it can always be well with your soul.

IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL-O-METER
0_________________________/_100

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Forum Stats
28454 Members
58 Forums
55290 Topics
460622 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
rikkyj, tbeach, Andrew DeGaust, Ruben de la Pena, PedroD

28453 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 366
Pipeline 341