#133867 11/16/11 02:26 PM
Off-Topic
C
carkins Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
C
Just received my Audio Technica ATH-M40fs (Flat Extended Frequency Response For Mixing And Monitoring) headphones and am very impressed.
Just under $53 at amazon.com with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH...6914&sr=8-1

They are well padded and fit my cone head perfectly, have a sturdy round 11 ft cable with 1/4 phone plug.
The ear pieces swivel both in and out and side to side.

They are not "lightweight" but are about the same as the Koss UR-15c's they replaced, feel very professional and well built.
And WOW! what a difference in sound quality!

Plugged them into some New Age spa tune playing on Pandora (great for those afternoon power naps) and the water sounds made me want to grab a towel.
Really puts you right in the mix.

Just thought I'd share the joy and maybe give others an opportunity to chime in on their favorite headgear (not including tin foil hats, though I do prefer the Reynolds Extra Heavy Duty!)

Have a good one,
Carkins

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for confirming, Carkin. That was my experience too (among others here). For the price they are an amazing deal. Actually, regardless of price; I've paid more for a much more disappointing result.
The only caveat (as you mentioned) is the 1/4" connector. That may be important to some.

One important aspect is I still like these after using for a period of time. Sometimes new stuff sounds good initially, but these have lasted for me.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #133869 11/16/11 04:24 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I told you you like them. I've had mine for as long as they've been out. I read a review in Electronic Musician and ordered a pair. I've even worn out the ears pads and bought another set. I even plug mine into the Satellite receiver to listen to TV in Stereo. The sound is incredible to me.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Carkins,

Glad you liked them, I love mine..
The recommendations by folks on this set of forums are
invaluable.

Enjoy you music,

Seeker

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
seeker #133871 12/25/11 09:45 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I got a pair of M40fs to assist with recording and mixing. I don't have any flat response monitors (just stereo pc speakers -- which aren't too bad), so I do all preliminary mixes on headphones. The M40fs headphones are sounding thin to me. I think the mids are strong with the bass and treble scaled back a little (sort of like a telephone EQ) or the highs could be over accented. I am not really knowledgeable enough to describe it.

I am just worried that I will adjust the EQ too much and mess up what the mix will translate to on different speaker systems. I know until I get a good set of monitors and learn to use those in my room, this will be an ongoing problem. But, for now, I still need a set that gets the mix as close as possible. I am thinking about returning these and getting another pair in the $100 range -- any ideas/comments.

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!

Kevin

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've been mixing exclusively on mine for about 10 years or more. I bought them the year they came out after a review in Electronic Musician. I've even replaced the pads.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Maybe you'll like the M-50 model .. it emphasizes the lows more.. which causes me to end up weak in the lows on my mixes. I think the M40f/s are pretty flat, especially for the price, and they have lasted well.

How long have you had them?
Have you actually done a mix, burned it, and listened on other systems to see if it translates well?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Just received my Audio Technica ATH-M40fs (Flat Extended Frequency Response For Mixing And Monitoring) headphones and am very impressed.
Just under $53 at amazon.com with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH...6914&sr=8-1

They are well padded and fit my cone head perfectly, have a sturdy round 11 ft cable with 1/4 phone plug.
The ear pieces swivel both in and out and side to side.

They are not "lightweight" but are about the same as the Koss UR-15c's they replaced, feel very professional and well built.
And WOW! what a difference in sound quality!

Plugged them into some New Age spa tune playing on Pandora (great for those afternoon power naps) and the water sounds made me want to grab a towel.
Really puts you right in the mix.

Just thought I'd share the joy and maybe give others an opportunity to chime in on their favorite headgear (not including tin foil hats, though I do prefer the Reynolds Extra Heavy Duty!)

Have a good one,
Carkins

that's what I use too! (But you got a better price than I did)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I didn't see his price on the Reynolds.
What am I missing?
Is this a conspiracy?

rharv #133876 12/25/11 12:44 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hello all,

I paid $48.87 on-line at B&H photo, so I know I got a good price.

I can't say that I have used them enough, but I have been re-mixing with them for a couple of weeks. I did some comparing today (one song) with a) the 40's via sonar, b) my desktop speakers via Sonar, c) cheapo Sony headphones (mdr-xd200) (wav file via media player) and d) a decent stereo via a CD. The M40fs just seem "thinner" than all the other outputs. I know this doesn't mean anything when considering if the mix will be good -- so I wanted to know the 40fs sound thin to all you other users. Maybe I have a defective pair? I also realize "thin" is relative.

The 50's are a little high in price right now for me, so I can't swap the 40's out for those. Maybe I will just stick with them and adapt. I have another week or so before I have to make a final decision.

Thanks,

Kevin

.... so do they sound "thin" to you all compared to a good stereo CD output?

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Listening to Realtracks styles and songs created with them.
Am so happy with their sound.
Do Not have "earing" experience of most of you tho.

A friend of mine on another forum wanted good pair,
suggested these and he sent them back.
Did emphasize the "Studio" flat aspects, but he wanted
something that would add kick like some number do.

Am in process of creating realtrack songs.
Still gotta finish mix, then burn to CD for
testing on my Car sound system and also the Yamaha Surround system.

Last experiences were total failure, frustrated me, so am now
back to the stage of doing this.

The results will be the icing on the phones.

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
seeker #133878 12/25/11 02:31 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
OK this is what is hardest for most folks that are relatively new to mixing tracks to be listened to.
Good monitors and flat responding headphones are not meant for listening to music.They are meant for mixing so that the material sounds good om any system regardless of components.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
For shipping price I'd trade your M40f/s for my M-50 .. it'd cost us both a few bucks to ship, but I'd do it. I like the M40, so any risk would be on your side as to whether or not you like the M50 better. They cost more, but that doesn't matter to me. I'd "trade down" for the ones I like better.

I asked you a question above, have you done a mix using M40f/s and then listened on other systems?
Not just listening to the same song on different systems (useless for our purpose).

Actually open your DAW and do a mix using the M40f/s to create the new mix on .. then burn it to CD and go listen to it on other systems. That is what you are after; a monitor system that makes your mixes sound good on other systems .. not make an existing good mix sound 'better'. It's kind of a reverse point of view.
Instead of a known mix sounding 'good' on a given system, what you're after is a given mix sounding good on an unknown system.

Really; try a mix using M40, then listen in car, on boom box, and on best system you have. See how it 'translates' to other systems.
Then listen again in M40f/s (after taking notes) and see if you can pick up what you didn't like on any of the other systems. If you can suddenly hear it now, you need to learn the M40f/s better .. if not maybe a different model will work better for you. Whatever you use you have to 'learn' them.

rharv #133880 12/25/11 04:12 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have the M40fs. Bought them after hearing recommendations on this board.

These are clearly good cans. Clean and flat. I use them to mix when I have to be quiet in the family home office/studio. I am using Logitech satellites for speakers, and the controls are on a little mouse. I can plug the M40s into the mouse and turn the speakers off. The Logitech passes the signal from the Line out of the Audigy sound card straight to the phones. This works fine and I am not complaining, but the end result usually has too much bass when I play out on other systems. The M40s do not have much bass at all so I end up boosting the bass a lot to hear any at all. Then when I hear the result through speakers the bass is way too loud.

Is this what y'all get? Should I be using these cans some other way?

Last edited by flatfoot; 12/25/11 04:13 PM.

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hey rharv, I would love to take you up on that offer, but after looking at the 50's again I see they got the same oval ear cups the 40fs have, which I find very uncomfortable after an hour or so. This is where the AKG240s shine, super comfortable but the lows are pretty heavy IMHO...

Overall I feel the reason folks don't like the M40fs are because they are flat, not hyped to make the music sound good. These are the first headphones that I can really hear reverb tails on, something that I just don't have an ear for...the mid-range is very accurate to my ear, making vocals & acoustic guitars a lot easier to blend.

It took me close to 2 months to get adjusted to them, listening to commercial CD's an hour or so a day. Now that I have got use to them things are turning out a lot better than when I used the Koss UR-15 (just like carkins has) or AKG240's with my Behringer MS-16's.

And this is an IMHO, YMMV, yada yada type of post, after all everyone hears things differently....

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

I paid $48.87 on-line at B&H photo, so I know I got a good price.

I'd buy two at that price, love mine!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Kevin,

I love mine but I've been using them for quite a while now. My personal opinion is it does take a bit of adjusting to them at first especially if the phones you were previously using were more bass boosting.

Bob,

Where did you get the replacement ear pads? Thanks.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I'm not sure about Bob, but I went to THIS PAGE and then contacted support for a cable & the ear pads....which cost me as much with shipping as the headphones did!

I got my from ZZounds as a scratch & dent item for $35 shipped about 2 years ago....

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hey jcspro40 thanks!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Josie,
DAVE WEBB
Parts and Repair Coordinator
P 330.686.2600 ext. 2730
F 330.686.6277
Audio-Technica U.S., Inc.
1221 Commerce Drive, Stow, Ohio 44224
dwebb@atus.com
$10.16 including shipping.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,481
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195