Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
Hello Everyone,

Here is something I posted on another thread about headphone use. Its just my 2 cents worth but I thought it might be relevant.

- - - - - -

A good STUDIO Headphone is an ABSOLUTE MUST !! Buy one that was DESIGNED for STUDIO use and spend at least $100 on one or as much as you can afford. AVOID consumer and DJ models. Average consumer models are usually NOT designed with a flat frequency response. DJ models have a heavy hump in frequencies that help you hear the headphone in a loud ambient environment . . . like a night club. My personal choice is a Sony 7509. I know this headphone intimately because I've used this model for many years.

Everyone can hear. There are far fewer number of us who has LEARNED TO LISTEN. Yes, CRITICAL listening ability IS AN ACQUIRED TALENT . . . and it takes as much time, effort and PRACTICE to develop this talent as it takes to become a good guitarist.

Everything we have ever heard in our life time is a result of the sound source and ITS REACTION to the environment. This is the difference WHY you sound different in the bathroom compared to the living room.

If you do not have a properly "treated" Listening room (where you mix your music), the headphone eliminates the "environment" to a minimum. The only "environment" left is the air space between the headphone diver and your eardrum.

Each HEADPHONE sounds different . . . even within the same "model number". The more you pay . . . the less are the minor difference within a "model number". Flatter response you get from a good pair of headphone is usually not as pleasing as listening to a nice stereo system. This is because the "pleasing environment" we are used to has been eliminated. "Consumer" headphones have built-in EQ curve to replicate the "missing environment". So, if you mix to a "consumer" headphone and you play the result in your stereo system, some areas of the EQ curve can become over or under emphasized.

Once you buy your "reference" headphone, its time to start the learning process. This is a LEARNING process and it requires many hours of listening. You need "REFERENCE TRACKS". You need to select CD tracks from your CD collection that you think they SOUND great to you. These tracks don't necessarily be one that you are fond of . . . just the ones with production quality you want to emulate. These reference tracks should contain a wide range of genre. Include few examples from Orchestral music like Movie soundtracks to solo acoustic instruments and everything in between. If you decide to burn a reference CD, make sure you do in a WAV. file format so there are no digital compression is involved.

Now its time to spend MANY HOURS of LISTENING. Concentrate on trying to isolate and listen to each instrument or an area of frequency range. Learn to listen in parts of the sound as well as the whole. eventually you will learn YOUR headphone's sound and begin to trust it.

It is often helpful to listen to a reference track while mixing to check your progress. If the production quality of you mix comes close the the production quality on your reference track . . . then the audio CD you burn should translate well in your stereo system.

If you compare your work against a reference track from a "Big Label CD" . . . through YOUR headphone, then your work should come very close to or equal a commercially produced CD !!

- - - - - - -

I try not to change headphone brands, specially when I've spent many critical listening hours to "learn" my reference headphone.

Several times in the past, when I did some work in large studios, I always had my reference headphone and my reference CDs with me. My headphone was my point of reference during the progress of the project.

Ed Layola

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
rharv: To answer your question about doing a mix -- no, I really haven't started a mix from scratch with the 40fs' yet. I'll be spending most of January "re-mixing" with some re-recording (plus I have two songs with no vocals/my guitars yet -- just BIAB tracks). I think the 40's will be OK, just got to get used to them. Now, the sennheiser hd280's are on sale at Amazon for $75 and a local store has them for $79. I might pick up a pair today and decide over the next couple of weeks which one to keep. Of course trading the 40's for the 50's is tempting -- but it would feel like stealing since the 50's are $150 everywhere.

flatfoot and sundance (and everyone else): Thanks for chiming in. It might be I just need to get used to them. Of course, maybe the sound "quality" on these 40's are different than other 40's. Hard to know.

Everyone's ears are different. If you ever read through review after review comparing headphones, you will soon find out that all the main headphones have their fans and their detractors.

Thanks,

Kevin

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I bought the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro headphones today -- I think they are going back. They are pretty tight around the head and I can't really tell enough difference between them and the 40's to justify keeping them. I did a lot of reading too -- and while the 280's have fans, it has many more detractors. The ATH-M50's seem to be the clear winners (although a lot of folks don't agree).

rharv -- how old are your 50's and what kind of shape are they in? ha, ha!

I am going to do as much listening over the next few days with the 40's to see if I'll keep them. I can always send them back and just wait for the 50's to go on sale.

This is tougher than I expected. I bet if I had just gone ahead and got the Sony MDR7506's, I would have been happy since I have used Sony headphones all along.

Kevin

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I bought the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro headphones today -- I think they are going back. They are pretty tight around the head and I can't really tell enough difference between them and the 40's to justify keeping them. I did a lot of reading too -- and while the 280's have fans, it has many more detractors. The ATH-M50's seem to be the clear winners (although a lot of folks don't agree).

rharv -- how old are your 50's and what kind of shape are they in? ha, ha!

I am going to do as much listening over the next few days with the 40's to see if I'll keep them. I can always send them back and just wait for the 50's to go on sale.

This is tougher than I expected. I bet if I had just gone ahead and got the Sony MDR7506's, I would have been happy since I have used Sony headphones all along.

Kevin

Let me see if I can get through to you one more time. The ATH M40fs are accurate headphones that are great for engineers for mixing tracks. You are approaching this like a guy looking for a set of headphones to put on and listen to his favorite music while relaxing. Two different approaches. Nearfield monitors suck to listen to music on.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Sony MDR7509 are my phones of choice. Keep trying others but always come back to the Sony

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Let me see if I can get through to you one more time. The ATH M40fs are accurate headphones that are great for engineers for mixing tracks. You are approaching this like a guy looking for a set of headphones to put on and listen to his favorite music while relaxing. Two different approaches. Nearfield monitors suck to listen to music on.

Yes, I see how my description of my needs can be confusing. I need the best "mixing" headphones I can get in my price range (~$100). The main issue I have with the 40's is that they are a little "tinny" to my ears with not enough bass. Since my mixes sometimes have too much "boom" in them, I am afraid that I will bump the bass too much. Now maybe the sound in the 40's is exactly what I need and I just need to train my ears. However, after reading lots of reviews and threads, the "consensus of opinion" is that the 50's just translate better because the bass mix is more "real". This could be wrong and the 40's could be great for me -- but I am blundering ahead! I am either going to get the 50's or the sony 7506's (or keep the 40's) and be done with it (I can't swing the 7509's right now).

Now everyone says you shouldn't mix with headphones (especially closed-end), but that's what I got right now. I plan to get monitors also (maybe later this year). It looks like that discussion is even more confusing with opinions left and right!

... now I do need a great pair of "listening" headphones too!!!!!!

Kevin

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Kevin,

I hope you'll keep us posted. If you get the 50's and a/b them for yourself with the 40's - I'd be interested in your impressions.

John,

Thanks!!! I'm going to order those replacements.

Josie

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
PM your address to me, I was serious, I'd trade the M50's even up. They have very few hours on them, as they are not preferred here by me. About a year old as of now. I'm not going to want to trade back though and pay shipping twice to end up with my original headphones! I hate the coiled cord on them too ..

Last edited by rharv; 12/27/11 05:04 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #133895 12/27/11 06:16 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I also am forced to mix with headphones 70-80% of the time and found that having one of these when using headphones is a HUGE help.They help create a virtual stereo reproduction system and listening room for a more "real feel"...

Isone Pro - After a year of trying out the various headphone room simulators I settled on this VST...IMHO the best out of the bunch. Now this refers to their older one, I have not tried out this new one...

Redline Monitor - I would recommend this 2nd, it colors the sound more than Isone but is still very helpful.

The free hdphx is no longer available at the site I have a link for, but you might be able to locate it with a search. It works & is worth the download....

Use what you got to the best of your ability, and as soon as all the naysayers buy us all some room treatment & REAL monitors then I say use what ya have! ;P

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You really hit the nail on the head. You need to learn how it should sound on your headphones so as to translate properly on various systems. I can't teach you how to mix on a Forum.There's a lot of trial and error.It would be like teaching you to play on this Forum. Can give pointers but you have to do the work.
I've said this before but it's a matter of the content of the mix that makes for proper translation. Think of it as a big soup. Don't tweak each track with EQ etc. individually until you think it sounds good. You need to learn the frequency relationship between instruments.Frequencies add & subtract from each other. If you were making a soup would you but spices on each ingredient until it tastes good,say salt? Of course because after you put all the ingredients into the pot you'd have way to much salt.If your mix has way to much "salt" now what do you do?
So here's an example as it applies to music. The human voice is very much a midrange instrument SO cut some of the midrange on other instruments. It'll clear up that excess midrange sound. Kick Drum & bass. Same thing.Decide which one to cut some of that low end content. Belive me the track may sound off but the MIX will sound right.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
Ditto to everything "silvertones" said.

Mixing is an ART. The only way to do it well is through experience. LOTS of experience. This is something no one can do for you . . . you just have to put in the hours. A "mix" is a personal expression of the mixing engineer. You can give all the individual tracks to a song to 20 mixers and you'd end up with 20 different mixes of the song.

There are a millions of tips and tricks, do's and don'ts. But remember, none of them are "rules". You have to continually keep evolving as you gain experience. That means a lot of trial and error and lots of experimenting. You don't want to get stagnant with your mixing method. Stagnation leads to songs that sounds the same.

LISTEN to the SONG. Do what the song is asking for. 75% of the time required for mixing is listening time. Listen for whats needed. What ever you think about doing, you should always let your ears make the final decision . . . weather to keep the change or not? . . . did the change add or detract from the mix? . . . etc.

I try to mix dry first. If the mix sounds good dry, I usually need less "effects" . . . but thats just me.

Its almost impossible to "talk" about sound without hearing it in the same room.

Trust your ears.

Ed

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I replaced my AKG Headphone in 2009. I used to have the model with 4 transducers and very flat response. They were over $200. I couldn't afford them and the flat response was no longer an asset for me. At my age, after years of Marshall Stacks and many gigs that were way to loud my hearing is impaired. I was EQing my stuff with too much Highs and way too much Lows.
I switched to a Sennheiser HeadPhone that was about 50-60 dollars. They colored the sound but made up for my hearing loss. My mixes didn't have to be redone everytime I popped a CD into my portable or anything else. I lost these in the recent flood now and they don't make this model anymore anyway. So I'm at a loss for what to get. I really loved the Sennheiser's for mixing, recording and listening. And I'm pretty sure I can get by on a set that's under $100. My days of 1-2 hundred dollar items are gone.

I did finally replace my Guitar Amp, with a Fender Mustang I, and it's one of the best amps I've ever owned. It makes my Strat sound like My good old Tele and more.

Wayne, Still here,

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've decided against mixing. I'm mobility challenged, and deaf. Probably a no brainer eh? But the people who do it are 'black art' types. You can't learn it. You can't teach it. You need 4 cars in the drive with bad wheels but good sound systems. They don't have to work. Just the stereos. Heck I can't get out if the house, too much ice. I forgot to get a pick for my cane, it attaches on the bottom for the winter so you can do snow and ice. The other thing is you need one of those sound systems with speakers the size of small pianos to try it on. And a Bose for fun. Not to mention trips to the local mall to try it there, and perhaps, if you can book a slot, a 15 minute trial at Carnegie Hall.

Now bear in mind before that, you MUST have the audiophile version. Who'd go to the master step with less? Nuts. Add to that the Garritan stuff, ALL of it. 3 outboard synths. And you can't Master in Band in a Box, and RealBand, (You need it, it's a tool).

Now I figure you need a screamer computer, about 5k.
That's only for the PC, you must have a MAC. Every tune, every idea, and every bit of cinema, art, etc. All Mac stuff, just ask them.
2 copies of some expensive thing like Sibelius.
2 copies of some mixing software, latest version.
1 k for PG software.
2 k for those speakers in front of you that are NOT for listening to music. They are flat field monitors, chosen because they sound crappy. Can't do music but a must for mixing.
And the most expensive headphones you can find for mixing. Again, not for music, just mixing. You havn't done much yet but at least 15k or more so far.

Now you need years of experience, and you need to have a big soundboard for side chaining, and once you have your 12 today, 24 tommorrow, and 'cmon, you have to have 48 tracks right? And the room needs to be dead, forget the local funeral home, you have to put stuff on the walls to stop the sound, because you only want to hear it on speakers not good for listening to music, and headphones just in case.

Now once you get part way, run out to the driveway. Here it's against the law to idle your car longer than 10 minutes except if the outdoor temperature equals the temperature of the breath of one of the left wing women on city council. Cold.

Then you run around sticking your potential cd in everyones thing, and after that, you go back and tweak.

Once you are 'done', you invite all and sundry over to your house, stick that CD into your old boom box with sand from the last beach trip 12 years ago and crank your loops for the whole family to praise, while you send out copies to every Nashville producer and artist. You don't get a thank-you, but your CD's are being used at a Nashville soup kitchen to keep the formica from getting stained by coffee cups.

As to me, I'm letting the box play old Sinatra tunes, oblivious to the fact that my Bose stick is messing up the stereo field, and NOT one Master who baits us on the forum, dares come and tell me I'm missing the overtones at 3k. See I don't even hear, with any amplification, anything above 2900 hz so I'm just gonna smile and enjoy.

Where's my Perry Como collection, Paul Anka's too hip for me!

NOTE: There is humour in the above post. In Canada humour includes you twice, because you have to have a lot when you live here. I'm off to check the temperature to see if I can warm up the car or if I have to drive it with 2 inches of ice. Occupy Key West. Now.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Keep up the humo(u)r, John!

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
jford #133901 12/29/11 06:23 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I almost bought Bose noise cancelling headphones for almost 400 bucks at Best Buy.

Wow, I put them on and it was quiet. Quel concept!

Then I took them off. The ceiling fans are running at a screaming level, but they go away with the headphones on. WOW. I listened close and heard some voices. With the headphones on NOT A THING! Miracle. I think I saw the Madonna cry! I just walked up the steps to some shrine, in the sunshine with Nuns cheering me on, my knees bleeding and praise whichever saint built the joint, I can't hear anything. Well except the ringing in my ears which never leaves.

The shopping carts bang, put on those headphones, and wow, gone. And the music sounded dang good. I'm thinking of buying them and realize my buddy Stew, who works as a construction supervisor and gives me those foam earplugs is talking to me. We chat for a while and he reaches in his pocket and gives me 5 or 6 pairs in little boxes. We discuss the Mexican National Anthem, and decide to leave it in C.

A few minutes later, while waiting for the salesperson with a key to get me some cool Bose headphones, they start smashing carts, and it's driving me nuts. I pull out the hearing aids, stick in the foam things and no cart noise. No fans. No indistinct talking. Just tinnitus. Ringing like a bad friend who won't go home. I disappear and realize I just saved 400 bucks by sticking the free pieces of foam in my ears.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
somebody needs to invent ear plugs that only cancel out the negative stuff. Music, compliments, encouragement, the voice of friends, the noises of pets... all that should get through.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
That's just called being positive.

It bugs some people but when they ask How are you?

I often reply,

"Not good" (insert pregnant pause here) "I'm fantastic!"

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

That's just called being positive.

It bugs some people but when they ask How are you?

I often reply,

"Not good" (insert pregnant pause here) "I'm fantastic!"

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,494
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195