Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Just interested to know what styles of music, whether covers or originals, whether for fun or commercially, what.... hang on I'll write a list of q's... answer any you feel like, add more if you like!

What styles?

Covers or Originals?

Fun or commercial (or somewhere in between!)

What human instruments do you add to your Biab/RB arrangements?

Do you port your tunes from BIAB into another DAW (eg. Sonar etc) to finish them?

Do you play live with Biab?

What are you currently working on?

PS. enjoying biab and rb very much. start off in biab then at some point "unfold" & switch to rb. not sure why!

Off-Topic
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
here's mine:

What styles?
gospel, blues, pop/dance - but hope to expand by using biab/rb

Covers or Originals?
gospel and blues mostly covers, pop/dance originals

somewhere in between - hoping for a song to be picked up at some point.

so far voice and piano

Do you port your tunes from BIAB into another DAW (eg. Sonar etc) to finish them?
still experimenting with workflow - so far not doing vocals in biab/rb - doing them in Cakewalk because I can loop and get many takes...

No, but I'd like to at some point...

trad. gospel album with all my favourite gospel songs

Mel

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

What styles?

Country, Country Rock, Bluegrass

Quote:

Covers or Originals?

Both

Quote:

Somewhere in between

Quote:

5 string banjo, acoustic and electric guitar, bass guitar, accordian, keyboards, harmonica

Quote:

SONAR 8 PE and Sound Forge 9

Quote:

No, I use SONAR for live shows.

Quote:

A valentine's day CD for my wife.

Last edited by KeithS; 02/06/09 12:32 PM.
Off-Topic
H
Apprentice
Apprentice
H
Working on?

Yesterday I was working on a fifth. Today I've got it down to 3/4 of a pint.

Like the man said, "ain't that a kick in the head!"
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
What styles? Rock, Blues, and Country

Covers or Originals? both Covers for playing live, and originals for creativity sake.

Fun or commercial (or somewhere in between!) Fun for now.

What human instruments do you add to your Biab/RB arrangements? Guitar, Bass, and vocals

Do you port your tunes from BIAB into another DAW (eg. Sonar etc) to finish them? I finish in either RB, or a program called Multitrackstudio

Do you play live with Biab? Somewhat, I am using RB more now due to the ability to process better and add more tracks.

What are you currently working on? A full set of live work, and two originals

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Interesting query, Mel.

What styles?
- Brazilian jazz
- Latin jazz

Covers or Originals?
- Only originals

- Both

- Any horn part needed. Flugelhorn, flute, soprano or tenor sax, trumpet. Also vibes.

- Yes, SONAR. Then Adobe Audition for mastering the stereo file with Ozone.

- No. I use real people.

- Finishing compositions for another Brazilian jazz CD
- Writing arrangements and scores for a client doing a Latin jazz CD
- Beta testing Encore 5 for Windows, a notation program
- Preparing programs for two upcoming Rio JAZZ concerts
- Interrupting all that whenever the muse makes me compose something else

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
What styles?

Everything but Rap, Hard Rock and Metal.

Covers or Originals?

Covers.

Both.

Guitar and Vocals.

No, when I feel they are ready I plug the PA jack into the earphone outlet then . . . one ana two and off we go (in my studio of course), then they are tweaked until I feel they are ready for a live performance.

Yes and I still can’t believe people pay me to perform, it truly is a great country!

Besides the never ending task of tweaking arrangements in every one of my song books the inserting and arranging of solos for the new realtracks Trumpet, Bone and 2 beat Sax solos I am working on arrangements for a couple of lesser known, but very good IMO, Neil Sedaka and Paul Anka tunes, "Should Have Never Let You Go" and "Do I love You?" respectively.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
What styles?

Rock, Country, Blues

Covers or Originals?

Originals

Fun or commercial (or somewhere in between!)?

Fun ... but I can always dream.

Acoustic/Electric guitars, harmonica and vocals. I can also do simple stuff on banjo and might do some keys/percussion in the future.

Yes, Sonar Home Studio 6XL.

No.

The www.rpmchallenge.com "Record a CD in February" thing. 10 of the 12 songs will be BIAB created backing tracks. I'll post a few here once they are done.

Kevin

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Just interested to know what styles of music, whether covers or originals, whether for fun or commercially, what.... hang on I'll write a list of q's... answer any you feel like, add more if you like!

What styles? As a composer, I find that I've been creating electronica over which to play guitar. I deal a lot in objets trouvets--found objects--which can be software, people, or new instruments which take me in unexpected directions. RB is going to add an interesting new dimension to this. As far as playing with others, it depends largely on who I am playing with. At core, I'm a blues guitarist--but it doesn't sound like it when combined with electronica and 'acid dixieland' (trust me, you wouldn't like it). I also play fingerstyle acoustic guitar and bass.

Covers or Originals? Originals; I consider myself a composer first. OPS (Other Peoples' Stuff) palled on me about three years ago. I've largely rejected all that I have done before and have taken a completely new course.

Fun or commercial (or somewhere in between!) Has to be fun if I'm doing it for myself. I do want to market music on the Internet to generate residual income, and play live for giggles and short-term cash.

What human instruments do you add to your Biab/RB arrangements? My primary musical instrument is the Personal Computer. I am fascinated by automation. There is and will be a lot of nonhuman stuff. But when I get RB or another DAW working there will certainly be my guitar and electronic accents. I have a background in choral music and would like for voice to be a large element of what I do.

Do you port your tunes from BIAB into another DAW (eg. Sonar etc) to finish them? I sometimes port BIAB GM files into Reason, with great results. I have Nuendo and RealBand. I really wish it was easier to port files between these programs, or to link them using Propellerhead's ReWire.

Do you play live with Biab? No. I may use tracks that I create with it, but I doubt I'll ever use the program live.

What are you currently working on? The 'acid' thing above is an ongoing monster--can't even dignify it by calling it a project, since projects usually have goals--that I've been with for the last seven years. But it has given me free rein to develop my electric guitar skills.

I'm talking with someone now about doing a live folk-jazz act and looking for other opportunities to play live. But now that I have the hardware in line, I will be working on a backlog of originals.

Last edited by Ryszard; 02/06/09 05:17 PM.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Styles:

I'm a songwriter at heart. so I like to think of myself as a writer. In that capacity I write mostly Country, Country folk, Bluegrass, and some other stuff that are ballads mostly but I haven't been able to figure out what genre.

Covers or Originals?
A little of both, covers are usually old western or country or gospel, originals are either country or the non-genre stuff. But I sometimes play around with jazz.

Mostly fun, but I do a small gig once in awhile with my covers and original stuff. Ususally mp3 track and accoustic or just an accoustic.

some guitar, bass, have done a little harmonica, piano.

So far strictly PG stuff now. I used to use cakewalk, ntrack and something else for midi, can't remember what now. I've been toying with getting another either sonar, or ? but hate the thought of the learning curve.

Do you play live with Biab? Oops already aswered that.
I do play live with a christian country group, where I either play bass or accoustic guitar usually

What are you currently working on? Currently trying to master a jazz album that I've been working on for years. It keeps changing direction, then I learn something new and have to apply the changes to the mix etc. It might get finished someday.

toucher

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi everyone;

HappyTrails> A fifth is part of a chord, and you could put it in 3/4 time!

What styles?
My roots are country, blues and rock. But with BIAB one can explore different styles and experiment, which is nice.

Covers or Originals?

I am a songwriter, so anything I do will be original. I have about 5 good originals complete that were written in the 90's. Back then I had to go to a studio to make them sound professional. Not anymore!

I do it for fun always because I enjoy it. I have pitched sooo many times to people listed in the Songwriters Handbook, but have not gotten signed yet. That would be nice. I even live about 20 from Lacy J. Dalton, here in Nevada, and gave her a demo after a concert, but never heard back. It is so competitive, I believe a person needs an "IN" to get heard these days.

So far acoustic and electric guitar. I need to get some more gear before I do vocals.

Just starting to use RB yesterday.
Not outside of the house.
Blues, one kinda like James Brown, lots of country, a gospel one for a person at work, and a Dire Straits one.

Last edited by Luvs3rds; 02/06/09 02:53 PM.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
What styles?
Easy Rock, Folk Rock, Folk, Country (old style)

Covers or Originals?
Originals

Both

Acoustic Bass Guitar & Acoustic 6 String, Electric Bass & Guitar, Drums & percussion, some keyboard parts...(tho I have never played a "human instrument"....is it hard to learn?:o

Yes, Cubase SX3, Kristal Audio Engine, Reaper for mixing lately, WaveLab5, AA 1.5 and Wavosaur for editing, AAMS for "mastering"

No

5 Original Folk Rock tunes, a 4 song EP for a friend, mixing 3 on-line collabs

Great idea for a thread!

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
What styles?
Whatever the customer is sending me

Covers or Originals?
originals only here

I guess it depends on the definition of commercial. Getting paid if that makes it commercial, but I try to have fun... getting success at the fun part more some times than others

Very little use for BiaB here but I do almost all work in PT or RB, depending on location and system used.

Again, it depends on what the project needs.. bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, horns, etc.

Nope, when I play live I like people to play with. Otherwise its like the studio work, which pays better and requires less equipment hauling.

Music by others lately, helping people finish their originals.
Recently- boating songs (folksy) and EuroTechnical.. wide variety coming in.
Even had a guy send us a song with the melody separate so we could have a singer record it, so he could show HIS singer how the song went... that one was confusing. Turned out to be timing issues in his recordings preventing him from getting the idea across to his bandmate. The tracks were playing at different speeds and it took me a while to figure out what was going on...
throw in a little work for a local TV show, nothing big, but busy.
Wish I had more time to hang out here and listen more to what everyone is posting, but I usually come on the forum to give the ears a break.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Styles - my own.

Covers/own - mostly other peoples music - from the 20's to the 50's.

Purely for fun - my own (no one else would want to hear it).

Human instruments? No, I just play the piano by myself - never did like duets - the bench was too narrow.

What's BIAB? Just kidding - I arrange my own stuff, including other parts such as bass/drums. Well I cheat on the drums by using midi file drum tracks that "fit".

Play with BIAB - no just by myself - I doing the arrangement as I play.

Working on? mostly stuff that went out of style about fifty years ago. And getting accustomed to Pianoteq - it's so nice to have a sweet, rich sound that is actually digitally created.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

What styles?

Covers or Originals?

PS. enjoying biab and rb very much. start off in biab then at some point "unfold" & switch to rb. not sure why!

Styles for me are jazz, latin and some country. Occassionally, but not too often, some rock.

I do not have the education to actually write originals, so all my work are 'covers.' Usually, I prefer 'The Great American Songbook,' so I prefer the term 'standards.'

Fun, most definitely. I will create CDs for friends.

John, Susan and sometimes Bill...:p
I don't know what you mean by 'human instruments', although I'm assuming you mean ones that I play myself. I play a Korg PA800 Professional Arranger.

I do export files from Band In A Box to either Power Tracks Pro Audio or Sonar 7. Currently, Sonar 7 is my choice for much of my DAW work. I gave up on Pro Tools because my computer kept crashing.

I do not gig out, although the concept of doing an 'open mic' night with a laptop and RB has crossed my mind.

And, I am currently working on seeing if BIAB/RB will work with Windows 7 64 bit.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Does this make census? Whatever style lends itself to what I've written. Could be Easy Listening, Folk Rock, Country, Blues - my writing is done with the acoustic guitar. After inputting the chords in BIAB I search for the right style to fit the song tempo.

I'm only working my song demos now. Human instruments would include acoustic guitar (although I have used a midi guitar controller with it), harmonica and bass. Only use BIAB and PowerTracks.

For live music I like "live", or mostly live, musicians. Seldom do clubs anymore - the equipment just got too heavy to move - even for an acoustic guitar player. Like to play music with friends after dinner and over a bottle of single malt.

I work on some covers for my two girls by downloading midi files and tweaking them a bit so they can sing along and I record them.

Cheers

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
My buddy's '57 Buick Roadmaster project.

I'm doing the sound system.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I am currently working on seeing if BIAB/RB will work with Windows 7 64 bit.

Gary

Hey Gary, let us know how this goes, OK? Maybe start a new thread. Several folks over on the SONAR forum really like Windows 7 beta. They claim it works with Vista drivers, but is as fast or faster than XP.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Jazz, blues, fusion. Most songs are original although periodically will cover songs i like. All for fun. Compose then plug in guitar then record then listen then bang head on guitar then grab the closest beer.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

My buddy's '57 Buick Roadmaster project.

I'm doing the sound system.

--Mac

Sweet, sounds like fun

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,632
Posts735,245
Members38,521
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, vasilich, maxrob61
38,520 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 180