Page 1 of 2 1 2
#134490 11/22/11 10:28 PM
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
Here is a song by Diamond Rio, that is being banned by a lot of radio stations. To think we are about to celebrate Thanksgiving. Which is a holiday in tribute to the fact that the pilgrims made it safely here so that they could worship the God of the Bible. Read what Christopher Columbus said about the reason he took the voyage. How it was the Holy Scriptures that kept him going when the science of the day said the trip was impossible. Now there are those that want to ban God references from money, from courthouses they do not want prayer. Yet the same folks gunning for God, want to worship in there own way. Pakistan has banned the use of Jesus Christ in all letters and e-mails and text, it is listed as an obscene word in their country now.

In God We Still Trust

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This post does not belong on 'our' forum.

The tenor, the information, and the objective all are suspect.

I have asked before, that those who wish to evangelize do so elsewhere.

I could put this user on ignore, but that would imply that I am ok with NOT putting up a dissenting view.

1. The Pilgrims are not what you think. And harvest festivals were held for millennia, it's not something invented by the 'yanks' from the 13 colonies.

2. The trip to North America was done by Vikings and many other groups long before anyone actually landed on the shores of the current USA.

3. Poor Chris, despite what you want to think, did never set foot on the continental USA.

4. At a significant point in the history of the present USA, one of the major reasons for 'Independence' and all that was that the British had treaties with the aboriginal peoples giving them control over 4/5 of the North American geography. This did not sit well with 'american' colonial aspirants, who wanted them all dead. The Brits, after the 'revolution', realizing the idea was to grab all the land, decided to defend Canada, where, according to you, were oppressed terribly. Too bad that was not true.

History, has multiple sides.

Religion does not belong here, or on any public forum. Find a forum of your own, where you all like to figure your interpretation of whatever you think is right, and be happy in your own little spot.

Don't mess with me, don't convert me, don't bury messages or make them an in your face as you think they should be. Be quiet. Study the arts and sciences. Learn.

IF you can keep your head when all about us,
Are discarding theirs and blaming others,
When you can ponder all mankind,
And make allowance for them,
If you can listen, closing your mouth and considering,
But allow all logical arguments to colour your position.
If when the facts do not support you; you change,
When being despised remain a lover,
Yet don't look fancy, nor speak as a sage:

If you can dream - and not make dreams your driving force
If you can think, - and understand
If you can meet reality and your inevitable demise
But don't panic, and be a stalwart
If you can think that wisdom changes,
And at times appears broken,
Then that is the lot of man,
As we lay broken on a field of ideas,
Our tools dulled by the effort to bring them
Before the wise and the foolish.

If you can gird yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
When lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And greet each with a happy heart,
Knowing you care giving,
Happiness, love, an courage.

Then you know that your qualities are exemplary,
Well regarded and lauded by many,
And held in high esteem by men and God,
And silently, held high by many.

I made up the above.

In hopes that there is some 'moderation.'

I did not complain at length to the admins but I sorely wanted to do just that, complain.

It sure is real easy to puff up your existence and think that the billions don't get it but you do. Right.

I am, in my own way, very religious. My Gods are various and of no interest you you. Nor are yours to me. Please cease and desist. I am, as a person of my own conviction, offended that the potentially insidious intentions are creating discord.

I must say that I have said the same to my blood brothers, both 'evangelical' Baptists.

Like in the song Signs from the 60's. Do this don't do that. Sorry, we are only about a few hundred years from scalping each other for our beliefs. Don't get too set in your ways and decide I'm a heathen based on my choice of haircuts.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Well put John.

Chris
Off-Topic
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
100% in agreement with John. I have my own beliefs & do not need to be preached to either.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Totally in agreement with John......regardless of anyone's beliefs....this is a misuse of the forum. And the poster has been guilty of this before. PLEASE.....the are great forums....stick to the rules! Joe G.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

This post does not belong on 'our' forum.

I'm going to disagree with this statement, and with the various reasons given for it.

1) it's appropriate because it started with the posting of a song, which is commonly done here on the forum

2) it has been established in multiple lawsuits that to use religion as a basis for denying some people the same liberties enjoyed by everyone else is discrimination.

3) the post was accompanied by an opinion, which is also commonly done here on the forum. In fact each protest was accompanied by an opinion. If opinions are not allowed, then all of those who protested are also out of line

4) regarding the connection with the product and the church: I would bet that a VERY high percentage of PGMusic's sales are made to people who play in church. At a time when live music is at an all-time low everywhere else, pretty much every church in the world has live music every week. To risk alienating this group of people is not in PGMusic's best interest. Word gets around in the circles of faith. If a company is seen as an adversary to people of faith, people will spread the word.

5) We all encounter opinions we disagree with every day. Normally we just disagree. It is only in the arena of faith that people seem to require others to refrain from offering an opinion they don't want to hear. I see this as oppressive and unnecessary.

6) regarding the subject of forum protocol, it is generally the rule on forums that a wide range of opinion is tolerated. Furthermore, it is generally considered that people who stir up dissent are the trouble makers, not the people who post their thoughts. A discussion doesn't become a fight until somebody kicks back.

7) I'm curious to know... do you support censorship in any other arena, or only where matters of faith are concerned? I ask because it has been my experience that the people who protest the loudest about religious liberty are advocates of personal liberty in every other direction. To me that's hypocritical. The right to express an opinion should not be governed by what a small group dislikes. Liberty extends to people of all persuasions.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This is why I do my best not to get into political or religious discussions on the PG forums. I'm fairly sure that my views on both differ a lot from many folks here. But that has nothing to do with how we can enjoy each other's music, and help each other with the software, and be online friends together.

I will say this on the attempts to remove "In God We Trust" from the money, from courthouses, schools, etc. -- The United States of America is indeed mostly populated by members of one flavor or another of the Christian faith. However, it is not a religious state. By that, I simply mean that the Constitution -- the backbone of our legal system -- very specifically exempts favoring, or discriminating against, any particular religion. That would be the First Amendment, in case you're wondering.

We are not a theocracy. We are a republic, a representative democracy (or we would be if our current representatives actually cared about their constituents, which sure doesn't seem to be the case from my p.o.v.)

And, bluntly, the entire "war on Christmas/Christians" thing is blown up by Fox News, and supported by other news outlets who want viewers and aren't afraid to use sensationalistic button-pushing stories to get 'em.
  • We're Day Five into our first official Pre-Black Friday Christmas retail feeding frenzy. Christmas decorations have been available in most major chains since at least the last week of October, and in some places much earlier.
  • We're about to have a month of holiday specials on TV, nearly all of them to do with Christmas.
  • Everything shuts down for the Christmas holiday itself except churches and Chinese restaurants, and as far as I can tell the only reason the latter don't shut down is they know some people will want to eat carry-out, even on Christmas day.
  • Every city in the country has, or will have, Christmas decorations. Even the "secular" variety, e.g., Santa and Reindeer and candy canes and elves and wrapped presents. How many of those cities put up similar decorations for Ramadan, Passover, or Kwaanzaa? Heck, more decorations are put up for Talk Like A Pirate Day than for those three.
  • Bill O'Reilly has already started his annual War On Christmas riff, deriding any place that refers to the end-of-year holidays as, y'know, holidays rather than Christmas -- except, of course, his own online store. (Haven't confirmed it for this year, but every year for the past several he's had "Happy Holidays" ornaments, in direct violation of his own screed.)
  • I drive all over the Eastern half of the country to gigs. Trying to find a classical music station -- or even a decent rock oldies station -- is a heck of a lot harder than finding either country stations or religious stations, and sometimes I find more of the latter. AM Radio? All religious or right-wing political, all the time.
  • Final, small, tiny little point -- NOBODY IS TRYING TO GET RID OF CHRISTMAS. It's all in the minds of people who are being jacked around by people who want to keep them scared and malleable.
Whew. Sorry to go on for so long, but I've been kinda holding it in for a few years now. If you haven't guessed, I'll come right out and say it: Politically, I'm a progressive/liberal; I'm also an atheist, and came to that decision a long time ago for reasons which have stood the test of time and reexamination for me. Because my mom sings in her church a few times a week and her church community has done wonders for her, I do my best not to be militant about religious matters these days, unless (as is unfortunately often the case) someone is trying to jam through some legislation that would affect me or my friends because of what that someone declares their God demands.

That said, I was raised Christian. (My lame joke is that, since I was raised first Lutheran, then Methodist, I worship ways to kill Superman.) I love celebrating Christmas with friends, I love Christmas music and sing a lot of carols, I always reread Dickens' A Christmas Carol from a big annotated hardcover edition I got twenty years ago.

And I do my best to clam up about this stuff in here because I don't want to offend anybody. You are my friends, and I'd like to keep it that way. If you all want to talk about it, fine. Just... I very well might not join in.

And now, back to the clamming up part.

Hugs and Happy Holidays to you all.

Rant off.

Best,
Tom Smith
Win10/64 • i7-8700K • 24 GB RAM
BIAB 2024 • Reaper 7 • Izotope MPS
AKG C1000S • IK iRig I/O Pro
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power,would be justified in silencing mankind." - John Stuart Mill

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

Music is what feelings sound like.
Off-Topic
C
Journeyman
Journeyman
C
YIKES!!
Come on y'all, LIGHTEN UP!!!

The reactions to the posted song seem surprisingly over the top considering the usual levels of tolerance displayed here.

You all know of respected members, who have contributed in the past, who continually express their underlying beliefs, or faith if you will, in their posts and responses.

Would Johnny Cash and Elvis have been treated the same if they had posted one of their Gospel songs.

For the record I try to respect the beliefs of all as long as they don't advocate intolerance (or worse) towards the beliefs of others or use religion as a tool of exploitation.

A song I wrote, "Prophet For Profit" at my website: http://www.carlkocich.com/Music.html
pretty much says it all.

Politics and religion are slippery slopes which can easily bring out the dark sides of those who think they are walking (or singing) in the light.

Hopefully as lovers of music we can rise above this and focus on trying to bring some joy into the world with our efforts, humble though they may be.

Think I'll take a page from Sheryl Crow and go soak up some son, OOPS I meant SUN:)

Have a Happy and Respectful Thanksgiving.
Carkins

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds like a plan, gents. For what it's worth, my primary "religious" offering is a two-parter, here and here.

Best,
Tom Smith
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Don't get off the topic. I have, on more than one occasion, clicked a link by the OP, only to find out it was a hidden agenda.

Religion, it has been stated, is like one's penis. I'm glad you have one. I'm glad you are proud of it. Please don't wave it around. It does not need to be shoved at anyone.

I'm a tolerant person. I do believe in God. We celebrate Christmas. I also celebrate Beltane. I want a music forum.

I know there are lots of folks using Band in a Box in their church. I have made versions of hymns for my Mom and Dad.

I was alarmed at how the OP seemed so over the top. And of course we battle the age old dilemma of sleeping the the elephant as we call it here. I have heard more gospel music HERE than anywhere else in the last 30 years. And I normally have said nothing. And I have requested that a polite note be put in with some song that has a hidden intention.

Just remember some people believe that God is going to kill you for not being one of them.
And a few others think they should just help God out and end you miserable life now.

The difference between the two is on a few days on the scale of time. Yet for now, you don't agree with the latter of the above. Ponder that for an hour.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I wasn't trying to get off the topic, John. PGF's topic seemed to be that the airplay, or lack thereof, of a Diamond Rio song was another symptom in a war against Christmas supposedly being waged by unnamed secularists. I'm one of those unnamed secularists, and I celebrate Christmas. And, as mentioned, I've clammed up for several years now here, and it just suddenly seemed like the right time to get stuff out and off my chest, once and for all.

I certainly wasn't trying to offend anyone, or take their religion to task, and I apologize if I did offend. I read once that, when it comes down to it, every variety of faith has one member, because no one else can be exactly the same in their head as you are in yours. I think that makes a lot of sense.

Best,
Tom Smith
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I used to be one of the complainers about posting non musical stuff however I changed my position some time ago.Peter is OK with it. Why should I try to change what he's OK with.
I sort of get what John C. is talking about. Religion & belief in God, Jesus etc. are really two totally different things. Since my wife's passing I've had lots of time to think about these things. I do believe in God, Jesus, Heaven, after life etc. What I do have an issue with is the strong dogmatic teachings of religions. I went to Catholic school.If you believe in the Bible the Catholic religion was started by Jesus 2011 + or - years ago.We were told by the nuns that only Catholics go to Heaven.The other Christian religions say the same about their Religion. If you don't accept Jesus as your savior you're not going to Heaven. It's straight to hell.This tells me that every Jew, Muslim, Buddhist,all non Catholics or believers in Jesus born after year 1 are in Hell and that everyone born before that year one are also in hell.Come on do you really believe that.
I remember a little parable that was taught to me in school that I always think about. I can't remember it word for word but I hope you get the jist.

A very wise and learned man was walking the beach contemplating the mystery of the Trinity. He was very impressed with his intellect to figure these things out. He came upon a small boy who was using a small container to gather water and place it in a hole he had dug in the beach. The wise man said " what are you doing little boy"? He replied " I'm going to put the whole ocean into this hole". That's crazy the man replied you can't do that. The boy replied " I will place the whole ocean in this hole before you ever understand the mystery of the blessed trinity"

My point: No one KNOWS the answer. You just need to have faith or not that you will continue on after this life.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Why the big discussion? SPAM!!

Chris
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Nice one, silvertones. As I wrote in my song, I just try to mind my business, clean things up, and get along. There's too much living to be done, too much good to be done, to do otherwise.

And on that note, I need to work on some music.

Best,
Tom Smith
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Snopes says this about that.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

5) We all encounter opinions we disagree with every day. Normally we just disagree. It is only in the arena of faith that people seem to require others to refrain from offering an opinion they don't want to hear. I see this as oppressive and unnecessary.

7) I'm curious to know... do you support censorship in any other arena, or only where matters of faith are concerned? I ask because it has been my experience that the people who protest the loudest about religious liberty are advocates of personal liberty in every other direction. To me that's hypocritical. The right to express an opinion should not be governed by what a small group dislikes. Liberty extends to people of all persuasions.

+1 on both the above points.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
After all the discussion here I just had to listen to the song. I must admit I liked the guitarwork on the one I heard. Apart from that it was the usual patriotic drivel one expects from this type of song. About on the level of one of the alleged emails recieved by Snopes, <quote>
The Dictator Obama, no, no, its President Hitler is saying that is not fit for release because it offends so many. So America, see what you think can we say "CENSORSHIP"
<unquote>
Words fail me.

Last edited by sinbad; 11/23/11 10:24 AM.

Chris
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Here is a song by Diamond Rio, that is being banned by a lot of radio stations.

Personally, I wish folks would take the personal responsibility to research a story before they post it as fact. The story about the Diamond Rio song being banned by radio stations is pure fiction and has been in circulation since 2006 .

I have no problem with people discussing religion or most other topics as long as they stick to the truth. When a falsehood is circulated for the sole purpose of causing division, then it it probably does need to banned. If religion needs to be supported by firing people up with fabricated stories, that pretty much tells you the state of religion. In this case, it is used as a guise for a political statement, not a religious one.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,585
Posts734,718
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197