Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Again, looking to try a new genre with this one.

The musical backdrop started out in b-i-a-b (7.0) and was
then imported into PTPA, 11.0 (4), where I re-recorded everything apart
from the drum track.

It was only after I had composed the whole piece that I realised where I
had heard the chord progression before! Ah well, at least it was ‘borrowed’
subconsciously and not deliberately lifted!
The melody and bridge sections are, however, to the best of my knowledge,
totally original.

Used Audacity at the end to make the final MP3 file.

This game is harder than it looks – in terms of both composition and
delivery.

Any comments welcome as ever. Thanks for taking the time to listen

Marc

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi marc,

This is excellent! Really excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed the way you wove the words, music, and instrumentals together - musicianship plus in my book.

Also, I liked the quasi-electronica sound that you have happening. It suited the whole package.

Kudos to you
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
interesting composition, Marc! I liked the breaks and the Euro accordion sound. I listened all the way through, and I don't usually do that unless the song holds my attention.

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Very cool arrangement nice job. It has a Zappa Feel to it.

Love getting back into biab in 2024
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Great Marc,

New terrain and I love t. It has something familiar in it, but I can't exactly recall...

Anyway: I hope you'll be making more songs in this genre!

Cheers,

Superbron

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
www.soundclick.com/superbron
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Well that was the best three and a half minutes I've spent on here in a while!

Have to agree with ol' Nolly 96 up there - this is excellent.Love it!

It has a feel reminiscent of an old 70's favourite of mine called Lines by The Planets. I think it's mainly the keyboard / accordian thingy, whatever that is.

The similarity ends there however - I think this is a cool song and I shall be playing it lots!

Good luck with it.

Martin

Music is what feelings sound like.
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks so much for these kind comments. They made my day.

Yes Pat particularly at the moment you have to support anything with a Euro sound. We're in big trouble!

JC - I don't know too much about Zappa I'm afraid to say other than his reputation as half-genius half madman. I will check out more of his stuff and will take that as a compliment.

SuperBron, Martin, I could tell you the track I now think is similar but at the risk of losing credibility as an original composer. I guess this chord sequence is in fact not that original. As Martin points out, it does occur in 'Lines' (a tune I do remember if a little vaguely).

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it and thanks again for listening

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
marc,

There's nothing wrong if chord progressions are recycled. While that means that the harmony is not original, it does not mean that your song is uncreative nor unoriginal. There are an awful lot of 3- and 4-chord songs out there that share EXACTLY the same harmony yet each sounds unique.

Personally, I find that starting with an existing chord progression and tweaking it to suit often saves me a whole heap of time when it comes to composing. I am a great supporter of the automatic chord wizard in BIAB/RB.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
I meant nothing detrimental when I mentioned the "Lines" comparison. It was just vaguely similar that's all. Your song stands on it's own for me.

I've written over 200 songs and I'd be very surprised if there's an original chord progression to found in any of them!!

I can remember way back when, learning my first four chords on guitar.
They were G Em C D.

Instantly I could play probably fifty classic songs from Love Hurts to Every Breath You Take without even changing the order!!

Like Noel says, it's what you do with them.

Martin

Music is what feelings sound like.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Marc,

I didn't hear anything overtly identifiable that gives away your subconscious inspiration. Not that I'm a big fan of this genre but I respect some of it.

The story kept my interest. Also liked the way you used very melodic instrument arranging for balance and adding relief to the rhythmic vocal. Cool ending too.

My only suggestion would be (if you should do another one in this genre) that you emphasize the beat just a tad more and also add a recurring melodic vocal phrase to further counterbalance the rhythmic vocal as that seems to be quite popular in this type of music. Would also lengthen the time a bit too. Just a thought.

Nicely done!

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Pretty cool, I like that bass riff and the flute sounds really good. The overly rhythmic vocal line doesn't do a whole for me, but that is just a style preference. You may want to post the lyrics and I would consider titling your thread with the song title "Ribbon of Black" instead of the song's length. That never made much sense to me.

You have pretty smooth composition skills!

Kevin

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Josie Kevin - nice to hear from you.

You're right Josie- that would be a valuable addition (the melodic vocal line, that is). I'll have to see what I can come up with.
IF you want more of it, then it can't have been all that bad!!

Kevin, thanks for the compliment, which I can say - in all honesty - is fully returned.
YEs, my vox on this one are probably too 'mechancial'. A bit metronomic, in fact. The trick is, I think, to have a looser, more colourful delivery but get back to the beat at the key points.

BUt you live and learn. This is a first time attempt for me, so if I ever have another try I'll know which areas to correct.

Marc

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
As promised, you’ll find the video version (i.e. with readable lyrics) of this tune here

And, if you have not already done so and you have a YouTube account, don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I can't say anything bad about a song that ends with bongos.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks David.
One of my golden rules - even if all the rest is useless, work hard on the last few seconds.
Leaves them with a good impression!!

Thanks for listening to the end!

Regards,

Marc

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,466
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195