Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi all...

Just to add my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

I bought BIAB ultra pack in '09. After playing around and around with the RT that came with it I found that I liked using MIDI instead. Shortly after getting the BIAB bundle I took Mac's advice and bought a Ketron sd2... that is what kept me from using the RTs and using MIDI in everything I did and do.

My point being that if you have the right hardware, MIDI is a strong option because if anything, I find working, editing etc much easier. It goes without saying that the Ketron is one fantastic little piece of hardware.

I go back a long time with MIDI... the very first purchace I made back in the early '90's was a Roland "Rap-10" which was then considered to be the best MIDI card on the market and it WAS a great piece of hardware for that era.

One question I have is... has there been any new changes made to BIAB, the program itself, since '09, without the RTs? If so, is it even possible to get just the BIAB software update? Again... just BIAB without any Real Tracks?

Happy New Year!!!

Bobby

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I agree that midi played rather than generated has subtle nuances and that alone is where I stand on my use . I can play piano ,but not great so I edit it to work . My main interest is guitar and selling tracks . So far only RT's have paid money for straight out of the box Biab use , with no added software expense . IMHO

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Lots of midi improvements.

Contact Sales.

Sales end on Jan 1 usually.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Tommy... like you, I'm not a piano player and I'm probably even worse than you. In fact, I can only do anything in the C formation and even then it is a hunt and peck style of playing. Therefore, doing everything in MIDI allows me to slow the song down a lot so that I can enter my lead, piano, fiddle, etc. notes when I bring the song into Sonar. I'm actually only using BIAB for it's styles and usually just for just the bass and drum tracks. Once all the insurments are done in Sonar I then put in my audio tracks... rhythm guitar, vocals, harmony.

I'm using Sonar 8 Producer for the same reason... I can't play piano. And so Sonar allows me to enter the song's key as a number... 0 being C, 2 being D, etc. So... whatever key I pick, I'm able to play in that key in the C formation. Even when the song is shut down and opened again I'm still able to do this. Like I said... I CAN NOT play piano and so this setup works for me. And seeing as I have been using Cakewalk since version 3 was the ultimate music software to have (am I really that old?), I am very comfortable working with it.

John... after a quick look in PG sales I still haven't found the BIAB software as a stand alone... it seems that everything I've seen includes RealTracks with it. Because of the fact that I'm a MIDI kind of guy - I very rarely use RT, mebbe if it came with some new MIDI styles I would investigate. Mebbe I'm looking in the wrong place?

Bobby

Off-Topic
C
Expert
Expert
C
Quote:

But if you hear a live band, a MIDI band and the recording played at the same volume, the live band would have the most punch, followed by the MIDI band and the recording would have the least.

To my ears, if the recorded musicians were good and the recording engineer did a good job, the recording will sound much better than any MIDI sequence through any sound module.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

<...>To my ears, if the recorded musicians were good and the recording engineer did a good job, the recording will sound much better than any MIDI sequence through any sound module.

But it would sound like a good recording, not a good live performance. There is a huge difference between the two. I've done session work and I've done live work from the 1960s to the present, and I play quite differently in the recording studio than I do in a live setting. It's the proverbial apples and oranges.

But the subject of this post is "Unhappy with MIDI sounds" so I'll stay on topic.

There is no doubt that in many cases recording a real instrument sounds better than the MIDI equivalent. Of course that is dependent on the synth. Many recordings and touring bands use synths, and virtually all modern synths are MIDI based. Grand pianos, Rhodes, B-3s, etc.

"Rolling Stone" magazine decided that Edgar Winters' "Frankenstein" was one of the 100 best rock guitar solos, and Edgar did it all on a synth. And today's synths are much better than they were back then. "Rolling Stone" magazine obviously didn't think the synth sounds were bad.

And as I said before, just what is good tone anyway? For electric guitar is it Hendrix? Slash? Les Paul? Van Halen? Joe Pass? Emily Remler? Orianthi? Terry Katy? Johnny Winter? Jeff "Skunk" Baxter? Wes Montgomery? Chuck Berry? Al Di Meola? Carlos Santana? Jeff Beck? Eric Gale? Randy Rhoads? George Benson? Duane Allman? Chet Atkins? Martin Barre? Allan Holdsworth? Scotty Moore? Brad Paisley? Bono? Steve Cropper? Noel Gallagher? Kenny Burrell? B.B. King? Freddie King? Albert King? Eric Clapton? Duane Eddy? Kirk Hammett? Joe Walsh? Peter Frampton? Robben Ford? Robert Fripp? Steve Lukather? I could go on and on.

And on which guitar? Which amp? What FX settings?

The point is that good tone is both variable and subjective. If the synth tone is only 90% there, for all practical purposes it nails it. Of course the $0.99 chip on your sound card isn't 90% there (or even close).

But a good synth module will get tone in that 90%-99% range on most instruments. Other synths will cover the sounds that the first one may lack.

The thing with MIDI is the potential expression is so variable. When the tone is 'in the ballpark' expression becomes more important than tone. And expression varies from musician to musician and even with the same musician it varies from song to song depending on the mood of the song. This is one area where MIDI excels over pre-recorded loops. But it has it's Achilles heel as well. Because it is easy to make a MIDI file, a lot of people make them who don't have the skills to do it right. And like any instrument, some are excellent and some are terrible.

I like MIDI for the ability to express myself musically. To me self-expression is what being a musician is all about. If I want to hear someone else express themselves, I'll put a CD or LP into my playback system at home. I enjoy that as well. But I also love to play music. So working with MIDI allows me to play the computer to get my expression into the music. Even when working with BiaB files exported as MIDI. I can add parts, subtract others and massage them until they represent my expression.

Looking at the number of synth players in pop, country and jazz music to me says that MIDI sounds are excellent. I even went to a classical music concert performed by a world-famous touring orchestra and the Celeste and Organ parts were done on a synthesizer.

You said <<if the recorded musicians were good and the recording engineer did a good job>> but in today's recording studios, many of the instruments used were MIDI instruments in the first place.

So obviously there is nothing wrong with MIDI sounds. There is no such thing as MIDI sounds. MIDI just plays the synth you are using. However there might be something wrong with the synth that many people use to play back the MIDI sounds.

To me music is all about individual expression. I'll forfeit a little sound for a way to put my musical expression into it any day. YMMV

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The answer to the statement in the question is obviously this:
Midi has no sounds.
Midi can be manipulated note by note by a craftsman who, can spend hours on a phrase, send it to some collection of synthophones and have it approximate an instrument as they see it.

Some are here to state they hold their noses at RealTracks and are not shy to advertise, even commercially, that THEIR midi beats any real instrument at realism.

Real Instrument campers don't use midi.

Some people (gasp) use both.

As I stated earlier, some synths like the Roland JV1010 and family can be had for under 50 bucks now. Get one if you use midi.

Of course now that the midi is out of the bag we can start endless threads about how this or that plug in is used ...with this or that amp...stereo vrs mono, and other stuff (yawn).

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff

[Bob] Many people listen to MIDI files on the $0.99 cent synthesizer chip on their sound card. No wonder they dislike the MIDI sounds as the Synth they use to play the sounds is cheesy sounding (What do you expect for a chip that costs less than a dollar?)

==========================================
Bob,

What "synth chip" are you talking about?

Other than "blasts from the past", I can't think of any common "synth chip" around these days...

Some Soundblaster cards have a Creative Hardware synthesizer built-in, but that uses a software synth for its sounds, and can play any SoundFont, including fabulous sounding ones. So its not a 99 cent synth chip, since it has no sounds. And not many people that I know are using SoundBlaster for their MIDI sounds, as they have switched to software synths.

Then there were Adlib and FM chips, but they haven't been around since the 90's
You can read about those for historical value here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiptune

The typical PC that we all use doesn't have any kind of "synth chip" with sounds on it. The MIDI sounds that most people use these days (aside from external MIDI modules) are software synthesizers, which aren't 'chips'. They are sophisticated software. Furthermore, they are VST or DX Instruments, so they play in perfect synch with your files, and the sounds can be rendered to audio easily.

These days, the reality is, you can buy an el-cheapo PC from walmart, install a fabulous software synth, and get state of the art MIDI sounds with almost no latency (<5ms) if you use an ASIO driver.

This latency with software synths (using ASIO) can actually be much ** lower ** than with external MIDI modules, because a MIDI cable takes about 1ms to transmit each note, so that if there are 25 notes (10 note offs, and 15 note ons) at the beginning of a bar, the last note is delivered up to 25ms late, which is noticeably heard as a 'jerk' in the playback. (then there's the hardware synth's latency to add to this). This "slow MIDI cable transmission of notes" doesn't happen on software synths, because the information is not limited by slow MIDI transmission.

For example, if you are using Band-in-a-Box, and use the Coyote Wavetable synth (or the Roland VSC, or the Coyote Forte), you aren't using any kind of "synth chip" on your sound card. Most people don't even have sound cards, let alone synth chips on them.

So, please let us know, since most of your posts refer to this "99 cent synth chip" that is present in a typical PC, what are you talking about????

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Off-Topic
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
It didn't take me long to realize that sound card sounds were bad - really bad.

However, finding a good sound depends on the instrument being modeled. Pianos are probably done better than other instruments - because they are the easiest to model.

Instruments such as horns (probably the hardest) and other instruments that are totally controlled by the human body are extremely difficult. A guitarist's fingers have immense control over sound. Likewise the horn player has immense control and can affect many subtle variations on the sound with fingers, breathing and lips.

Control of these aspects with MIDI are complex enough to be approaching the impossible. The static continuous sound is one thing, but the nuances of horns and (particularly) guitars are another matter.

There are piano simulations that are good enough to fool many people all the time, and most people quite often.

I'm not optimistic that many other instruments will be as easily modeled as the piano.

Glenn

Off-Topic
A
Apprentice
Apprentice
A
Well listening to Notes Norton example of midi

http://www.nortonmusic.com/mp3/Sweet_Home_Chicago_M128.mp3

and the biab realtracks demo

http://nn.pgmusic.com/pgfiles/jazzu/misc/BluesEPianoGuitar.WMA

I feel that the realtracks win hands down the Notes Notes example especially the drums sound too mid to me (though in certain genre of music such as dance that may be a good thing)

Just my opinion,

Axey

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Well listening to Notes Norton example of midi ... I feel that the realtracks win hands down the Notes Notes example especially the drums sound too mid to me -- Axey

In all fairness to "Notes", he is not presenting his midi file as a "record/album" example. He is showing it as an example of a backing track where at least two instruments are playing live. Having live instruments mixed in with midi always makes the midi sound better (fools the ears). I am listening to his "Sweet Home Chicago" track and it is really good. I like RT's better, but I understand why folks like midi better -- you have total control (if you are so inclined).

Kevin

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

The typical PC that we all use doesn't have any kind of "synth chip" with sounds on it.
For example, if you are using Band-in-a-Box, and use the Coyote Wavetable synth (or the Roland VSC, or the Coyote Forte), you aren't using any kind of "synth chip" on your sound card. Most people don't even have sound cards, let alone synth chips on them.

So, please let us know, since most of your posts refer to this "99 cent synth chip" that is present in a typical PC, what are you talking about????

Ok, now I'm completely confused Peter. Of course every PC sold has a soundchip on the motherboard, where do you think the Windows sounds comes from? Unless I'm way offbase here, the Coyote Wavetable is only a piece of code to allow the built in MS Wavetable (the one built into every PC) to act as a DXi but the actual sounds themselves are still just the basic .99c chip Notes is talking about (it may be much less than .99c it could only be a few pennies).

Are you now saying that's not the case, the Coyote Wavetable actually has its own soundset separate from the MS Wavetable?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
A followup Peter from Wikipedia:

Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth. The Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth included in versions of Direct X as an integral part of DirectMusic is a version of the Roland Virtual Sound Canvas with GS sound set licensed by Microsoft from Roland Corporation in 1996.[1] The wavetable file about 3 MiB in size is named "GM.DLS" which tells us that the wavetable is in DLS format.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/28

Note the opening sentence Today all motherboards have an embedded soundcard...

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
@jazzmammal,

Peter's definition of "synth chip" is on the money. There is no dedicated sound synthesizer chip. The MS GS Wavetable SW Synth is a software synthesizer. A very small sample set, the GM.DLS, is a lookup table of samples stored in a file, not in RAM or ROM. It's a software synthesizer of the sample playback variety, not a hardware synth.

While all MOBOs these days do in fact have an on-board sound chip of some type, they do not have 'synthesizer' chips on them, which based on some kind of command will generate sounds via dedicated oscillator chips.

Contrast this with some of the soundblaster cards of the past, add-on cards inserted into slots, which had dedicated synthesizer chips on-board.

These days, there really is no need for any of the dedicated DSP for sample playback. Playback of sound samples continues to become lighter weight tasks for modern era processing capability.

-Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Awww, picky, picky, picky. Got it now.

This reminds me of that discussion a few months ago about the technical definition of "soundcard" and how everything in the last few years except a Soundblaster is not a soundcard but rather an interface. Since I was one of those arguing for the correct usage of terms, I stand corrected.

Bob

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
There is no MIDI synth on a motherboard, hence no 99 cent synth chip

The DSP functionality on the motherboard is to process already prepared
Audio, not synthesize it from MIDI.

So in a discussion about lousy MIDI sounds, there's no blame to be put on the motherboard or an imagined 99 cent synth chip.

If you aren't using an external MIDI module, the MIDI sounds from your PC are coming from software synthesizers.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sorry to be out of the loop for a day or so -- gigs and family -- I've been delightfully busy!

Seems I'm behind the times. The chip is gone and we have a software synth in modern computers. I guess I have to get out more.

If my computers are any example, software or hardware, the built in MIDI software sounds in my PCs and Mac are still cheesy.

I never said the MIDI sounds are better than the Real Tracks sounds. In fact, I have repeatedly say that MIDI has no sounds, but MIDI synthesizers play the sounds in the way that the MIDI data instructions tell them to. A good MIDI synthesizer can come close to the RT sounds. If you spend enough money the MIDI sounds would be even better than the acoustic instrument sounds, at least according to all the synth players who play on major recordings and in major concerts.

What I say is:
  1. If you have a good sound card, the MIDI sounds are definitely 'good enough' and coupled with the ability to edit the MIDI data, you can create something that is impossible to create with audio loops. Like the example where I changed the 3 notes in the bass line to match the horns that I added. With RTs that turn around would be impossible. I also changed the bass to a walking bass in the solo section when a walking bass was not in the style. Another impossibility with audio loops without changing the sound of the bass.
  2. We musicians have trained ears and care a lot about tone. The general public does not, they care more about expression, and that is where MIDI has it's advantage -- you can play with the tracks to get more expression. If the public cared about tone, Stevie Nicks, Rod Stewart, Doctor John, Bob Dylan, Blossom Dearie, Leon Redbone, John Lennon, Louis Armstrong, John Coltrane, Maynard Ferguson, and thousands of others would have never reached stardom. I know somebody is going to say, "I like Coltrane's tone" and that's just the point. Tone is in the ear of the listener. I think Luciano Pavarotti had a much better voice than either José Carreras or Plácido Domingo, but others would disagree. I think Stan Getz has much better tone than John Coltrane. Others disagree. The majority of the general public could care less, they just like or dislike the music that they make -- their personal expression is what moves the audience.
  3. Playing for a recording and playing live are two different ways of playing. With MIDI tracks you can optimize your song for live performance
  4. Pr-recorded tracks are mixed and mastered for a recording, MIDI tracks have more separation, the result is the loops can sound like karaoke while the MIDI tracks do not.

They both have their uses. If I was sending a songwriting demo off to Nashville, I'd use Real Tracks as I know many of the people are opposed to MIDI demos. If I was making a backing track to play live over I'd use MIDI tracks.

I think what Peter Gannon and the crew have done with the Real Tracks is simply amazing. But like any looping software, you can only go so far with it. Your own personal creativity is limited. You cannot change or edit any of the notes in the pre-recorded audio.

I've been working with MIDI since the 1980s. When loops became popular I bought some looping software and some loops from the big companies that advertise in Keyboard and Electronic Musician magazines. At first I was impressed by the tone. But in a while the honeymoon was over when I found that I couldn't do what I wanted to do with them. I couldn't change anything about the loops, just rearrange them. It was like making a collage out of a finite set of clippings. What I wanted to do simple things like change a few bass notes? Set the high note in the horn part up an octave? What if I wanted to delete a few notes? What if I wanted to do something more complex? Can't do it. I bought music software to PLAY it and PLAY WITH it. I suppose not everybody is like me. I also like to play other people's music, and that is what I have a CD/DVD player for. But when I'm making music, I want my own personal ideas and my own personal expression to come through. I want to play with it. That's why they call it playing music.

The title of this thread is "Unhappy with MIDI sounds". I say that

• MIDI can be almost as good as real sounds played in a good synthesizer
  • The public cares more about expression than they do about the finer points of tone
  • MIDI can represent your own personal musical expression more than pre-recorded loops can

Summary: I like MIDI better as (a) I know the public cares more about expression than tone and (b) I think the ability to put my own personal expression into the music far outweighs any difference in the tone between my moderately priced MIDI synths and the pre-recorded loops, YMMV

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The general public does not care one hoot about your perfect turn around or that signature lick. I can play A Whiter Shade of Pale and get thanked for my rendition solo on a piano and people love it and compliment it. And each time I do it 'new'.

I'm no where near the original.

It's like the rule in Karaoke. One person in ten can sing well and 1 in 20 can really catch you up in the thing. I just leave, but heck I have been on the road and stuck in some bar at 9 when it starts up with no alternative in sight. (Now that I've had my kids teach me an android phone I just go outside, grab a gps signal and ask the phone what's close and who's playing. Very useful)

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Spend time on your own notes. In the end it's your job to sell it. I have lots of M. Buble's CD's and can tell you, I don't remember the 'turnarounds' or the horns. They are there, but his words, inflection, and sense of good time come through. If you can't be up front and have less than the perfect everytime bass line you wrote, pray tell what software are you going to use? I suppose it's all in some DAW. Lots of fun.

I like Band in a Box because my set lists move around. And I don't have to spend hours on a lick. I like it that way. And that's how it should be marketed. We are losing sight of what the program is supposed to do, and starting to cater to special interests.

It is supposed to work OUT OF THE BOX. Well enough to do what it claims.

If the future was MIDI you'd see lots of new stuff for MIDI. But it's going the other way.

Within 5 years all computers will be touch screen, tablet shaped or folded up, have wireless multiple ways, AND Band in a Box will run on a new revamped touch interface. And midi will be a memory. I may not be here to see it but I'd bet my lowest loonie, or bottom dollar in the US that our music stands and computers will mesh and there will be no cables at all required if you have a wireless mic. Wireless transmission of music and data, controlled by something you stuff in your pocket.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
R
Bob your points are certainly valid, to a degree. Where i disagree is where you make a finite statement. The net is full of karaoke midi files. Van Basco and many other sites, to name at least one. even with a top notch synth these have a distinctive midi sound, the drums hits are right on, the piano chops are perfect, the guitar is perfect, the electric guitar bends are midish sounding. Try to get a backing vocal sound from a midi file the oohs and aahs start and stop robotish.

All of this can be reworked, and tweaked, fiddled with, and much can be made to be more human, but it will never sound 100% human played. Your song is a perfect example, the piano chops chink chink chink are in absolute perfect timing, not capable of the variables that Peter RT had, that sound like a classic rock piano track being enjoyed, playing in the mix. There are some sounds that will always sound a bit mechanical. Pedal steel, electric guitar, vocal harmonies, Harmonica's to name a few.

Played live with two good musicians it can sound pretty good. I also think comparing a recorded song to having RTs in a song bed is apples and oranges. I did a song last night and over layed a Brent mason solo using the new multi riff feature and i was stunned at the results. I have a version of an old Classic country swing type song using a midi bass, and adding three RTS the results are incredible, it sound like a modern hot country band. The blending of RTs used with moderation along with well chosen midi tacks, and a few tossed in personally played live tracks can be a very successful product.

I just think it is a bit narrow viewed to say one is better than the other, and kind of like saying a hammer is better than a saw. That might be true until you need to cut the board.

Last edited by Robh; 01/04/12 12:08 PM.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,582
Posts734,694
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 198