Thank you Marr for your understanding .

Regards,
Greg

Off-Topic
C
Journeyman
Journeyman
C
Since all the MIDI GURUS seem to be watching this forum thought I'd post here for some advice.

Just got a Yamaha EZ 200 MIDI keyboard, in my price range, very nice sounds and I think will be a good start for a non player like myself to get into MIDI.
Only drawback is the lack of a Pitch Bend Wheel.

I assume Pitch Bending can be done somehow in the Realband Piano Roll Window?

Any "simple" advice on how to accomplish this or direction to a tutorial will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Carkins

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Since all the MIDI GURUS seem to be watching this forum thought I'd post here for some advice.

Just got a Yamaha EZ 200 MIDI keyboard, in my price range, very nice sounds and I think will be a good start for a non player like myself to get into MIDI.
Only drawback is the lack of a Pitch Bend Wheel.

I assume Pitch Bending can be done somehow in the Realband Piano Roll Window?

Any "simple" advice on how to accomplish this or direction to a tutorial will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Carkins

Hi Carkins...
1) go to this thread and read it
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.p...;gonew=1#UNREAD

2) on the picture there is a drop-down list box that says CONTROL... using that same list box, there is another option called PITCH BEND

3) follow the instructions in the above thread to see how to change the amount of pitc bend
(you do it by changing the numbers in the lower pane of the piano roll)

hope this helps

Off-Topic
C
Journeyman
Journeyman
C
Thanks Pat,
Much appreciated.
Carkins

Off-Topic
C
Journeyman
Journeyman
C
Maybe I'm trying the wrong thing in the Realband Piano Roll.

What I would like to do is generate or play on my Yamaha keyboard (no Pitch Wheel),a midi guitar part and then be able to bend the notes (or "strings") ala BB King blues or using a whammy bar in certain parts.

I thought Pitch Bend was what I wanted but maybe not?
Don't have the USB/MIDI cord yet so have to use Realband to generate the MIDI for now.

Generated a Midi Solo (Barney K Blues Guitar) using a Distorted Midi Guitar Patch
Opened the Piano Roll, selected Pitch Bend from the View Edit.
Went to the bottom window and drew all sorts of curves (using Control+Shift pen tool )below a variety of notes.
On playing them back I could notice no bending effect?

Are the Midi Solos blocked from changing them?
Do I have to remove or zero out some number somewhere to allow the Pitch Bend to work or am I using the wrong Edit selection?
Do I need to use a variety of selections to get that string bending sound?

Thanks for your patience,
Carkins

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Carkins,

what you did should have worked. I'm out of town at the moment, so I can't get to my music computer to verify what works. If somebody else doesn't reply, I'll get back to you on this sometime over the weekend.

Speaking from memory:
In pitch bend mode, there should be a straight line down the middle of the lower pane. That represents the nominal pitch. In order to make a bend, you need more than one click . One click will just change the pitch of the whole part and leave it there.

For a guitar-like pitch bend, you need a whole series of clicks that ends up forming a curve or line under the MIDI note you want to bend. Immediately after bending, you should click back on the nominal line to restore the pitch to the the "unbent" note.

To bend UP, you start at the nominal line, and make an arc of clicks ABOVE it, each click progressively higher than the one before it. How high you go depends on how much of a bend you want to simulate. Realistically, a guitar rarely bends more than a full step

Likewise, To bend DOWN, you start at the nominal line, and make an arc of clicks BELOW it, with each click progressively LOWER than the one before it.

Don't forget to click on the centerline after the bend, or the passage will sound out of key.

Make sure you are adding pitch bend to the right track. Even though you can see the MIDI notes from your guitar track, it is possible to be adding your pitch bends to a different channel. Look at the picture in the previous thread again... there are list boxes where you can select the track and channel. Make sure they both match the track and channel of your guitar track. If you did add it to the wrong place, easiest place to change it without doing it over is in the events list. Just edit the track/channel and leave the bends as-is.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Greg, I have a fair amount of understanding about learning disabilities because my long time lady is a retired teacher and she earned her Masters in children with learning disabilities and has written a book about it called Parents In Control. At the time she was one of three people taking that program in the entire state of California. She has become an unofficial consultant to a lot of parents in the neighborhood with small children. Like so many wannabe authors just like so many musicians she's not yet been able to publish it but I've read it and there's good stuff in it. If you would like please feel free to PM (private mail) me and I'll walk you through getting this set up. All you do is click on my username and at the bottom of the page that opens up click on "send a private message".

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

<...>I clicked on the "How I make my backing tracks and how I use them on stage" link in your thread.

This is not my gig; it won't be my gig. But I not only bookmarked that, I saved it, in case you take it down. Anybody that asks me about that gig gets your link, along with "This guy's really successful. Here's his method. It would be a great starting point for you."

I was astonished at your generosity in posting that on the internet. Among other things, I realized that any / all of your competitors could read and apply that knowledge.<...>

I come from a generation of sharing. Back when musicians met face to face and shared our secrets, it benefited everybody. I remember when I was 18 an older sax player teaching me how to get that buzz tone on the sax. In the 80s I remember asking another musician "What is a sequencer?". I could go on and on. The Internet hasn't changed that. It just expanded it. You can go to YouTube and get free guitar/sax/violin/theory/etc. lessons.

The best way to pay back the people who have been generous and shared information with me is to pass it on to others.

If it helps others the way others have helped me, it's a good thing.

And my competitors are free to use the info. Hopefully our vocal skills and my multi-instrumentalist skills on stage will still keep us one notch above the rest.

Carkins, the info Pat Marr related to you should be helpful. A little practice at that method and you should be able to make realistic guitar bends.

A few points about my observations about my own guitar playing. (1) I bend up more often than I bend down. (2) When I bend down, I usually do so on the first note of a phrase (3) when using vibrato with my fretting hand, the pitch goes from zero to higher pitch and never lower than zero (4) when using the whammy bar for vibrato it goes from zero to lower pitch and never higher than zero (although my guitar does have the option for a floating whammy bar, I have it locked in the traditional down only position).

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
C
Journeyman
Journeyman
C
Thanks Pat and Notes for the info.

Following your leads I was able to get the Pitch Bend to work rather crudely, but I'm sure that practice, practice, practice will eventually get me to the alley next to Carnegie Hall.

Is there a way to copy and paste bends I like to other notes in the Piano Roll or in some other Window?
I notice some of the notes in the "Barney K Blues Guitar Midi Solo" already have bends I'd like to duplicate.

Can these bend dynamics be saved to apply to future projects and if so where?

Also a WARNING (also mentioned by several others in another BIAB forum post below which I read too late)to those who are thinking of ordering the inexpensive USB/MIDI cord on amazon to connect their Yamaha midi keyboard to either Win XP or Win 7
DON"T WASTE YOUR MONEY IT DOES NOT WORK!:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XTX09S/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Better off ordering one of those recommended in this recent BIAB post "Slightly OT: Where to Buy a USB-MIDI Cable That Works?"

Thanks again for all you do,
Carkins

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

To answer the first question I would answer no I am not flustering the people but sometime miss the point.

To Further explain my self...

Greg,
Way too much to read, but I did scan it and I do understand. We all have our crosses in life to bear and you should and will find proper respect and help here in the forum. Ask away and we will take good care of you here. Welcome to the forum.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Is there a way to copy and paste bends I like to other notes in the Piano Roll or in some other Window?
Carkins

that's a good question... I've never tried it. Best way to see if it works would be to try it on a project that doesn't matter if it doesn't work as planned. If you look at the sample you like and try to recreate that same pattern in your song, it may work.

a couple of other ways to introduce string bends:

1) if you have a whammy pedal, you can run the output of the guitar track thru the whammy and record the whammy pedal's output to another audio channel. That way you could change the pitch in real time while listening to the music and you'd probably get a better sounding bend.

2) You can buy programmable MIDI pedals like the Roland EV-5 that can be used in place of the pitch wheel when you record your MIDI. The same pedal can be used to control volume, pitch, modulation, etc etc (not all at the same time though) In order to use it, you need at least one device in your MIDI chain that accepts a pedal.

3) use real tracks that include bends

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Realband has a feature under Actions called "Realtime control' which is a virtual slider/pitchwheel option. Dunno if you noticed that, or if you are working in RB or BiaB ..

You should be able to edit-copy and use the data filter to copy just CC's you want, or any other data for that matter.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Realband has a feature under Actions called "Realtime control' which is a virtual slider/pitchwheel option. Dunno if you noticed that, or if you are working in RB or BiaB ..

You should be able to edit-copy and use the data filter to copy just CC's you want, or any other data for that matter.

I never noticed that before... thanks.. I'll check it out

-------OLD DOG-O-METER---------
OLD TRICKS______/_NEW TRICKS

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I notice that the realtime control doesn't seem to change anything while I'm playing... but after the fact in piano roll mode, I can record over a track and add only the real time CC bends, and when I quit and save it, the bends appear in the piano roll. its actually a pretty good way to add pitch bends... much more intuitive than drawing them in with the mouse.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You also might try using a Pedal Controller http://www.midisolutions.com/prodped.htm

I've had a Footswitch Controller from MIDI Solutions for well over 10 years and it has operated flawlessly since the day I received it.

You could hook the MIDI outputs of your Keyboard and the Pedal Controller into the inputs of a MIDI Merger http://www.midisolutions.com/prodmrg.htm and the output into your computer via a MIDI-USB interface.

Then you could use a pedal connected to your Pedal Controller to create Pitch Bends or any other continuous controller effect you want in real time while you are playing the keyboard.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi all,
I tried the demo of Coyote Forte a long time ago and don't remember if I liked it that much. I bought the TTS-1, the cakewalk softsyth. I like it somewhat. I still always liked the VSC and the Real SC-55.

Can anyone post a link to anything they have recorded using the Coyote Forte DXI. I would love to hear the sound again before I pay the $40. They won't let me demo it a second time and I have no reference to what the sounds were like. Anything simple with Drums, Bass, Piano and strings would be great.

Thank you, Wayne,

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Hi all,
I tried the demo of Coyote Forte a long time ago and don't remember if I liked it that much. I bought the TTS-1, the cakewalk softsyth. I like it somewhat. I still always liked the VSC and the Real SC-55.

Can anyone post a link to anything they have recorded using the Coyote Forte DXI. I would love to hear the sound again before I pay the $40. They won't let me demo it a second time and I have no reference to what the sounds were like. Anything simple with Drums, Bass, Piano and strings would be great.

Thank you, Wayne,

Here's a page Peter Gannon set up recently to show the differences between some of the commonly used synths

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=347191&page=0&fpart=all&vc=1

You can hear the same song(s) played through the VSC and the forte (as well as some other heavy hitters)

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,477
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195