Go To
#142375 12/20/11 12:21 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
S
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
S
I love the idea of thew new Woodshed tempo feature, but can't get it to work. I set the woodshed tempo for "up" and 10, but song does not speed up when it loops. Anyone tried this yet?

Am I missing something?

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
It has worked for others Sam.

1. When you press Play, a yellow message should appear at the top right of the screen, to remind you that Woodshed tempo is on.

2. Then, if you just press play, it won't increase tempo until the entire song finishes.
If you select a region (on the main chordsheet), and then press play-loop, it will increase for each of those loops.

Are you seeing the message in #1?

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Sam, to set the "woodshed" tempos, select (from the top line menu) "Opt, Preferences" (or press the PREF button on the toolbar). Then select the "Arrange" tab.

Over on the right side of the options that pop up, about half-way down, you'll see the "woodshed" options. There are three settings you can make.

"Woodshed Tempo By" - sets how many bpm you want to increase each time the song plays (or the loop repeats). So, if the song starts at 90, then the next time through, it will be 100.

"Mode" - this gives you three options. 1) "Up" just keeps going up by your "woodshed tempo by" until you reach the maximum tempo allowed by BIAB (500 BPM) and then just stays there (at 500 BPM). 2) "Up/Reset to Base/Up" keeps going up by your "woodshed tempo by" until you reach the maximum tempo increase you specify, and then returns to the base tempo and starts going back up again. 3) "Up, Then Down" keeps going up by your "woodshed tempo by" amount until you reach the maximum tempo increase you specify, then starts going back down to the base tempo, then starts all over again going up and down.

So, if your songs has a base tempo of 85, and you set the "by" amount to 10, and the max amount to 30, and the "mode" to "Up Then Down", then highlight a selection to loop and click the "loop" (not to be confused by the "loops") button, your tempos will change as:

85 - 95 - 105 - 115 - 105 - 95 - 85 and then do it all over again.

Hope that helps, and it worked just fine in my testing.

By the way, when you are finished with the woodshed feature, you need to go back into the "arrange" screen and reset the "by" amount to zero, otherwise all your songs will do this. When you start playing, there is a yellow box that pops up to remind you that the woodshed feature is engaged. If you click on the yellow box before it disappears, you can also turn it off that way.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
S
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
S
Quote:

It has worked for others Sam.

1. When you press Play, a yellow message should appear at the top right of the screen, to remind you that Woodshed tempo is on.

2. Then, if you just press play, it won't increase tempo until the entire song finishes.
If you select a region (on the main chordsheet), and then press play-loop, it will increase for each of those loops.

Are you seeing the message in #1?

Peter, when I was testing it I could not get it to function, but I don't remember seeing the yellow message or not. I did not reset to 0, and later in the day when I was with a student and playing a song, it started to speed up every time the song looped - not really when I wanted, but at least it worked.

I will try to replicate the non-functioning woodshed tempo with the same song I originally tested with tomorrow when i go back to the studio.

Thanks...

S
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
S
Quote:

Sam, to set the "woodshed" tempos, select (from the top line menu) "Opt, Preferences" (or press the PREF button on the toolbar). Then select the "Arrange" tab.

Over on the right side of the options that pop up, about half-way down, you'll see the "woodshed" options. There are three settings you can make.

"Woodshed Tempo By" - sets how many bpm you want to increase each time the song plays (or the loop repeats). So, if the song starts at 90, then the next time through, it will be 100.

"Mode" - this gives you three options. 1) "Up" just keeps going up by your "woodshed tempo by" until you reach the maximum tempo allowed by BIAB (500 BPM) and then just stays there (at 500 BPM). 2) "Up/Reset to Base/Up" keeps going up by your "woodshed tempo by" until you reach the maximum tempo increase you specify, and then returns to the base tempo and starts going back up again. 3) "Up, Then Down" keeps going up by your "woodshed tempo by" amount until you reach the maximum tempo increase you specify, then starts going back down to the base tempo, then starts all over again going up and down.

So, if your songs has a base tempo of 85, and you set the "by" amount to 10, and the max amount to 30, and the "mode" to "Up Then Down", then highlight a selection to loop and click the "loop" (not to be confused by the "loops") button, your tempos will change as:

85 - 95 - 105 - 115 - 105 - 95 - 85 and then do it all over again.

Hope that helps, and it worked just fine in my testing.

By the way, when you are finished with the woodshed feature, you need to go back into the "arrange" screen and reset the "by" amount to zero, otherwise all your songs will do this. When you start playing, there is a yellow box that pops up to remind you that the woodshed feature is engaged. If you click on the yellow box before it disappears, you can also turn it off that way.

Thanks, John - but I did read the manual and knew all that - it just didn't work. As I told Peter in another message, it started working later with another song - I will try to replicate the problem tomorrow. Thanks.

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I love the idea of thew new Woodshed tempo feature, but can't get it to work. I set the woodshed tempo for "up" and 10, but song does not speed up when it loops. Anyone tried this yet?

Am I missing something?

Sam, my response (which was not copy/paste from the manual) was based on the limited amount of information you gave. I personally tested each feature (to double check it on my machine, since I like this feature also, and it works exactly as advertised. So if it doesn't work now, the problem is somewhere else on your machine.

Let us know how your continued testing proceeds and good luck.

And again, remember to turn it off when you're done, or you'll be in for a surprise the 2nd time through the song.

John

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

S
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
S
Tried it today - yellow message pops up but no change in tempo as song loops. Tried it with several different songs, no luck.

I'm stymied...

Does increase in tempo happen after each loop of CHORUS, or only after entire song (with all choruses) loops?
I tried it both ways, to no avail.

Last edited by Sam Kanter; 12/21/11 05:13 PM.
S
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
S
I thought woodshed would increase tempo every time a chorus looped, i.e. 16 bars repeated 6 times. But it only seems to work when a song is completed, stops, and starts again - unless one has highlighted a section and pressed loop feature.

Caveat is that I could swear that one time tempo was increasing every time a chorus looped, when it was working inadvertently.

Can anyone clear this up?

Veteran
Veteran
It has always worked for me as you describe in the second sentence of your post.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
S
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
S
TEST:

I just made a song four bars, 1 chord each bar. Chorus repeats 4 times.
Woodshed tempo set to 20, UP.

Hit play - yellow message lights up, but no change in tempo each time song loops.

What am I missing here? This test has been done on two different systems, same results.

If I highlight the four bars and hit loop button, it will increase 20 BPM every time it plays.

S
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
S
Called PG CS, he confirmed that woodshed feature does NOT work when chorus repeats - only if highlighted and looped, or entire song finishes, stops, and starts again.

I knew I wasn't crazy! :-)

Veteran
Veteran
That's exactly what Peter said in the second post, #2.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
S
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
S
Matt, there's some confusion when using the words song, loop, repeats, etc.

I thought it would change tempo every time a CHORUS repeated, but this is not the case.

I get it now - to use woodshed, you must highlight section or entire song, then hit loop-play button. OR, you can let entire song finish (with chorus repetitions), and then start over again for tempo increase to begin.

It will NOT increase tempo when choruses repeat.

Sound right?

Veteran
Veteran
If you don't want the choruses to repeat, then just temporarily set the chorus count to "1". Each chorus is considered part of the song - remember, the song can start with any number of bars and the chorus can start on any bar number, and you can always jump out of the chorus to the tag ending, and then there's the two-bar ending. Where in the middle of that would the song change tempo without finishing the whole song?

When you do the whole song, make sure the loop checkbox is checked, otherwise, it won't go back and play the song at the new tempo.

I hope that made sense.

John

S
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
S
Quote:

If you don't want the choruses to repeat, then just temporarily set the chorus count to "1". Each chorus is considered part of the song - remember, the song can start with any number of bars and the chorus can start on any bar number, and you can always jump out of the chorus to the tag ending, and then there's the two-bar ending. Where in the middle of that would the song change tempo without finishing the whole song?

When you do the whole song, make sure the loop checkbox is checked, otherwise, it won't go back and play the song at the new tempo.

I hope that made sense.

Problem is, I wouldn't want the count-in to start every loop, just a continuing, speeding up song.

Since I do need a count-in, can anyone think of a way that count-in would be at the beginning, then the song would continuously loop, speeding up every repetition?

I mainly want to use this feature as a background to technique exercises for students that speed up with every repeat. I used to do this manually, with cutting and pasting the song 10 times, manually changing tempos at appropriate bars.

S
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
S
Getting a clicking sound when highlighting and looping four bars (using woodshed feature or not). Click happens at beginning of first bar. Anyone else have this issue?

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,392
Posts732,471
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195