#14316 02/12/09 07:55 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
W
Wyndham Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
W
One of the harder parts for me is finding a style for some songs. I have some 1728 styles and it's a bit overwhelming.
Could someone suggest a style for "Angel From Montgomery"
I thought some of the folk or blues simple guitar might work but no luck so far.
It's not a must have, but if any have some ideas, please let me know.
Thanks Wyndham

T
Apprentice
Apprentice
T
Well, it helps if you can mention who is the artist and or version of this song... A lot of times, you may not find something that is an exact match, but you gotta go with something in the ballpark...

Journeyman
Journeyman
Was that John Hyatt or John Prine?

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

One of the harder parts for me is finding a style for some songs. I have some 1728 styles and it's a bit overwhelming.

How to find Styles that fit your particular song.

*Start the song playing back after checking the "Loop" checkbox in the mainscreen. Doesn't matter at this point what style it is, but it is a good idea to start with all MIDI styles because they load instantly (RealTracks styles take too much time to load. RealTracks styles will be preceded by a '=' sign or an underscore "_" in their filename and will always appear at the top of the alphanumerical listing in the Stylepicker's center window. Just scroll past those for now.).

*Open the Stylepicker.

*First thing to do is find any style that has proper *timing* FEEL and METER for the target song that is playing back. You can usually narrow down the possible choices quite a lot by taking advantage of the subgroup listings over on the lefthand side of the Stylepicker window.

*At this point I usually like to set the dropdown selection under the "Show Styles by 'Feel' and 'Tempo' to "Show all style rhythms" -- unless the original style that is already playing is close to what I want. These are powerful filters here. So powerful that unless and until you have identified this important part of the equation, they can actually hide styles that you would want to try. More on this in a minute.

*Make sure that the "Preview on doubleclick" near the bottom center is checked. This is the power here, doubleclicking on any MIDI only style, you can almost instantly hear it playing your chords and decide right away if it is a good fit or not.

*Once you find a Style that is "near" what you want to hear, take advantage of the "Feel and Tempo" dropdown to limit the possiblities in the upper center window some more. Go with the "If feel matches prototype" first, unless you are certain of the song's BPM tempo (good idea to note that before the Stylepicker is opened). If you are certain that the song will be locked into a certain tempo, then by all means narrow down the choices further by selecting "If feel and tempo matches prototype".

*Whenever I find a style that fits at all, I make a note of that using Notepad, but I don't stop there. Maybe there's a better fit in another style somewhere further down the list. So I keep trying selections, filtering both automatically using those tips above and also by using the "filter" between my ears as I read the style name and description by single clicking down the list while the song is playing. Of course, I doubleclick on every seemingly viable candidate.

*Don't neglect use of the "Search" feature in the Stylepicker, either. You can type in a single word there and find all instances of it by clicking on the G next to it while the song plays. And if you've already selected a subfolder on the LH side, it will only search through there first instead of "All Styles". Sometimes you can type in a group's name, too, like "beatle" or the like because of the memo notes associated with each style. Or you might type in "shuffle" if you know that your song has a shuffle feel to it. Things like that work well to narrow the candidates down quite a bit. "Ballad" may be another example, or "Folk" or "Pop" or whatever you can think of that may describe the song in question. Every once in a while, even the NAME of the song may do the trick, just type in one word of the name, though, picking the most useful word for such searching.

Using the above method it does not take as long as one might think to isolate if there are any styles that can be made to work with your song.

And, of course, once the Feel, Tempo and type of style has been found, go back over the list in Notepad using the same Play on Doubleclick "auditioning" to narrow that down to one style you like.

After you find the style is the time to start trying RealInstruments or RealStyles that may work also. Using the "Fits Feel and Tempo" filter can even narrow down those RealStyle candidates in a hurry.

AND -- The above is exactly what I would have to do for you to tell you which style might work with your particular target song today, but only after I could HEAR a recorded example of that song first. And BIAB is designed so that you can do all that for yourself. So get started. The more you do this and practice it, the faster you will be able to narrow down style selections in the future.

--Mac

W
Wyndham Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
W
Thanks Mac, the artist is John Prine as done by Bonnie Ratt . Thanks for the tutorial on style picking, there's a lot of info there to absorb, Wyndham

Journeyman
Journeyman
I have been listening to John Prine for years, back to the Dear Abby, days. I think you could start with a blank chord sheet and plug in the chords. I think they both use a capo on the 2nd fret. I plugged in the chords below, and added RT acoustic guitars in one at a time and got a good feel for the song. The RT's won't have the exact phrasing as they did of course, but with vocals added, it would sound good. RT acoustic fingerpicking #522 sounds like many of his songs did, and you could pan one to 23 and the other to -23 and it sounds real good. #375, 365 and 522 sound good. I used # 375 and #533 panned apart, and you could add some bass to your liking. I don't think there were drums in the versions I heard. I really like "In spite of ourselves" by John. It is so funny. I used the following chords, but with the capo on 2, that would really be Bb? for the sake of accuracy?

Try #368 and #522 together with some bass at about 97bpm.. It is close, but not John, of course. . .

Intro: / G – C - / x4
G C G C
I am an old woman named after my mother,
G C D (G)
My old man is another child that's grown old.
G C G C
If dreams were lightning and thunder was desire,
G C D (G)
This old house would've burnt down a long time ago.
Chorus:
G F C G
Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery.
G F C (G)
Make me a poster of an old rodeo.
G F C G
Just give me one thing that I can hold on to.
G C D (G) (x2)
To believe in this living is just a hard way to go.

G C G C
When I was a young girl I had me a cowboy,

G C D (G)
He weren’t much to look at, just a free ramblin' man.

G C G C
But that was a long time, and no matter how I try,

G C D (G)
These dreams go by like a broken-down dam.

Chorus
G C G C
There's flies in the kitchen, I can hear ‘em there buzzin'

G C D (G)
and I ain't done nothin' since I woke up today.

G C G C

How the hell can a person go to work in the mornin’

G C D (G)
and come home in the evenin' and have nothin' to say?

Chorus

G C (hold) D (hold) G (hold)
To believe in this living is just a hard way to go.

Good Luck

Last edited by Luvs3rds; 02/12/09 10:02 PM.
W
Wyndham Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
W
Thanks, I had found those chords on one site and started looking for styles. I like the the different RT's that you used. I'll see what I come up with,thanks again Wyndham

W
Wyndham Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
W
Luvs3rds, you mentioned 2 rt's that I don't have. I thought i had them all but you mentioned #522 &533 and was wondering which group that comes from or was it a typo, thanks Wyndham

Journeyman
Journeyman
#368 and #522 are finger picking and strumming patches. Right click at the top on GUITAR track from BB, and go to Assign/regenerate RT. When the page comes up, type 368 in the FILTER window at the bottom, and click UPDATE. This will come up if you have it. Listen to it at the top by clicking AUDITION wma. If you don't have it, just put GUITAR in the filter box, and it will pull up only guitars. Then choose a strumming one and a fingerpicking one and see if they sound good enough.

W
Wyndham Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
W
I have 368 and looked but don't have 522. Will look at my dvd's of the RT and see if this one's there. Thanks Wyndham

Journeyman
Journeyman
You're welcome.
Probably almost any combination of a strum/fingerpicking patch would work, as long as it wasn't too far off in the way it sounded. I have much better luck sometimes just building players from scratch. Because you can listen to them ahead of time to see if it is close, and then regenerate until close. It is much easier to make an original song with these programs. It is seriously frustrating to really find a pre-made style for an artist. I tried this song after reading your post, because I really like John Prine. I even tried putting vocals to it using the built in harmonizer for the first time, and came up with a "one down, and one Up" male/female vocal that sounded good. I didn't even have to hire a country female singer! LOL.

Have fun, talk to you later.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Thanks to Mac.
I have bookmarked this page re the stylepicker.

Y
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Y
This is a long dead thread but... did you build this song? gotta student that needs it. I'd love to NOT have to build it. :-)

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,629
Posts735,234
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SYOTR, Steve Smith, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185