Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#143392 12/26/11 11:01 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I have done 5 CD's as part of the yearly RPM Challenge, but I have never gone back and really did a CD that was more polished and more or less cohesive. I am going to try and do that this January. I am picking six songs from the last RPM, five songs from this past 50/90 exercise and then one oldie. I have a bit of re-writing and re-recording to do (and get some guest vocals/playing), but I think I can get it done in January.

Any way is is the slow, super-snoozer, "cry in your beer", sad ending tune (ha, ha). I need to re-do some vocals here and then and add more harmonies (and a "choir" on the bridge). To clean up a really bad note, I did try and do some V-Vocal pitch correction from 0:39-0:41, but I don't know what I am doing!

Well without further ado:

If The Truth Be Told
(c) Emmrich 2011

(verses)
gotta give up smoke
ease off that alcohol
running my self down
can't feel nothing at all

your picture's by my bedside
you're in that yellow dress
you got a little smile
makes me remember all the rest

(chorus)
The path down is crowded
but up is a lonely road
it's your memory that keeps me going
if the truth be told

(verses)
I watered the garden today
that you worked so hard to plant
your roses are looking great
my cilantro's a little sad

There's some holes in the basil
I guess bugs had a party there
reminded me of that dance one night
when it was us without a care

(chorus again)

(bridge)
and sometimes when it rains at night
the thunder cracks and the lightening strikes
and just after my last amen
I wonder if it'll strike again

(chorus again and outro)

Kevin: acoustic guitar and vocal
BIAB: bass (#518), drums (NashvilleEven8^6), piano (#887), acoustic guitar (#364),
harmonica (685), mandolin (#820) and pedal steel (#369)

Last edited by Kemmrich; 12/26/11 01:21 PM.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Good work Kevin - if the truth be told. (you knew that was coming!)

Lyrics well polished except I think for the two last lines of the bridge - I mean you've got me shiverin' with the drop into the minor chord and then the storm imagery and then after "last amen" it seems to disintegrate when it could be stronger . . . especially when you're thinking of choir harmony in that area. Ah well just a thought.

Maybe a touch too much bass but I can't trust my hearing - still I found the bass a touch too high.

I really like this tune and production - man that's a lot of writing in those challenges - might drive me nuts.
Would like to hear some of those other tunes too.
Cheers - Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Ian: Thanks for the listen. I'll look at that bridge part you mentioned. I definitely don't want to lose listeners there. I think you are right on the boomy bass -- I'll fix that. I am still struggling with my mix setup and techniques.

Kevin

User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Another fine piece of music! Thanks 4 sharing!

My Music

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice song Kevin, around a great title!

Ian, the bass sounds fine to me. My ears are shot in the highs but I'm ok on bass frequencies (at the moment... )

Bridge: Ian has a point here. The bridge resolves on its own (C...G...C) when it would be stronger if instead it ended with some tension by hanging on G7 and thus inviting the last chorus in, i.e. Ami...Emi...F...G7 over the last two lines?

John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Kevin,

Good job! Good honest vocals, and nice instrumentation. Keep up the good work.

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
PgFantastic: Thanks for the visit and kind words.

Skyline: I did bump the bass down a bit, based on Ian's comments, before you listened!
I'll be re-visiting the bridge. My first attempt will be to add some "movement" in the instruments as we go into the final chorus. If that "easy way out" approach doesn't work, I'll look at modifying the chords.

Steve: Thanks for stopping by and giving it a spin!

Kevin

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Enjoyed listening to the song, liked the lyrics, didn't think the bass was too much at all. sometimes polished is not always best, nice work. Jeff

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice Job Kevin !

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Back for a second listen - bass is definitely tamer.

I loved the lyrics in the "garden" verse. Steve has a good point about "honest" lyrics.

Good one Kevin.

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like it - your vocals have the right attitude, and the instrumentation is all good for me. You've got a nice, expressive voice.

There are some spots where it feels you're trying to cram too many syllables into a line, such as "mem-o-ry", where "mem-ree" would work just fine. There's a sort of buzziness to the vocal, perhaps because you're doubling it. And in some spots the vocals fade into the mix. So if you wanted to polish it... well, there's some work that can be done.

But I certainly enjoyed listening to it just the way it is.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Kevin,

SoundClick Huh....I went the other way....

Great song, loved the vocals. The crystal clear clarity of the sounds
are fantastic. Enjoy your voice and the story telling style you sang this
piece in.

Thanks for sharing.

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Jeff: Thanks for stopping by and giving it a spin.

Tommyc: Thanks for the listen and comment.

Ian: Good advice on that one! I have a lot to learn about mixing and I am finally trying to get a little serious about it (not good, just serious!). I wonder how good my hearing "spectrum" is though.

David: Thanks for the pointers. This one definitely needs to be re-mixed. I can do some vocal re-tries and I am getting some more harmony thrown in for good measure. More the merrier I always so (even when less is best)

Seeker: Soundclick is so overloaded with songs (a few million there, at least -- mostly rap!), that there are some glitches here and there. I plan to investigate other mp3 hosting sites myself. Thanks for the visit.

Kevin

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,402
Posts732,575
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200