Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Post your own Tips and Tricks here
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
A recurring question is how to use Piano roll to tweak MIDI attributes. I decided to put a copy of a recent post here so it doesn't scroll away quite as fast.
-----------------------------------------------------

Here's a list of the standard controllers in the format used by real band and most other DAWs:
http://www.nortonmusic.com/midi_cc.html

Just about all of the synths I've seen use the standard controllers in the same way. The ones marked UNDEFINED are often used by other devices (not synths, usually rack gear or effects) for their own proprietary settings.

All continuous controllers (or CCs for short) require two things:

1) a controller number (which defines the MIDI attribute being changed, such as volume or modulation)
Think of this as a knob on a device.. you have a separate knob for different functions

2) and a value, which defines how much the attribute is being changed
(think of this as the equivalent of how far you turn the knob)

The values range from 0 to 127, 0 being off and 127 being turned all the way up to max

For example:
CC 7 value 127 would be volume turned all the way up to max
CC 7 value 64 would be volume turned up halfway and
CC 7 value 0 would be volume turned all the way down

In piano roll you set the continuous controller from a dropdown list box at the top of the piano roll screen. (in the following picture the continuous controller is set to #7, volume). Because PGMusic chose to put the NAME of the MIDI attributes in the dropdown list box, you don't really need to memorize the CC numbers. You can just pick the attribute by name from the list, which is quite easy to do

the value is selected in the lower pane (0 at the bottom, 127 at the top)
Wherever you click on the time line is where the change will take place.
The lines in the bottom pane represent changes in volume at those positions on the time line. As you can see, in this example the volume swells up and down

As you can also see in this picture, the changes are being made to the violins track.

(thanks to Mitch C who didn't sue me for ripping off his graphic of the piano roll view. )

Journeyman
Journeyman
..on the phone with my attorney as we speak...

Was going to post this as a tip myself, but I just learned it and thought everyone who does midi knows this stuff. Now that I'm comfortable with the MIDI part writing and manipulating in Piano Roll, it's not so scary anymore !

TIP: To draw a volume curve, in the lower pane (after having selected 7 Main Volume MSB controller), hold down CTRL + SHIFT keys while positioning your cursor over the starting notes to affect, and your cursor will become a 'pencil' icon. Hold the CTRL+SHIFT keys as you drag and draw the volume curve. So in the pic above, position your mouse at bar 2 (Gm7), hold CTRL+SHIFT, start the mouse at about 16 and drag it right and upward to whatever max volume swell you desire.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I'm sorry to contradict you Mitch but most MIDI guidelines suggest not using 7 Main Volume for periodic changes of volume throughout the song but rather to use controller 11 Expression instead.

The main reason for this is if you set Main Volume only once at the beginning of the song then if you decide to change it you only have to change it in one place. All the Expression values throughout the song will then behave in response to the Main Volume change.

Regards

Richard Williams
Sydney
Australia
Journeyman
Journeyman
That makes perfect sense. I just learned this...now I learned a bit more. Thanks !

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
it should also be noted that some of the controllers (like hold) don't have the whole range of values from 0 to 127... they are either on or off.

In those cases. any value in the lower half (0-63) will turn it OFF, and any value in the upper half of the range (64-127) will turn it on.

The link in the first post that leads to the list of continuous controllers should say which CCs work this way, and which ones have a variable range of values.

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I'm sorry to contradict you Mitch but most MIDI guidelines suggest not using 7 Main Volume for periodic changes of volume throughout the song but rather to use controller 11 Expression instead.

The main reason for this is if you set Main Volume only once at the beginning of the song then if you decide to change it you only have to change it in one place. All the Expression values throughout the song will then behave in response to the Main Volume change.

Regards

Depends on your need, and what exists in the file. Changing 11 may not do what you want due to an existing control 7 command .. good to know both exist. 11 exists 'underneath' 7.

I just hope they settle on an aftertouch control (CC) eventually. That would be nice.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
PG Music's advice re Controller 11:
"Like the Channel Volume controller, however the Controller 7 is used to set the overall volume on a particular channel, while Controller 11 is used to adjust the volume dynamics within that channel to a percentage of the overall volume."
http://www.pgmusic.com/tutorial_midi1.htm

Bob Norton's advice:
"11 Expression (MSB)
Note: CC7 and 11 both adjust the volume. Use cc11 for volume changes during the track (crescendo, diminuendo, swells, etc.)"
http://www.nortonmusic.com/midi_cc.html

If you follow this advice the only existing control 7 command should be at the beginning of the track. Have I overlooked something?

Regards

Richard Williams
Sydney
Australia
Journeyman
Journeyman
Richard, I have now adopted this 'standard' method as you describe. CC7 is set ONCE, at the beginning of the midi track. Then CC11 is used for the dynamics. I've redone 2 of the tunes I've used Garritan on to this new method, which will be how I do things going forward.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thanks Mitch,
I was a bit concerned from Rharv's response that I had overlooked some situation where you might use the Main Volume control elsewhere in the track.

BTW - I really enjoyed your Sneaker videos on You Tube.

Regards

Richard Williams
Sydney
Australia
Journeyman
Journeyman
One 'CAN' do dynamics with CC7 but I think it's much cleaner to set the 'master' midi volume up front and leave it alone. Then do the dynamics with the expression CC11.

Hey, thanks for checkin' out those oldies ! (still makin' $$ 30 years later off airplay and various other artist re-recordings ! too cool)

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Quote:

Hey, thanks for checkin' out those oldies ! (still makin' $$ 30 years later off airplay and various other artist re-recordings ! too cool)

You're welcome Mitch. Your Soundcloud files are great too.

Mac has given a great explanation of the use of CC7 and CC11 in another thread:

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=348390&an=0&page=0#Post348390

Richard Williams
Sydney
Australia
Veteran
Veteran
My response was depending on what you have to work with. As long as you understand the interaction of the two, the application will be better used.

In an existing MIDI (off the internet) CC7 may have been used throughout the song and you may *have* to use CC7 to accomplish the task.
OR
CC7 may be set too low to allow the swell you are looking for in a particular section, meaning CC7 would need to be increased to allow CC11 to work as desired. There are some synths out there where CC11 will actually change the timbre of the sound (as the form of 'expression'). Most however act as described in this thread and it is a sub-volume. For average BiaB user that is how they will always work.

You have to consider both CC's sometimes when working toward what you want to hear.
That's all I meant.

I don't consider CC7 to have a rule of being only used once at the beginning of the song; too many possible uses on too many different devices when used in conjuction with CC 11.
Remember; MIDI doesn't work only on GM compliant synths.. it can control many different devices.

Last edited by rharv; 01/15/12 08:10 AM.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Apparently I've been doing this wrong too... using CC7 for all applications of volume change. The term ExPRESSION made me think of all sorts of other changes one might use an expression pedal to change, so I never associated it with volume. It makes sense once the logic is explained.

Veteran
Veteran
Cool, it was a good thread if people learned from it.

Next week's topic; SysEx!

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Cool, it was a good thread if people learned from it.

Next week's topic; SysEx!

I always thought that SYSEX was a former nun....

actually, sysex would be a good topic... for some reason I havenb't been able to wrap my brain around that at all

Veteran
Veteran
It's just a way to communicate to a specific device for features that may not be covered in control changes.
For example if you have an guitar multi-effect pedal you could change the delay on the reverb .. or change the VCF on a synth, etc.
It's the next step deeper into MIDI control after control changes.
However, that hexadecimal aspect throws most people.
It's really not necessary to understand the hex, you just need to know which numbers to change to get a desired effect. Usually the MIDI documentation in the owners manual will give this information.

I don't think BiaB handles sysex this way, but RB and PT will.
Some of my older synths will send the sysex message over MIDI to be recorded by the DAW in realtime if any contoller on the synth is moved.

Most practical use is to backup FX units. Quite a few will allow a sysex dump that holds all the needed information to do a backup of memory settings. Saved my behind a couple times when I had guitar FX set up for a show and the battery that allowed the unit to store all the fine-tuned FX settings died. When the battery was replaced it reverted back to factory settings. I just set it up to receive a dump and played it back into memory from PTPA via MIDI.

Last edited by rharv; 01/21/12 10:29 AM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,453
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195