Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
R
RickeG Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
R
Each time I use BIAB, I run into something where the program goes unresponsive. I cannot say it is a specific incident. The most recent was when I was adding Blues Tenor Sax Real Tracks to a solo part. What makes it frustrating is that you lose the work from before that point. The only thing I can do is close and re-open. However, all I did was lost. Is there something I can do to stop this from happening? It happens anytime I go to add or change something to an existing song. That is about the only thing in common in all these instances.

Any suggestions as to how I can correct this? I am still using 2010.

Thanks.

Veteran
Veteran
Ricke,

Is it time related? That is does it happen the first time you try and change something to a song or further down the track?

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
R
RickeG Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
R
Thanks Noel for your quick response. No actually, that is what is strange it is a random thing. I would either add a soloist and then go to recompose it because I did not like the first take. And it can happen when I am changing a chord in the song. It is not something that is consistent from my observation. What I do is before I change anything, I wait until the program has finished composing so as to not cause it confusion.

One thing is consistent is that is occurs when an action requires a recompose. The status will say, "Please wait..." My curses swirls and it never comes back.

Thanks again!
Rick

Veteran
Veteran
Rick,

What is your operating system (XP, Vista, 7; 32 bit, 64 bit)? Also, how much free hard drive space do you have? And lastly, are you running BIAB from your computer's hard drive or the USB drive?

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
R
RickeG Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
R
I am on Windows Vista Premium 32 Bit. I have 200GB free HD. And I am running BIAB from the PC hard disk.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Rick,

I use Windows Home Premium 32-bit as well. I was having problems early on and decided to deactivate the User Account Control (UAC). It sounds like this could be what's happening to your computer. The UAC is responsible for popping up and asking "do you want to run this program", etc. It could be that there's a hidden pop-up asking for permission to write to the disk and nothing can happen until you click OK. Because it's hidden, though, it cannot be clicked and so the system hangs. BIAB creates temporary undo files and these need to be written to the hard drive. This would explain why the system hangs after modifying things.

What I suggest is to go into Control Panel | User Accounts | Turn User Account Control On of Off. Windows will tell you it's not safe doing this because the UAC is protection against something unknown writing to your hard drive. Since I run a separate antivirus scanner, I didn't worry about having UAC off. I haven't had a problem in over 2 years of no UAC.

Anyway, it's something that I'd try. If the problem persists, turn UAC back on.

Let me know what happens. I'm curious.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
in addition to other suggestions made i also suggest a computer restart before using BiAB as a way af clearly the computer's memory

how much memory do you have?

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Expert
Expert
Quote:

The most recent was when I was adding Blues Tenor Sax Real Tracks to a solo part.

Did you by any chance audition the track? There was an issue a while back where the RT picker dialog would be hidden behind the main BiaB window after auditioning. Since it was waiting for a response BiaB would be unresponsive. If this is what is happening to you there is a fix.

Use Ctrl-Tab to cycle through all your open windows. Bring the RT picker to the front and click Ok or Cancel. ThenBiaB will respond normally.

This issue has, I believe, been fixed in later versions so an upgrade would also help. BTW BiaB 2012 is the BEST version ever released IMO. Upgrading would be well worth the money.

BiaB 2013 b366, RB 2013 b4, WinXP Pro SP3, Toshiba M70, 1.8GHz 2GB RAM 100GB HD. Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, Ketron SD2.BiaB Wiki
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

One thing is consistent is that is occurs when an action requires a recompose. The status will say, "Please wait..."

On my setup, I've had that problem also. Defragging both the C drive and also the drive where the Realtracks/Realdrums are stored solves it here.

I use the dedicated Piriform Defraggler software, the free download version, to do this rather than the microsoft defragmenter. It is faster, seems to work better, and a wonderful feature is that it also allows me to choose just what folders to defrag rather than the whole shebang every time.

The Realtracks come from disk and get swapped over to physical RAM whenever one is loaded or you hit the Play button. From then on, that performance is in RAM unless and until you invoke a change and have to hit Play to force a regeneration. Then, of course, the entire disk to ram thing must occur again to cover the added changes.

If you aren't running enough physical RAM, then windows will go ahead and use part of the C disk for a RAM swap in order to fit it all in. But since the tracks may be coming from the same hard drive as the ram swap can take place on, or in the case of the external USB drive, transfer from there to an attempt at RAM writing followed by an attempt at disk swap writing once the system "knows" that the critical RAM resource is all used up with the previous song loadings, all sorts of timing probs can happen. So making sure you have as much RAM as possible for you OS is always a good thing as well.

With today's operating systems and puters, there are fewer tweaks needed than ever before to get a good music playing system, but one I still use is to visit the Hardware Manager and manually set the disk cache size rather than that quaint old, "Let Windows handle it" routine. I set my cache to be *twice* my physical ram size, which is read out there. So, if, for instance, you have 1g of RAM, set the cache size to be 2g (or really 2048 or some sum near to it). Those trhying to run Realtracks on older machines that came with XP and only 512mb of RAM should seriously consider the purchase of 1 to 3g of RAM for the thing.

And by all means do the DEFRAG ss well.

--Mac

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
One more thing--

I developed the habit long ago of doing SAVES periodically while I'm working in BiaB.

If I go to change anything in a song, I make sure that the song is SAVED beforehand.

This is easy enough when using the Toolbar button and it often avoids the problem of running out of resources while doing editing, etc.

(I ALSO use the method with SAVEAS - say the first iteration of the song I save as "mysong.sgu" and then I change something in the song, so I save that as "mysong2.sgu" etc. etc. etc. -- This yields a series of songfiles that are a timeline of the thing from change to change as things progress. May seem like overkill unless you try it for awhile, when things go awry this one can be a real timesaver, and since BiaB songs don't take up much in the way of disk space, not to be concerned along those lines. Besides, after the particular project is done and in the can, you can always go to that folder and delete the previously saved versions. But if BB crashes, well, you have the songfile with every edit but the last one and can reopen that after a machine reboot and keep on truckin'...)

--Mac

R
RickeG Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
R
Thanks Noel,

When I went to look at the User Account, it was already turned off. I don't use this PC for any internet activity. Hence, any anti-virus or protections were removed to increase speed. But thanks for all your help!

RickeG

R
RickeG Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
R
Hi Mike,
This PC usually begins from a cold boot as it only comes on when I want to do some songwriting. (Which unfortunately is happening less and less these days.) It's got 4GB of RAM. I made sure when I purchased this a few years ago I would have enough to keep me going for a while. I believe that should be sufficient for BIAB 2010.

R
RickeG Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
R
Warren, good question. I don't know if I acted upon "auditioning" the Track. But, it may have happened as I went about installing it. What happened was, I selected under the Soloist button, the sax player aforementioned. It played without problem with the exception of some really sour random notes. When I decided to replace the track, and what that did was reset to defaults to where it was going to solo from the start. I had originally programmed it to come in on the second verse. So, I stopped it in the second measure annoyed that BIAB did not retain my settings. Next, I opened the Soloist window and I had to re-choose the sax soloist again. And when I went to compose that is when it crashed.

Does that help shed any light. Warren, you got me thinking when you said audition. I never use that. But, is it possible that the first time you compose the track that somewhere it takes it as an audition?

Thanks,
RickeG

R
RickeG Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
R
Thanks Mac, as I shared I do not use this PC as often I do my other. But, I have neglected to defrag in the process. I am going to look for the Defrag program you mentioned because it appears Vista does not allow you any access as to what need defragmenting or isolating the disk. Part of that pretty bells and whistles while they take the goods away form you.. kind of development.

Thank you all for your counsel. I knew I can count on the gang here to offer some insightful suggestions. After my defrag I will run it a while and get back to this post so others who experience the same may have a resource.

As far as saving goes, yes. I have done a lot of saving and Save As. However, I had just saved the composition a couple of strokes before the crash. But, those strokes were key to the track turns out. When BIAB came back, I realized that I missed the pieces I really liked. Hence, my frustration.

Expert
Expert
Don't forget as well Rick, that recent RTs will only work with recent BIABs - ie 2011, .5 and 12?
I'm not sure how 2010 would react - it might flat out refuse a newer soloist - I'm not sure, never tried.
Remember, you can just upgrade BIAB without going for all of the new RTs. Sale until Jan 15 - check packages page.

Yours is not a glitch I've come across - my sys is XP running 2012 BIAB on 2.5 GB

Luck - Ian Fraser

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
Expert
Expert
Ok, I was just able to reproduce the problem as I remembered it.

Right click the soloist track and select a soloist. Click the Play (what I thought was called Audition) button top right side of RT picker. The song then starts to generate. The RT picker disappears. The song plays but BiaB is completely non responsive. The song ends and BiaB appears locked up.

However, if you Alt tab through the open windows you'll find the RT picker is still active. Releasing the Alt key brings the RT picker to the front and you can then close it and BiaB becomes responsive again.

This still occurs in ver 2012. However, in PGMs defense, I think this may be a windows issue since I know MS Outlook also does this with e-mail forms under XP. The difference being Outlook doesn't occupy the whole screen so you can see the open window behind the main app.

I'm almost certain from your description that this was what was happening to you. If it happens again remember to Alt-Tab and find the RT picker.

Hope this helps.

BiaB 2013 b366, RB 2013 b4, WinXP Pro SP3, Toshiba M70, 1.8GHz 2GB RAM 100GB HD. Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, Ketron SD2.BiaB Wiki
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,620
Posts735,177
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185