Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Harpo Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi All!

I think the upgrades for BIAB are "WAY" too pricey!!

I own quite a few digital audio software products, and none of them come even close to the extreme price percentage jump for upgrades as BIAB does.

Case in point:

Take Roland/Cakewalk's "Sonar".
Their last version (8.5) sold for about $499 (List). The upgrade to Sonar X1, their latest and greatest incarnation, which has tons of new features and top of the line plug-ins (processors, effects, VST Instruments, etc)is only $99.00 !!!

Look at the "Packages" page on the PG Music website.

Say you wanted to upgrade from BIAB 2011 UltraPlusPak (which list at about $469 list) to BIAB 2012 UltraPlusPak.
Your paying $279.00 for the upgrade!! You do the Math!! (that sounds like a ripoff to me)

While your on the "Packages" page, scroll over the "Upgrade From 2011 - UltraPlusPak" Download button. See all the things you get for the $279. WOW!!!

WAIT A FREAKIN' MINUTE!! I ALREADY HAVE MORE THAN 85% (if not more) OF THIS STUFF FROM MY "2011" UltraPlusPak!!! (Did I say Ripoff!)

I don't need another Hardrive, and as I said, I have at least 85% (if not all) of the listed RealTracks, RealDrums, Midi Styles Sets, Soloist Sets, etc. from my 2011 Version !!

Come on PG Music. I know we all need to make a buck and times are hard with such a sucky economy and such, but I think we're being taking advantage of here.

BIAB has come a long way from the early days when I first came on board back in 1998 or 1999, but so have all the other software products that I've purchased back then and stayed loyal to.

I want to know what you as "Users and Committed Customers of PG Music think about this.

Don't be shy. Let me have it!!

Harpo

It's not what you're "Playing", It's what you're "Saying"!
Veteran
Veteran
If you are going to cite SONAR X1 as an example in your argument, you should use the numbers fairly.

SONAR X1 is priced $100 lower than was SONAR 8.5, at $399 list for the most pricey version. Upgrades range from $99 to $199 depending on what version you owned. Plus, the comparison is hardly relevant since SONAR 8.5 and SONAR X1 are in many ways different products.

Lots of things in the Cakewalk line changed with the introduction of X1, unlike the evolutionary change in BIAB from version 2011 to 2012, and don't forget you are skipping version 2011.5.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Well Harpo,

The secret is as I am sure you are well aware of is NOT to buy band in a box upgrades now or anytime they don't have a sale on, then you will get it for half the price.

Its probably just their business model being a small company and with biab filling a small niche in the music software business they are probably somewhat dependant on (people who are new to the software) people paying full whack outside the sale times.

But you and I Harpo know differently, at sales times we get a good deal.

Musiclover

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Veteran
Veteran
Harpo,

Am retired on fixed income...Now that said not missing any meals.
Will never own a new car or anything like that.

My first PG products purchase was Power tracks back in 2006 I think.
Upgraded a few times but not every year.

2010 Dec Purchased BIAB 2010, just a few days later, 2011 came out.
PG gave me upgrade for free due to recent purchase.

Mid 2011, 2011.5 with bonus paks came out for $99 bucks. Wow, all kinds
of new realtracks.

Was going to upgrade to Mega pak and patiently waited until DEC of 2011.
Mega Pak came out. Called to purchase and was informed for just a few bucks
more could get the Ultra-Plus Pak for think was $139 or close to that.
Wow, went for that, and also the Bonus Paks, this gave me All of the Realtracks
and even more. Best Christmas in many years.

June/July PG will be coming out with new versions like the usually do.
Dont remember, but usually the mid year upgrades are quite as hot as the
Dec ones. Will wait and see on the Jun/July offering.

Not sure on my Dec upgrade this year, maybe just the Standard BIAB and
bonus paks if they are offered.

Their technology has been jumping by leaps and bounds, their service and
customer support is beyond compare, their products are the best there is
really looking at what you get for the money.

We like to think of prices going up a lot, and they are across the board in
our lives, but PG Music and what they have to offer at all levels, especially
if you delve into it deeply is an incredible product.

Now you must think PG paided me a great deal to say this.
And you would be right....NAW, ROFLMAO, just a rabid fan and user of their products.

Going from the beginning the Ultra-Plus-Pak is steep, but you get almost every product
they sell in the pak.

Jun/July time frame they usually offer new upgrade specials. Hang in there patiently
and grab one of them.

Just my personal experience.

Hang in there!

Last edited by seeker; 03/09/12 04:49 PM.

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
Veteran
Veteran
The thing to remember is, if you intend to upgrade at Decenmber to the following years program is NOT to upgrade in June/July to the .5 program as in effect what you are doing is paying the extra $99 just to have the newer realtracks a few mths earlier than the December upgraders.

And you save $99

But if you have the money to spend and can't wait them like many you may decide to upgrade to the .5 in middle of year.

musiclover

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Veteran
Veteran
Harpo,

I disagree with you. I think the upgrade prices are excellent value. Seems to me that you are looking at the overall and not the detail.

From my perspective, the upgrade of UltraPlusPak Windows version 2011 to 2012 was mostly about Realtracks. A total of 202 Realtracks was added to 2012. For the upgrade price of $279, this means that each RT costs around $1.40. I find that incredible value!

That I can have world class musicians playing the backing of the music I arrange for such an amazingly cheap price is brillliant. (If I wanted to professionally demo each of the songs I write, prices begin around $400 - 500 for a single song; and then I'm not sure whether I'll like the end product or not. I like the control that owning BIAB/RB gives me.)

Then of course there are always the new features that come along as BIAB continues to grow. Keep in mind also that the upgrade gives the user the latest version of Realband in addition to BIAB. The PG Music suite is much more than just a DAW like Sonar.

I have absolutely no objection to supporting PG Music. I find the company amazing to deal with and their products are incredible. If my support provides funds that allows PG Music to continue to evolve their music suite, I'm there.

Regards,
Noel

Veteran
Veteran
It seems fair to me, with what it must cost them to record high dollar players and programing too. I used Sonor for midi editing but never upgraded it cause it didn't seem necessary to me, my music would have only been average at best without Biab. Plus you get a DAW (RB) with it too, and all the extra programs in the Ultra Pack. Sounds pretty cheap when you add it all up!

Expert
Expert
Quote:

Hi All!

I think the upgrades for BIAB are "WAY" too pricey!!

I want to know what you as "Users and Committed Customers of PG Music think about this.

Don't be shy. Let me have it!!

I don't agree with you. I don't like spending my hard earned money any more than the next guy but I've always felt that PG Music's prices are more than fair.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Journeyman
Journeyman
Easy...DON'T UPGRADE ! Done.

Expert
Expert
Harpo - I take it that it's the RTs you want. The hard drive makes it expedient for you to get them - either that or you could take a day or two to download . . . . what would that cost you. The RTs have attached studio costs for recording by name artist but is still good value as Noel explained.

But then to upgrade from your 2011 to 2012 - both BIAB and RB - it's only $69 and you can probably download it. That's pretty good value.

You'll be up to date and can choose your RT Sets individually rather than getting ones you don't want.

I hear your frustration - but at least update the programs - $69 for both BIAB and RB. Do the RTs as you can. You can't make all the new ones work anyway unless you update to 2012.

Cheers - Ian

PS I already have all midi styles, soloists, melodists and it bothers me to be offered them at every upgrade UNLESS there have been changes. Maybe an Ultra and/or Plus Pak with Pgm upgrades and New RTs - without the other add-ons - might be an idea. IMHO

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I don't kown if there's many other software that can do what Biab do ? Considering that the upgrade consists of buying software + hardware, I don't feel that it's expensive... but I waited for the special prices of the end of year to upgrade ;-)

Free tools for Biab:
Biab Scales and BIArpeggio to practice scales/arpeggio
Biab Explorer: the other song picker
Veteran
Veteran
So Harpo, the moniker seems to suit.

This rant, if it was to have effect would need more than that as substance.

Are you aware of how much it costs to hire the musicians, have them play the stuff required, program that stuff, and then check it, beta test it, package it, and launch it.

We are in Canada now, so no one is holding a loaded snow shoe over your head and making you buy an upgrade.

Feel free to purchase the next version without mentioning that you ever owned anything and consider it a donation to the cause.

Play back a few songs on a 30 year old synth so you can have some cheeze to go with the ...

John Conley
Musica est vita
Veteran
Veteran
Technology changes by the moment, and a person can go broke trying to upgrade every bit of software and hardware to the latest greatest version. My fatherly advice to my son (who always wanted to upgrade everything all the time) was:

1) for hardware: wait until the software you use will no longer run well on the old machine

2) for software: Don't upgrade everything. Each year upgrade the product that adds the most features you need. If a product goes 2 or 3 releases without adding anything that's important to me, then I just keep using the old version and stop upgrading that product.

For the past several years, BIAB has been the only music making software that has consistently added new features that pique my interest.

3) upgrade at the most advantageous time. Introductory prices are lower, and it's foolish to let the sale run out if you know that you want to upgrade.

4) in order to do that, you need to know which product you plan to run with. For me, it has boiled down to the PGMusic suite... they do everything I need.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Nah, i don't think it is to much, i just stopped upgrading some other stuff that i don't use as much. If Sonar had the technology to make RTs and added 200 or so each upgrade i bet it would be much more costly.

If i play golf i will spend $50 per outing, and if I play racquetball $20 to $30 per session. I play music about twice a week now, and it cost me around $200 per upgrade, and that is about $3.85 cents per session. Pretty cheap i might say.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Nah, i don't think it is to much, i just stopped upgrading some other stuff that i don't use as much. If Sonar had the technology to make RTs and added 200 or so each upgrade i bet it would be much more costly.

If i play golf i will spend $50 per outing, and if I play racquetball $20 to $30 per session. I play music about twice a week now, and it cost me around $200 per upgrade, and that is about $3.85 cents per session. Pretty cheap i might say.

that's a good way of conceptualizing the value added by an upgrade.

Every hobby costs money. This hobby can actually EARN money. No matter whether you use BIAB as a hobby or as an income producing product, it comes out less expensive than most of the alternatives.

F
Apprentice
Apprentice
F
I think BIAB is fair compared to prices for sample libraries for example. It all needs to be put in perspective. How much do or would you spend on booze each week, fags or a holiday if relevant? When you compare it to the enjoyment you get on a continuous basis instead of a fleeting moment then I’d say its good value.

Veteran
Veteran
I want to spend more on booze but I loose my beer all the time. I can't smoke in the house I guess. Havn't tried in years. It used to work ok though. I used to make charitable donations to underprivileged women, but the music where they work is too loud and it's too dark. So I quit that too.

I like a good steak once every few weeks. Those are about 12 bucks for 2 and at 20 times a year that's a good hobby I'll keep until it's too cold to hit the bbq.

I'm sticking with the upgrades I think. And a nice Havana once a month.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Journeyman
Journeyman
I buy every upgrade whether I need it or not...but that's just me. Gotta have the latest and greatest, especially BIAB / RB !

Apprentice
Apprentice
Well, if I may say so, when I consider the VAST amount of goodies (RT's and software tweaks) that seem to CONSTANTLY improve at near exponential levels...

My brain is in perpetual synoptic meltdown...in a feeble attempt to absorb and (if I'm lucky) apply those newly formed, revised, and polished incentives that are so exhuberantly bundled with each and every release.

I am delighted at PG's efforts...humbled actually.

There is a METRIC TON of effort and attention to detail that is applied all along the chain...from the least, to the greatest...

From the exceptionally skilled, blessed, and talented instrument players themselves---to the grips, guitar techs, cable runners...to those blessed souls who gratiously provide clean and supplied restrooms (I love you too!)---I chat with the gal at work all the time (hey, I used to...I'm a Navy man...we're some cleaning fools). To everyone at Team PG: Bravo!

I digress---

I think another person coined it correctly: If you're so inclined, and you have the patience of Job, then sure, wait until the annual release at a discount; else, you could "selctively" choose what specific "bumps" you'd like if you favor a particular genre...or RT set.

That's what I like: Flexibility.

The choices you make can range from All, to some, to a few, to...

Unfortunately for me, I happen to be of the "all or nothing" personality LOL

To date, I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever.

Well, I do have one: Insufficient time and brain power to fully utilize it ALL!!!

Have Fun,
Eric

JOHN 10:10
Veteran
Veteran
I worked for Jack Daniel's, yes the whiskey for 30 years and the founding father Jack himself made a statement very early on in the history of that American icon . . . "All Goods Worth Price Charged". IMHO BIAB is one of only a few products I have ever purchased, besides Jack, to which I would share that statement.

Later,

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195