Go To
RealBand
R
rokq22 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Well, since the other questions/problems I had have been answered (Thanks all!!) now I have a new problem, thus, the new topic. I wrote the following elsewhere but just decided to make a new topic (and yes I HAVE searched for previous topics on this but nothing came up that seem related).

Anyhow, the big test came and I went through a big headtrip because the guitar worked great through the UX1 but the microphone didn't work at all so I thought the unit was broken. However, with a bit of searching I found out why the microphone didn't "work". It was that I had to go to the "Mixer View" and switch to "Mic" from "Instrument". (Apparently only one works at a time.) After reading the Line6 Forum I was able to find "Mixer View":

http://line6.com/support/message/170951#170951

Okay, so that is one "problem" out of the way. Another problem came up that the microphone was distorted and I couldn't get rid of the distortion. By accident I found that I had a distortion pedal left on from when I was messing with the guitar. Removed it and the mic works perfectly! (And it's very cool that all the amps/pedals/effects also work for the microphone!! )

Okay, two problems down one to go. And this was one I also feared would happen. RealBand doesn't recognize my interface! I've searched here and Line6 for answers but can't find any. (Yes, I'll go back and read more of the manual for my UX1 but I'm stressing again ) Frankly, I even REinstalled Reaper in the hopes THAT would work but it doesn't either. Okay, so what I have now is two working things. RealBand and UX1 it's just that they don't work TOGETHER so I can't record anything. What am I missing (besides brain cells?)

Have to say that I get lots of lights showing my interface is working just not able to record.

P.S. Just about to watch this:

http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2334

Last edited by rokq22; 03/14/12 09:35 AM.
RealBand
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi,

In Options | Preferences | Audio, what is selected as your Audio Driver Type, and in the [Drivers] window, what is available and selected there?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
RealBand
Journeyman
Journeyman
...and if you do have the UX1 selected as above, please elaborate on:

"Have to say that I get lots of lights showing my interface is working just not able to record."

what lights? where(on the UX1 or within Real Band)?

You'll find some effects in the software that are intended as vocal effects, some as bass effects, some as guitar effects.

Also, when you say you got the guitar "working" and the mic "working", how were you listening to them? headphones from the UX1? speakers - if so connected to what?

Bruce

Macbook Pro 2018
2.6 GHz 6-core Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM
OS Monterey
BIAB for Mac 2022
RealBand
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Hello,

I am not answering to the part of your question why the UX1 should work on BiaB and not on RB...
I use the UX1 and for me it works just the same on both programs.
If you check in BiaB what apears under "Opt/Midi Audio driver set up" and the UX1 works there, the same set-up unser RB should work just the same.

Where I may help is to set up instrument And micro under PodFarm, because it is not really "intuitive"...
So, as you figured out, you go in the mixer view...
There you have 2 (input) slots
Click the button dual (top right, near the name of the present setting)
Then choose "create an empty tone" and you get two spurs
In InputA you set instr. in inputB Mic1.
Now the "not intuitive part" (for me):
Go in the preset view,
Choose a preset instrument and "bring it" with the mouse on the instr. spur where it will be fixed.
Choose now a preset vocal and bring it with the mouse on the vocal spur.Voila!
If you set an instrument preset to a Vocal spur, your mike will not work properly...
Hope this helps and that you may find all the things I try to describe and which will look strange to all people not using the UX1...
Bernard

RealBand
R
rokq22 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
I'll get back to the responses in a second, sorry for doing things backwards.

Okay, actually watched the video from Line 6 about recording with the UX1 and it got me going! I went into my SOUNDS file In Control Panel and, as instructed in the Line 6 tutorial video, clicked on UX1 as the recording devise. Went back to Reaper AND IT WORKED! Was able to record!! Frankly I was ALMOST goin gto also download "Propellerhead" because that was what was used in the Line 6 video but, as I said, got Reaper to work.

However, still am NOT able to get RealBand to record. ::( Have gone to "Preferences" just like Reaper and clicked on the same thing but NOTHING!

Quote:

Hi,

In Options | Preferences | Audio, what is selected as your Audio Driver Type, and in the [Drivers] window, what is available and selected there?

ASIO is shown and selected, which is correct. Still can't record on RB.

Quote:

what lights? where(on the UX1 or within Real Band)?

Also, when you say you got the guitar "working" and the mic "working", how were you listening to them? headphones from the UX1? speakers - if so connected to what?

Bruce

The lights I spoke of were from the "faders" in POD Farm 2 software which is for the UX1, indicating the program was getting a signal. (Is this terminology correct?? lol) As I noted, I got Reaper to record (and playback my "check, check...") so all is almost well. I am able to switch back between the computer external speakers and the UX1 w/headphones.

Quote:

If you check in BiaB what apears under "Opt/Midi Audio driver set up" and the UX1 works there, the same set-up unser RB should work just the same.

Where I may help is to set up instrument And micro under PodFarm, because it is not really "intuitive"...
So, as you figured out, you go in the mixer view...
There you have 2 (input) slots
Click the button dual (top right, near the name of the present setting)
Then choose "create an empty tone" and you get two spurs
In InputA you set instr. in inputB Mic1.
Now the "not intuitive part" (for me):
Go in the preset view,
Choose a preset instrument and "bring it" with the mouse on the instr. spur where it will be fixed.
Choose now a preset vocal and bring it with the mouse on the vocal spur.Voila!
If you set an instrument preset to a Vocal spur, your mike will not work properly...
Hope this helps and that you may find all the things I try to describe and which will look strange to all people not using the UX1...
Bernard

Okay, I got HALF of that. The Instrument and Mic 1 are set as you said. (I got lights! ) However, I don't understand the "preset view" and that which follows that. What "preset view"? I am looking at the mixer view in Pod Farm but don't know what to do next. One thing, however, as I mentioned, I AM able to record in Reaper just not RB. (Actually wasn't really aware I could record in BIAB as I thought RB was for recording. Oh well...)

I'm now wondering if I should bother with recording with RB since Reaper seems to be working? I could do the composing in BIAB, do some editing/mixing in RB and then drag the stuff into Reaper as dfizzbom did in his video? (No I do NOT work for Reaper!! It's just that it worked at almost first try and I am still having trouble with RB.) I just tried again and nothing... Where the track should be recording it goes by red but no indication anything is being recorded. Stumped.

Taking a break. I'm getting a headache.

RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
When you setup the track in RB to record do you arm it first? and next do you hit record or play?

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
RealBand
Journeyman
Journeyman
rokq22,

If you can record in Reaper, then your audio is getting into your computer, so the "problem" is either in selecting your audio input within Real Band (should be Line 6 ASIO or something similar) or else is in the activating of recording within Real Band. Can you see any activity on the volume meters in Real Band? I'm assuming you can hear both audio AND midi when PLAYED in Real Band?

I think you're getting close.

Bruce

Macbook Pro 2018
2.6 GHz 6-core Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM
OS Monterey
BIAB for Mac 2022
RealBand
R
rokq22 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Quote:

rokq22,

If you can record in Reaper, then your audio is getting into your computer, so the "problem" is either in selecting your audio input within Real Band (should be Line 6 ASIO or something similar) or else is in the activating of recording within Real Band. Can you see any activity on the volume meters in Real Band? I'm assuming you can hear both audio AND midi when PLAYED in Real Band?

I think you're getting close.

Bruce

I'll do more later tonight on this, but I do believe ASIO was all that was listed in the RB window. NO activity in the RV meters and, yes, BIAB and RB work find just can't record. But I think the following might provide the answer:

Quote:

When you setup the track in RB to record do you arm it first? and next do you hit record or play?

I know that Reaper gave me a message when I first tried to record on it that said I didn't arm the track and I ended up clicking on the small box in the upper left hand corner of the track and it armed it. (What luck! ) As for RB, I was assuming that it was the same that when the red box in the upper left hand corner of the track is red it is armed. If not, how do I arm it? This might just be the missing piece of the puzzle.

Oh, I do hit Record and it SEEMS to actually be recording it's just no signals are getting through. I just tried it without any instruments plugged in nor the Line 6 software going, and it does the same thing. That is, as the recording indicator line (I don't know what it's actually called) moves to the right for the track that is supposed to be recording the area to the left of the line is turning red as the line moves to the right. (Same occurs when I have mic or guitar plugged in and software loaded). However, nothing is being recorded cuz I can't see anything on the track that indicates a signal is being recorded. (All is well on Reaper and also plays back what I recorded).

RealBand
C
Journeyman
Journeyman
C
To "arm" Realband Track click anywhere in the Gray Title box for the track and it will turn red.

My Preference settings for my UX-1 in Realband (Control+F1 or Options>Preferences>Audio tab)are:
Audio File Type: 44.116
Audio Driver: MME
Input Channel for Mono Tracks: L+R (2 Tracks)

Output Buffer: 2000
Track Buffer Size 65536
Input Buffer (MME only) 1

Checked boxes:
Full Duplex, Advanced Midi, Realtime Effects, Always record Audiotoo, Backup most recent audio take.

Drivers Button:
Audio Input: Micosoft Sound Mapper,SB Audiology (C8C0), Line 6 TonePort UX1
Audio Output:Micosoft Sound Mapper,SB Audiology (C8C0), Line 6 TonePort UX1

Click red Audio Record button when recording (as stated earlier)

If your VU meters also do not register a signal but when played back the audio is there on 3 tracks Titled: Audio Port 1, Audio Port 2 and Audio Port 3 but only Audio Port 3 has the stereo wave signal on it then go to your Computers Control Panel and set your TonePort UX1 as the Default Sound Recording device .

Then your VU meter should register and you will get Audio on Tracks Port 1 and 2 and a blank on Port 3.

Double Clicking on the "Audio Port 1" area allows you to give the track a name (Guitar 1, Flute 2 etc) if you want.

I'm running Win XP and the latest BIAB/Realband update and in the Computers Control Panel Settings>Audio Sounds and Devices>Audio tab I have:
Sound Playback:Line 6 Toneport UX1
Sound Recording: Line 6 Toneport UX1
Midi Playback:SB Audiology (C8C0)

Good luck,
Carkins

RealBand
R
rokq22 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
@Carkins,

Well, my settings are quite similar. I have actually switched between "ASIO" and "MME" for the Audio Driver and neither works.

I have noticed that my interface is showing on the tracks "AUD: Line6 UX1" which is correct but I still don't get a signal on any of the tracks even after "arming" them as the fader lights don't show on any of the tracks in RB even though they do show on my Line 6 POD Farm software and on Reaper. I know it's a configuration problem but I don't know what else to mess with on the RB.

Well, I got out the manual for BIAB (maybe if I went BACKwards it might help. ) Okay, as instructed, when I click on the Record Audio button to record I actually get the VU meters and for Input as I talk in the mic I got the lights which obviously shows a signal getting to BIAB. However, in the box that also appeared in the upper left of the screen I click on "Set Recording Levels" and get the message "There is a problem with your sound hardware. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click on Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware." Geeezzzz, I do not have a "Printers and Other Hardware" file but there is the "Add Hardware" one. I clicked on THAT and tested the newly installed Line 6 stuff and all seems fine. (Everything is obviously installed correctly otherwise Reaper wouldn't get a signal.) The BIAB manual says "Once you have set the recording properties and tested the levels, recording is easy." Great, because the stuff BEFORE that wasn't!

Now what?

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
In the audio preferences window of RB you can see MME and ASIO selections. You have changed those. However you still haven'ttold us what is in the window that pops up when you click the Driver button right by the MME and ASIO selection. It is important that the correct driver (and only that driver) is selected to get the desired results. ASIO and MME are *formats*so choosing one or the other doesn't magically select the right driver. Drivers in this window many time are the key to selecting the correct audio input from the desired device or interface.
I'm thinking the choice in this window may be part of the problem.

Then again it could be the 'unintuitive' part Bernard mentioned also. That sure seemed unintuitive to me, as did Carkins description of multiple track; that would also point to incorrect (or multiple) driver selection in the above mentioned window.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
R
rokq22 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Quote:

However you still haven'ttold us what is in the window that pops up when you click the Driver button right by the MME and ASIO selection. It is important that the correct driver (and only that driver) is selected to get the desired results. ASIO and MME are *formats*so choosing one or the other doesn't magically select the right driver. Drivers in this window many time are the key to selecting the correct audio input from the desired device or interface.
I'm thinking the choice in this window may be part of the problem.

Then again it could be the 'unintuitive' part Bernard mentioned also. That sure seemed unintuitive to me, as did Carkins description of multiple track; that would also point to incorrect (or multiple) driver selection in the above mentioned window.

I currently have "MME' selected and when I click on the Driver button I get the following and in this order:

Audio Input Driver(s):
Microsoft Sound Mapper
Line6 UX1 (HIGHLIGHTED)
SoundMAX Digital Audio

Audio Output Driver(s):
Line6 UX1 (HIGHLIGHTED)
Microsoft Sound Mapper
SoundMAX Digital Audio ty5e6u

RealBand
C
Journeyman
Journeyman
C
Good call rharv on the multiple selections of drivers causing multiple tracks after recording.
Didn't think having them all selected mattered as long as the required driver was in the list.

When I selected only TonePort UX1 in the input driver box,I came up with only one stereo track, as it should be.
Thanks for showing common sense to the senseless.
Love this forum.
Carkins

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Glad somebody learnrned something from this .. but I am still perplexed with the original poster's problem. Anyone else with UX1 that can offer some insight?

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
R
rokq22 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
I'll work on this a bit more over the next couple days (Actually I'm busy tomorrow so that leaves Friday.) Anyhow, looking at the Audio Input/Output drivers, could it be that the Line6 driver is on the wrong Port and should be moved? (I got that from the RealBand manual as the drivers can be moved to different Ports.) Oh, I am assuming that the Line 6 driver is the correct one.

I have to say that although I'd really like to stay in RealBand and do the recording there, I just did the RealBand to Reaper drag the tracks over thing and the results were really good.

RealBand
C
Journeyman
Journeyman
C
What are your settings in your computers Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>Audio?
Do they also match up with mine?
I'm guessing that may be where the problem is.

I just set my RealBand Pref to ASIO (Driver Type)> selected ASIO TonePort UX1
Then in ASIO Drivers Control Panel set Input Source to Microphone and it records fine also.

That's all I can think of for now.

RealBand
R
rokq22 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Okay... I was determined this morning to find out what I was doing wrong or if the settings were wrong. everything was working properly in Reaper (the only problem I had with Reaper was that I couldn't figure out how to toggle between hearing the recorded playback through the headphones and the computer speakers. I can with RealBand.) Anyhow, I digress. The thing was that I ASSUMED the vocals weren't being recorded because as the song was playing the "recording" track simply turned red and I didn't see ANYTHING on the track to indicate the vocals were recorded (although, again, the VU meters input showed that the vocal signal was getting through.) Well, I actually played the song back and the vocals ARE being recorded!

Recording problem solved!!!

Thanks all for taking the time to help me.

Another question. How do you UNarm a track once it's been armed? When I click on the track to arm it I can't seem to UNarm it. The only thing I can figure out is to click on another track and arm THAT and the other track gets UNarmed.

RealBand
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Concerning the presets in the UX1: I know it is difficult to describe what you are doing in a software just with words....
Lets try it:
Once you have opened the Pod Farm software needed for the UX1, you have 6 preset alternatives around the Line6 logo (3 on the left and 3 on the right).
These presets are:
On the left side:
Gear view (you can read the description hovering the mouse over the preset)
Panel view,
Preset view
on the right side:
Mixer view (which you have found and use..)
Assignments view
Guitar tuner.

Now the preset view, as the name says, allows you to choose the "presets" (guitar, bass, vocals). The point that I was making is that in order to have the mic recording properly you have to choose a preset from the vocal presets. Otherwise, if you choose for exemple a guitar preset, it is not going to produce a good result...

Hope it makes the things clearer (but I am not sure!)
Bernard

RealBand
R
rokq22 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
@Bernard,

Hi. As I noted in my last post I AM able to record in RealBand, I just ASSUMED it wasn't recording because nothing would show (like a wave) on the track during the actually recording as I was testing the mic. However, the vocals and wave WERE both there during playback. (I thought I had no reason to play the thing back as I thought it didn't record. ) So all was well, except ME.

Anyhow, I knew where those 6 buttons were there but usually used the "Gear View". As far as the presets go, I always selected one but from the button directly above the Line 6 logo. Seems that those are the same "presets" that appear in the "Preset View". Hope they are one and the same.

Anyhow, I have printed out most the manual for POD Farm and will get to it soon (I dislike reading manuals online). There are tons of things to learn but I know that actually DOING things is sometimes best. (Well, at least until I get stumped. )

Cheers.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,620
Posts735,171
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 184