Go To
#154916 03/25/12 05:22 PM
Off-Topic
FLAN Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hello everyone...

The link below points to a video I wanted to share with the PG community.

After inquiring about proper placement, the consensus pointed to this forum.

The song was penned about a year and a half ago...it was recorded, what I would call, "on the fly" here in my basement studio; meaning: The piano and lead/main vocals were done in one shot simultaneously in real time.

Afterwards, I dubbed in some strings, bass and of course backing vocals.

Over the weekend, I was inspired to create a slide show in support of the theme using Windows Movie Maker.

I would really, really like to hear back from anyone and any thoughts they might have.

As we are quickly approaching Easter, it is my hope that this movie blesses you...

...maybe for the first time...?

Suggestion: You might want to find a quiet/private time to view it and soak it in. Headphones might help also...

God Bless,
Eric
More Than A Story (by Eric Flanigan)

JOHN 10:10
FLAN #154917 03/25/12 05:50 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Flan,

Nice song and Christian message. I mean this kindly - most people have short attention spans and over 8 min outside of a real church service is long. If you do another one I'd make it more the length of a regular song 3:30 to 5:00 mins tops.

My suggestion is to put the lyrics in your description since the vocals are somewhat back in the mix. Plus it would be nice to be able to read them and it would reinforce your message.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
what Josie said.

But to that I'll add that you did a great job on the video... the pictures you chose are emotionally stirring in conjunction with the song's message. All your questions paid off!

And I also like the composition of the song. Did you say it was original?

The main comments as Josie said are the length and the fact that your vocals are so far back in the mix that most of the words could not be discerned by my ears.

Whether the length of a song is too much is really a question of how it will be used. If you plan to play it at a church service during communion, it might not be long enough, depending on the size of the congregation. But for airplay, even on the local CC station, my guess is it would be too long.

But, having said all that, my overall impression is very favorable.
Good luck in your music ministry! You're off to a good start

Off-Topic
FLAN Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thank you both Pat and Josie...I agree...it is commercially unfavorable (long)...ha.

I have a knack for that I think, but not always....that darn 3.5min thing is a real challenge...something to work on no doubt.

Well, I was in the moment, and I agree, it could be parsed down for sure!

Vocals were laid down with keys all in one channel...so, I did the best I could at the time.

I hoping there will be others as time permits.

Lots to learn.

Good thing it's fun huh?

FLAN #154920 03/26/12 10:47 AM
Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
Flan,

I pretty much agree with what's already been said here.
I really like your voice and hope to hear more songs from you.
I do believe you posted a song over on the show case forum, but my computer seems to lock up every time I try and listen to a song posted on Sound cloud so I pretty much skip stuff posted on that site.
I'm glad I got to hear one of your songs though.

Tim

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have trouble, intermittently on SoundCloud too. Error says I must update WMP. Next try, without my doing a thing, works flawlessly. Strange.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Other than was was already said about the lenght, and the vox being to far back I really like the message, the production and the performance.

Edited portion: Got to view and listen more, still could not get through the whole production but the more I listened and viewed the more depressed I got.

Don't want to discourage you as I still feel the entire production shows talent, just toooo heavy for me personally.

Nice work,

Last edited by Danny C.; 03/27/12 06:23 AM.
Off-Topic
FLAN Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hey Tim...hey Don...

I agree...will persue SoundClick moving forward!

Don (off toptic) where'd you get that cool chicken thing doing the dance? I love it!

Danny (on a serious note): It's ok! I my intention is NOT to depress...wow...

With the advent of Easter (for me) it is (and has been) an opportunity to embrace the LOVE of GOD (that is, the good, bad, and the ugly).

You betcha...the cross is ugly (foolishness to some), but man, our hope hinges on that nasty little execution device the Romans so enthusiastically perfected.

It grounds me.

Reminds me of who I am, and who He is...

I can tell you, I cried and cried and praised God many times putting this together.

It is meant to be a stark reminder of the cost...for little ol' me...and you...and for all...despite our situation...God made a way.

That is awesome to me ('cause I'm a wretch no doubt)!

Rest easy, like I said, I usually get intense this time of year.

Good news is, He's alive and well today...and THAT is our hope.

Nothing can seperate us from the love of God.

Sometimes...you just got to get real.

Ok...off the box now.

Peace!!!

Last edited by FLAN; 03/27/12 01:01 PM.
FLAN #154924 03/27/12 04:58 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
At the risk of being tarred and feathered again: First century historian, Josephus, recorded that the method of execution at the time was an upright stake so Jesus was put to death on a staros or upright stake. In Greek, a crux simplex. So trace the veneration of the cross back to its origin and you will find it steeped in pagan Babylonian practices long before Christianity. The early "Church" adopted most of it's trappings from non-Christian Babylon. Hellfire, the Trinity Doctrine, Immortality of the soul, ad infinitum. Nobody has greater appreciation for Jesus' sacrifice than I however, I won't use this forum to perpetuate falsehoods as you have done. You are more than welcome to PM me provided you keep it civil and mutually respectful. Religious discussions are expressly forbidden by forum rules.

Off-Topic
FLAN Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
No problem Don...just posting some music.

Went on a rant there.

Won't happen again.

FLAN #154926 03/28/12 07:54 AM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Hey FLAN,

Good Strong Performance here, actually reminds me of some of the late Rich Mullin's work, which, as you are likely very aware, is top shelf stuff.

Yes, I also think that you might try to Edit this one down to a shorter version, think, "Airplay". But it is YOUR song, so if you don't want to do that, then don't do it.

And apply just a wee instance of compression to put your Vocal track out in front of the rest. Use an Optical Compressor or Optical Comp plugin for that. Because of the fast speed.

Good Recording, other than that.

--Mac

Mac #154927 03/28/12 09:05 AM
Off-Topic
FLAN Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks Mac,

I think I might know the Mullins' fella...I'll have to look it up (I'm 41) *hack*

Haven't heard of those plugins either, could you provide a link? PM if you want.

Yes, yes...Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong...you got that right!

I may parse this one down in the future for sure, it can be done!

I'm trying to focus on other things...I don't often rehash stuff...not enough time as it is!

It was "free flow" recorded on the fly...so, I just went with it.

Thanks again--cheers!

FLAN #154928 03/29/12 04:03 PM
Off-Topic
W
Expert
Expert
W
You are right on, Christ is more than a story. Christ gave you this to share and I for one am grateful for what you have shared. The length gave me time to absorb the message. I cried for joy and sorrow, I'm sure you understand.
Thanks.
I would like to share this with our Church if you have the lyrics and chords, I'd like my wife to play and sing this at an upcoming service. Please email me if possible or not.
Wyndham
wynpotter(at)embarqmail(dot)com

Off-Topic
FLAN Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thank you Wyndham...will do.

Send me a PM and we'll firgure something out.

I can Auto Chord Wizard for a quick way (fake sheet thingy application).

If I'm really skilled, I could use BB's ability to plug in the lyrical notarization.

Wow..that would be a FEAT for sure...as it's not the most friendly thing to work with (I've tried it before; yikes).

A down and dirty chord sheet would suffice...since you've got the groove already.

I'll start on it now.

Flan

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,111
Members38,516
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185