Apprentice
A
How do I know if wma or wav is used?
Can I choose?
Can I delete the wma files?

Band-in-a-Box for Windows
C
C
Excellent Question! I'm wondering the same. I upgraded to the Audiophile edition and want to be absolutely sure the wav files are being used, not the wma ones. I look forward to an answer too! -charley

Veteran
Veteran
If BIAB sees both a .WMA file and a same-named .WAV file in the same place, it uses the .WAV file.

This can occur in one of two ways:
1) you uncompressed the .WMA files, making them into .WAV but keeping the same audio quality, or
2) you have the audiophile version, in which case you have purchased uncompressed higher-quality .WAV files

There is a slight speed advantage to using method one, even though the quality of the sound is unchanged, because BIAB does not have to uncompress the file first. And of course, the audiophile files would also load slightly faster.

If you have the audiophile version, yes, you may delete all the .WMA files.

If you do not have the audiophile version but chose to uncompress all the .WMA files to .WAV, you may also choose to delete the .WMA files.

Keep in mind that, if you do delete all the .WMA files, since they are about one-tenth the size of the corresponding .WAV files, you are only saving about one-eleventh the total space. It's a lot of work to go through for that small a benefit, and then you have to do it all again next update.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Matt Finley #156108 04/06/12 03:48 PM
A
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
A
Thanks for clearing that up! However I have a follow up question:
Is buying the audiophile edition the only way to get "good" wav files or can they be purchased as realtracks sets?

Veteran
Veteran
I don't know. You should call PG Music Sales and ask.

I can say that I have not seen separate audiophile packages for sale, but that doesn't mean they would not be willing to discuss it; can't hurt to ask Sales.

Of course, after you buy enough individual RealTrack sets, it becomes more economical to just get them all.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
A
A
Quote:

Thanks for clearing that up! However I have a follow up question:
Is buying the audiophile edition the only way to get "good" wav files or can they be purchased as realtracks sets?

This is my understanding from a technical point of view.

The uncompressed wave files in the audiophile version take up LOTS of space...
so much space that downloading would put a 'much added' strain on the servers.

Therefore, ALL audiophile uncompressed wave files are ONLY available on disk
and they are delivered quickly in 1-2 days via the mail only.

And they must be signed for too, I might add.

Furthermore, to complicate things, this is my opinion and not that of PGMusic...

IF you have to pay for the audiophile version, you will not only have everything
that is available, but you won't be so quick to share files with others.

Here is the scenario... Friends a,b,&c get together and each purchase a separate
uncompressed audiophile *.wav set. They then share their sets (copy each others).
This now cuts PGMusic out of comissions had a,b,&c each purchased their own *.wav
audiophile versions. Therefore, PGMusic doesn't offer sets! (at least one reason)

I guess, other than honesty, there is no reason that either a, b, or c couldn't
make an audiophile purchase and share with their friends for a certain price.

However, let's get real here...

PGMusic has gone to 'deep' ends to bring you quality, and that quality HAS to be
paid for somehow! You cut PGMusic's $$$ by sharing and you cut your own throat.

And, seriously, the 2nd point is this... a lot of you would have to upgrade, or
purchase an additional external drive anyway, as the 'audiophile' versions ships
on a 750GB Harddrive... so where will you store those huge uncompressed .wav files?

You may think that PGMusic is making some kind of killing because of the difference
of $100 between the standard 'Everything you can get' pak and the 'audiophile' version,
but have you taken into account the cost of the larger harddrive and also the amount
of work they have saved you? They aren't making much off of the audiophile version imo.

Audiophile #156111 05/09/12 09:40 AM
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I also takes a longer time to load a hard drive with all .wav files...

Audiophile #156112 05/09/12 11:54 AM
Expert
Expert
Quote:

And they must be signed for too, I might add.

They just put mine on the front porch. Probably just make you sign.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Is buying the audiophile edition the only way to get "good" wav files...

You're making a wrong assumption here. Unless you're under 50, have extremely good (and trained) hearing because you haven't done a lot of live gigging over the years and you have worked in a recording studio for a long time, I strongly suspect you will not be able to tell the difference between the WMA's and the audiophile versions. Personally I would get the standard hard drive first and try them out. I think you will be very impressed and decide to save your money but you've got 30 days to return it and get the audiophile one.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
jazzmammal #156114 05/09/12 07:11 PM
A
A
Bob is quite right! However, if you purchase the audiophile
version first, then you will have both the HQ .wav files and
the compressed .wma files available to do a comparison.

There is a 30-day refund period as mentioned.

There are 19,876 .wav <-> .wma pairs of files and they are all
located in the 'bb\Drums' & 'bb\RealTracks' folders/subfolders.

The .wav <-> .wma pairs are NOT located anywhere else in the
bb folder. I know, I checked.

The .wma files mentioned above total 48.5 GB while the total
size of the .wav files mentioned above totals 589 GB -- and for
those who care that's 1,495 hours, 54 minutes, and 17 seconds of
quality .wav audio files that we are talking about.

Considering that these files are chopped up and served multiple
times during a single song... that's a lot more hours of the same.

It's also currently cheaper to upgrade from audiophile to audiophile
than it is to upgrade from the EverythingPAK; and then there are also
return charges, time to return, time to wait again for delivery, etc.

And then there's what seems to be the biggest wait of all, and that
is copying ALL of the files to the harddrive if you don't want to
carry around the external drive.

I did read where someone used velcro to attach the external hd to
the bottom of their laptop. We know that this can block the air
ports and cause overheating of the laptop and/or the hd.

If you do return the audiophile version, I don't know what would keep
you from using the audiophile .wav files anyway, other than honesty

But the pricing structure just mentioned deters this from happening.
And if it does happen too often, PGMusic can easily disallow returns
of audiophile, or only allow the audiophile version as an upgrade.

Honestly, if you listen to Bob you won't spend the extra money. But
if you are 'one of those' who it's going to gnaw upon that you don't
have 'the best', or you ARE running a recording studio, then you
should spend the extra $$$ and get it over with.

Statistics show that if you do purchase the audiophile version, that
you will keep it instead of returning it.

I googled and did not see anywhere that you can 'sample' the two files
*.wma and *.wav side-by-side. This should be added to the website imo.

It will probably be added in the near future, as there is a huge interest
in the difference between the EverythingPAK and the audiophile versions.

If you do have the audiophile version, then you might do the following:
-- rename: JazzFunkFiery^_75_Style.wav to JazzFunkFiery^_075_Style.wav ...

This is a typo or an oversight of some kind, and the file should match both
the JazzFunkFiery^_075_Style.bt1 and JazzFunkFiery^_075_Style.wma files that
are already in that folder.

Note: It is in the C:\bb\Drums\JazzFunkFiery^ folder.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,604
Posts735,001
Members38,512
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
BroDon, Xtian, michael07716, Ronsei, McYann
38,511 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186