Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman

I have noticed that there are a lot of people posting their song's as they get them done. Oh boy, I hope that no one takes offense at this, but when you write a new song are you actually taking out a copyright on your song's? The reason that I ask this is because a song is a creation that we all know, I am not personal friends with this person that I know of, but on some posting boards he will brag that he checks sites like this to get knew ideas form, not only that, he checks the "copyright website" to see if there is actually a copyright on the songs that either have been posted, or! I.E. The name of the song or does a Google search to find out who the posters real identity is. The re-checks under your real name to see if you have a copyright on your work. To me, this is a word to the wise, so everything that I have been writing has been copyrighted; That way I am just taking precaution. So if you write your original songs, pleas,pleas,pleas,pleas, make sure that they have a copyright on them. I hope that I have not made anyone mad by bringing this up, but as a songwriter we need to be very cautious.

Music is an expression that is a universal language, Never criticize anybody to harshly. They need time to grow but when they do, they do. Always be kind in what you say and do because the man upstairs is watching.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Bob,

Here's a little video on copyright. It might help clear up some mysteries.

video about copyright (on Youtube)

The minute anyone creates a song in some tangible form, there are six copyrights that automatically exist. These are guaranteed by Government legislation. It's not necessary to register copyrights. The registration process with the Copyright Office is simply an additional safeguard.

It seems to me that the person you know is not aware of these facts and that he or she may well be breaking the law.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Quote:

...but on some posting boards he will brag that he checks sites like this to get knew ideas form, not only that, he checks the "copyright website" to see if there is actually a copyright on the songs that either have been posted,...

I would wager that the person mentioned above, who scouts for ideas and checks for copyright registration, couldn't write a good, original song if their life depended on it. Anyway, ideas and titles CAN NOT be copyrighted.

Is registering of a copyright a good thing to do? Probably -- but only do "collections" so you save money. Of course, registration is required before you can bring a copyright infringement lawsuit.

Now let's say this internet troll does copy your song. You might send him a note saying "Hey, cut it out!" But will you get a lawyer to write a cease and desist order for $250 - $500? Or pay a lawyer $20,000 to sue him? Maybe if the person is making tons of money on the song

In the end, there really isn't much protection any more. We live in a "golden age" where songs are commodities to be downloaded, used and sampled with no regard for the original copyright holder. Heck, how about Google Images? Those photos are all copyrighted -- how many of us have used them without getting prior permission?

I am putting together 2 CD's in the next couple of months. I will probably send those off to get registered as collections. But I don't believe it will offer much protection against anything.

Kevin

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi Kevin, you are right on a lot of points, and I do agree with you about people living in the golden age. But! A friend of mine, who has many copyrighted works, has sued people for copyright infringement. He did find out who was doing this and hired a copyright attorney. First of all when you talk about a person having to get a lawyer and it cost $20,000.00 that is just a small amount, but you have to find a lawyer to cover it on a contingency basis. Now, any good lawyer that is a decent one will take that, because what contingency means for the people, who don't know this, is where the lawyer takes the case if you have reasonable proof beyond a shadow of a doubt that someone has infringed upon you they get paid when you get paid. That means that if you win and will win with proof, the lawyer gets paid when you get paid. The penalties for infringing upon someone’s copyright is $250,000.00 and $20,000.00 to pay for an attorney is not that much to pay an attorney if you win; And that is not even an “IF”! Because you own the copyright certificate and you can produce that in court. That is why the copyright is so very important, because you have sad that I did such and such a work at such and such a time and that will stand up in a federal state and any other kind of court that they have out there. Not only do they have to pay you $250,000.00 they have to pay you any monies that you have made off of the work, and they have to turn any existing copies of that work over to the authorities to be destroyed. And if they fail to do that, they will get a 10 - 20 year prison sentence. There is no black and white, if you really want to be protected make sure that you have a copyright it is worth it. And if people really want to they can push it if they have an infringement and the wits, they can push it. You are right that people can download things off of the internet and use it any way that they want to, and everyone is not going to get caught, but the people that do, they will think twice before they ever do that again.

Music is an expression that is a universal language, Never criticize anybody to harshly. They need time to grow but when they do, they do. Always be kind in what you say and do because the man upstairs is watching.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nothing of mine is ever posted anywhere until that copyright document is in my desk dawer. No reason to take a chance.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I agree with Eddie. I get copyrights before I post. Sometimes I wonder if it's just ego, but I sure feel better having them. I also agree with Kevin to send them in as collections. This appeals to my thrifty ie. cheap, side.
SD

User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
It's worth noting, perhaps, that nothing in legal matters is 100% guaranteed and that if you should lose, you could still end up paying the other party's costs.

ROG.

User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Same here, Spacedog, I also get my copyrights in place and I do the same, I copyright in collections that way I don't have to worry. By this post I was just trying to tell people how important it is for that little document. That is an ultimate protection, because of the penalties that are implied with this protection. It somewhat keeps people on the straight an narrow.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Ha, ha -- good luck finding a lawyer to take a copyright infringement case on contingency unless it is against Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga or something like that. Did you know that you have to prove infringement AND that the other parties had access to your material? Yes, two people can independently come up with very similar lyrics and melody (there are only 12 notes) and both would be protected.

Let's say I infringed on your copyright and you got judgement of $250,000 + lawyer fees. Once you got judgement, you would then have to file for collection since I wouldn't be able to pay that. If it did happen, I could always declare bankruptcy.

Quote:

...But! A friend of mine, who has many copyrighted works, has sued people for copyright infringement. He did find out who was doing this and hired a copyright attorney. ...

I wonder if that all ended up being a waste of time or not.

Did you know that the vast majority of pro Nashville written songs are NOT registered until they get close to being cut and then the publisher takes care of most of that stuff? ... at least that is what I have heard.

Do what you want, but no one is really going to steal your songs (although I did see it happen once on an internet forum).

Kevin

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
If the copyright holder's attorney can claim the infringement was a felonious act then it cannot be discharged in bankruptcy. Felonies are not discharge-able nor do they enjoy statute of limitations privileges. At least that's my understanding. I am not a lawyer but I have engaged a patent attorney who told me that infringements of under $250,000.00 aren't worth anyone's effort.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,608
Posts735,031
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon, Xtian
38,514 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185