Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
C
Cerio Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
C
Hy everyone. I'm experiencing problems trying to configure BIAB to use Asio4All, in order to play my VSTi in realtime along with the program.

I'm always getting the "Audio and/or DXi output will be silent. The ASIO4ALL driver is not connected, likely due to your using a softh-synth (like GS-WaveTable) for MIDI. Reboot Windows if persist." message. I think I solved the same problem in the past, but, as in many other ocasions, with so many (often hidden) options, I just can't remember how.

Thanks.

Veteran
Veteran
Try, for fun, checking a different synth in the drop down list, EVEN if you have use DXI box checked. For some reason, this worked for me in the past.

I have some gear, I just will NEVER play through the computer again. The interfaces for such stuff are too finicky to be of use for any length of time.

I play the EWI into my mixer to the speakers.

Then I trashed the whole ASIO business, never to return.

Others love it. Go figure. I was always partial to skinny and small and uncomplicated.

John Conley
Musica est vita
C
Cerio Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
C
Thanks for the suggestion, John, maybe I've misunderstood you, but if you're speaking about choosing another VSTi on the thru channel slot, once choosen the ASIO4ALL driver, it doesn't work either.

In my opinion, ASIO is great and very useful in many situtations, I use Asio4all all the time with other programs, and a lot of modern audio interfaces need it to work properly, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work very well in BIAB. Maybe it's an area that need some rework in future versions of BIAB.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Veteran
Veteran
ASIO does not work properly in BIAB & RB.If I was a betting man I'd say that the ASIO portion of the code for BIAB & RB is at fault and should be looked at very carefully by the programmers.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Veteran
Veteran
Remember that ASIO4ALL is not ASIO. It is a WDM driver with a wrapper to make it work as an ASIO driver would.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
F
Expert
Expert
F
I am on a MAC now and using BIAB for MAC. On the PC I had the same problems for years. ASIO drivers for the ECHO and M-Audio soundcards didn't work. Same goes for ASIO4ALL. PG has known about these issues for many years and has chosen not to address them. Legacy code I suspect, that is too costly to redo. Best bet is to export your MIDI as fast as you can and bring it into your DAW. That is what I did.

Fred Grittner
2020 iMac, Sonoma, Logic Pro
https://52tracksblog.com
https://fredgrittner.bandcamp.com
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi Cerio,

ASIO4ALL does work in Band-in-a-Box and RealBand, but there's often an extra step involved, which isn't obvious.

Basically, ASIO4ALL and the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth don't get along, so if you have the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth or the MIDI Mapper selected as your MIDI output driver, ASIO4ALL won't work, and you'll get that error message.

A lot of people don't have any other MIDI drivers available, so the easiest solution we've come up with is to install the LoopBe1 MIDI driver (which is free), and select is as your MIDI Output Driver. After restarting the program, you should be good.

You can get Loopbe1 from this page: http://nerds.de/en/download.html

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

Veteran
Veteran
What Kent is suggesting is what I was trying to say. Except for the latter part where you get another synth you don't use to make it work.

It has been that way for a long time.

Somehow the whole thing should go away at the hardware level.

Every time there is an update to the core parts of windows that deals with this it trips all kinds of people and their software.

People are quick to blame the software from PG music when it lacks the setting to run the Tassimo machine by tethering to an open blue tooth connection in another country. I suppose someday that will roast most vendors when the foam dissipates to quickly to decorate the smooth black liquid. Starbucks here I come, Ipad in hand. Or not.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Veteran
Veteran
I use MIDIYoke (versus LoopBe) to accomplish the same thing. ASIO4ALL works fine on my system.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Another example of why if you're getting into digital audio you need to read this and other forums to educate yourself about the world of computer nerddom. Nerddom? Is that a word?? Anyway, a lot of people will just say "all I want to do is play and create some music, I don't want to become a Windows expert". Well, you do if you want to keep doing this stuff.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
When your computer is your instrument, you've got to learn how to use that instrument to play it well. Well said, Bob.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
C
Cerio Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
C
Hi, Kent, I've done what you said, and it works, thank you very much. It's strange, I was pretty sure that I could make it work without having to install an extra MIDI output port, but my memory can be wrong.

Anyway, I think PGMusic should change this behaviour, or at least adding the info you gave here to that error message: having no sound output at all (with MIDI or Audio tracks) because you MIDI Out port is incompatible with your ASIO drivers is somewhat strange and counterintutitive. I suspect that here's the origin of a lot of users' headaches!

BIAB 2024, latest build.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
It is human nature to suspect that a lot of people are having a certain problem that you are having, Cerio.

However, in this particular case, the reports from a single forum user, or even multiple forum users for that matter, likely only represents a fractional percentage of users' experience.

That said, if PGMusic Development Team can duplicate a certain problem on their machines and setups, that problem stands a good chance of getting fixed in future.

Certain perceived problems may also be related to the user's expectation of how something should work, or how they *think* it should work, as well.

And then there's the ever-present problem that MIDI alone can create for folks. We have so many choices as to MIDI synths and types, software or hardware, and not all creations are designed in exactly the same fashion, meaning that it is still going to be up to the End User to sort out the do's and don'ts and learn more about the situation at hand in order to make their music happen. Just how it is. Music making on home computers is still very much in a development phase, some day things might sort out to the point where it is a mature and rather fixed situation where we can count on the vast majority of programs, hardwares, softwares, plugins, etc. to always work in the same expected fashion, but those days are not upon us yet. Those days may also culminate in spelling the END of users even trying to do this thing, only time will tell.

--Mac

C
Cerio Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
C
Mac, you made some interesting observations, and I can understand your points. However, I would like to clarify some things: I said that "I suspect that here's the origin of a lot of users' headaches!" for several reasons:

First of all, just because I've seen a lot of users reporting ASIO problems with BIAB or RB in this forum.

Second, because I've used Asio4all with other programs without any problem; the only audio program in wich I've experienced problems with that driver is BIAB, wich made me think that the problem was on the particular way that BIAB manages ASIO drivers.

Third, because I still really can't see how some incompatibility between your ASIO drivers and your MIDI Output (wich is by no means PG Music fault) can cause a a total lack of audio output from BIAB. Just before posting that message, I tested the problem in Reaper to see how things worked there: if you use Asio4all there and activate the Microsoft GS Wavetable as MIDI Output, the program will inform you that "The following MIDI Outputs could not be opened: Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth", but after that everything will just work without problems (of course, if you selected the Microsoft synth as a MIDI output for any track, it won't work). The logic here is: since that specific MIDI Output don't work, it won't be availiable. The logic on BIAB, as I see it (please, correct me if I'm wrong) is: since that MIDI output don't work, nothing will work (even if you're not using the problematic MIDI output).

Fourth, because I have some experience in the way people uses to think when trying to solve computer problems (I've worked troubleshooting computers for several years) and, in my opinion, it would be really difficult for the average user (or even for the advanced user) to solve this problem by himself: I think there are just not enough information on the error message and / or some pieces missing in the puzzle.

Veteran
Veteran
Fred and Cerio, a couple of points. First ASIO4ALL is NOT ASIO as Matt said. Think about that for a minute. When you say PG has problems with ASIO and then refer to some third party program you download for free off the internet and that program is not real ASIO, then that is not a fair statement. PG doesn't have problems with ASIO if the problem is with ASIO4ALL.

I use an EMU 1820M interface. It comes with EMU's ASIO driver. That is true ASIO and it works perfectly with PG products. I also have a Roland Sonic Cell, it also has it's own ASIO driver and it also works perfectly. Same with M-Audio and many others. Both EMU (now owned by Creative) and Roland are very large companies, their stuff ain't cheap and their stuff works perfectly. See a pattern here? If your interface doesn't come with it's own ASIO driver and yet you need ASIO why did you buy it? I suggest you dump it and get one that does and don't complain because some freebie you download that isn't even true ASIO and PG had nothing to do with doesn't work.

Note I'm using a modern robust machine. If you're using some 10 year old antique computer and complaining about stuff like this, that ain't PG's problem either. The Help box in the audio setup window talks about how ASIO is CPU intensive so you're going to have problems with an old, slow PC.

I agree with the comment those error boxes need work but that's another issue.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
C
Cerio Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
C
Jazzmammal, you're right when you say that Asio4All is not ASIO, sorry for that. Other than that, it seems (with all my respects) that you haven't read my previous post: Asio4All (wich is not a "freebie", but a serious and very widely used ASIO driver, btw) works perfectly well with other programs, at least in my system, and it seems (I gave the arguments in that post, but of course I can be wrong) that the problem is due to the way BIAB handles ASIO drivers and MIDI Out ports.

Anyway, the solution given by Kent works, it solved my problem and it's a good workaround. If PGMusic decide to address this issue on future versions, I'll be happy; if not, I'll be happy too. In the meanwhile I'm not going to dump my lovely Alesis Multimix, it works really well and I'm very happy with it too!

PS: Yes, I'm using a modern computer (Core i7, lots of RAM...), I'm up to date, etc, etc, etc...

Veteran
Veteran
Cerio, you're happy now and that's great. In fact you have a much better system than I do and mine is pretty good. Still, you start out by saying you agree that ASIO4ALL is not really ASIO then you go on to say:

Quote:

ASIO4ALL(wich is not a "freebie", but a serious and very widely used ASIO driver, btw)

and

Quote:

the problem is due to the way BIAB handles ASIO drivers and MIDI Out ports.

We're not talking about a real ASIO driver. ASIO4ALL is NOT ASIO and yes it's a freebie, did you pay for it? And, with one simple tweak from Kent everything is good so where's the problem?

I think your problem is with the blurb on Alesis' website describing your Multimix. It's missing one important thing and that is their own ASIO driver. So, what do they do? They put a link to ASIO4ALL and say this: "ASIO4ALL - optional ASIO driver for Windows..." That sounds nice doesn't it? Completely deceiving because it sounds like it's a real ASIO driver that will work with the Multimix. Not so, it's a freebie third party piece of software that usually works ok but no guarantees. That Multimix is causing just as many problems with lots of users as you think PG and ASIO is. I just did a Google search using the words "alesis multimix asio problems" and posts come up from all over the place. Check it out yourself.

The thing is any company is responsible for what they advertise. PG says they're compatible with ASIO and they have been for the last several years now. I admit they were not so great at it 5 years ago. I had a problem with ASIO with my old machine but with my new one, everything is perfect.

If you or anybody else reading this thinks PG has a problem with a real, legitimate ASIO driver post it and we can discuss it. However, in my opinion anyway, if somebody is using a machine more than say 6 years old, don't bother. Of course there's always exceptions with anything (look at Ryszrd's nightmare with his brand new custom built PC) but I'll bet real ASIO works fine for 95% of the users who understand how to set it up properly.

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
I disagree Bob.Yes you're high end computer may be able to overcome the unusually high processor load required by PG products.It is this high demand by PG products that seems to cause issues with Native ASIO drivers & emulators.My believe & opinion is this:You see, BIAB stuff is and always has been a "native" WINMM audio app.
They only started supporting ASIO since around 2006?
I'm pretty sure that for them to fix ASIO they have to
"break/re-write" their trusted WINMM engine code
and that is probably to much work and risky for them.
I'm not a programmer & have no direct knowledge but this is my guess as to the issues with ASIO.
Btw; I doubt those few PG forum users that claim to have success with
BIAB<->ASIO.
They most likely use very powerful desktop PCs so that the abnormal
high CPU usage of BIAB<->ASIO gets swamped by the sheer processing
power of those PCs. But that's abnormal usage and as such an
unacceptable solution to the problem.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Veteran
Veteran
AMD triple core (2.3gHz) 4 gig RAM, M-Audio ASIO drivers, 18 audio tracks, 4 MIDI tracks, hit record on an audio track and processor goes to 47% or so ...
Doesn't seem too excessive to me.
I think it's more of a 'what else is running on that machine' issue as far as processing power. And 'how the machine is set up'. Laptops are often at a disadvantage to begin with because of having only one drive to access for both reading and writing. That's why I still prefer desktop for recording.

My old machine was AMD 2.1 single core with 2 gig RAM and ran about the same number of tracks using ASIO at about 80% processor use.
There are a lot of factors on a machine that can affect ASIO performance. Good drivers is the first one, but there are many others if you think about how ASIO works.

One other thing about ASIO4All; since many here are starting to use USB devices, read the FAQ at ASIO4All site on how to set it up. If you are going to use ASIO4All on USB do not install any ASIO drivers. Let ASIO4All work through through the native windows USB drivers. And don't check the DMA enable box.
Like I said, setting it up is often more the issue than the system.

Last edited by rharv; 05/26/12 05:56 AM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
C
Cerio Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
C
Hi, jazmammal.

I really don't want to have an argument, but I think you're still missing my point:

It seems that there's some kind of incompatibility between ASIO4ALL and the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth. This is, of course not PG Music fault.

Now, for testing purposes, I tried to use both in Reaper. By default, Microsoft Synth is deactivated (I suposse because most of the people simply don't use it nowadays), so after activating it, I got an error message informing me that I was not going to be able to use the Microsoft Synth. Other than that, I could continue using the program normally: audio worked, software synths worked, everything worked except that Microsoft thing. Right.

On the other hand, if you try to use both in BIAB nothing is going to work. No audio, no MIDI, no software synths, nothing works no matter if you're using or not that Microsoft synth. The only thing you get is a message that says that "The ASIO4ALL driver is not connected, likely due to your using a softh-synth (like GS-WaveTable) for MIDI.", even if you're only using realtracks or if you're using DXi and VSTi for MIDI. And the only suggestion BIAB actually gives is to reboot the computer, wich actually is not going to work. (Again, if I'm loosing somehting, please let me know)

Now try to see the problem from the average end user perspective who may not even know this forum...

Last edited by Cerio; 05/26/12 07:11 AM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,581
Posts734,680
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200