Print Thread
Go To
#161416 06/02/12 04:09 PM
User Showcase
toucher Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
A Tried and true title I guess, but conducive to the nature of the song. This was a collaboration between three of us. Jen Shaner wrote the original poem, I set it to music and help rearrage some of the lyrics, Sarah Kingswell, did the vocals long distance from the UK and help with input on the trax and a few lyric changes again.

Several re-writes, and the song has changed drastically from its original conception to what we hope is the final demo version. Hoping to get a few of you to give it a listen and let me know what you think overall.

Music is all BIAB, and Real Band and realtracks, with the exception of the Cello and strings.

You forumites have a way of listening to a song and giving feedback that doesn't toot your own horn. I can respect the opinion of everyone here.

http://www.reverbnation.com/open_graph/song/13444709

Hope you enjoy it, but if you don't please let me know why.......

Thanks

Rob

toucher #161417 06/02/12 06:43 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Rob,

I really enjoyed that. I agree, "I Remember" is definitely a strong contender for title! Overall, the sound I heard was incredibly professional. Kudos to you on that.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
toucher #161418 06/02/12 08:00 PM
User Showcase
C
Apprentice
Apprentice
C
Rob,
Very, very good. With the exception of what I thought was a rather abrupt cymbal ending (maybe just due to the cheap speakers I'm listening on), I think you've nailed it.

Curt Young #161419 06/02/12 08:11 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very nice, Rob.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
jford #161420 06/03/12 02:28 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A very good song Rob, I really enjoyed this one.

As far as suggestions are concerned, I can only suggest things that I might tweak if I were mixing it:

1. On my headphones there is a Left bias to the panning. There's more stuff panned L than R and there's a bit of clutter once things get going, as the strings and backing vocals are in the same notes/octave area. I'd pan the acoustic guitar almost hard left, get BIAB to do a second one (it'll be slightly different hopefully, or use a similar style) and pan that one hard right, i.e. so it sounds like two guitarists. That will create a more solid sonic frame for the song, especially the intro.
2. A tiny bit of reverb on the lead vocal wouldn't go amiss, or delay if you want to keep the voice close and intimate.
3. Add a bit of 'air' EQ to the top of the vocal around the 14-16kHz area.
4. I can't hear any bass. Is there one? It should audibly enter with the drums.
5. The strings need to come up in the mix to add more substance when the second verse starts. Pan them a bit wider than 2 o'clock. Take them up an octave for the second chorus to add more interest.
6. There should be a cymbal crash at 1:05 after the drums come in with the fill.
7. The title that jumps out at me is 'Memories Won't Lie'.

John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
Skyline #161421 06/03/12 07:18 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Rob,

Very nice song - enjoyed it...

Bob

rsdean #161422 06/03/12 10:11 AM
User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Song is excellent, to me the vocal seems to be overpowering the guitar solo part just a little. This is to my ears. The level seems fine once the rest of the music joins in. Even with that this was an excellent collaboration. Thanks you all for sharing!

My Music

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
toucher #161423 06/03/12 04:32 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
hi rob very nice peace enjoyed very much everything sounds fine on my system eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
F.M.M. #161424 06/03/12 04:52 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Good stuff Rob, a very enjoyable listen.

Congrats!

Danny C. #161425 06/03/12 05:00 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I agree with John, just a little tune-up would make it incredible. Great Singer and Lyrics!

Tommyc #161426 06/03/12 06:24 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great collaboration Toucher.

Rob4580 #161427 06/03/12 08:10 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice collab Rob. I agree with John (Skyline) especially on adding a little verb to the vox.

Sundance #161428 06/04/12 08:00 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Rob,

This is quite polished and the lead vox – although a touch cloying at times – is nice and clean and pleasant enough.

John has gone into great length on the mix (he has the ears for that sort of thing!) so I’m addressing my comments chiefly to the composition itself.

The structure is ok – slightly bereft of surprises, with rather too much similarity between the chorus and verse progressions for my taste.

I do think that the harmonies are overdone. I would suggest that just one backing voice – if the right one, of course - would be more poignant in most places.

The intro exposes what I always feel to be the major flaw with these audio loop based programmes. They play what they want, and not necessarily what the composer intended.
The root note of that acoustic gtr intro is jumping around all over the place.

Contrast this to the line followed by the ‘cello (which is actually being played) at 1:30. C up to E up to F up to G (or whatever key this is in), thereby reinforcing the chord structure.

There is something not quite right about the drum entry at 1:01, but I can’t put my finger on what it is. Perhaps it should come in with some sort of break rather than just 'playing straight'.

I think you could have gone with 2 verses here before the chorus.

My main difficulty – and it is quite a major one – is that in the key section of the song, i.e. lines 1 and 2 of the chorus, the lyric and the melody simply don’t fit.

The stress on ‘memories’ falls, of course, on the first sylable.
You wouldn’t ask “what are your earliest memoRIES?”
I know some other forum members do not see this as a problem, but I find that this grates terribly (even when established artists do it, which they do often).

Contrast this to using the following more-or-less nonsense lyric which I offer simply to illustrate the point (for those first lines of the chorus)
In my heart, you’ll remain
In my heart, there’s a stain..

The section from 2:45 – 3:17 feels to me like it is going nowhere. It’s not different enough from the rest of the piece to qualify as a bridge – musically it’s just padding, although I do concede that it is here that the lyric is propelled forwards “please remember that I love you still”

oh and the intro click can go now!

For all this, this piece has a nice Emmylou feel to it and I enjoyed listening to it.

very best regards,

Marc

toucher #161429 06/04/12 11:01 AM
User Showcase
toucher Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Wow!,

Incredible feedback, you guys outdid yourselves this time. Several of the suggestions have been discussed and some tried. There are a few though that I will definitely have to try and see what the other writers think.

Thanks to all for taking the time to listen and comment. It may take awhile between other projects to try some of the suggested changes, I'll repost at some point in the future when that happens.

Again, thanks for the input.

Rob

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,573
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199