Go To
#161958 06/08/12 12:30 PM
User Showcase
Beagle Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
How often am I allowed to post?

I have several done and these are going on my first CD release planned for this fall. This particular song is the anchor. the intro is a little long, but bear with it. I think the intro is important like it is and you'll understand when the rest of the song starts up.

Credits:
Part__________________Name
Hatian Creole_________Philip Traynor
Simple Chinese________YeaLy Traynor
Latin_________________Adrian Earnshaw (spoken by his mother)
German________________Mark Haigh
French________________Mark Haigh
Welsh_________________Rob Pulman
Japanese______________Ben Dorman (spoken by his wife Tomoko)
Argentinan____________Herb Hartley via cell phone from Argentinan village
Melanesian Pidgin_____Janet Wohlgemut
PNG Abelam____________Janet Wohlgemut

Electric Guitar_______BIAB: 838 -Guitar, Elec Rhythm Pop Ballad Clean Elec Ev
Acoustic Guitar_______BIAB: 703 -Guitar, Acoustic STrumming Spirited Ev
Bass Guitar___________BIAB: 700 -Bass, Electric Pop Half Notes Push Ev
Drums_________________BIAB MIDI Superior Drummer NY Avatar kit
Organ_________________Beagle on Motif
Lead Vocals___________Beagle
Backing vocals________Yvonne Utz

Style: _MDBALCL Medium Pop Ballad Guits

Mixed in Sonar X1x64

When I Pray (c) 2010 Reece Bain

Verse1
Here we seek You, As we gather and fall down on our knees
As we cry out, From our sad hearts, begging forgiveness please.
Sounds of many lifting voices How can you hear our pleas?
Prechorus
Can You hear me? Through the voices as I bow my head and pray?
Chorus
When I pray? When I pray?
When I pray? When I pray?
Verse 2
The cries of many All around us lifting to the sky
What's the purpose that you tell us to pray and we comply?
Can we know that You will hear us or do the prayers just pass You by?
Prechorus
Chorus + When I pray? When I pray?
Bridge
Lord I hear you speak through Your word and now I know You hear me when I pray
Chorus x2

When I Pray

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/when-i-pray

Beagle #161959 06/08/12 12:48 PM
User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Great song. Very well produced. Love the harmonies. Like ending it with the excerpt from the Lords prayer, fit the song very well. To answer your question about posting. I do not know of any limit, I would suggest that you keep it in this same thread, instead of making a bunch of new threads. I would post a song and give it a few days for feedback and then post another. Once again I suggest that you use the same thread. Thanks for sharing! God bless!

My Music

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
PgFantastic #161960 06/08/12 03:05 PM
User Showcase
Beagle Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks very much Robert!

I appreciate the listen and great comments!

actually, tho, the question was a little "tongue in cheek"
according to the FAQ for the User Showcase forum, we're supposed to start a new thread for each song.
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=282880&an=0&page=0#Post282880

anyway - thanks again! I appreciate it!

Last edited by Beagle; 06/08/12 03:05 PM.
Beagle #161961 06/09/12 01:40 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Beagle,

One thing that stood out to me as I listened was the strength and confidence of the performance. You've written a great song here. In addition, it's arranged with flair and produced with attention to detail. You kept my interest all the way!

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #161962 06/09/12 12:26 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Beagle,

Good song! Yes, He does hear us.

Thanks for sharing this one with us!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
Steve Young #161963 06/10/12 04:30 AM
User Showcase
Beagle Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi Noel,
thanks so much! I appreciate the listen and great comments! I'm glad this one kept your interest - that's a great thing to hear!

Hi Steve,
Yes, He does! thanks so much!

Beagle #161964 06/13/12 09:39 AM
User Showcase
Beagle Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I'm not getting a lot of response here. I'm not upset about it, I'm just curious, is it because the song is bad or is it maybe just that Christian Music is not listened to very much here?

Or something else? I've been listening and commenting on other people's tracks - but maybe not enough?

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining - I'm not. I'm just trying to determine if there's something I'm doing wrong here?

Beagle #161965 06/13/12 06:45 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Christian music doesn't get as much feedback in my experience.

Obviously lots of effort went into this. For me, I'm not into that long intro with all the voices. Then all the voices again. It's not bad at all and quite creative - just not my thing. Also I personally liked your vocal more in the higher register toward the end - again just my taste and opinion but it seemed to me that the key was maybe borderline low for you on the main part of the vocals. Not saying it sounds bad.

Creative production and timely message.

Sundance #161966 06/13/12 06:52 PM
User Showcase
Beagle Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks Josie! I appreciate the honesty! I can take honesty, I just don't care for the silent treatment!

This is a "creative" song and thus the long intro and the voices again in the bridge. this is the only one of my songs like this.

I have hopes that people can listen to "Christian music" without judging it before hearing it. I like to listen to all kinds of music because music is spiritual in itself. But I guess I hope too much!

thanks again! appreciate the honest feedback!

Beagle #161967 06/17/12 03:36 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
hi beagle well done great song i would cut back the voices a bit in the begining other then that very creative and brings glory to God bless you thanks eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
Beagle #161968 06/17/12 05:00 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Beagle, this is fantastic. Great strong vocals with a super backing track. I really like the lyrics. But like Josie I didn’t care for the intro. Maybe just one voice would work, don’t know. Loved the ending! Maybe the intro could be the start of the Lord’s Prayer and the ending the end of it?

Two thumbs up!

I haven’t been on much as it’s spring here, thus the honey do list is quite long! I have a lot of outdoor projects going one. When it gets hot and muggy I’ll have more time, I hope!

I prefer to see each new song as a new thread. Many times I will respond to a song, check to see if there was a response but then never come back to it. It sounds like I’m missing some tunes!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
MarioD #161969 06/18/12 04:46 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice Job, love the Lyrics!

Tommyc #161970 06/18/12 06:05 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very well done! I loved the different voices at the beginning. It really makes the song poignant.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
jford #161971 06/19/12 06:55 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Beagle,

here are my thoughts:

1) I thought the chords and melody in the "when I pray.." part complemented each other extremely well, which made it very catchy. I can imagine this being a favorite congregational sing-along in your church.

2) Regarding voices in the intro and again in the middle of the song:
I like this concept a lot... the idea of believers from all over the world lifting up their voices in prayer is absolutely spine-tingling! However, if you hadn't posted the credits stating the different languages I am almost certain that I would not have understood your intention. I would have wondered why you inserted random noise into the song. Something like this would work better if the song had an accompanying video, because the graphics could help to define the specific intent of the voices.

Having said that, the target audience for this song is a church congregation, and I think they would be more oriented toward recognizing the significance of the voices than a general audience would be.

3) I was a bit surprised but pleased when the song changed from a minor key to a major key, because that is an excellent musical adaptation of how prayer works in the attitude of the person praying. Prayer often begins mournfully, focused on self and personal need, but then elevates the inner man to an awareness that is larger than these pieces of meat we're trapped in, and eventually focuses on the joy that is available only in the new man

("For God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind"... that verse, if put to music would start out in a minor key, and end up in a swelling major key)

4) Josie is right.. if you look down the list of songs in the user showcase, those that are Christian in content consistently have fewer comments. This is partly because religion has a polarizing effect, and many here steadfastly avoid any reference to it... so the potential number of people who might comment is automatically smaller

But shame on us of like faith if we fail to encourage one another in the use of music as a ministry. But even having said that, I'm a little cautious about dispensing praise for faith-based activity, because praise is a powerful drug that often addicts well-meaning people to the affirmation of men instead of from God.

I doubt that's a problem for you though.. the above comment says more about me than it does about you. I hope your songs minister to your congregation, and to the world if you make them avaialable.

F.M.M. #161972 06/19/12 01:41 PM
User Showcase
Beagle Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Quote:

hi beagle well done great song i would cut back the voices a bit in the begining other then that very creative and brings glory to God bless you thanks eric

Thanks so much Eric! I appreciate it very much!

MarioD #161973 06/19/12 01:44 PM
User Showcase
Beagle Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Quote:

Beagle, this is fantastic. Great strong vocals with a super backing track. I really like the lyrics. But like Josie I didn’t care for the intro. Maybe just one voice would work, don’t know. Loved the ending! Maybe the intro could be the start of the Lord’s Prayer and the ending the end of it?

Two thumbs up!

I haven’t been on much as it’s spring here, thus the honey do list is quite long! I have a lot of outdoor projects going one. When it gets hot and muggy I’ll have more time, I hope!

I prefer to see each new song as a new thread. Many times I will respond to a song, check to see if there was a response but then never come back to it. It sounds like I’m missing some tunes!

Hi Mario! thanks so much! I appreciate the listen and the comments! I very much appreciate your honesty - I always accept honest comments as long as someone's being constructive according to what they hear and feel.

thanks so much for taking the time to listen and give your feedback!

Beagle #161974 06/19/12 01:46 PM
User Showcase
Beagle Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks Tommy! I appreciate the listen and comments!

Thanks John! I'm glad you liked it. it's not everyone's "cuppa" but I was going for something creative to drive the point. I appreciate it!

Pat Marr #161975 06/19/12 02:04 PM
User Showcase
Beagle Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Pat,
wow, thanks so much for the detailed critique! I truly appreciate this and every comment from everyone!

let me address comments individually below.

Quote:

Hi Beagle,

here are my thoughts:

1) I thought the chords and melody in the "when I pray.." part complemented each other extremely well, which made it very catchy. I can imagine this being a favorite congregational sing-along in your church.

personally I thought this wouldn't necessarily make a great "congregation" song, but you're not the only one who has said that, so maybe it will! I have presented it to some churches for their use if they want.
Quote:

2) Regarding voices in the intro and again in the middle of the song:
I like this concept a lot... the idea of believers from all over the world lifting up their voices in prayer is absolutely spine-tingling! However, if you hadn't posted the credits stating the different languages I am almost certain that I would not have understood your intention. I would have wondered why you inserted random noise into the song. Something like this would work better if the song had an accompanying video, because the graphics could help to define the specific intent of the voices.

Having said that, the target audience for this song is a church congregation, and I think they would be more oriented toward recognizing the significance of the voices than a general audience would be.

Thanks! I was really looking for a creative way to get the point across and this idea came to me when we had a service with different people reading the bible in different languages. It made me think of all of the different languages that are lifted up by the millions at the same time and how God must "hear" us as a bunch of chaotic noise, but yet still hears each of us as an individual voice.
Quote:

3) I was a bit surprised but pleased when the song changed from a minor key to a major key, because that is an excellent musical adaptation of how prayer works in the attitude of the person praying. Prayer often begins mournfully, focused on self and personal need, but then elevates the inner man to an awareness that is larger than these pieces of meat we're trapped in, and eventually focuses on the joy that is available only in the new man

("For God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind"... that verse, if put to music would start out in a minor key, and end up in a swelling major key)

FANTASTIC! that's exactly what I wanted to convey with that change! it's subtle since it goes from Cm to C but the feel gives you an uplift at the point where the singer "gets it".

Quote:

4) Josie is right.. if you look down the list of songs in the user showcase, those that are Christian in content consistently have fewer comments. This is partly because religion has a polarizing effect, and many here steadfastly avoid any reference to it... so the potential number of people who might comment is automatically smaller

yes, I am seeing that and I understand. that's OK. I like to listen to all kinds of music myself (as long as it's not offensive), but I know that's not necessarily true for the "other direction." thanks for the helpful direction on that!

Quote:

But shame on us of like faith if we fail to encourage one another in the use of music as a ministry. But even having said that, I'm a little cautious about dispensing praise for faith-based activity, because praise is a powerful drug that often addicts well-meaning people to the affirmation of men instead of from God.

that is absolutely true! it's a two sided coin and we have to be careful we're not praising man just for praise, but that we are encouraging each other as we are supposed to do. it's a balance!

Quote:

I doubt that's a problem for you though.. the above comment says more about me than it does about you. I hope your songs minister to your congregation, and to the world if you make them avaialable.

thanks Pat! I try, but of course we all fall short!

thanks so much for the great comments, Pat! I appreciate it and it seems like you do like the song! thanks again!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,560
Posts734,413
Members38,491
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
VIPBET사설토토, GlebeGreg, michel vermeulen, Mikanh132, ABE
38,491 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 184