Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
All --

I am seeking recommendations for external speakers to make my laptop playback louder.

Here is the deal.

Playing Biab and my digital piano with headphones on sounds great.

However, I am working with individual musicians on various parts of a tune.

For example, I have a singer and I play piano and I want to have Biab play the drums and bass. I can use the built-in speakers in my digital piano (which are OK for small-room size playing), a Casio PX-130.

We cannot do this with headphones and we cannot do this with the built-in laptop speakers because they are too soft and have very little sound quality (bass range for instance).

So, I want to plug a cord into my headphone-out-jack and plug the other end into something-- like an amp-- and play it loud.

Ideally, whatever I get should work with the case when I am working 1-on-1 with a live drummer and Biab is playing bass.

Plus, of course, I am trying to do this on a budget, so I do not want to over-buy either.

BTW, one idea that I have is to get an amp that will be kind of dual-purpose. When I want to rehersey in a small room, I use the amp to will play Biab parts and I use my digital piano's built-in speakers. And, if I need to gig at a small open mike or lounge, I can bring the amp and use it to make my keyboard louder there. Etc.

I have been looking at stuff like this...

Behringer KT108 15-Watt Keyboard Amplifier

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-KT108-15...ds=keyboard+amp

Pignose PB-30 PB-30 Bass, Keyboard & Acoustic amplifier

http://www.amazon.com/Pignose-PB-30-Keyb...ds=keyboard+amp

Peavey Peavey KB 1 20W Keyboard Amp

http://www.amazon.com/Peavey-KB-20W-Keyb...ds=keyboard+amp

...so would they work for Biab playback?

What would you get if you had to solve this issue and had up to $300 to spend (but wanted to stay under $200 if possible)?

If possible, please mention brands, models, makes, wattage, etc, if you can-- I have limited knowledge in this area.

Thanks.

-- Mark Kamoski

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
http://www.klipsch.com/bookshelf-speakers

Klipsch has always been my "go to" choice for speakers because you can't go wrong with any of their speakers.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
have you checked Craig's list to see if somebody is unloading an amp at a ridiculously low price? It's practically a cultural cliche that kids gear up on dad's money, then when they leave home and get married they sell the stuff for far less than its worth to buy diapers. Easy come, easy go.

Ads usually mention the make and model, and you can do a web search to determine if its a good deal or not.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
KRK Rokit RP-5's, Gen 2 self powered speakers. I have a set of Gen 1 and a set of Gen 2s. That's $300 right there. Combined with a Behringer 802 mixer would give you an excellent combo and a nice recording setup as well.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
If you're wanting to use this for live performance, you might want to re-think your output power. If you're looking at 15-30 watts you could struggle, or find you have to run it on 10, which won't give you the best quality.

Hopefully, John (Silvertones) will wade in on this one - he's the one to ask about live rigs.

ROG.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

"And, if I need to gig at a small open mike or lounge, I can bring the amp and use it to make my keyboard louder there. Etc."

Your budget is a bit low for what you want to do, and 15 watts is not going to cut it live - period. If you're not singing, just playing BIAB and your keyboard, look for a used guitar amp on CL. An 80 watt ss guitar amp will be plenty loud for an open mic.

If you need a bit more, look at some of the PA packages most retailers are selling.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/peavey-audio-performer-pack-portable-pa

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Just for a point of reference, when I was playing in bands, my KEYBOARD rig alone contained a 200w per side amp running stereo through Yamaha speakers. For live PA applications, you would be best served to buy the biggest amplifier you can. You can always turn down. Eventually, with a small amp, you will run out of "up". Then the tendency is to turn up the input levels, which leads to clipping.

Read up on amplitude vs volume. The short version is that amplitude level (I guess you can call it the gain stage) is the level you send into the amp. Volume is the amount of power you push OUT of the amp. Your amplitude is finite. If you go "into the red" you start to clip (distort). Rather buy more wattage than you think you'll ever need and give yourself the headroom.

You can find mixers and amps all over the internet. Craigslist and eBay are a gold mine. A typical quick and portable rig would be an 8 space rack with a mixer (4 spaces), a power amp (2 spaces), an EQ (1 space) and a digital reverb (1 space).

I don't know your level of experience with this stuff, so I will explain that a "space" is a 1 3/4" standardized unit of measure, so a 2 space unit is 1 3/4" x 2, or 3 1/2" total. Thus an 8 space rack, holding 8 x 1 3/4" is 14" of total space. Some company makes a really nice 12 space tabletop rack for like $30. I had 2 of those before I bought my rolling server rack that has 44 spaces. That allowed me to mount a full sized mixer and a bunch of 1 space units in the rolling rack.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I missed this part:

"Ideally, whatever I get should work with the case when I am working 1-on-1 with a live drummer and Biab is playing bass."

In that case, I would agree with Eddie:

"For live PA applications, you would be best served to buy the biggest amplifier you can."

We run 600 watts at 4 ohms through two Yammy S115V's just for vocals and backing tracks, and we're just a duo!

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Do not buy a guitar amp. Guitar amps are designed to be very midrange focused. Go for a keyboard amp or a smaller used pa system.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah, the key word here is bass. Bass takes power and larger speakers than you think you need. The instant you find the bass is getting buried and you turn up a small home rig, bam there goes the woofers in a blaze of glory.

Every single person who has no experience at this makes the same mistake at first. Too small, not enough power. One good pro level 12" 250W powered PA speaker by Mackie, JBL, EV or Yamaha will get you started and $300 should get you a good clean used one. Imho a guitar amp won't cut it because it's set up for guitar sounds not a full range sound which you need for Biab backing tracks. You said how good everything sounds through headphones, those are full range not just for guitar.

For small gigs I use a pair of 12" Electro Voice (EV) powered speakers that I bought used one for $275 and the other $300 but even that is not good enough as soon as I get a crowd of 25 or more if I'm playing bass. They're fine for just my keyboard stuff but not adding the bass. The bass is very difficult. You have to have a robust rig to play bass even in someone's living room as soon as you have other players. For that I use a regular PA setup, two JBL Eon 15's powered by a 500W Peavy amp. You think you won't need what I'm describing but with bass you do. Playing with other people even in your house, you and your friends want it to sound like a real band and the volume goes up. A strong singer even in your house with no mic is louder than you think. I have a 5'8 grand piano in my living room and I've had singers and sax players over. Those people are trained to blow or sing hard with control and can get get really loud. I've had to tell my sax friends to stand a little off to the side because he's blowing my head off and I have to dig into my piano to keep up with them and that's with no amps at all. Believe me about this. Just that pure acoustic volume level will completely blow out what you think are nice sized home studio speakers.

Go into the PA department at any big music store and check these pro speakers out. Those sell new for around $500 or so. And don't be fooled by thinking 10" powered speakers will be good enough. I bought a pair of used 10" Yamaha's many years ago thinking that and no, they were only good enough for monitors right next to me, the keyboard still had to go out through bigger stuff even at low volumes. Fact of life as a musician.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I only suggested a used guitar amp because they can be found all day long for cheap on CL.

Sure, the guy can get JBL's, Mackies, power amps, mixer, subs, and a fabulous light show - but can he do it with this?

"...but wanted to stay under $200 if possible."

I don't think the OP was looking for Van Halen's rig.

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
All --

*** UPDATE TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION ***

Thanks for the GREAT responses.

OK, it looks like my budget is too low to buy something worthwhile that will "grow with me", etc.

As such, I would increase my budget and pay $400-$600 because that makes more sense.

Also, when I say "whatever I get I want to be able to use at a gig at a small club or something like that", I am saying that "I want to be able to use it to make my digital piano loud enough to keep up with the rest of the band" -- but -- I do not intend to buy equipment to serve the band at-large. I envision that each player brings his/her amp-- bass brings an amp, guitar brings an amp, keyboard brings an amp, singer brings an amp, and drummer brings a full kit.

I thought that at some point we would need a mixer and put everything through a pa, for a "real" performance, but to start, we could just "everyone brings their own amp and that is good enough for rehearsal".

Also, I am hearing a lot about getting a full-range amp (keyboard or pa) and that is fine and I will do it. However, I am wondering how I can plan an "upgrade" and "scale up" path. So, get 1 amp now (whatever size) then use that for rehearsals and Biab play-through for missing backing parts. Then, add another one (of the same size and type) to scale-up for a bigger sound and prepare for a small club.

Is that doable and, if yes, then what kind of wattage am I looking for?

And is there any difference between a "keyboard speaker" and a "pa speaker"? Which is better?

Thanks and please keep the good answers coming, adjust as necessary given my "new budget" etc.

I appreciate it.

-- Mark Kamoski

Last edited by mkamoski; 06/17/12 09:59 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Between Craigslist, eBay and the used items at Guitar Center, and you can look at the used gear from EVERY store in the USA on their web page, you can find some steals.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.p...;gonew=1#UNREAD
The small rig would be ideal:
1.Two Kustom KPC10 speakers
2. 100watt per side amp
3. dual 31 Band EQ
4. Behringer mixer.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Also, I am hearing a lot about getting a full-range amp (keyboard or pa) and that is fine and I will do it. However, I am wondering how I can plan an "upgrade" and "scale up" path. So, get 1 amp now (whatever size) then use that for rehearsals and Biab play-through for missing backing parts. Then, add another one (of the same size and type) to scale-up for a bigger sound and prepare for a small club.

based on what you're saying here, I would recommend a keyboard amp with a line out jack. The jack will let you send output to the PA if you need to scale up. And by buying an amp instead of a PA, you won't be paying to amplify the whole band.

It's hard to recommend wattage without knowing more, but I think you'll find a lot of options in the 50 to 100 watt range. That should be plenty loud enough for practice and small to medium sized gigs. If you go larger with a PA, the amps wattage won't matter if the PA is loud enough for the venue.

Jazz doesn't tend to be as overpowering as rock, so 100 watts might be overkill for jazz keyboard, but it would give you plenty of headroom. Jazzmammal plays jazz keyboard, so his recommendation should be golden.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Just as an FYI, this is what I use to push 2 Yamaha speakers (connected in parallel to 2 JBL higher frequency range speakers).

That Peavey mixer is from like 1996 and was something like $150. 6 mic ins and 4 stereo channels that can also be used as 8 mono channels by panning L&R. Effects loop, tape in and out. Tracked down the last set of rack ears on the planet (that mixer is LONG out of production) from a warehouse in Mississippi for $30. (6 spaces)

That EQ I bought used for $40 on Guitar Center's used gear web page. (2 spaces)

The Alesis reverb I bought for $25 on Craigslist. (1 space)

The power amp is 450 per side (3 spaces), and it's an amazing story. I posted on Facebook that my power amp took a dump. Within TEN MINUTES there was a text message from a friend who said he had one he'd give me. I drove up to his house to pick it up, brought it home, took the cover off, blew the junk out, sprayed the pots with tuner cleaner, and it is in it's new home at the bottom of the band's practice PA rack. I gave him 2 tickets for him and his wife to attend our reunion show and we called it even.

The rack is a 12 space tabletop rack that costs $30 new from some company in that state up north. (Ohio State fans can't bring ourselves to name that state up north.)

So, to recap.

$150 for a mixer (and you can do better for used gear).
$30 for the rack ears (you may not even care to mount it).
$40 for a stereo 31 band EQ.
$25 for a digital reverb (and I have 4 of that model, all eBay or Craigslist finds).
$50 for 2 tickets in trade for a strong power amp.
$30 for a rack.

$325 for that whole rig.

Off-Topic
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
I can't say enough good things about the Behringer EuroLive B205D monitor speakers. 150 watts at $150.00 each. I play dinner gigs constantly with them, running the BIAB tracks, a sax player, guitar, and two vocals through them at the same time. No distortion and plenty of volume. Quite often we're asked to turn down. These things only weigh 7 lbs. Most of time, I leave the larger EV speakers and the Bose Model II at home. They're overkill and too heavy to tote for most of the gigs we play.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Thinking along the same line as Pat, does anyone here own or use a Roland BA-330 portable amp?

Yes, they are pricey, but the reviews look great, the size, portability, and most of all, the enormous flexibility looks terrific for all sorts of uses and combinations, which sounds like what the OP is after. Wouldn't need a mixer, FX or much of anything else... and of course, for that big bass sound, it can always go out to a bigger amp or PA. It would certainly meet all the needs, present and future, of the OP... take a look: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BA330/

Anyway, I am really asking for reviews for myself... Maybe I can be busking again on the Santa Monica Mall -- altho I may not be able to afford to pay off the cops.

Brad -- My FAWM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Mark, don't forget what I said about bass. I don't know how good you are as a keyboard player but I do a lot of piano and organ. Both of those can be bass heavy even if I'm not playing left hand bass. One night at the local jazz club I work at we were doing Revelation by the Yellowjackets. That has a strong rocking left hand gospel thing going on in the same octave as the bass. We had a decent crowd, maybe 40 or so and they were talking so we were not rock & roll loud but fairly strong and I blew out the woofer in one of my EV's. My 12" EV's are 225 watts each. That sounds like a lot but not when you're punching some left hand piano like I was. Organ is even worse. A big two handed organ smear will kill weak speakers. What I'm talking about here are called transients. Your average power output may be only 50-75 watts but a peak like that can jump to 300 or so in an instant and that's enough to blow stuff up. In amp speak that's called headroom so your rig has to have the headroom to handle a split second transient even if the overall volume is fairly low. If I'm playing left hand bass those EV's definitely won't cut it even at that fairly quiet jazz place. I have to bring in the 15" JBl's. And yes, a keyboard rig is the same as a PA, it has to be because a keyboard can put out a full freq range.

Biab created backing tracks are already compressed so those transients are smoothed out that's why John's small rig using Kustom 10's is ok because he's one guy using backing tracks but playing a keyboard live is a whole other thing. I would blow those 10's out in a heartbeat unless I'm just playing piano at an acoustic volume level. One strong hit on my keyboard and I'm in the stratosphere as far as power is concerned because it's not compressed processed sound, it's live. It's the same problem people have with recording live drums. Drums are usually compressed at the input because otherwise you have to turn the input gain way down to allow for the occasional super hot rim shot.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,448
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195