Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#164445 07/01/12 04:51 PM
Off-Topic
J
OP Offline
J
How do I get MIDI Out from my computer (band in a box ) to my Roland Sound Module? I have my Korg Keyboard MIDI out connected via a 15-pin MIDI Interface to a Soundblaster Live! soundcard and it plays in Band in a box perfectly. But there is no output from the computer to the module. The Out from the computer is connected to the inA of the module. In B is no better. Any thoughts?

John Miles #164446 07/01/12 05:05 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If your Roland Sound Module has a MIDI in, and your computer has a USB out you can get a USB-MIDI interface. It's a small piece of hardware, USB powered and it is relatively inexpensive.

If you don't need other bells and whistles, something like a M-Audio Uno, Roland UM-ONE, or Edirol UM-1EX should set you back less than $50.00

I have a couple of old Edirol UM-1 interfaces that have been working flawlessly for years.

Brand new 2012.5 updates from Norton Music:
  • 2 new style disks for Band-in-a-Box
  • 2 new free (with a purchase) fancy intro/ending disks for Real Band and other DAW's
  • The Ultimate Gospel Fake Disk
  • The Real Rock Fake Disk (plenty of classic rock in this one)
  • The Beatles Fake Disk
  • And an updated Christmas Fake Disk

Hundreds of Free .sgu and .mp3 demos for the above at: http://www.nortonmusic.com

Notes Norton #164447 07/01/12 05:13 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Notes is right on it. You are way "under-hardwared". Look at eBay and Craigslist for a USB MIDI interface. I highly recommend the M-Audio Fast Track Pro. They all do the same thing, that thing being sending a MIDI data stream back and forth. Where you get the differences is how seamlessly the interface integrates and interacts with your software. That M-Audio that I have went in like buddah! Load the driver, restart, plug in the interface, let it detect, make a chance in the hardware control panel to make it your default hardware, launch Real Band, make the innies and outies match up in Prefs, and boom. Make music.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Notes Norton #164448 07/01/12 05:20 PM
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi there,

If this is a physical connection problem, I would do as Notes has suggested and get the USB-MIDI cable. It's much easier.

If this is purely a lack of sound problem, maybe it's the receive channel on the Korg that needs to be set to match the MIDI output channel of the BIAB track.

All the best.

yjoh

[i]Music...a joy for life.
yjoh #164449 07/01/12 05:30 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
That connector on your sound card, that port that was originally for a joystick, is it not an in AND out cable? If so, you are wired wrong. If not, check with Soundblaster and see what they have for you. I seem to remember WAY back I was using that 15 pin port for MIDI but I had a Y cable that had in and out.

I still can't figure out what you are trying to accomplish. You want to play parts INTO your software or play existing part back on a different sound source (your synth)?

Best case hardware scenario is a USB MIDI interface and a MIDI thru box. Plug in one keyboard as the controller to the MIDI IN, and then plug the MIDI OUT to the input of the thru box. You can find a 1 in 8 out thru box almost anywhere. Like $10-20 bucks used.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
eddie1261 #164450 07/01/12 05:52 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi John,

From what I read of your description, I don't think you need to get a USB MIDI in/out device. I used to run MIDI in/out from a Soundblaster Live and it worked fine. It was quite a while ago though. I used the joystick socket and the plug I connected with had separate In and Out cables.

It sounds to me like you have the "Out" of your MIDI connection (on the computer) already connected to the external device but you are not hearing anything. Am I correct?

If that is the case, Try "Opt | Preferences | MIDI Driver" and set the "Output driver to 'something' I/O. (e.g. on my computer, I have a Creative Audigy 2 ZS and the "Audigy 2 ZS MIDI IO" seen in the image below is the driver that sends information to my external device.) You'll also need to deactivate the VST/DXi synth, though, as that is an internal one.

Lastly, you'll need to exit BIAB and restart it for these settings to take effect.

I'm not sure that this will solve your problem, but it's where I'd be looking if I was trying to solve it.

Hope this helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
eddie1261 #164451 07/01/12 06:06 PM
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Eddie, you're right we need to know what John is trying to do firstly. Would John need to have the thru box as well as the USB cable?

Couldn't you just have the USB-MIDI cable connected, then choose the Korg as either the input driver or the output driver in the MIDI/AUDIO drivers setup options in BIAB?

When I have my keyboard set up with the computer and just the cable, I can use it as a master controller and send or receive MIDI data.

In my old ATARI days with no MIDI interface, I bought a MOTU MIDI Express for a MIDI patch bay, used the D50 as the controller and sent data to the other synths via the midi express.
Worked well.

With the laptop and the soft synths now, I use my Roland keyboard to input MIDI and have the soft synths as the playback.

yjoh

yjoh #164452 07/01/12 06:10 PM
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Gee you guys are fast! I just finished typing and Noel has posted what I was getting at WITH screenshot!

Wow, good one Noel.

yjoh

Noel96 #164453 07/01/12 06:19 PM
Off-Topic
J
OP Offline
J
Hi Noel:
You understand my problem exactly. Your suggestions had already been checked, to no avail. I am beginning to believe the OUT part of the connector may be faulty. I have a second one i'll try. Thanks,everybody.

John Miles #164454 07/01/12 06:49 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
The MIDI Thru is just a connection point to make it easier to have multiple devices connected to one place without having to recable every time you change boards. As has been stated, I absolutely HATE to spend time fooling with cables. HATE IT! I actually have a "smart" MIDI switching system that accepts up to 50 configurations that route master/slave and sends patch change information. But again, that's just how I do it.

On topic, we really need to know what you are doing. If it's simply routing, then the screen shot you got showing how to set the interface ins and outs should do it. If you want to send MIDI clock to control a sequencer or drum machine there is more to do.

eddie1261 #164455 07/01/12 07:27 PM
Off-Topic
J
OP Offline
J
Hi Eddie:
I am fairly well-versed on things MIDI, although hardly expert. I am an old guy, self taught on most things musical. To answer your earlier question: I want to play, say, piano on the Korg thru its own speakers, , send MIDI data to computer to hear,say, organ, inside band in a box( and perhaps hear a bb demo here as well), then play ,say, trumpet in the module, all instantaneously. I can achieve all but the module part.
I have MIDI cable from Korg to computer and from computer to module.
Regarding the matching of channels between devices, I had encountered a problem awhile ago with a Native Instruments software program that took a while to find and fix. Re my present problem, is there a channel selector tab or the like to select an output channel in bb. I can select the input channel on the module ok.. Thanks

John Miles #164456 07/01/12 08:52 PM
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
BIAB has a MIDI channel for each of its tracks as listed below.You could set your module to receive, say channel 3 and the BIAB piano track would sound in the module.

Bass 2
Piano 3
Drums 10
Guitar 7
Strings 6
Melody 4
Soloist 8

The Thru channel is 5. The Harmony channels are 11,12,13,14

You can find the channels in the preferences menu under OPT. You can change the set channels here if necessary but it does say to leave them as is.

I would change the MIDI channel on the module to match the output channel of the BIAB tracks.

yjoh

yjoh #164457 07/02/12 12:19 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi John,
Quote:

Your suggestions had already been checked, to no avail. I am beginning to believe the OUT part of the connector may be faulty. I have a second one i'll try.

It might not simply be the cable, it could also be the external device. For example, it might be that your external synth is set to receive signals only on channel 1 (often a default - see PG Music note on image below) and BIAB is sending information on the channels yjoh has so clearly listed. Check your synth's documentation for setting it to receive on all channels and in poly-note mode. Also, make sure that volumes are around 90.

Here's something else to try. While the below screen-capture is from BIAB 2012, I imagine that there's something equivalent in other versions.

Go to "Opt | Preferences | Midi Driver" and run the "Output Driver Wizard". That has a "Piano Test" button on it which will send a signal on Channel #1.

Maybe someone with an external module will jump in and talk us through how they set it up. (Mac is amazing on this stuff. You could try emailing him and see what happens.)

I'm searching through the PG Music Support tutorials at the moment. If I find one that does the job, I'll post the link.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #164458 07/02/12 03:50 AM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Band in a Box can only address ONE MIDI synth selection at a time...

So, without resorting to external softwares such as MIDIYOKE, etc. it is an either/or situation.

--Mac

Noel96 #164459 07/02/12 08:12 PM
Off-Topic
J
OP Offline
J
To Quote a great old song: I'm beginning to see the light.
First,I wasted time changing the cable. It made no difference.
Second, I now know that what I was trying to do won't work. Why not? Because the MIDI Output Driver Wizard allows sound from either the soundcard or from the module but not both. Thanks, Mac.
I don't thoroughly understand, but my testing proves something. When I select the soundcard, my keyboard plays the BIAB sounds; when I choose the module in the Wizard I control the module's patches. Mac hit the nail on the head and Noel' guidance led the way.
Something I have to get my brain around, though: Why is it that I can set up a daisy chain of keyboards and hear the selected sounds of each, but can't with software like BIAB?
Ok, Onward to sequencing study with Power Tracks.
Thanks to all out there for your helpful contributions.

Mac #164460 07/02/12 08:18 PM
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
I've been thinking there has to be a way this will work, so some thoughts on this possible solution. I've set it out in steps but no particular order.

If there is a standard MIDI THRU port on the back of the Korg, the module could be hooked up to it and set to receive on a channel from BIAB (or more than one channel if it's multitimbral).

The Korg is hooked up to the computer via the USB-MIDI cable and is set to internal with local on so that it can be played along with BIAB with it's own speakers. It'a basically independent of the BIAB output.

The screen Noel put up with the option to use the external device would need to be checked. This way the one port issue that Mac brought up would be ok as all the MIDI channel/s from BIAB would be going back to the Korg and on thru to the module.

BIAB could be generating the real tracks which is Audio and doesn't have MIDI channels, while the MIDI track/s would be going out the one port to the module.

If there is a basic flaw in my theory just put in down to old grey matter and a studio with hardware synths gathering dust!

I've got to logout now but will check later tonight to see what you all think. Will it work!

yjoh

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,484
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195