You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#166646 - 07/22/12 08:43 PM [User Showcase] New Song - Long Ago
Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Hi everyone! I have been out for a couple of months, due to a job change - working about 60 hours a week. Getting too old for that!

I finally got some time to do a new song. I hope you enjoy it! All the basic instruments are RealTracks and Realdrums. I played the orchestration with Garriton Personal Orchestra, and all the vocals are me.

Long Ago

Here are the lyrics...

Long Ago
Music & Lyrics, copyright Stephen W. Young

There once was a young man
He looked a lot like me
He lived life with a plan
When he was twenty three
But time can take a turn
And life can bring the rain
Some say we never learn
Some say we never change

He thought he knew all the answers
But that was long ago
Now he longs for the memories
Of things he's never known

There once was a young man
He looked a lot like me
He heard about a plan
That changed his destiny

He thought he knew all the answers
But that was long ago
Now he lives with the memories
Of things he's come to know

I thought I knew all the answers
But that was long ago
You have given me memories
Of things I need to know

--

Here are the RT's/RD's used...

RealTracks in song: 1253:Bass, Electric, PopShiningHeld Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1542:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopBelieve Ev16 065
RealTracks in song: 1595:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Pop8thsSteady Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 1601:Mandolin, Rhythm Pop16Melodic Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 1539:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopBelieveHeldDry Ev16 065
RealTracks in song: 377:Guitar, Resonator, Background Trav Ev 088
RealDrums: RealDrums in Song: NashvilleEven8^4-a,b:Sidestick, HiHat

Have a great day!

Steve

#166647 - 07/22/12 09:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Long Ago [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Hey Steve,

Nice to see you back here... This one was certainly worth the wait. Love the sentiment and lyrics. The arrangement, mix and vocal are stellar. Great, great job.

Bob

#166648 - 07/22/12 09:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Long Ago [Re: Steve Young]
Tommyc Offline
Veteran

Wow I couldn't tell this was Biab at all! Very professional mixing Steve,the Lyrics and the Sangin are wonderful! Was the string pad part done with a Biab generated MIDI track, sounded Great! You are way too talented to be sellin cars! Wish I could sing! Thanks Cuz for sharing, really enjoyed it!

#166649 - 07/22/12 10:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Long Ago [Re: Tommyc]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Steve,

very tastefully done as usual! Two enthusiastic thumbs up!

Tommy commented that it doesn't sound like BIAB at all... but BIAB is like a computer... it does what you tell it to do! The way you arrange the flow of your songs is what makes them so unique sounding... like the string section and tympani rolls near the end. Just about anything that's musically possible can be done with BIAB, but not everyone eplores the possibilities beyond what's built into the styles. You do, and it really shows in your finished products.

Thanks for posting.

#166650 - 07/22/12 11:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Long Ago [Re: Pat Marr]
Loc: Nashville, TN
Mandolin Mike Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nashville, TN
Wow...what a great work of art. This is skill and talent on another level. I hope you are able to find a good balance between work and music that will allow us to enjoy more of your wonderful music.

Thanks very much for sharing...

#166651 - 07/23/12 12:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Long Ago [Re: Mandolin Mike]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Excellent arrangement! All around, well done.

I like your choice of instruments. I was betting on an electric guitar solo, so the slide guitar came as a pleasant surprise. The "false ending" before the final verse was effective, and got me wondering if it even needed a final time through - until you brought in the harmony and lovely tag at the end. I'm a sucker for timpani.

My only musical nit is that the flute on the intro seems a touch too soft against the guitar, but I'm listening on headphones, so take that with a grain of salt.

In the second verse, you set up the lyric as if you're still talking about the same person in the first verse, only in the last phrase to make it clear you were talking about someone else. On a conceptual level, I like that the song did something different. But on a personal level, I'm a lazy listener, and don't really like it when a song misleads me and makes me have to mentally backtrack like that.

Then again, I like vanilla ice cream, too.

I don't know how you find time to do this... But I'm glad you do!

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#166652 - 07/23/12 01:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Long Ago [Re: dcuny]
Loc: 80 Mi North of Sacramento CA
seeker Offline
Veteran

Loc: 80 Mi North of Sacramento CA
Steve,

I'd bet you worked on those lyrics in your mind since
the bump in the road a few months ago.

Great lyrics telling a nice story. Guessing its autobiographical.

Really liked the steel at the ending.

Your vocal style delivered to match the storyline.

Thanks for your hard work on this song.

May your 60 hour weeks lighten up in the near future.

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum

#166653 - 07/23/12 02:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Long Ago [Re: seeker]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Hey Steve,

Beautiful all around. Dobro and mandolin with an orchestra - love all the finesse in the arrangement - those little touches that add interest at just the right moments really make it sparkle.

I also like the song and the bittersweet feeling you've captured with both the lyrics and music.

#166654 - 07/23/12 05:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Long Ago [Re: Sundance]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
A craftsman at work.
Good one Steve.
Always love your contributions.

#166655 - 07/24/12 09:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Long Ago [Re: rsdean]
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Bob,

Thanks so much! It's nice to be back. I'm still putting in a lot of hours, but my body is starting to adjust to the grind!

Steve

#166656 - 07/24/12 09:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Long Ago [Re: Tommyc]
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Tommy,

Thanks a bunch, cuz! Actually, though Band In The Box is absolutely my favorite music creation software, the orchestration was not generated by Band In A Box. I played all the parts on my midi keyboard, using VSTi's from Garritan Personal Orchestra. The tympani is a VSTi from Logic Pro. The extra piano track is also a VSTi from Logic Pro. All the other instrumentation is Band In A Box.

Thanks again for your very kind words!

Steve

#166657 - 07/24/12 09:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Long Ago [Re: Pat Marr]
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Pat,

Thanks so much for taking the time to listen and comment! I appreciate your very kind words. Always so good to hear from you!

Steve

#166658 - 07/24/12 09:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Long Ago [Re: Steve Young]
Steve Young Offline
Expert

David,

So nice to hear from you! I always appreciate your thoughtful comments. And thanks for the generous words.

How do I find the time? I sleep real fast!

Steve

#166659 - 07/24/12 10:00 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Long Ago [Re: Steve Young]
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Frank,

Thanks so much! I do tend to write most of my songs in my head. By the time I sit down at the computer, I usually hear it all in my head, and try to reproduce it in Band In A Box. (I mean that I hear music, not voices! )

Thanks again!

Steve

#166660 - 07/24/12 10:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Long Ago [Re: Sundance]
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Josie,

Always so good to hear from you. Thanks so much for your input. I'm glad the instrumentation worked on this one.

Steve

#166661 - 07/24/12 10:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Long Ago [Re: Rob4580]
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Robert,

Thanks so much for taking time to listen and comment! (Does the song play backwards, when you are listening in Australia? )

Glad you enjoyed it!

Steve

#166662 - 07/25/12 05:10 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Long Ago [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Beautifully composed, sung and crafted, Steve.

Nitpick alert: when the drums came in at 1:51 and 3:28 I was expecting them to be more powerful and be a more prominent component of the mix each time, adding to the overall drama and emphasising the emotional changes in the song whenever they enter and exit.

But a lovely piece with the usual professional craftmanship nevertheless!

John
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4

#166663 - 07/25/12 06:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Long Ago [Re: Skyline]
Loc: Sydney, Australia
pinglis Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Very well done Steve. A particularly creative arrangement combined with an excellent vocal. In fact, so well done that I wouldn't have picked the basic tracks as being Realtracks - admittedly the writing and singing are so good that I was just drawn right into the song.

Oh, and I might add, the song doesn't play backwards in Australia - but we do have to listen with the speakers turned upside down!

Edited by pinglis (07/25/12 06:54 AM)

#166664 - 07/25/12 03:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Long Ago [Re: pinglis]
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Tano Music Offline
Expert

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Excellent work! I really appreciate the idea of only using that which is needed--and here every element plays a role. I really liked the reflective nature of the lyrics.
Thanks for sharing.

#166665 - 07/25/12 10:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Long Ago [Re: Mandolin Mike]
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Mandolin Mike,

I don't know how I missed your post! Thanks so much for your very kind comments, and welcome to the forum!

Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® for Mac Patch Updates Ready! (2019 & 2020)

We've JUST released FREE Updates for existing Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2019 and 2020 program users!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Update - Build 407
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Update - Build 323

What do these include?

Summary of changes for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Update - Build 407: (get it here)
Fixed: RealDrums Quick List was empty if launched from main toolbar.
Improved: Bootup time is faster.
Fixed: It is not possible to type ^ (caret symbol for pushes) in chordsheet if using an Italian keyboard layout.
Fixed: Opening songs from older versions might misinterpret song title as ?.
Fixed: Buttons in Custom toolbar are not draggable.
Fixed: The time signature button on the main toolbar did not do anything.
Fixed: A maximum of 1990 MIDI events are loaded from a song file into the Melody or Soloist track.
Fixed: RealDrums Quick List menu item did not do anything.
Fixed: Find a Sub for RealDrums menu item did not do anything.
Fixed: Various problems with localized versions.
Fixed: Some style demos for the newest RealTracks would not play.
Fixed: Song title will be changed to ? when re-saving if it previously contained international characters like é or ©.

DAW Plugin 2.5.18
Fixed: "Open Recent" opened file chooser dialog
Fixed: Unfold feature not working with some songs
Fixed: Choruses not resetting when playback is stopped in DAW
Fixed: Chord superscripts
Fixed: Clicking zoom many times will crash standalone plugin
Fixed: Undo removes all chords after opening a song
Fixed: Buzzing sound in Studio One
Fixed: Plugin determining chord accidentals now matches main program
Fixed: Removed alert menu when sync playing tracks that are not up-to-date (generated).
Fixed: Cancelling generate made song lose "dirty" state
Fixed: All selected tracks should drag from the plugin
Fixed: Shortcut file feature not working always working. Support was also added for pgshortc.txt files
Fixed: Double clicking grey area in chord sheet started playback
Fixed: Bar highlighting skipped last chorus when the start bar is greater than 1
Fixed: Right-click on bar should first launch popup menu
Fixed: Double clicking anywhere on a track should open its picker
Added: About to File Menu
Added: "year" to plugin name
Fixed: remove sync tempo button if already synced
Fixed: improve 2 finger scroll (too fast)

Summary of changes for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Update - Build 323: (get it here)
Fixed: Bootup time is faster.
Fixed: It is not possible to type ^ (caret symbol for pushes) in chordsheet if using an Italian keyboard layout.
Fixed: Opening songs from older versions might misinterpret song title as ?.
Fixed: The time signature button on the main toolbar did not do anything.
Fixed: A maximum of 1990 MIDI events are loaded from a song file into the Melody or Soloist track.
Fixed: Various problems with localized versions.

#TBT Band-in-a-Box® 2017

Three years ago we were just rounding up our BETA testers to help finish up the testing of our Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac!

With that version, we redesigned the main screen GUI, added support for popular .SFZ sound format as well as PG Music’s Hi-Q sounds (sforzando SFZ Synth.), added Natural Arrangements options and Hi-Q Guitar RealCharts, applied many, many, many enhancements to the existing powerful program features, and more! Read all about Band-in-a-Box® 2017 here.

Now, three years later, we're thrilled to say that we're already done BETA testing, and weeks into the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac release! Of course, that means we're having a SALE on Upgrade packages, but only until April 30th!

Band-in-a-Box® - Trombone RealTracks!

Happy National Trombone Players Day!

To all the trombone players out there - this is a day to celebrate you (no joke...)! Not a trombone player? Good news - if you have the Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK, UltraPAK+ or Audiophile Edition, you have a two AMAZING trombone players in your band already!

Dennis Esson:
RealTracks Set 144: Dixieland – Fast Soloists
RealTracks Set 178: Dixieland - Medium Soloists

Ian McDougall:
RealTracks Set 13: Older Jazz Swing Soloists
RealTracks Set 15: Mainstream Swing
RealTracks Set 17: Bossa
RealTracks Set 19: Jazz Ballad

Welcome to the Team David!

We are thrilled to say that we've added David to our Customer Service Team here at PG Music!

You may have already noticed him - he's already made his appearance here on the Forums, chiming in with assistance and User Showcase Song Feedback.

Welcome to the team David!

Updated Song Titles Browser in Band-in-a-Box® 2020!

If you're looking for a Band-in-a-Box® Style in the feel of a familiar/popular song title, then the Song Titles Browser option in the Band-in-a-Box® StylePicker is the perfect feature for you!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2020, we’ve added 3,400 more song titles including requests from users, so there are now 14,000 titles to search from!

Just type in a familiar song title or artist name - once you have found the song, press the [OK - Find Matching Styles] button. This will take you to the StylePicker window with styles that best match the tempo, feel, and genre of the selected song title.

Didn't find the song you were searching for? Post your title request to our Wishlist forum: Songs to add to Band-in-a-Box Titles database - we think that the 3,400 new titles added with Version 2020 is proof that we're paying attention!

Learn more about the different features of the Band-in-a-Box® StylePicker here.

SongPicker Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac!

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker has been enhanced with our newest 2020 version!

The SongPicker now builds faster for large song lists (>30K and up to 60,000 songs). The [Song] button (or the [Open] button) now has 3 additional menu items to launch the SongPicker.

- Open SongPicker in Current Folder: This opens the SongPicker in the current folder of the last loaded song.
- Open SongPicker in Home Folder: This opens the SongPicker in the home folder, which is Applications/Band-in-a-Box/MySongs or as set in the SongPicker.
- Open SongPicker in Favorite Folder: This launches the Favorite Folder dialog which allows you to choose any previously used folder where a song was loaded from, and then open the SongPicker in that folder.

In the SongPicker, there is a new “Open in Home” option. If this is enabled, the SongPicker will always open in the home folder instead of the current folder when you press the default [Song] button to open the SongPicker.

Searching for songs matching a chord progression or melody has been enhanced. There are three new checkboxes: "Key must match exactly," "Chord Extension must match exactly", and "Time Signature must match."

Click here to jump to the SongPicker subject in our New Features video to learn more. (32:11)

(read more about this feature in our Band-in-a-Box 2020 for Mac Online Upgrade Manual.)

We Have a $0 Down Easy Payment Plan!

Did you know... you don't have to pay for your Band-in-a-Box® (or other PG Music Inc. products) purchase right away? We offer an Easy Payment Plan! With our $0 down payment option, purchase today and don't pay for 30 days! The total of your invoice will be split equally, and charged every 30 days for 4 months after the initial purchase date. You can enjoy your software, with four convenient monthly payments for Visa, MasterCard, and American Express, with no added interest charges or service fees!

To choose this option, add your purchase to the Shopping Cart, and begin the checkout process. Step 3 of this process allows you to choose between:
[]Pay full amount now.
[]Easy Payment Plan. Pay $0 now, and four monthly payments, starting one month from now.

If you choose the Easy Payment Plan, simply agree to the RECURRING BILLING / EASY PAYMENT PLAN TERMS AND CONDITIONS and your order will be processed right away! That's right - choosing this payment option won't delay you receiving your order - even if you choose to have your order shipped, you'll still have the download links available to you - there's no need to wait!

Forum Stats
31592 Members
65 Forums
63358 Topics
536334 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
b3halt, azroin, EJ Topping, bmr_bd, jbrassssss

31591 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 196
Icelander 193