Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#166646 07/22/12 05:43 PM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi everyone! I have been out for a couple of months, due to a job change - working about 60 hours a week. Getting too old for that!

I finally got some time to do a new song. I hope you enjoy it! All the basic instruments are RealTracks and Realdrums. I played the orchestration with Garriton Personal Orchestra, and all the vocals are me.

Long Ago

Here are the lyrics...

Long Ago
Music & Lyrics, copyright Stephen W. Young

There once was a young man
He looked a lot like me
He lived life with a plan
When he was twenty three
But time can take a turn
And life can bring the rain
Some say we never learn
Some say we never change

He thought he knew all the answers
But that was long ago
Now he longs for the memories
Of things he's never known

There once was a young man
He looked a lot like me
He heard about a plan
That changed his destiny

He thought he knew all the answers
But that was long ago
Now he lives with the memories
Of things he's come to know

I thought I knew all the answers
But that was long ago
You have given me memories
Of things I need to know

--

Here are the RT's/RD's used...

RealTracks in song: 1253:Bass, Electric, PopShiningHeld Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1542:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopBelieve Ev16 065
RealTracks in song: 1595:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Pop8thsSteady Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 1601:Mandolin, Rhythm Pop16Melodic Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 1539:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopBelieveHeldDry Ev16 065
RealTracks in song: 377:Guitar, Resonator, Background Trav Ev 088
RealDrums: RealDrums in Song: NashvilleEven8^4-a,b:Sidestick, HiHat

Have a great day!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Steve,

Nice to see you back here... This one was certainly worth the wait. Love the sentiment and lyrics. The arrangement, mix and vocal are stellar. Great, great job.

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow I couldn't tell this was Biab at all! Very professional mixing Steve,the Lyrics and the Sangin are wonderful! Was the string pad part done with a Biab generated MIDI track, sounded Great! You are way too talented to be sellin cars! Wish I could sing! Thanks Cuz for sharing, really enjoyed it!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Steve,

very tastefully done as usual! Two enthusiastic thumbs up!

Tommy commented that it doesn't sound like BIAB at all... but BIAB is like a computer... it does what you tell it to do! The way you arrange the flow of your songs is what makes them so unique sounding... like the string section and tympani rolls near the end. Just about anything that's musically possible can be done with BIAB, but not everyone eplores the possibilities beyond what's built into the styles. You do, and it really shows in your finished products.

Thanks for posting.

User Showcase
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Wow...what a great work of art. This is skill and talent on another level. I hope you are able to find a good balance between work and music that will allow us to enjoy more of your wonderful music.

Thanks very much for sharing...

Living in The Music City
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent arrangement! All around, well done.

I like your choice of instruments. I was betting on an electric guitar solo, so the slide guitar came as a pleasant surprise. The "false ending" before the final verse was effective, and got me wondering if it even needed a final time through - until you brought in the harmony and lovely tag at the end. I'm a sucker for timpani.

My only musical nit is that the flute on the intro seems a touch too soft against the guitar, but I'm listening on headphones, so take that with a grain of salt.

In the second verse, you set up the lyric as if you're still talking about the same person in the first verse, only in the last phrase to make it clear you were talking about someone else. On a conceptual level, I like that the song did something different. But on a personal level, I'm a lazy listener, and don't really like it when a song misleads me and makes me have to mentally backtrack like that.

Then again, I like vanilla ice cream, too.

I don't know how you find time to do this... But I'm glad you do!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Steve,

I'd bet you worked on those lyrics in your mind since
the bump in the road a few months ago.

Great lyrics telling a nice story. Guessing its autobiographical.

Really liked the steel at the ending.

Your vocal style delivered to match the storyline.

Thanks for your hard work on this song.

May your 60 hour weeks lighten up in the near future.

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Steve,

Beautiful all around. Dobro and mandolin with an orchestra - love all the finesse in the arrangement - those little touches that add interest at just the right moments really make it sparkle.

I also like the song and the bittersweet feeling you've captured with both the lyrics and music.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A craftsman at work.
Good one Steve.
Always love your contributions.

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Bob,

Thanks so much! It's nice to be back. I'm still putting in a lot of hours, but my body is starting to adjust to the grind!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Tommy,

Thanks a bunch, cuz! Actually, though Band In The Box is absolutely my favorite music creation software, the orchestration was not generated by Band In A Box. I played all the parts on my midi keyboard, using VSTi's from Garritan Personal Orchestra. The tympani is a VSTi from Logic Pro. The extra piano track is also a VSTi from Logic Pro. All the other instrumentation is Band In A Box.

Thanks again for your very kind words!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Pat,

Thanks so much for taking the time to listen and comment! I appreciate your very kind words. Always so good to hear from you!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
David,

So nice to hear from you! I always appreciate your thoughtful comments. And thanks for the generous words.

How do I find the time? I sleep real fast!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Frank,

Thanks so much! I do tend to write most of my songs in my head. By the time I sit down at the computer, I usually hear it all in my head, and try to reproduce it in Band In A Box. (I mean that I hear music, not voices! )

Thanks again!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Josie,

Always so good to hear from you. Thanks so much for your input. I'm glad the instrumentation worked on this one.

Steve

Steve Young
Music
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Robert,

Thanks so much for taking time to listen and comment! (Does the song play backwards, when you are listening in Australia? )

Glad you enjoyed it!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Beautifully composed, sung and crafted, Steve.

Nitpick alert: when the drums came in at 1:51 and 3:28 I was expecting them to be more powerful and be a more prominent component of the mix each time, adding to the overall drama and emphasising the emotional changes in the song whenever they enter and exit.

But a lovely piece with the usual professional craftmanship nevertheless!

John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
User Showcase
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Very well done Steve. A particularly creative arrangement combined with an excellent vocal. In fact, so well done that I wouldn't have picked the basic tracks as being Realtracks - admittedly the writing and singing are so good that I was just drawn right into the song.

Oh, and I might add, the song doesn't play backwards in Australia - but we do have to listen with the speakers turned upside down!

Last edited by pinglis; 07/25/12 03:54 AM.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Excellent work! I really appreciate the idea of only using that which is needed--and here every element plays a role. I really liked the reflective nature of the lyrics.
Thanks for sharing.

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Mandolin Mike,

I don't know how I missed your post! Thanks so much for your very kind comments, and welcome to the forum!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,455
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195