Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#167028 - 08/02/12 08:04 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there such a thing as an inexpensive active subwoofer? [Re: Mac]
Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
jazzmammal Online   content
Veteran

I threw that reply out just as I had to take a conference call with the IRS and a client. That only took about an hour. Then I came to the same conclusion you guys did. In addition most car audio subs need a sub out feed from the main amp don't they? The pro audio subs have a stereo in and stereo outs. I can't feed a sub with the line outs from my EV monitors, that defeats the purpose. The signal path has to go the other way, sub first, then to the EV's. And yes, I need a powered sub not passive.

Scott, the DIY plate amp includes the stereo ins/outs so it accepts the signal first then feeds it back to the monitors. That's not a bad deal, I found a dual 10" enclosure for $39. Just cut out a hole for the plate amp, install two decent drivers and I'm good to go. That may be the best thing.

It would still be cool to have both you and Mac on my speed dial.

Bob

#167029 - 08/02/12 09:05 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there such a thing as an inexpensive active subwoofer? [Re: jazzmammal]
Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
John Conley Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
Ha, Yanks argue about bazookas. Wow. Rocket launchers are next!!!

Every 'clubhouse' in Canada wants 2. Of each. The ones with the concrete walls and security cams.

#167030 - 08/03/12 07:35 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there such a thing as an inexpensive active subwoofer? [Re: John Conley]
Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Bazooka is so '40s.

LAWS Rocket is so '80s...

Smart Bullet.

Yeah.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#167031 - 08/03/12 09:26 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there such a thing as an inexpensive active subwoofer? [Re: Mac]
Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Rail gun, baby! Twenty-two bazillion rounds per minute! Only prob is keeping it loaded.

BTW, I have contacted a guy about his craigslist ad for a Behringer B2092A Truth powered sub. It's more than I want to pay and I have no idea where I'll put it, but it was made specifically for my mains. If I don't get that I'll go the crossover and amp route.

#167032 - 08/03/12 06:43 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there such a thing as an inexpensive active subwoofer? [Re: jazzmammal]
Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
Quote:

It would still be cool to have both you and Mac on my speed dial.

Bob

It's not as fun as you think, 'cause then they have you on speed dial too...

#167033 - 08/04/12 03:40 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there such a thing as an inexpensive active subwoofer? [Re: rharv]
jazzmammal Online   content
Veteran

Crap, there's always a catch...

Bob

#167034 - 08/08/12 12:22 PM [Off-Topic] I'm teachable, just slow [Re: jazzmammal]
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

I've thought about everything everyone has said here. I currently have messages out to two individuals on craigslist, one with the Polk PSW10, the other with the notionally equivalent JBL PSW-110D. The JBL is halfway across the state but Ai Wants Itt. 150W RMS, good to 30 Hz, etc. I'm just not crazy about having to build or modify cables to use it, but hey. I passed on a Behringer B2092A which is purpose-made for the speakers I have. It was just too big and heavy (75 lbs.).

#167035 - 08/08/12 02:03 PM [Off-Topic] Re: I'm teachable, just slow [Re: Ryszard]
Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Ryszard - I checked and the Polk speaker outlets are pass-through, not cross-ed over, so it may not be the ideal solution.

#167036 - 08/09/12 03:55 AM [Off-Topic] Re: I'm teachable, just slow [Re: rockstar_not]
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Interesting. Thank you.

#286560 - 03/04/15 10:32 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Can I use my bass amp with a crossover as a subwoofer in my studio monitor system? [Re: Ryszard]
Roger Mattingly Offline

I can't find the exact topic, but on the subject of subwoofers, I use a system that has what I call just a woofer, with sattelites. The woofer is 10" with a crossover built in, the sattelites only 5" mid-high range. I have 2 sets, one in my bedroom studio, and another for live performance. I play mostly to audiences of 30 or less, but have used this system for over 200 in a gymnasium with no complaints of too loud or I can't hear you. The system is the very old Dawn speaker system using a 8 channel Carvin amp. The satelites have dispersers which send the sound out in a pattern like the Bose, and others, eliminating the need of monitors. The whole system weighs less than 50 lbs. I had to replace all the speakers due to age. Both system I found on EBay for less than $200 and the new speakers ran me about $100 for each system. For what I do, it works perfect for what I do. I also have a larger set using 12" sub with 8" satelites that I rarely use. Dawn is now building a new system using the same technology as the Bose, but are about the same price. The original Dawn's were way ahead of their time, and being built and sold in Kansas, they never caught on much. But they sure work nice.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

PG Music News
With Band-in-a-Box®, Making Music Has Never Been Easier!

We came across this recent post, Music Making Software: Record, Edit, Create and Share Your Own Songs, which includes Band-in-a-Box® in their list of software you'll need to record and edit your own songs!

One of our favourite products, and one that doesn’t seem to come up much in discussions about music making software, is Band-In-A-Box from PG Music. This is probably the longest established and certainly one of the most popular music making software packages of all time. Already packed with features, the latest version has added functions that in our opinion make this an essential buy for musicians in any genre, for keyboard players, guitarists, singers, in fact any musician looking for an outstanding tool to make the most of their creative ideas.
-www.musicrepo.com

The Download Manager - Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

The "Download Manager" within Band-in-a-Box® for Windows is a great tool to confirm or help with the installation of your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows program!

What does the Download Manager do?
Automatically installs Band-in-a-Box® content (RealTracks, RealDrums, etc.) in the background, so you don't have to sit there the whole time! It can also confirm that you've completely installed your purchase.

How do you use it?
Within the program, go to Help | Utilities | Run Download/Install Manager now. Using your activation code, the program will analyze the installation folders, and list anything that still needs to be downloaded and installed.

Learn more about the Download Manager with this tutorial, or check out the topic within the Online Manual.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows Online Manual - Chord List & Shortcuts

Visit the Chord List of our Online Manual, and you'll see all the chords that can be used within the program! The list includes a few Tricky Chords and Shortcut Chords that you may find useful too!

Tricky Chords:
C5b This is "C flat 5." It is spelled this way to avoid confusion.
C2, C5, C4, C69, C7alt, Cm7#5
You can type C-7 for Cm7 (i.e. use the minus sign) or C7-9 for C7b9.

Shortcut Chords
If you enter a lot of songs, you will appreciate these shortcut keys.
J = Maj7
H = m7b5 (H stands for Half diminished)
D = dim
S = 7sus

There's even information on how to add your own chord shortcuts - check it out!

Video Request Answered - Creating Intros, Bridges, and Endings in Band-in-a-Box®

Check out the newest support video created by Kent that explains how to create intros, bridges, and endings in Band-in-a-Box®! Click here to view...

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker Feature

If you have a folder of songs that you'd always like easy access to within Band-in-a-Box, make sure you familiarize yourself with The SongPicker feature, which access the folder that you choose and lock it to!

Access the SongPicker by clicking on the [Song] button next to the title of the song within the main screen of Band-in-a-Box. The first time the SongPicker is opened, you can choose the folder to use to create the list by selecting [Change] and navigating to your preferred directory. Once chosen, select [OK - Make Song List], and Band-in-a-Box does the rest... the next time you click on [Song], you'll be taken directly to your preferred folder!

Learn even more about this feature within Chapter 5 of our Online Manual, here.

Just Launched - The FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum!

If you have a question (or questions!) about Band-in-a-Box®, PowerTracks, RealBand®, or any other PG Music Inc. product - whether it be technical support or pre-sales, there's now an easy one-stop spot to find the answer - our FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum!

Don't want to read through the 600+ posts? Use the Search FAQ option, and you can choose your key search terms to locate the topic and answer you're looking for!

Common pre-sales questions about our products, ordering, and delivery:
Pre-Sales

Technical support & troubleshooting by product:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Band-in-a-Box® for Mac
RealBand® for Windows
PowerTracks Pro® Audio for Windows
Other Products

There's even a Request New FAQs forum, if you didn't see your question answered anywhere!

Over 190 Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Today's the day we say "Happy Birthday" to Adolphe Sax, the creator of the Saxophone!
(Adolphe was born November 6, 1814 - 32 years later he patended his saxophone creation!)

We have more than 190 Saxophone RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box with the following RealTracks Sets - review the complete list here.

Check our our Saxophonist programs for Windows:
The Jazz Saxophonist
The Rock Saxophonist

Forum Stats
28203 Members
59 Forums
54884 Topics
455028 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
JEisen, Kriskov123, Glenno, Shiverware, ssymd

28203 Registered Users