Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'd like to add some bottom to my monitor setup. My Behringer B2031A's are great down to their 50-Hz cutoff and do fine with most material played at a low level. But at higher levels there's no true bottom.

A cursory search showed that entry level for powered subs is around $400. I'd like to pay less than half that. Polk has one that lists for $149. It pushes 50 watts but only goes down to 35 Hz. That's enough power, but it provides less than an additional octave below the Behrys' cutoff. Hardly seems worthwhile, but maybe I'm wrong.

A look on craigslist is even worse. People are mainly unloading pro gear with 15 and 18-inch drivers and asking beaucoodles for them. Assuming I could afford them they wouldn't even fit in my space.

Maybe someone here knows something I don't about what's out there. If not, I do have a Behringer BXL-1800 bass amp with a subharmonic processor. Is there some trick I could do with a crossover to use the amp?

Signed,

Cheap GAS

ETA: The Behringer FBQ6200 looks promising. It's a dual 31-band graphic EQ with a sub out. Hmmm . . .

Last edited by Ryszard; 07/25/12 09:26 AM.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm using a KRK Roket, 10" and although that is above your budget, it's one of the lower priced ones. Note that you will have to re-learn how to mix once you get one.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
The best thing on the FBQ6200 it's hardwire bypass function. When I tried the eq in my live rig for the first time I had all the faders set to neutral. The sound was much brighter, deeper and richer when the FBQ6200 was bypassed than when it was actually in the signal chain. So in the studio I would absoluteIy not reccomend the thing! I decided to use the FBQ6200 in the monitor amprack. There it looks very cool with the flashing LEDs and all and it can't do to much harm.

On the matter of the sub for your studio setup I cannot help you. I don't use a seperate sub in my studio.

Just wanted to warn you about buying the EQ for this purpose.

Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Matt,

Re: Learning to mix again: That would be A Good Thing. I neglected to mention that I create this electro music, too.

Mike,

I don't really need the EQ. I'm just looking for an inexpensive way to get some more bass into my studio. The Behringer FBQ1502 (dual 15-band) also has the sub out for half the price of the 6200. Behringer is just the first place I looked.

I'm hoping someone can speak definitively to the concept of using the bass amp as a sub. It's probably not flat, yada yada, but hey. Better than trying to mix something I can't hear at all.

ETA: Looked again. Behry makes xovers with sub outs. Cheaper. Like. But will this work?

Last edited by Ryszard; 07/25/12 09:09 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
On the simplest lever, when you first mix with a sub, you think you hear enough bass, but your mixes will then have too little to work in most other places.

I mix in a bedroom-sized room and adjust the sub to give very little output. It's there, but barely.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
My living situation is such that I couldn't turn the thing up if I wanted to. I'm looking for an inexpensive yet effective way to hear lower-frequency program material than I can presently. It doesn't have to be loud, but the deeper the better.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Do you have a local Goodwill store? If so, get an entire home theatre speaker system and an amp to go with it for less than 100$ usually.

If you don't want to use the non-sub speakers, just measure their resistance and swap in some load resistors in place of them.

If it were me, I wouldn't be trying to repurpose the bass amp for that. Just sayin...

-Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Your neck of the woods.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/search/?ar...&catAbb=sss

That's fairly amazing. I did that search (or thought I did) and only turned up a handful of stuff. The Polk PSW505 looks like just the ticket--and I'll be down that way tomorrow. Thank you.

I'd still like a response on the bass amp question. Mac?

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Sorry we didn't specifically talk about your bass amp. Don't use the Bass amp, and in particular don't use the subharmonic processor. The Bass amp is actually a full range amplifier in most cases-not sure about yours. You will spend more making a usable crossover for it, where it's not really intended to be used as such, than picking up one of the 10 or so powered subwoofers (more compact and easier to corner load) on Craigslist.

Speaker size is not everything when it comes to subwoofers. Because of their special purpose for low frequency generation, you can use smaller drivers in a number of different configurations to generate the low frequency grunt.

You would have to cross-over the thing in between the pre-amp section and the amp section, or wire in a cross-over on the main amp output, putting load resistors on the 'throwaway' frequency region. The amp will be working to supply the load resistors unnecessarily. Not only that, you'll have to wire up your signal to supply both your monitors as well as the sub channel - not sure if you have that capability or not.

Just go with a powered sub that has the crossover in it already, connect the monitors to the crossover output as intended, load the little thing in the corner and be done with it. I would try to find one where you can adjust the crossover frequency, so that you can take advantage of the output of the monitors' low end. If I read right, your monitors have 8.75" drivers and are capable of plenty of low end grunt, cross over too low and you'll lose overall punch in the system.

-Scott

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

A recipe for mix confusion, sir.

There is more to a subwoofer used for fullrange audio than just being *able* to reproduce lower frequencies with gusto.

The Bass Instrument amp also has its own Instrument Preamp and EQ section built in. Differences in adjustment there would color your mix -- and you would have no way of knowing if your recordings are going to "translate" (the ability to play back on other systems and sound the same).

In other words, mixes that you make may sound full and nice to you on a system where you are using a bass instrument amp as a subwoofer, but you would have no idea where your mix stands in relation to "proper" stereo playback.

However, there is a 100 dollar answer to your problem.

Don't sell it short, it works very well.

That is the "Bazooka" subwoofer(s) that are readily available.

For example, you can purchase the Bazooka BT8014, which has built in crossover AND 150W amplification, for $99 at Walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bazooka-BT8014...434&veh=aff

I have personally used Bazookas for subwoofers in the home studio situation, have specified them when doing installations, they tend to work very well when paired with the ubiquitous nearfield monitors necessary for doing this kind of work, don't let the funny shape fool you, they flat work.

After obtaining a good quality subwoofer of this sort, don't be surprised to find that your listening environment has problems. The next purchase worth thinking about would then be Bass Traps (or building of same) although with careful setup of the nearfield and proper use when monitoring, ie using the "conversational" low volume levels necessary to truly hear what is in your mix, one can avoid tha issue in a lot of circumstances.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

A recipe for mix confusion, sir.

There is more to a subwoofer used for fullrange audio than just being *able* to reproduce lower frequencies with gusto.

The Bass Instrument amp also has its own Instrument Preamp and EQ section built in. Differences in adjustment there would color your mix -- and you would have no way of knowing if your recordings are going to "translate" (the ability to play back on other systems and sound the same).

In other words, mixes that you make may sound full and nice to you on a system where you are using a bass instrument amp as a subwoofer, but you would have no idea where your mix stands in relation to "proper" stereo playback.

However, there is a 100 dollar answer to your problem.

Don't sell it short, it works very well.

That is the "Bazooka" subwoofer(s) that are readily available.

For example, you can purchase the Bazooka BT8014, which has built in crossover AND 150W amplification, for $99 at Walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bazooka-BT8014...434&veh=aff

I have personally used Bazookas for subwoofers in the home studio situation, have specified them when doing installations, they tend to work very well when paired with the ubiquitous nearfield monitors necessary for doing this kind of work, don't let the funny shape fool you, they flat work.

After obtaining a good quality subwoofer of this sort, don't be surprised to find that your listening environment has problems. The next purchase worth thinking about would then be Bass Traps (or building of same) although with careful setup of the nearfield and proper use when monitoring, ie using the "conversational" low volume levels necessary to truly hear what is in your mix, one can avoid tha issue in a lot of circumstances.

--Mac

ditto

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Gentleman,

The Bazooka sounds like an ideal solution, apart from whatever I have to do to connect it. I assume adapters and/or special cabling will be needed. I've seen them but didn't know what I was looking at. The form factor would be perfect for my space. I have no room on the floor, but it would fit on the base of the RTA workstation I'm using.

Many thanks to all who have responded.

Richard

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Mac,

If this is the same as bazookas of old, there is no amp included with these. These are designed for car stereo use, and are not self-powered. Amp is required - 99% sure of that.

Ryszard, just get the Polk and you'll be all set.

-Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Also be careful of your amplication, these are 4 ohm speakers.

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Why not go with the Behringer B2092A. I have one - it sits tucked away under my desk and sounds pretty good. I don't think they are too expensive.

Kevin

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Mac,

If this is the same as bazookas of old, there is no amp included with these. These are designed for car stereo use, and are not self-powered. Amp is required - 99% sure of that.

Ryszard, just get the Polk and you'll be all set.

-Scott

OOPS! -- The $99 dollar one is indeed nonpowered.

Here is a link to the POWERED BAZOOKAS:

$169.00

$199.00, 100W w/10" woofer

Thanks for catching that, Scott.

--Mac

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Gentleman,

The Bazooka sounds like an ideal solution, apart from whatever I have to do to connect it. I assume adapters and/or special cabling will be needed. I've seen them but didn't know what I was looking at. The form factor would be perfect for my space. I have no room on the floor, but it would fit on the base of the RTA workstation I'm using.

Many thanks to all who have responded.

Richard

The powered Bazookas hook up between the output of both channels of your power amp and the existing unpowered speakers. The existing speakers then hook up to the Bazookas. All of this is done using rather standard two-wire quick-connects much like found on the back of most speaker cabinets designed for home listening use.

The powered Bazookas come with hookup wire needed already in the box, long enough to handle most installations.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Why not go with the Behringer B2092A. I have one - it sits tucked away under my desk and sounds pretty good. I don't think they are too expensive.

Kevin

Mainly because they quit making it, but also because it's far too big and expensive. I was aware of it--it was made for the Truth series and was the first thing I looked for--but there ya have it.

Edited to add: Plus, 360 WRMS? Are you out of your mind? I suppose I could always keep it around if I ever needed to break my lease.

Last edited by Ryszard; 07/27/12 01:30 AM.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
This $95 powered Polk is compact enough, variable cross-over to tune to work with your behringers, etc. Just go get the thing. Sorry to disagree with Mac a bit, but this thing would be a better match for your use with monitor speakers that already should have plenty of grunt. You can dial in the cross-over frequency with this thing, not the Bazooka, as far as I can tell. You are not going to want to dial that crossover much over 100 Hz, would be my guess, maybe even lower. You'll have to use your ears. Plus, it's $95 and it's Polk audio.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/ele/3135733426.html

-Scott

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,632
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234
38,498 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193