#169358 08/07/12 03:53 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
A
av84fun Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
A
I couldn't find any reference in Help to an ability to scan in sheet music/lead sheets into BIAB so I assume it doesn't have that capability.

I also went quite a few pages deep into the Wishlist but saw nothing there.

Is it just a pipe dream to want to be able to simply "scan" sheet music into BIAB?

There are programs like PhotoScore that supposedly can create midi files from even hand written scores. Cost a few hundred but do I assume correctly that a midi file score scanned by PhotoScore...or a similar program cannot be imported into BIAB?

I read in Help that midi files CAN be imported but only into the Melody track.

Hmmm...the deeper I get into this post, the dumber it is sounding to me. (-:

I guess what I am getting at is the ability to scan in chord changes and possibly also a melody track from a printed score and end up with a full band BIAB arrangement...with all the repeates, 1st/2nd endings DS and DC stuff etc.????

So...

1. Yes.
2. No.
3. Maybe
4. Make your own arrangements you lazy sod!!!
(-:

Best,
Jim

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Wow, not aware of any program that can do that well. BIAB can not as far as I've ever known.

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Journeyman
Journeyman
"I couldn't find any reference in Help to an ability to scan in sheet music/lead sheets into BIAB so I assume it doesn't have that capability."

Yes, pipe dream. Sort of like optical character recognition, but harder. There are programs that attempt this, word is not to well. Not BIAB.

"I also went quite a few pages deep into the Wishlist but saw nothing there."

Try search.

"Is it just a pipe dream to want to be able to simply "scan" sheet music into BIAB?"

Again,yes - not to repeat myself.

"There are programs like PhotoScore that supposedly can create midi files from even hand written scores. Cost a few hundred but do I assume correctly that a midi file score scanned by PhotoScore...or a similar program cannot be imported into BIAB?"

If these other programs output BIAB files or .mid files, then it can work. And I caution against "assuming so"

"I read in Help that midi files CAN be imported but only into the Melody track."

Actually, Melody of Soloist track. And one track to Melody and one to Soloist. Better yet - 16 tracks of midi to Melody and/or Soloist. Now you're cooking.

"Hmmm...the deeper I get into this post, the dumber it is sounding to me. (-:

I guess what I am getting at is the ability to scan in chord changes and possibly also a melody track from a printed score and end up with a full band BIAB arrangement...with all the repeates, 1st/2nd endings DS and DC stuff etc.????"

Nope. Chord entry is easy. If you have a midi keyboard you can just play the chord on that, hit ctrl-enter, and BIAB will read and enter the chord. You will want to enter the melody manually or import it from midi. The pick a tempo and style, and you are in BIAB Heaven, or at least at the gates.

As you get into this, you may find, like many, that repeats and endings are finicky, and it is often preferred to unfold the song into one chorus.

Good luck.

kelso

Dell Desktop XPS 8100 W10 HomePrem/64 / Core i5 760 (quad, 2.8GHz) / 8GB DDR3 / 1 TB SATA / ViewSonic VG2428wm / EMU1616 PCI / Event ASP6 Active Monitors / BIAB 2019 64 bit (609) / Cakewalk
Veteran
Veteran

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
Veteran
Veteran
It's always been possible to bring a MIDI file into BIAB. Chord data won't transfer, but notes will. It doesn't matter how the MIDI file was created, and music scanner programs can do that.

What I have never seen is any program that correctly understands song form, like repeats and endings, by importing MIDI. I hope someone here knows of one.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
C
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
C
Sibelius is meant to read scanned score and display it for edit / whatever.

I know a few people who swear by it - but more who swear at it! - the main problem seesm to be that scanners break up the music staves - especially is the scan is not exactly square & hand written is worse!

And even then - you cant import that into biab

I just find some quiet time & re-capture manually - Chords first and then the notation

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Band in a Box has MIDI Chord Wizard that can extrapolate the chords from a standard MIDI file and place them on the BB Chordgrid.

Because all of the MIDI data notes are known values, it can be very accurate indeed.

The caveat is that sometimes, in a dense MIDI file, one must use the SEQ button and mute parts that are the Melody or Solos or other enhancements in order to get "just the chords" without the code thinking that the other notes are extensions.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I read in Help that midi files CAN be imported but only into the Melody track.

Yes they can but don't be fooled into thinking actual chords are part of a midi file, they're not. Chords are not part of the midi standard, just the notes. Therefore what programs do with a midi file is make educated guesses as to what the chord should be based on what notes fall on any particular beat. Think about that for a minute and you can see that while the basic chord should be say Emaj9, there could be a harmonic bass note and two accidentals being played by the piano or guitar or even horns on that exact beat that the program is going to see and instead of a Emaj9 it says G#7#9b13 or some such thing that makes no sense to you looking for a basic fake chart chord. That's why Mac said you may have to go in and mute some of the instrument parts to make it simpler and then the program can be more accurate but many times you still have to make some changes yourself. Even with errors, creating the chord grid from a midi file is still pretty cool, better than starting from scratch.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Expert
Expert
I only used the Sibelius student 4.0 for a number of years. I did purchase Photoscore professional. Not only was that a waste of money, it took more time to edit and correct the scans than it did to just enter the notes manually. I tossed it. I'm using PrintMusic now and haven't tried scanning any music with it or even know if it has that feature. I think the main problem is, as someone alluded to, ocr. There are lots of varied sizes and styles of notation and printed qualities of it also. If it sounds too good to be true....(ad nauseum).

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
D
Apprentice
Apprentice
D
Photoscore is a lot better now than it used to be but I still end up spending so much time correcting the scan that I almost never bother.

The harder I work the luckier I get.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I find that I am the best Photoscanner -- So I simply put the music on the stand and then record it into the computer with one of my MIDI keyboards. Use the metronome and set the key signature and tempo first, right?

Consider that for a Fake Chart you only need concern yourself with recording the Melody after entering the chords...

In BiaB, the MIDI Keyboard Wizard can be used to quickly enter notation on the Melody track as well. See the FAW or the help file on how to do that and then move the notes to the correct positions quickly with the mouse after tapping in the notes in the right rhythm patterns.

This is the fastest way to get it and get it right I know.

--Mac

P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
I know this post is old, but I was wondering if there are any updated suggestions for a software to scan into BIAB? I've heard of Scanscore, but don't know if it would work, or if anyone knows of other options.

C
Expert
Online Content
Expert
C
Originally Posted By: pianowillbebach
I know this post is old, but I was wondering if there are any updated suggestions for a software to scan into BIAB? I've heard of Scanscore, but don't know if it would work, or if anyone knows of other options.

Scanscore looks promising, I will try it, thanks

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Veteran
Veteran
Nope. This came up fairly recently and still nothing is that good. The best results and still not great, you must start with a good, clean commercially produced chart to scan. Most I've seen are copies of copies. A lot of those copies originated from commercial music books that are deliberately made considerably bigger than standard paper for the specific reason of making it harder for people to scan/copy. Charts with melodies are copyrighted and cannot legally be copied.

This is in the same category as taking a recording, run it through some software and out pops a midi file and a chart. That ain't happening either.

I have no doubt that it will happen eventually but not yet. I have read a few articles about university audio labs where they're using custom built supercomputers using custom software that can do stuff like that but that's a far cry from something any of us can go out and buy.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
C
Expert
Online Content
Expert
C
I would say that music scan programs work much better now than several years ago. Most of them do a fairly good job when scanning good quality and clean charts, but most of them fail miserabily if you try to use them with old / deteriorated / hand material.

The best software I've found until now is PDF to Music Pro, from Myriad Software. It doesn't perform any OCR process, instead it extracts information directly from the PDF, so if you're using PDF files produced by any notation software (Musescore, Sibelius, etc) as a source material it will work near perfectly, otherwise it won't work AT ALL.
http://www.myriad-online.com/en/products/pdftomusicpro.htm

I've just tried Scanscore, which in fact is a module of the Notation Suite Forte 10 that can be bought separately. It works fairly well and is very easy to use, but again you need to use clean, commercially produced charts.
https://scan-score.com/en/

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, I recently wrote about PDF to Music Pro, and it’s exactly as Cerio said. It’s also expensive.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
#709255 03/17/22 02:05 AM
M
M
Originally Posted By: Urker
I use ScanScore for this purpose and like it.

Absolutely agree. Scan Sore is doing a great job. Give it a try and keep us posted whether it has worked for you.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
It's always been possible to bring a MIDI file into BIAB. Chord data won't transfer, but notes will. It doesn't matter how the MIDI file was created, and music scanner programs can do that.

We just wanted to point out that there is a feature to bring in Chord info from a MIDI file (assuming that the file has chords and is not mainly melodic). It's under File | Import | Import Chords from MIDI file.

Band-in-a-Box does not have a PDF scanning feature, but there are all great suggestions of how to do it in this thread. I personally prefer inputting the notes myself to avoid any mistakes in the scanning process. And it helps me to pay extra attention to the music as I do it. It really all depends on your workflow and personal preference though.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
import_chords_from_MIDI.png (37.37 KB, 92 downloads)

Best,
Chantelle
Veteran
Veteran
Chantelle, I thank you for the gentle correction! I love it when I find out BIAB can do more than I thought. Such a wondrous program.

I wonder when this feature was added. The MIDI standard still does not include the storage of chord data, so I assume BIAB must be doing its own examination of the imported MIDI data and supplying what it analyzes to be the chords. This is often open to interpretation. I want to try some experiments of this BIAB feature, since it could be very helpful in my work. Again, thank you for your correction!

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Chantelle, I thank you for the gentle correction! I love it when I find out BIAB can do more than I thought. Such a wondrous program.

I wonder when this feature was added. The MIDI standard still does not include the storage of chord data, so I assume BIAB must be doing its own examination of the imported MIDI data and supplying what it analyzes to be the chords. This is often open to interpretation. I want to try some experiments of this BIAB feature, since it could be very helpful in my work. Again, thank you for your correction!

Looking back through the installations on my computer, this feature is in the 2014 version. We don't have older versions than this to look back on to see if it was introduced any earlier. And you're right, MIDI files do not have chord data so it is Band-in-a-Box interpreting the chords and inputting the chord names into the Chords view.

Best,
Chantelle
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,557
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199