Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
WienSam Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I need to buy a new professional lead vocal mic for singing at live gigs. I am pretty confident about Sure as a brand but I have been to their website and it appears there would be 9 different mic models that would be suitable. What are the advantages / disadvantages of these different mics? Does anybody have experience with all of them? Which one would you recommend and why?

The list is as follows:

SM 48 (S)
SM 58
PG 48 (anything to do with PG Music?)
PG 58 (anything to do with PG Music?)
BETA 58A
SUPER 55
SUPER 55 (SE)
565 SD
55 SH

Any other suggestions?

As usual, many thanks in advance

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sam, don't dismiss the SM57. It's the same element found in the SM58 but in a somewhat better-looking package. Both are stage worthy and built like the proverbial brick oothoos (Canadian for outhouse).

A serious caution: Know your source. They are among the most counterfeited mics in the world. An untrained eye will never detect the fakes.

This short clip is an eye opener: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whfm6F-wK6g

See also under SM57 counterfeits.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I love this one Cad 189

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I actually don't like the beta 58a. Too finicky on the pattern. My experience with it is that the singer has to maintain pretty consistent control of positioning of the mic to prevent significant swings in level. Probably designed this way but not very forgiving to those with less than excellent mic technique. Check out EV PL80a as a less expensive alternative. A new fave for me that also works well on acoustic guitar.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Hard to go wrong with the good ol 58. Won't get complaints from any sound engineer if you show up with that.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Another vote for the SM57. If you purchase one its not going to be wasted.

I have had the Sm58 against the SM57 and for me the 57 is more 'musical' it captures the partials better. I find the SM58 to quite a brittle sound. This is when using my sax, may be different when using for vocals which is its main use.

58 is more of a default mic rather than a quality mic. Its very robust and reliable but is this what you want?

Zero

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
BETA 58 from the Shure lineup. Latest technology, incorporates Neodymium magnet, lots of "gain before feedback" and a great choice for the male voice.

My personal fav has been the AUDIX OM-5 for the past few years. Although I own Beta 58 as well, the Audix OM-5 has won out in quite few situations. It is also Neodymium magnet technology as well.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I won't recommend a mic for you Sam.The reason is that there are soooooo many and they all have their own characteristics. You must try out many mics until you find the one that suits your voice.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Quote:

http://www.gearwire.com/audix-om5-shurebeta58-shootout.html

There are so many technical problems with this 'shootout'; somewhat eluded to by the person doing the video, that I wouldn't say it's worth much to be honest.

It's certainly not a real A/B test. Gain before feedback portion was particularly unscientifically conducted.

Regardless, I screwed up on my distaste for a particular beta. It's the Beta 57C that has caused me issues: http://www.shure.com/idc/groups/public/documents/webcontent/us_pro_beta87c_specsheet.pdf

While the polar patterns look kind of normal, that's not been our experience in using it. On axis sensitivity seems way more sensitive than the 10 dB delta that is shown in low-mids from close (.4") to far (2ft). In my experience, it has been more like 10 dB with a 6" change. The mic is currently relegated to talk-back channel use in our system. If we get some channel compression on the lead vocalist's channel, then perhaps we'll put this thing back into lead vocal service.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Scott's correct, of course.

My comment?

That's not a test, that's not even a "shootout" - that's just a video.

Both mics are darn good modern mics, no question, I'd feel good about finding either one on the stand at any show.

The older SM-58 design may sound better to older ears more used to the kind of sound that the older Alnico based magnetics bring to the game. But if you are having to do anything at high volume levels, the newer Neodymium magnetics simply generate more signal for the same amount of moving air.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
First of all: the choise of a vocal microphone for a singer is an individual choise. It is, like any instrument, something of personal taste and feel. You can pick a good quality mic from a list you find on the net or reccomendation from experts. his will however not guarantee you that that mic is the ideal mic for you! You will have to testdrive some mics in your budget to be able to pick your favourit. Be sure to try both dynamic and condenser type microphones!
(for all guitarplayers: which guitar is the best?)

Having said that, here are some mics and my opinion about them:

- Shure SM58: Good quality dynamic microphone with a clear sound. Used a lot in rental situations because almost anyone can use this mic without any problem. (the PG-series are the budget versions of the Shure microphones: not the same standards as the originals.)

- Shure SM57: Dynamic microphone much like the SM58, used mainly for instruments. Although used by some as a vocal mic I would not reccomend it. Reason for this is the fact that the SM57 doesn't have a built-in popfilter to keep moist (spit) from the capsule.

- Shure Beta 58A: The professional brother of the SM58. Tends to sound a bit warmer.

- Shure Beta 87A: Good quality condenser microphone. Like with all condenser mics, this one requires the singer to have microphone technique. Another thing with condenser microphones is the fact that they need Phantom Power. Make sure your mixing desk can provide that!

- Sennheiser E 845: Good quality dynamic microphone. Comparable with the Shure SM58, but slightly warmer sounding (and much nicer design )

- Sennheiser E 945: Professional version of the 845. Haven't tried this one myself yet.

- Sennheiser E 865: Good quality condenser microphone. I've been using this one (the wireless version) for about 8 or 9 years now. One of my favourit mics!

- Sennheiser E 965: When my 865 dies someday; this is the replacement mic for me.

- AKG D7: Dynamic vocal microphone. AKG makes some pretty good mics (I love the AKG C451 and D112) but I don't like the handling of their vocal mics. This has nothing to do with the quality, just my personal feel.

- AKG C535 eb: Condenser vocal microphone. See remarks on the D7.

- Audio Technica AE4100: Very good dynamic vocal microphone. This one has a cardioid pattern. The AE6100 has a polar pattern. I would reccomend the AE4100 opposed to the AE6100.

Audio Technica AE5400: Cardioid type condenser microphone. This one is very easy to work with, you almost only have to think your lines and this microphone will pick them up. Great microphone.

The there are brands like Rode, Neumann etc who make excellent microphones. It all boils down to personal taste and feel. Not every microphone is suitable for your voice. You will have to testdrive several of them. Take someone with you to have a listen also.

Like Don said: There are a lot of counterfeit microphones on the market. When you buy from a descent store you are almost sure to get the original product you paid for. Buying from private persons on the internet...well, let's say you won't be the first to end up with a cheap fake microphone.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The SM57 as a vocal mic (recorded dry then with EQ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=MHBB42rbkJo

This is the sound that I personally prefer for vocals.

Notice the caveat about counterfeit/fake SM57s flooding the market and that music stores will say "It not a VOCAL microphone!" I wish I had a pfennig for every hit that was sung through an SM57. Further, it IS an excellent instrument mic. I used it on acoustic guitar for years. Just my humble opinion. Your mileage may vary.

My son recently bought an expensive AKG and, to my ear, the SM57 sounds much better, FWIW.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
All of the vocals on my Motagator site were sung through a 2 quid computer "stick mic". Just sayin'.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Citaat:

The SM57 as a vocal mic (recorded dry then with EQ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=MHBB42rbkJo

This is the sound that I personally prefer for vocals.

Notice the caveat about counterfeit/fake SM57s flooding the market and that music stores will say "It not a VOCAL microphone!" I wish I had a pfennig for every hit that was sung through an SM57. Further, it IS an excellent instrument mic. I used it on acoustic guitar for years. Just my humble opinion. Your mileage may vary.

My son recently bought an expensive AKG and, to my ear, the SM57 sounds much better, FWIW.

The only reason I do not reccomend the SM57 as a vocal microphone for regular (stage) use is the fact that it lacks a popfilter. This makes the capsule highly vaunerable to moist and therefor is more likely to break down long before it's lifetime. The SM57 is a good microphone, I own 4 of them and I use them on guitar cabinets and snare bottoms. The SM58 (same capsule) does have a popfilter and is therefor much better suited for vocals.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent points, Mike. I'm only saying that it (the 57) is, and has been, a popular VOCAL mic in spite of contrary opinion. The 58 has a slightly better response curve but, having owned both, I prefer the 57. I was not aware of an increased "moisture" problem. Also, most studios use external "pop filters" anyway. I was just stating an opinion and opinions are like anal sphincters, everybody has one.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Audix Om2

There's a shoot out on YouTube. The Bose systems are paired with them in presets.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
WienSam Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Also, most studios use external "pop filters" anyway.

The thing is, this mic is not for the studio (where I have a Rode and a popguard) but for live use in front of an audience

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I've heard yer voice on a youtube or two before, Sam.

Be sure to try to audition both the Shure Beta 58 and the Audix OM-5 mics, I think they will do you well.

The older SM-58 design would also be a good choice, warmer but lacking the punch through of the newer designs. That punch-through thang shouldn't be ignored, it translates to being able to belt longer with less fatigue, man.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

Also, most studios use external "pop filters" anyway.

The thing is, this mic is not for the studio (where I have a Rode and a popguard) but for live use in front of an audience

I understood that, Sam! Somehow the thread drifted to a comparison between the 58 (pop filtered) and 57 (no pop filter). Sorry to appear to have hijacked your thread. It was unintentional.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,548
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199