Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello to everyone.

Been "lurcking" here in the forum for several months. Following discussions,
listening to songs, gaining a lot of insight, getting a few chuckles.
Heard some really nice productions.
All the while, longing for the day that I could call on that stable of musicians
that you guys/gals "pal around with".

That day finally came.

Had BIAB back in 1993 (Version 5). My upgrade to version 6 came on 5 1/4 inch floppies (I still have them).
Never really used it except to verify chord placement and timing to write
Nashville Number charts or for a click track. (Never had a good synth).

So I've got a LOT to learn (though I have learned some tricks thanks to the folks on this forum).

So here is a first effort.

Out On A Limb

1877 Fiddle, Soloist CountryRob Ev 120
618 Fiddle, Background Allis Ev 120
1690 Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopPromise Ev16 100 Solo
Pedal Steel, Background Easy Ev 136
Pedal Steel, Background Ev 085
NashvilleEven8^2-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat
Bass - midi from C_90BAL.STY (Country 90's Ballad)

The fiddle and pedal steel parts were combinations (a piece here, a piece there).
I had already laid a couple of acoustic guitar tracks before "the band" came
(musicians are always late)

Harmonies courtesy of The BAIBettes.

Comments welcomed/encouraged. Can't learn otherwise...

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like it. Nice lyrics and hook. Excellent fills. Spot on mix for my taste. Yup...splits and joins are about the only way to get tasteful realtrack fills yours work well. Good job all the way around.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Floyd and Welcome to the forum!

You're going to have a blast with the new BIAB - I imagine there's quite a bit of improvement over those floppies.

Great first song post. My suggestion would be to change your second verse to third person - in other words saying "her" instead of "you". That way there's no confusion who you're talking to after the collective "you" that you're using in the chorus.

Otherwise I think this is a terrific song. Really nice job with the BIABettes and the tracks. Nice voice you got there too.

Good job.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

stable of musicians

I love those descriptive terms! Stable and Oklahoma musicians are never far apart. Don't step right yonder! I never allow my horse to think he's smarter than me even when the evidence is overwhelming!

Seriously, I really liked your song, especially as a first effort.

The vox was on pitch and very expressive.

Story line was very good, especially after doing the modifications that Sundance noted.

My big thing, as always, is the lack of a nice instrumental break in there somewhere. Electric guitar and/or resonator guitar or fiddle and harmonica would fit in nicely. That's just a personal preference, not a criticism.

I look forward to hearing many more from you. Don't take my biased opinion discourage you. I meant it as encouragement.

Two thumbs up!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Mootsman

Thanks for the kind words. Always nice to have someone actually "like" something.

Last edited by floyd jane; 08/12/12 05:33 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Josie -

There IS a LOT of new stuff. But the interface has remained pretty much the same after all these years. Of course, dealing with the Real Tracks is all new to me - and the reason that I "came back" to BIAB. Had no idea about these changes until I stumbled onto it a few months back (and was totally amazed! It was finally what I had always wished it would be).

An interseting observation - the you/her issue. It's the difference between singing/writing songs "to" someone as opposed to "about" someone. I tend to lean towards the "to". But you may be right in this case. I'll probably try that and see how that feels. Thanks for the suggestion.

The BIABettes are a great addition to the programs. Give 'em a chord sheet and they go to town....

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Really nice, esp the lyric..and you picked a nice rhyming hook.

I'd second the advice about adding some instrumental in there..

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Don -

Thanks for taking the time to listen. I know you are an instrumental-break-kind-of-guy... I've heard some really nice ones out of you. Like I said, I've been hanging around for a while...

But I spent a lot of time writing in an environment where the people listening wanted nothing to do with anything other than a short beginning and get-to-the-song. The lyrics/message/story/hook/melody was really the only thing that mattered and there was no time for sitting through istrumental breaks. So you get to the point where you no longer consider that... you get away from it because it "gets in the way"... minds wonder and songs get turned off, they move on... You are "trained" to "get to the point".

As I continue on, I'll try to throw a few in.

User Showcase
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Good story - and I like how the second and first verses connect even though in one you're a child and in the second you're an adult.

Strong lead vocal and excellent backing vocals. The choice of instruments backs it up well - a couple of good hooks and I like the chord changes, especially in the chorus. Well done.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Cool Song! Love the lyrics!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Paul, Tommy -

Thanks for the comments (and for listening).

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well it

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
One fantastic song, great performance. Excellent lyrics. Thanks for sharing your God given talent.

My Music

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
User Showcase
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Great lyrics, and a very fine first attempt. Welcome to the forum.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Good stuff!!! So good I wish I had "done writ it my damned self"!! I don't know if you meant "going out on a limb" literally or metaphorically but it works either way.

Nice BGV. Multi track of your voice or hardware?

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I couldn't get it to play. Sorry.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
MarioD, PgFantastic ,Robh - Thanks guys! Really appreciate the comments.

eddie - not sure a compliment gets any better than that. The BGVs were done in RealBand using the harmonizer plugin. Running my vocal through it and using the chords from BIAB. Used to use hardware (Studio Vocalist), but this makes it a LOT easier.

jptjptjpt - the page loads a jscript to provide the "play button" (quicktime). I would guess you have your browser set to block it (it's safe code - people use it all the time).

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Man I love your style. I love the lyrics and the use of "Band in a Box" I love the Background vocals. When I first heard this song I was like "Alright" What version are you using? I have BIAB 2011.5 the everything pack. If this is a sample of the newest BIAB I am going to get it. I great song, vocals and tune. Wonderful hook, love it.

Music is an expression that is a universal language, Never criticize anybody to harshly. They need time to grow but when they do, they do. Always be kind in what you say and do because the man upstairs is watching.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
hi floyd another keeper there,s a lot of talent on this forum keep them comming thanks for sharing great mix and vocal and arrangement has pro sound eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well Mr Lurker, mark August 11th, 2023 on your calendar as the day you posted your first song here! You finally pulled the trigger. That’s a big first step. Welcome to the forum! My apologies for not responding sooner. I like to be REALLY on top of these things.

That being said, I think you’re going to find a lot of opportunity to grow and find new things to try. We are all here for the same things; write songs, help others do the same, and BS a little.

Now about this song of yours. I have to say it’s really a good song all the way around. I’m guessing this ain’t your first rodeo? There’s a lot of talent already there and I’m sure it will be fun to watch/hear where things go going forward.

Lyrics, arrangement, melodic choices, even that voice all seem right on point! Mixing is very nice too! You’ve got a lot going for ya. It’s not said often here, but that’s a radio ready sure hit.

Now my advice is to not be a stranger. I want to encourage you to keep writing and be open to new ideas. It can be easy to just keep doing things the same way, get bored, or frustrated and stop. Some people even walk away to do something like play golf or whatever. Like that would be less frustrating! I’m not sure if you’ve ever played? I’m guessing by the song you probably have never played. But who knows, I guess. You might totally surprise me and say you golf, or paint, or whatever. You never know with some people. Don’t laugh too quickly. They are out there.

Lastly, I would recommend steering clear of this new country you hear. There’s nothin’ there for you. Believe me when I say this, if it ain’t a cliche’ wanna be of the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s country it ain’t real country. Stick with tried and true. They way things were is how it oughta stay. If it’s already been done, there’s a reason it was. The more times it’s been done, the better the idea. If it hasn’t been done, obviously there’s a reason for that. It’s a bad idea. Change is the enemy. The one thing you have in your favor is at least technology is at a stand still and will be for a long time. Possibly forever. We’ve finally arrived, as they say.

Anyway, I’ll stop rambling on. I usually don’t type this much as I don’t have much to say. So to summarize…
Good song
Welcome to the forum
Be open to new ideas
Stick to what’s already been done

Keep all of this in mind and you might find yourself here years from now having written a good number of songs. You’d be surprised how fast a decade or more can fly by taking that first step out on a limb. Did you see what I did there? I’ve found people like it best when you say something that’s not that clever, but point it out as if it were clever. They also like when you explain it to them.

Sometimes I wish we could get a glimpse of the future today to see how things turn out for a young buck like you. But, there’s no way around just having to wait.

This one truly goes to 11. smile

Last edited by HearToLearn; 08/11/23 04:33 AM.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195