Index
#169889 - 08/11/12 03:00 PM [User Showcase] newbie going "Out On A Limb"
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Hello to everyone.

Been "lurcking" here in the forum for several months. Following discussions,
listening to songs, gaining a lot of insight, getting a few chuckles.
Heard some really nice productions.
All the while, longing for the day that I could call on that stable of musicians
that you guys/gals "pal around with".

That day finally came.

Had BIAB back in 1993 (Version 5). My upgrade to version 6 came on 5 1/4 inch floppies (I still have them).
Never really used it except to verify chord placement and timing to write
Nashville Number charts or for a click track. (Never had a good synth).

So I've got a LOT to learn (though I have learned some tricks thanks to the folks on this forum).

So here is a first effort.

Out On A Limb

1877 Fiddle, Soloist CountryRob Ev 120
618 Fiddle, Background Allis Ev 120
1690 Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopPromise Ev16 100 Solo
Pedal Steel, Background Easy Ev 136
Pedal Steel, Background Ev 085
NashvilleEven8^2-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat
Bass - midi from C_90BAL.STY (Country 90's Ballad)

The fiddle and pedal steel parts were combinations (a piece here, a piece there).
I had already laid a couple of acoustic guitar tracks before "the band" came
(musicians are always late)

Harmonies courtesy of The BAIBettes.

Comments welcomed/encouraged. Can't learn otherwise...

floyd

#169890 - 08/11/12 05:29 PM [User Showcase] Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
I like it. Nice lyrics and hook. Excellent fills. Spot on mix for my taste. Yup...splits and joins are about the only way to get tasteful realtrack fills yours work well. Good job all the way around.
J&B Website

#169891 - 08/11/12 05:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" [Re: floyd jane]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Hey Floyd and Welcome to the forum!

You're going to have a blast with the new BIAB - I imagine there's quite a bit of improvement over those floppies.

Great first song post. My suggestion would be to change your second verse to third person - in other words saying "her" instead of "you". That way there's no confusion who you're talking to after the collective "you" that you're using in the chorus.

Otherwise I think this is a terrific song. Really nice job with the BIABettes and the tracks. Nice voice you got there too.

Good job.

#169892 - 08/11/12 07:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" [Re: Sundance]
Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Quote:

stable of musicians

I love those descriptive terms! Stable and Oklahoma musicians are never far apart. Don't step right yonder! I never allow my horse to think he's smarter than me even when the evidence is overwhelming!

Seriously, I really liked your song, especially as a first effort.

The vox was on pitch and very expressive.

Story line was very good, especially after doing the modifications that Sundance noted.

My big thing, as always, is the lack of a nice instrumental break in there somewhere. Electric guitar and/or resonator guitar or fiddle and harmonica would fit in nicely. That's just a personal preference, not a criticism.

I look forward to hearing many more from you. Don't take my biased opinion discourage you. I meant it as encouragement.

Two thumbs up!

#169893 - 08/12/12 08:32 AM [User Showcase] Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" [Re: Janice & Bud]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Mootsman

Thanks for the kind words. Always nice to have someone actually "like" something.

Edited by floyd jane (08/12/12 08:33 AM)

#169894 - 08/12/12 08:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" [Re: Sundance]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Josie -

There IS a LOT of new stuff. But the interface has remained pretty much the same after all these years. Of course, dealing with the Real Tracks is all new to me - and the reason that I "came back" to BIAB. Had no idea about these changes until I stumbled onto it a few months back (and was totally amazed! It was finally what I had always wished it would be).

An interseting observation - the you/her issue. It's the difference between singing/writing songs "to" someone as opposed to "about" someone. I tend to lean towards the "to". But you may be right in this case. I'll probably try that and see how that feels. Thanks for the suggestion.

The BIABettes are a great addition to the programs. Give 'em a chord sheet and they go to town....

#169895 - 08/12/12 08:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Tano Music Online   content
Expert

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Really nice, esp the lyric..and you picked a nice rhyming hook.

I'd second the advice about adding some instrumental in there..

#169896 - 08/12/12 01:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" [Re: Don Gaynor]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Don -

Thanks for taking the time to listen. I know you are an instrumental-break-kind-of-guy... I've heard some really nice ones out of you. Like I said, I've been hanging around for a while...

But I spent a lot of time writing in an environment where the people listening wanted nothing to do with anything other than a short beginning and get-to-the-song. The lyrics/message/story/hook/melody was really the only thing that mattered and there was no time for sitting through istrumental breaks. So you get to the point where you no longer consider that... you get away from it because it "gets in the way"... minds wonder and songs get turned off, they move on... You are "trained" to "get to the point".

As I continue on, I'll try to throw a few in.

#169897 - 08/12/12 09:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Sydney, Australia
pinglis Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Good story - and I like how the second and first verses connect even though in one you're a child and in the second you're an adult.

Strong lead vocal and excellent backing vocals. The choice of instruments backs it up well - a couple of good hooks and I like the chord changes, especially in the chorus. Well done.

#169898 - 08/13/12 07:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" [Re: pinglis]
Tommyc Offline
Veteran

Cool Song! Love the lyrics!

#169899 - 08/14/12 05:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" [Re: Tommyc]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Paul, Tommy -

Thanks for the comments (and for listening).

#169900 - 08/18/12 10:12 PM [User Showcase] Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Well it

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#169901 - 08/19/12 01:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" [Re: Tommyc]
Loc: Kentucky
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kentucky
One fantastic song, great performance. Excellent lyrics. Thanks for sharing your God given talent.

My Music

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.

#169902 - 08/19/12 11:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" [Re: PgFantastic]
Loc: California
Robh Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
Great lyrics, and a very fine first attempt. Welcome to the forum.
Toshiba dual core Win 7 8 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Professional, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, jazz bass clone, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

#169903 - 08/19/12 12:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" [Re: Robh]
eddie1261 Online   content
Veteran

Good stuff!!! So good I wish I had "done writ it my damned self"!! I don't know if you meant "going out on a limb" literally or metaphorically but it works either way.

Nice BGV. Multi track of your voice or hardware?

#169904 - 08/19/12 01:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" [Re: eddie1261]
jptjptjpt Offline
Apprentice

I couldn't get it to play. Sorry.

#169905 - 08/20/12 10:14 AM [User Showcase] Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" [Re: jptjptjpt]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

MarioD, PgFantastic ,Robh - Thanks guys! Really appreciate the comments.

eddie - not sure a compliment gets any better than that. The BGVs were done in RealBand using the harmonizer plugin. Running my vocal through it and using the chords from BIAB. Used to use hardware (Studio Vocalist), but this makes it a LOT easier.

jptjptjpt - the page loads a jscript to provide the "play button" (quicktime). I would guess you have your browser set to block it (it's safe code - people use it all the time).

#169906 - 08/28/12 11:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Montana, USA
trapper456 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Montana, USA
Man I love your style. I love the lyrics and the use of "Band in a Box" I love the Background vocals. When I first heard this song I was like "Alright" What version are you using? I have BIAB 2011.5 the everything pack. If this is a sample of the newest BIAB I am going to get it. I great song, vocals and tune. Wonderful hook, love it.

#169907 - 08/30/12 02:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: newbie going "Out On A Limb" [Re: floyd jane]
F.M.M. Offline
Expert

hi floyd another keeper there,s a lot of talent on this forum keep them comming thanks for sharing great mix and vocal and arrangement has pro sound eric

PG Music News
With Band-in-a-Box®, Making Music Has Never Been Easier!

We came across this recent post, Music Making Software: Record, Edit, Create and Share Your Own Songs, which includes Band-in-a-Box® in their list of software you'll need to record and edit your own songs!

One of our favourite products, and one that doesn’t seem to come up much in discussions about music making software, is Band-In-A-Box from PG Music. This is probably the longest established and certainly one of the most popular music making software packages of all time. Already packed with features, the latest version has added functions that in our opinion make this an essential buy for musicians in any genre, for keyboard players, guitarists, singers, in fact any musician looking for an outstanding tool to make the most of their creative ideas.
-www.musicrepo.com

The Download Manager - Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

The "Download Manager" within Band-in-a-Box® for Windows is a great tool to confirm or help with the installation of your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows program!

What does the Download Manager do?
Automatically installs Band-in-a-Box® content (RealTracks, RealDrums, etc.) in the background, so you don't have to sit there the whole time! It can also confirm that you've completely installed your purchase.

How do you use it?
Within the program, go to Help | Utilities | Run Download/Install Manager now. Using your activation code, the program will analyze the installation folders, and list anything that still needs to be downloaded and installed.

Learn more about the Download Manager with this tutorial, or check out the topic within the Online Manual.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows Online Manual - Chord List & Shortcuts

Visit the Chord List of our Online Manual, and you'll see all the chords that can be used within the program! The list includes a few Tricky Chords and Shortcut Chords that you may find useful too!

Tricky Chords:
C5b This is "C flat 5." It is spelled this way to avoid confusion.
C2, C5, C4, C69, C7alt, Cm7#5
You can type C-7 for Cm7 (i.e. use the minus sign) or C7-9 for C7b9.

Shortcut Chords
If you enter a lot of songs, you will appreciate these shortcut keys.
J = Maj7
H = m7b5 (H stands for Half diminished)
D = dim
S = 7sus

There's even information on how to add your own chord shortcuts - check it out!

Video Request Answered - Creating Intros, Bridges, and Endings in Band-in-a-Box®

Check out the newest support video created by Kent that explains how to create intros, bridges, and endings in Band-in-a-Box®! Click here to view...

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker Feature

If you have a folder of songs that you'd always like easy access to within Band-in-a-Box, make sure you familiarize yourself with The SongPicker feature, which access the folder that you choose and lock it to!

Access the SongPicker by clicking on the [Song] button next to the title of the song within the main screen of Band-in-a-Box. The first time the SongPicker is opened, you can choose the folder to use to create the list by selecting [Change] and navigating to your preferred directory. Once chosen, select [OK - Make Song List], and Band-in-a-Box does the rest... the next time you click on [Song], you'll be taken directly to your preferred folder!

Learn even more about this feature within Chapter 5 of our Online Manual, here.

Just Launched - The FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum!

If you have a question (or questions!) about Band-in-a-Box®, PowerTracks, RealBand®, or any other PG Music Inc. product - whether it be technical support or pre-sales, there's now an easy one-stop spot to find the answer - our FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum!

Don't want to read through the 600+ posts? Use the Search FAQ option, and you can choose your key search terms to locate the topic and answer you're looking for!

Common pre-sales questions about our products, ordering, and delivery:
Pre-Sales

Technical support & troubleshooting by product:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Band-in-a-Box® for Mac
RealBand® for Windows
PowerTracks Pro® Audio for Windows
Other Products

There's even a Request New FAQs forum, if you didn't see your question answered anywhere!

Over 190 Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Today's the day we say "Happy Birthday" to Adolphe Sax, the creator of the Saxophone!
(Adolphe was born November 6, 1814 - 32 years later he patended his saxophone creation!)

We have more than 190 Saxophone RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box with the following RealTracks Sets - review the complete list here.

Check our our Saxophonist programs for Windows:
The Jazz Saxophonist
The Rock Saxophonist

Forum Stats
28226 Members
59 Forums
54910 Topics
455492 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
sophie24, EveArnold, keshu, Boilerman, LottieChambers

28225 Registered Users