Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#170044 08/12/12 09:34 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
S
OP Offline
S
I'm hoping there is a trick out there for this (I tried to search many forms of the question and couldn't find anything - but I think I did see something about this some time ago). I looked through out the practice section in the Preference menu, but couldn't find anything. I'm still on BIAB 2010. I did post this in the Tricks section, but I don't think that was the right place for the question.

I'm trying to get my rhythm better, more consistant. I'd like to setup BIAB to play along and then just mute for a measure or two and then come back in to see if my internal clock can keep steady without the rest of the band present.

Is there any practice section to do this automatically or possibly randomly? I did go in and manually alter the bars to either mute all, or reset to normal. I also set up some measures so the first beat has a single hit and then is muted again until the bar is reset to normal. This works ok, but I was hoping for some sort of automated or random muting.

Thanks!

Rob

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Hi Rob,

If your older version has the Practice Window, I think you should have this feature (IIRC).

In BiaB, I went to the Help menu, Topic Search, typed in "practice" and selected Practice Window, scrolled down the page a bit and found this:

Quote:

Chord "Breaks"
This feature is great for practicing tempo control.

Select the # of bars, and Band-in-a-Box will play for, say 4 bars (selectable), and then will rest all instruments for the next 4 bars. During the silence, you keep playing (comping, drums, melody, etc.), trying to stay in tempo. Drummers can mute the drum part. When the band comes back in after the 4 bars, you’ll get instant feedback on how well you have maintained the tempo, if the band comes in time with you or not.

Once set, this feature works automatically with all songs until you turn it off.

--Mac

Mac #170046 08/13/12 04:48 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Yep, that is it. I saw that screen and looked over it too! But I missed that. Thanks so much - hopefully you didn't spend too much time on it and hopefully someone else will see this and it will help them too.

Thanks again!,

Rob

A
Journeyman
Journeyman
A
When you're filling up with gas, lock the gas flow thingie and count along with the 10ths of a gallon for a little while, then look away and keep counting for a while and then look back to see how close you are to the correct count.

Being off by only 1/10th in 30 seconds or so is REALLY good!

Not kidding...I do it all the time if for no other reason than to avoid boredom. (I don't do windows!)

(-:

Or, if you have a stop watch...start it going for 10 seconds...close your eyes and open when you think you're at 30 seconds.

Again, not kidding. The more ways you practice rhythm the more deeply you will "feel" it.

I'll bet that great drummers...and bass players too might not be off more than 1 second in a minute. Guitar players....not so much!

(-:

Jim

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I've counted along with things like the gas (petrol) pump dispensers like that for years. Good practice for any musioian when you are doing something besides "just practicing".

If you live in an area with tunnels and commute to work, try continuing to sing a song that is on the radio when you enter the tunnel -- and see how close you are to the track when you come out of the tunnel and radio reception is restored.

When at home and playing the "Radio Game" -- which is simp;ly tuning in a station and attempting to find the key, chords, etc. to whatever musicis playing and play along with it in realtime, great ear training excercise -- try turning down the Volume on a song altogether at some point and keep counting and singing the song. Are you dead on the same place as the song when you turn the Volume back up?
The same can be done with any source, CD, tape, etc.

--Mac

Mac #170049 08/14/12 09:59 AM
A
Journeyman
Journeyman
A
Great stuff Mac. However, I'm not sure whether your and/or my or anyone else's "drills" can actually be expected to do anything other than measure how good...or bad...our "internal rhythm clocks" are calibrated.

In other words, I'm not sure drilling will actually improve rhythm.

Personally, I think that some have rhythm and some don't. Some are "speed uppers" and some are "slow downers" by nature.

Similarly, I don't think we can drill for "perfect pitch" in spite of the ads running in Guitar Player Magazine for the past 25 years!!!!

And like my former golf instructor said...when amateurs "practice" all they're doing is "grooving their flaws."!!!! SO true for me. I REALLY have a "repeatable swing." REPEATABLY BAD!!!! (-:

(-:

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Anyone can improve their abilities with a proper practice regimen.

I've proven that with far too many students, grad students, master classes, etc.

The French word for "practice" is repetition...

BUT first one must know that the routine they have selected is proper for the best learning curve plus how to go about the few minutes a day it takes to *change* bad habits into ones that *WORK*.

Not excellence, but the *pursuit* of excellence.

If you say that you can't do it, your reward will be that you cannot do it.

Counting the whole time music is going on, plus keeping time, is a *discipline* and any discipline can be improved upon over time.

I encourage you to go for it.

--Mac

Mac #170051 08/15/12 10:10 AM
Expert
Expert
I'm with Mac on this.

Of course you can improve your sense of rhythm by practice, you can also eradicate any flaws if your careful about your practice.

One useful skill is knowing where you are in a song. The way I learnt this was by counting:
1234, 2234,3234,3234,......12,2,3,4 (or similar) over songs I heard on the radio in my car. I tapped my foot. I wanted to ensure that I always knew where the one was and also where I was in the song in terms of bars. Now its internalised, I don't have to count and I know which bar and which beat I am on - this intitially took a few months.

There are lots of 'away from your instrument' excercises you can create too, for example listen to a song and count every third beat, or indetify the fifth bar without counting.

All this stuff about some people have and some have not... some work at it and some dont

And BIAB is a great training aid for this - you can slow down as much as you need.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,604
Posts735,006
Members38,512
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
BroDon, Xtian, michael07716, Ronsei, McYann
38,511 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186